Beautiful Lies (Complete)

Por AngieAngC

Book 2 in the 'Beautiful' Trilogy. Niccolo De Luca, now 26 years of age and next in line to take over as The... Más

Main Character List
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Gaining Entry
Chapter 2 - Formal Introductions
Chapter 3 - Game On
Chapter 4 - These Games We Play
Chapter 5 - Cream
Chapter 6 - Testing the Waters
Chapter 7 - 'We Need To Talk'
Chapter 8 - Opportunity
Chapter 9 - Struggles
Chapter 10 - Bad Romance
Chapter 11 - Lack of Afterglow
Chapter 12 - Insatiability
Chapter 13 - Beach Day
Chapter 14 - Caught Out
Chapter 15 - Hiding
Chapter 16 - Slipped Away
Chapter 17 - Carry On
Chapter 18 - Rafael
Chapter 19 - Burn In Love
Chapter 20 - Realisation
Chapter 21 - First Date (Part 1)
Chapter 22 - First Date (Part 2)
Chapter 23 - First Date (Part 3)
Chapter 24 - Old Friend
Chapter 25 - Mine
Chapter 26 - Family Lunch
Chapter 28 - Rage
Chapter 29 - As Time Goes By
Chapter 30 - Discovering The Truth
Chapter 31 - Someone You Loved
Chapter 32 - Hurts Like Hell
Chapter 33 - 8 Letters
Chapter 34 - Sierra's Truth
Chapter 35 - Code Blue
Chapter 36 - Listen
Chapter 37 - Trying to Heal
Chapter 38 - All My Love
Chapter 39 - Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Never
Chapter 41 - Stop Running
Chapter 42 - You Deserve It All
Chapter 43 - For Us
Chapter 44 - Second Chance
Chapter 45 - Family Affairs
Chapter 46 - Puppy of Love
Chapter 47 - My Forever
Chapter 48 - My Family
Epilogue
Beautiful Lies Trailer
Announcement

Chapter 27 - Aftermath

11.9K 444 61
Por AngieAngC

Sierra's POV

I watched as Javier shot Aria while Rafael shot him, their shots mere seconds apart. I completely froze. I didn't know whether to help Aria or run after Javier as I watched him trying to escape.

Just then, Dominic caught my attention as he screamed my name while running in our direction. All he said to me was one word... One name... And I knew exactly where I belonged. Where I was needed.

"Nico!" He pointed behind him. I nodded before running towards Nico.

His face was pale and he looked like his world was shattering around him. His eyes were fixated on his mother's body and he didn't notice me in front of him. He nearly knocked me over trying to run to her but I held my hands up to his chest. It stopped him but he still didn't look at me.

"No... Mamma, no..." he was mumbling.

"Baby, look at me." I cupped his cheeks and forced his head to face mine. He didn't want to meet my gaze so I pulled his head closer, eventually, forcing him to look at me.

"Baby, your father is there. Right now, the best thing you can do is get help and look after your sister." I spoke firmly to him.

"Elena..." he whispered as if processing everything.

I nodded to him slowly and within seconds it was like a switch had flipped. He pecked my lips quickly that I struggled to process it and by the time I did he had left. He turned on his heel, walking towards his sister.

"Aunt Ruby, please get Aunt Olivia now! Uncle Marcel, please take Tino and check out who the fuck those men are and find the third one. I want him today!" He growled the instructions to everyone as they all nodded and immediately began following them.

He impressed me now. He took his position like he was a natural. He was literally born for it but the way he fit right into it was quite something to watch. He caught Elena as she tried running past him the second Ruby let go of her.

"Niccolo, let me go! It's Mamma... is she..." She first became angry and aggressive with Nico. She tried shoving him but he held her tighter. Then she started going through the moments of realization that her mother might be dead.

"No! Do not think like that! Right now I need you to hold down everything in the house. Be Mamma. Dad is taking care of her, Aunt Olivia will be treating her and I'll be down here. Please, Sorella (sister), you need to be strong. Papà needs us to be strong." He cupped her face and forced her to look at him. She slowly nodded while sobbing as he pulled her into his embrace.

Cami ran down and held onto her, guiding her into the house while Olivia and Ruby came down the stairs.

"Oh, God, no..." Olivia was getting emotional as she watched her best friend laying in Dominic's arms but she quickly shook her head and made her way towards them. She stopped in front of me.

"Sierra, how are you with blood?"

"Uh... Alright, I think."

"Good, we might need a hand, please." With that, she began running towards Dominic.

I hesitated. I kept looking at Nico who was starting to get lost in his mother's scene again. His eyes met mine and he walked to me.

"I'm fine. Go. Please, go be there. I promise I'm fine now." He kissed me quickly as I nodded then left him while he began making phone calls. I ran the rest of the way to the others. When I got there, Dominic refused to let go of Aria.

"Dominic, I need you to let me do my job, please." Olivia pleaded with him.

