The Link To Light, (Published...

Galing kay queenFaithofficial

Book cover is made by PeculiarPraise. The first installment in the light series. The Link To Light is a sto... Higit pa

please read this author's note, very important..
part 1.
part 2.
part 3.
part 4
part 5.
part 6
part 7
part 8
part 9
part 10
part 11
part 13
part 14
part 15
part 16
part 17
part 18
part 19
part 20
part 21
part 22
part 23
part 24
part 25
part 26
part 27
part 28
part 29
part 30
part 31
part 32
part 33
part 34.
part 35
part 36
part 37
part 38
part 39
part 40
part 41
part 42
part 43
part 44
part 45.
part 46
part 47
part 48
part 49
part 50
part 51
part 52
author's note
about the second and third book series.
finally published 😆❤️❤️
new book alert. 💥🔥

part 12.

123 36 0
Galing kay queenFaithofficial

Anne-Marie's dorm room, UPenn.

Anne-Marie slowly paced up and down her dorm room. It was a good thing Megan and her roommate weren't around. If not, they would have tagged her crazy. 

Who could ever believe that she would step her foot into a church in her life? Oh, how much she hated religion and their ridiculous ways of life! But today, she wasn't sure of what she felt again. She had fallen in love with a Christian. 

Feeling uncomfortable, Anne-Marie sat on her bed. Still uncomfortable with that, she took a seat close to her reading table.  Not feeling any better, she stood and went close to the window, staring out into space. She yanked out her phone from her side pocket, unlocked it, navigated to her phone's gallery, and opened his picture which she had taken secretly. 

"I hate it! I hate that you are a Christian. I don't know why you are a Christian. You are too handsome to be a Christian," she said, staring at the picture that filled the face of her phone's screen. 

Anne-Marie whirled around and walked to the front of the standing mirror in her dorm room to take a proper look at herself. She was fair. She was beautiful. She had all the nice shapes and curves, but had never attracted her dream man, had never found true love. The guys she fell in love with were either dating another or weren't interested. 

Even Skylar, who was tagged the ugliest of her squad, had numerous dates, while she was struggling to get just one for herself. Skylar, with her red hair, flat nose And most of all, shapeless teeth! Anne-Marie gritted her teeth in frustration.

Anne-Marie walked back to the window and grabbed the protector tightly as she looked up to the sky through the window. "Oh, God of Ian! I'm talking to you for the first time in my life." 

She paused for a while thinking if she was now praying to the God she never believed existed. 

"If you truly exist, then hear me now!" Inhaling and exhaling sharply, she continued, "Don't take Ian away from me. I want you to make him love me as much as I love him or even more. Did you hear? Did you hear me at all?" 

Anne-Marie found herself praying in Jesus' name for the first time in her life and broke down crying. "I need someone to love me! I need to be loved as well, if Ian doesn't work out, I'll die!" 

-----

The next semester. 

Ifes sat on one of the couches in her dorm room awaiting Mandy's arrival. She had gotten a call early that morning from Mandy informing her that she and her friends were returning to UPenn. 

"Why didn't you tell me before now?" Ifes had asked Mandy over their phone conversation that morning. 

"I wanted it to be a surprise." 

Ifes laughed. "I  don't get, what could be surprising about this whole thing? 

"You act like you weren't perplexed enough!" Mandy taunted. Ifes could imagine her pouting on the other end.

"Haha! You are funny, Mandy. I wonder what is surprising to know that my friend and roommate is arriving at college today."

"Oh yeah? But the fact that I didn't notify you earlier did the job for me. Can you imagine the way you sounded when I informed you of my arrival," Mandy replied, mimicking her. 

Ifes laughed again. "Mandy, a little advice for you. Please, don't take up the acting profession. You ain't good at it." 

The duo laughed simultaneously. 

"Yeah! I know, right? I was just trying out my luck on you." 

From Mandy's tone of voice, Ifes knew she was telling her the truth, but what she didn't know was why and who Mandy was planning a surprise for. 

"Don't worry, we shall talk more when you get here. Say hi to your family." 

"The  same family you didn't want to see, right?" 

"Not  again!" Ifes exclaimed under her breath. 

"Don't  worry. I was only pulling your legs. I understand."

At the end of the previous session, Mandy had asked Ifes to come with her to Texas to spend the break. 

"No! I insist, you are coming with me." Mandy had protested when Ifes politely declined her offer. 

"Please, Mandy!" 

"Why exactly would you not come with me? Is it because...?" 

