The Class Agreement

By smooonie

After disappearing for the rest of her senior year, Nova is an enigma most people don't want to mess with. S... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
In Athena's Eyes: "Nova Is"
In Athena's Eyes: "Trophy Family"
End Note

15

15.7K 711 94
By smooonie

During Chemistry, I was called into the principal's office.

I remember being called to the principal's office often on multiple occasions back then. It was never for a good reason. Actually, it was usually because I was going to get suspended. The last few times were because of the year I had to sit out.

So being called over this time made my heart race.

I've been laying low, not getting into any fights. My grades are perfectly fine so it can't be that. Then again Mr. Gallagher and I have a pretty extensive history when it goes back to my first attempt at senior year. He was the one that let me come back to school.

He's not exactly mean or unreasonable, he's just intimidating. He takes his job seriously and isn't afraid to put his foot down when he needs to. Everyone respects him and nobody messes with him. I'm honestly surprised his punishments were never severe. That already says a lot.

He's an older man with thin hair that he attempts to slick back. He's always wearing some kind of suit and smells like Old Spice cologne.

I walked into his office. He was already sitting down behind his large desk. His blue suit and accessories looking sleek and clean, as usual.

He stood up and gave me a smile, "Ms. Jolie. Long-time no see."

"I didn't do anything, I swear," I said quickly.

He shook his head with his smile, "Nova, you didn't do anything. I just wanted to bring you in cause I haven't seen you at all. I would've thought you would stop by to say hi or fill me in on how everything's been."

I sighed heavily, "You've gotta be kidding. Don't scare me like that."

He sat back down in his chair and signaled me to sit too.

I carefully sat down and put my messenger bag on my lap. Now I'm slightly annoyed he'd waste my time
like this.

"The adjustment period seemed to be over long before it started," He said. "Your grades are fantastic. No ones complained about you or made any remarks."

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm just ready to graduate. I want to finish this out strong."

"How is Mr. Jolie? He must be extremely proud and happy about how well you've bounced back."

I forced a laugh, "He's ... busy these days. Only person in the house making money so ..."

"Ah ... I understand. A man's gotta do what a mans gotta do. I'm glad you both are doing better."

"Thanks, Mr. Gallagher, really. I appreciate everything you've done for me."

He shrugged, "My job is to make sure each one of my students is getting the education they need. If there are internal conflicts affecting my students I have no choice, but to get involved. You're a good kid, Nova. You deserved a second chance, never forget that."

I didn't really know what to say. This is a little ... too rehearsed. What does he really want?

I watched him lean over on his desk. The atmosphere definitely got tenser. Is he about to tell me what he really brought me in for?

He spoke in a serious tone, "But I did want to ask you about a few things,"

"Shoot."

Not like I really have a choice.

He cleared his throat and slid over some papers from his left side. I watched him closely. His eyes quickly went over the papers. He then looked back up at me.

"Word has been going around on campus about a secret fight club taking place with our very own students. Would you happen to know anything about this?" He asked.

My blood immediately ran cold. I tried to keep myself planted in my seat. I know if I start fidgeting and moving around — it'll be too obvious. I haven't played dumb in a long time and unfortunately, I know I'm rusty.

I'm not exactly the best liar, especially under pressure.

I arched my eyebrow, "Fight club?"

"Yes, a fight club."

No fucking way.

I shrugged, "I wasn't here for a year. This is completely out of my paygrade sir."

"But from the information I've gathered, you were present and attending school when this fight club was supposedly created. Which is why I'm asking you."

I narrowed my eyes, "I'm pretty sure there are other kids who were present around that time too. Not just me. Are these rumors?"

He bit the side of his lip, "These are ... mostly unconfirmed, but I have no doubt this has been going on for a long time. The evidence is lining up."

"Unconfirmed, huh?" I shook my head. "Sir, just because I was getting into fights — nothing was personal or secretive about it. You knew what was happening. It happened right here in the several halls of the school."

He scratched his chin, not taking his eyes off of me, "Hm. That's true. I just thought maybe you knew something."

"Apparently you know more than me."

"Right," He cleared his throat. "I'd also like to ask you something else."

"By all means."

Dammit.

"What was your relation with Jack Barton?"

I almost rolled my eyes hearing the sound of his name, but how does he know that me and Jack crossed paths?

Jack didn't even come back to school after that fight. He immediately transferred out.

Which probably makes it even more suspicious.

"There was no relation."

"At all? Never hung out, no exchange of words ...?"

I shook my head, "No sir."

The way he was looking at me said he either didn't believe a word that came out of my mouth or he's super skeptical.

"What about Gunnar Bates? He's not a student here anymore, but —"

"Seen em' a few times back then. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Pretty chill guy when he was here."

"Any ever word from him about having a group of people always around... fighting ... and what not? When he was here of course."

"Gunnar and I never talked much. We just had mutual friends."

"Hm. Okay then. Since second hour is about to begin, you can be on your way," He stood up. "Thanks again."

I stood up and I could barely feel my legs.

"Have a good day," I said while adjusting myself.

"You too, Nova."

I left as fast as I possibly could without seeming nervous, but I was beyond nervous.

Jack? Gunnar? How many other people have been listed? It seems like there's only a matter of time before they figure out the truth. They're connecting the dots slowly, but surely.

I have to warn Gunnar and fast. If he gets roped we all will probably. Who knows what Mr. Gallagher is planning to do.

Expulsion. Maybe even get the police involved.

Gunnar dropped out a while ago, but that doesn't mean he can't get in trouble for conducting something like this.