"Olivia, unless you can promise me she is not going to die then no one touches her and I will take her to the hospital myself."

Dominic had Aria's lifeless body in his arms. He was on his knees and held her with one arm while the other he had pressed down on her wound.

"Dom, you know I cannot promise that. But you also know she is my sister, basically. I will do everything in my power to save her and I don't care what rules I have to break to do it. But what I can guarantee is if you don't let me start now, she will die." Olivia tried reasoning with him but I don't think he was listening, to be honest.

He was so blinded by the fact that his wife was dying in his arms that everything else became illogical, unstable, unlivable, and painful. Ruby tried grabbing his shoulder but he took his gun and pointed it at her head.

"Don't fucking touch me!" He growled at her as she stepped back with her hands in the air. She looked at Olivia helplessly.

I turned my head and placed my two fingers into my mouth and whistled loudly catching Nico's attention. He looked at me then at his father who still had his gun aimed at Ruby. I saw him curse before sprinting his way towards us. I watched as more blood was appearing in the wound. Aria doesn't have much time.

I took a chance and walked towards Dominic. I took a chance that he isn't comfortable enough to pull a gun on me, a new person who he thinks isn't from this world. I stepped beside him before talking.

"Dominic, they cannot help Aria if you do not let her go. Letting her go doesn't mean it's goodbye. But if you hold onto her any longer, then she will die. Sometimes holding onto something or someone is doing more damage." I placed my fingers on top of the hand wielding the gun and pushed down slowly. At first, he hesitated but then he let me as his hand dropped while he loosened his grip on Aria.

Olivia and Ruby immediately took her body and Olivia began working on her, cutting off her shirt and trying to somehow cauterize the wound. Dominic caught my attention as he punched the sand hard.

"Fuck!!!!" I didn't know what to do. I wanted to console him but I didn't want to overstep any boundaries. Nico then arrived and knelt next to his father, pulling him into his arms. I watched Dominic grip onto his son's shirt and breakdown completely.

"I can't do it without her, Niccolo. I can't... I fucking knew this was going to happen. I told her. I fucking told her she didn't belong in this life, that I wasn't good for her." He was ranting amongst his cries.

"Dad, stop!" Nico yelled at him. "Mamma loves you. She chose you and everything that comes with you. She is so much more stronger than you think and right now she needs you to be just as strong."

Dominic closed his eyes and took a few deep breathes as Nico held onto his shoulders. When he reopened them, just like his son, a switch had flipped. Except, Dominic's eyes seemed more ominous, deadlier. He was out for blood now. He rose to his feet and placed his gun in the waistband of his pants behind him.

"Niccolo, I want the shooter found. Whoever sent them has started a fucking war with me, I do not care what alliances have been built." His voice was low, but deep and stern.

"I've already sent Marcel and Tino to look at the bodies and find out who the fuck those men are. I've phoned Lorenzo to look at every security camera around here, including the government ones. I've phoned Andrews and he is on alert, also tracking the shooter. Elena is upstairs with the others and Zia (Aunt) Dani is holding everything together. I sent Rafael to be with them as protection. If anyone can shoot and guarantee a hit, it's him." Nico informed his father about his strategies.

"And you denied your ability at being me. To take over from me." He shook his head while bringing Nico into a hug.

I saw a paramedic running towards us with a stretched in hand. Ruby stood abruptly and grabbed the stretcher from him while he continued on his way towards Arias's body. He knelt on the opposite side of Olivia and immediately began taking things out of his medical kit. Ruby placed the stretched right beside Aria's body.

"Thomas, thank you so much for coming. I know you're retiring and today is a-"

"Nonsense! This is Aria, I will fucking drop everything for you two. Now hold this up for me." He cut off Olivia, reassuring her.

He held up the IV bag which Olivia took while Thomas placed the IV line into her arm. He then placed her on an oxygen source before finally instructing Ruby and Olivia to grab Aria on each side, careful to keep her body straight. They lifted her slightly, giving Thomas access to slide the stretcher underneath her body. Dominic, without hesitation, grabbed one side of the stretcher with Thomas opposite him. Olivia and Ruby on the other end. They began carrying her towards the beach's entrance where I could see the ambulance parked and waiting.

Nico startled me as he grabbed my hand and began walking briskly towards the house. I kept up with him but there was silence between us. Once we got back to the house, it was decided that Elena would come with us in the SUV. Rafael and Odette would take their own car along with Dani, and Rosa was staying behind to look after Alessia. Nico had called 10 heavily armed men to stand around the perimeter of the house while we were gone.

Once we got to the hospital, we found Dominic sitting in the waiting area with his head in his hands. He looked so worn out, so broken. Elena ran to him and he didn't hesitate as he pulled her into his arms. She cried against his chest but eventually settled as he soothed her and stroked the top of her head.

"Where's Mamma?" Nico asked him softly.