"No, no, Mandy, you know I barely have enough to sustain me, that is why I need to work and this won't be possible if I come with you to Texas. In our freshman year, I intentionally didn't take a job because I needed to get my educational ground first, and now that is achieved, I have to move on to other things if I will continue to sustain my stay in the US."

"So, money's the problem here, right?" 

Before Ifes could open her mouth to give an explanatory answer, Mandy continued.

"We don't have any financial problems in my family. Why don't you come with me? I already told my dad about you and he likes you. I don't think he would have any problems footing your bills." 

It was a nice and tempting offer, but that was the last thing Ifes was going to do in her life—depending on others for financial support when she could work it out herself. She wasn't a beggar. She didn't come to the US to depend on her roommate or take advantage of her  financial buoyancy. 

She stifled a slight exasperation. "The last thing I want to do is to be a burden to you and your family." 

"And  who says you are? Ain't I the one making the offer?" 

Does it matter who was really making the offer? Both ladies protested before Mandy finally understood and resigned. 

"I'll miss you," Mandy said as Ifes saw her off to the airport on the day of her departure to Texas. 

"I'll miss you, too." 

"The truth is, we'll miss each other, and every time, you act like I haven't been a special roommate." 

Ifes beamed. "You better get going before you miss your flight." 

"I'm just meeting you in this college for the first time in my life, but it's been like I've known you forever." Mandy held one of Ifesinachi's hands in two of her squeezing gently. "I don't really know how much I know about you. But one thing I know is, I feel this inexplicable peace when I'm around you." 

Ifes wanted to tell her, 'Is it not written in the book of John 14:27. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.' These were the words of Jesus and Ifes wanted to share it with Mandy. But somehow, she didn't find the courage to say it. 

Ifesinachi's phone chimed, driving her from her thoughts. Tapping the answer button, she placed it on her left ear. "Hello, Mandy." 

"Hello, pretty one!" Mandy's voice echoed through Ifesinachi's phone speaker. "My friends and I just arrived in Pennsylvania. We are on our way to school as we speak." 

"Good to hear that. I'll be expecting you," Ifes said and disconnected the call.

Few minutes later, Ifes heard a single knock and the muffled creak of the door as Mandy sauntered in and slammed the door behind her. 

"Look who we have here!" Ifes said, getting up from her bed.

 The duo embraced each other excitedly. 

They broke the hug and Mandy drew Ifes at arm's length, studying her. "So how is our workaholic doing?" 

Ifes jerked her hands away. "I'm not a workaholic." 

"Says the workaholic herself." Mandy smirked and Ifes rolled her eyes. 

"So, how have you been coping with your new job?" Mandy asked unpacking her things and Ifes joined her. 

"Pretty well." 

"You know what?" Mandy asked when the duo were done unpacking. 

"Tell me." 

"I'll just go shower now. I'm coming with you to your workplace today." 

Ifesinachi's eyes glittered. "You're supposed to rest a bit before fluttering about."

"It doesn't matter. You  said you're on the evening shift right?" 

"That's right." 

"What do you say we go before your work hours so we can have lunch. Sounds perfect, right?" 

"Yeah! That would be just fine." 

The duo got dressed and Mandy drove them to Baby Blues BBQ Philly where Ifes worked. 

"A pretty place you've got here," Mandy said as she walked into the picturesque restaurant behind Ifes who led the way. 

"You like it?" Ifes tilted her head slightly to look at Mandy from her side.

"Yeah!" Mandy said in delight as they picked a spot where Mandy could sit and have a full view of the restaurant and also be able to see who comes in and goes out the door. Since gaining admission into UPenn, she had gone to other cafeterias and restaurants but had never tried Baby Blues BBQ Philly. Vernick food/drink, Townsend, Laurele were the previous ones she had gone to during her exam time last semester. 

A waiter Ifes recognised strode towards their table, a menu in hand. "I see you came with someone." The waiter gazed down at Ifes, grinning. 

"Yes, she's my roommate, coursemate, and friend, Mandy." Ifes took her gaze to Mandy smiling before diverting it back to the waiter. "Mandy, meet my friend and colleague, Emma. I'll be taking over from her this evening." 

"Pleased to meet you, Emma." 

"Pleased to meet you, too, Mandy." The ladies quickly exchanged pleasantries as Emma tossed the menu on their table to attend to other customers. 

The duo gazed at the menu contemplating which meal to choose for lunch. Emma returned after a while and Mandy ordered for Brunswick stew and greens while Ifes ordered for drop biscuits and sausage gravy. Mandy also ordered Texas barbecue for herself, cornbread and chili for Ifes as takeaway for their dinner. Emma smiled as she walked out of their presence to go get their orders. 