The bell rang, ending first period. I jumped out of my skin and quickly rushed to Athena's class. Kids were pouring into the halls from all angles.

I rushed to Athena sitting at her desk. At first, she smiled at me, but it quickly faded away when she saw the distressed look on my face.

"Are you alright?" She asked quietly.

I shook my head, "I have to talk to you later. At lunch."

"Okay, okay. Are you hurt?"

"No, no I'm fine. I mean for now? I—"

She quickly cut me off, "Breathe. You're fine."

I wiped my face and took a deep breath, "Right."

I left her at her desk and went to my seat. Panic was continuing to swell in my chest.

I need to calm down. I can't afford another scene here in Athena's class.

What the hell am I going to do?

✸✸✸

I couldn't really focus in any of my classes. Athena didn't even bother me during our class time. Tommy kept asking me if I was okay, but right now I don't want to tell him anything. He was just at the Circle a few weeks ago. I know if I say anything he'll probably start to freak out too and something tells me he's more of a nervous wreck than I am.

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that much that they're suspicious of the Bulls. People talk too much and word spreads around like a sickness. He just completely blindsided me. I wasn't prepared for that at all and that was probably his plan — to catch me off guard.

I wonder if they brought any other students in for some harmless questioning.

When the bell rang for lunch I immediately went to Athena's classroom. I know I probably left her worrying about me. It almost makes me feel good, but right now I'm not worried about my weird suppressed feelings for her.

I knocked before entering. I didn't waste time pulling up a chair as she sat and watched me. I took off my bag and dropped it on the ground.

I spoke first, "Listen, I'm putting my full and complete trust in you."

"Nova, what is going on? You're scaring me."

"Promise me I can trust you. I need to know that I can trust you," I said.

She stared at me for a moment.

"You can trust me, I swear."

"Remember when you asked me about the Circle of Bulls?"

"And you got all defensive? Yes."

I rolled my eyes, "It's ... a fight club that belongs to this school."

She arched her eyebrow but didn't say anything else.

I continued to speak, "The fight club was made a long time ago. Obviously it's supposed to be a secret thing. I ... used to be in it. I left after some time."

"You used to fight?" She asked quietly.

"Yeah. They're clean fights though — mostly. There's rules you have to follow in the Circle or its social death in school, know what I mean?"

She nodded, "I kinda get it."

"A lot of people — apparently, I mean I'm not sure anymore. People from school — students — still go. The Circle is still going and ran by someone who used to go here. I got called to Mr. Gallagher's office today and he blindsides me with questions regarding the Circle."

Her eyes widened a little. I nodded, confirming the severity of the situation.

"Athena, he was asking me questions about people I know. He even asked me about some kid I fought in the Circle. I left for an entire year and he just told me I was present and attending school when this was going on. I don't know where they're getting all this information from, but it's bad. I don't know what he plans to do when and if they find out the truth."

"Hmm ... I assume students aren't good at keeping secrets then. You haven't been fighting recently — right?"

I shook my head, "No. I stopped way long ago. I've been laying as low as possible."

"Good. Honestly, I don't want to freak you out, but I'm sure you know you're a person of interest even if he doesn't make it seem like it. You need to warn your friends at this Circle. It's clearly not a secret anymore."

I sighed heavily, "I know ... I can't catch a damn break. I just wanted to get away from this."

"How often would you fight?"

"... A lot."

"Is ... that how you got your eyebrow scar?"

"Yes," I paused. "Among other things."

"Are you okay?"

"I ... don't know at this point," I admitted. "I now know what I know and it's probably gonna fuck with me for a little. Bad enough I feel like I have eyes on me all the time."

She reached over and grabbed my hand. I was stiff, not really knowing what to do. Her fingers closed on it. I was hesitant and nervous to do the same but I did.

After all of this commotion, here I am, holding Athena Frost's hand. Some peace in the chaos of my life.

I cleared my throat, "I hope you know I'm fighting this incredible urge to say sorry."

She laughed, "Please don't."

"I dump everything on you all the time. It's not good. You have your own life to worry about."

She tilted her head, "How many times do I have to tell you that it's not a problem?"

"Athena, what do I do?" I asked sadly.

She sighed and gently squeezed my hand, "Continue to do what you've been doing. If any information comes my way I'll warn you. I promise."

There isn't much advice she can give me. The reality of it is, is that there's not much I can do at all. I should be relatively be all right if I continue to stay away from the Circle and out of fights.

"This is totally against your job," I stated plaintively.

"That's none of your concern," She said politely. "Don't worry about me."

How could I not?

"You're the one I should be worried about. I am worried by the way," She added.

I became aware of how hard my heart was beating. It seems that this year definitely has a bit too much in store for me. To think that things were going to calm down now seems like the dumbest thing I've ever thought.

There's also another liability that I have to worry about now and that's Athena. She now knows about the Bulls. She knows the facts and she can easily run back to her boss and let him know everything.

Is this even a smart move on my part? All because I needed someone to vent to? I guess only time will tell. I may have just dug my own grave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

945K 50.3K 95
"You're always falling asleep in my class. It cant keep happening, Novalie." The professor scolded gently at the nursing student who nodded with sad...
250K 6.1K 25
| teacherxstudent | trouble on the tip of her tongue and an unnecessary rebellious attitude, a senior student learns some manners in a way not expect...
2.2M 87.1K 52
(TeacherxStudent) ❝ i found love where it wasn't supposed to be, right in front of me ❞ - Amber Run Sent to a boarding school in Eng...
315K 10K 38
Drew is just trying to survive life let alone high school. Her two best friend are her entire world and she loves to dance. There's a new English te...