They ate in silence for a while as Ifes expected Mandy to talk about her mother and brother's health. She didn't say anything, so Ifes decided to broach the topic. 

"So, how's everyone back in Texas?" Ifes asked, not wanting to show her that she meant to ask of her mother and brother in particular. 

Mandy shrugged, a slight grim expression flickering across her face. 

Ifes lowered her head, feeling sad about  the abrupt unsettlement she had cost her friend. She  didn't mean to arouse any unwanted emotions. 

Mandy laughed to cheer up her friend when she noticed her reaction disturbed Ifes. 

"Everyone's great, although my mum and brother are still in the same condition where I left them, but it's all good. We'll get over it." Mandy gave Ifes an encouraging smile. 

They went on to discuss other irrelevant matters that didn't raise tension over the lunch as Ifes waited for her time to resume duty.

Ifes glanced down at her wrist watch, she moved her seat back and stood. "It's time. I have to work now." 

Mandy groaned. "Must  you start now?" 

Ifes smirked, giving her a sardonic expression. "I've got to go now, else, my boss will come for my head, and I'm sure you don't want that." 

"Come! I need to talk to that boss of yours. He needs to give us some time." 

"And  who do you think you are that my boss would want to talk to? The President's wife?" 

"Hahaha! I'm bigger than that and he should listen to me when I talk." 

"Such guts!" Ifes rolled her eyes and walked away to resume duty. 

Ifes concentrated on her work believing Mandy would have gone back to their dorm room, but was perplexed when her eyes flickered to the position where she and Mandy sat and noticed Mandy was seated comfortably like other customers who were waiting for their orders to be served. Mandy noticed Ifes had seen her, then she flashed her a grin, waving. Other waiters attended to the customers as Ifes breezed towards Mandy. 

"You're still here?" Ifes asked, giving Mandy a perplexed and solemn expression. 

"Hey! You better not give me that look. We came here together, so I'm waiting for you, when you are done, we'll go." Mandy diverted her gaze to the door like she was expecting someone. 

Ifes grinned, stroking Mandy's hair slightly. "I am the most fortunate person on earth to have a friend who is watching out for me." 

"You  better go back to work before your boss comes for you." Mandy rolled her eyes. 

"Hahaha! You talk like you won't miss me when I'm gone from here." 

"I won't dare!" 

A banter was about to ensue between the duo but Ifesinachi's attention was called by one of the customers. 

As usual, Ayo came to see Ifes off as he always did after her work hours and met Mandy. He was surprised and did try to suppress his shock at seeing her.

"Hey!" Ayo said softly, stretching out his hands to Mandy. "I wasn't expecting you here. I didn't know you're back." 

"Yeah! I came back to college today." Mandy received his gesture, grinning. 

Ayo glanced at Ifes. "And you didn't tell me she was coming back today." 

"Mmm! She ca–" 

Mandy cut her off. "Umm! It wasn't her fault. I just informed her this morning. 

"Oh! I see." Ayo averted his eyes to Mandy, smiling. "Then I should formally tell you you're welcome back to college." 

"Alright, since the pleasantries are over, I guess I'll go and change my uniform now." Ifes informed them both before exiting their presence. 

"Yes, we'll wait for you." Ayo and Mandy stared at her as she disappeared into the dressing room. 

Ifes came out after a while and saw the duo chatting and got a feeling of deja vu. Then, she remembered seeing that enigmatic expression on Mandy's face the day Ayo came to their dorm room. She stared at them for a while. They were so engrossed in whatever they were discussing that they didn't even notice her presence. 

Ayo said something and Mandy laughed, tilting her head. Her expression changed slightly when she sighted Ifes. Following her gaze, Ayo saw Ifes standing a couple inches away. 

"You're back?" Mandy asked, a beautiful and charming smile still etched on her face. 

"Yes, I'm back." 

"So, shall we?" Ayo gestured to the exit door. 

"Yes." Mandy grabbed her purse from the table. Ifes did the same, and the trio walked out of Baby Blues Barbecue. 

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

33.6K 9.3K 55
Demi wanted to be away from all the demons in high school as soon as possible till he met her... Oluwademilade Oriladewa is the finest of them all wi...
15K 967 27
When literature student Build Jakapan Puttha goes to interview young entrepreneur, Bible Wichapas Sumettikul, he encounters a man who is beautiful, b...
5.5K 1K 37
Ten different lives. Two boys. One night that'll bring them all together. Sixteen year old Nosa is okay with being a loner. He doesn't have social a...
701K 48K 82
NOTE: This is the ORIGINAL version. The revised version, which includes multiple added scenes and extended storylines, will be published on amazon as...