"She's in surgery. Olivia said she will keep us updated but she cannot give me an estimation on how long. It's a waiting game." Nico nodded and sat beside them.

I left to go get coffees and bottled waters for everyone. I needed to keep busy before the guilt consumed me and I did something irrational. I came back with a tray from the cafeteria and placed it down on the table in the waiting room. Everyone took a refreshment except Nico. He was so distracted in his thoughts, he hadn't noticed what was happening around him.

Dominic was huddled in a corner with Marcel and Ruby while Cami and Tino were consoling a very distraught Elena. I grabbed a coffee, placed in the sugar and milk, just the way he liked it and made my way to him. I first stood in front of him but he still didn't react. I crouched down, placing my hand on his knee. That seemed to have brought him back.

"I made you a coffee," I spoke softly and handed him the paper cup.

He gave me a small half-smile and took it, sipping on it before cupping my face and thanking me without saying the words. I stood and sat beside him, fiddling with his fingers on my lap before interlocking them together.

"Thank you." He spoke softly.

"It's just coffee, babe," I replied, my thoughts playing through all of the day's events.

"No, thank you for being here. For staying. You have every reason to run now." He sounded so despondent like he expected me to leave.

"I already told you, I'm not running. I'm not afraid of the darkness as long as I have you by my side. So, you can give me another million reasons for me to run and I will always find that one reason for me to stay." I kept my eyes on our hands together and I could feel him looking at me.

He let go of my hand and quickly took my chin in between his fingers and gently pulled my face to look at him. He brought his lips to mine and gave me a tender and quick kiss before finishing his coffee and placing it back on the table. He pulled back and lay his head on my shoulder which I could tell wasn't comfortable due to our difference in heights.

I pulled back causing him to straighten and look at me. I tapped my lap making him give me a sweet smile and laying his head down upon it. I sat running my fingers through his hair with my other hand on his chest. It didn't take long before today's events caught up to him as he fell into a silent slumber.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the wall behind me. After some time I could feel a presence beside me causing me to open my eyes and see Dominic sitting there.

"I need to thank you, Sierra. My son would have never healed and come out of that pit he placed himself in after Veronica, if not for you. And I know he would never have managed today the way he did if it weren't for you. You brought him back and that was one thing..." He stopped and took a deep breath before continuing.

"That was one thing Aria kept saying. You gave her back our son. So, thank you."

"You don't need to thank me. You do everything in your power to help the ones you love, no matter what." I unknowingly admitted it out loud and I saw Dominic's face shoot up to look at me, making me realize what I had just said, but I avoided his gaze.

"Does he know?" Was all he asked. Still looking at the floor, I shook my head slowly.

"Don't be afraid, sweetheart. My son might surprise you." He spoke softly and I could hear in his voice that there was a smile upon his lips.

I couldn't help the smile that crept up on my face as I looked down at Nico who was still in a deep sleep. I found myself caressing his cheek with the back of my fingers before we heard the hospital doors swinging open. Olivia walked out and she looked like she had been crying. Dominic shot up and bolted in her direction as I shook Nico awake.

"Baby, Olivia is back." He shifted a bit, groaning, before waking up. He got up quickly and grabbed my hand, following the path his father had taken. We stopped and stood in front of her awaiting some sort of information.

"Olivia, what is going on? Why do you look like you've been crying?" Dominic tried so hard to keep calm but I could hear it in his voice that he wasn't anywhere close to calm. He was petrified. Olivia's tears fell again and she took a couple of deep breathes.

"What the fuck did you do, Olivia!?" Dominic raised his voice, taking a step forward causing Nico to grab him by the shoulder and Ruby to jump in front of him. She shoved him back as she stood, protecting her wife.

"Fucking watch yourself, Dominic!" She growled at him, pointing her finger in his direction.

"Olivia, please..." Dominic ignored everybody around him and kept his gaze fixated on her. His demeanor had changed and he became teary-eyed, begging and pleading with her.

"I managed to get the bullet out. It did quite a bit of damage. She lost a lot of blood during the surgery and..." She trailed off, taking a deep breath in and releasing it before continuing. "And I lost her on two separate occasions. I brought her back but, Dominic, she is in a coma and I do not know when or if she will wake up." Olivia let go of a sob that took over as Ruby took her into her arms.

"No... You're lying, Olivia, please tell me you're lying!" Dominic edged closer to them, his body was shaking now.

"The next couple of days are crucial and I will only know more as I monitor her and her brain activity. But we are not out of the woods yet, Dom. Please, excuse me, I need to go make sure they have set her room up." With that, Olivia left as everybody broke.

Elena sobbed loudly as Cami and Odette held her, their own tears running down their faces. Dominic stood completely still, facing the door Olivia just entered. I watched as a stray tear fell down his cheek while he stared blankly at the floor.

Marcel went up to him and placed his hand on his shoulder which snapped him out of his trance.

"Marcel... I can't... Not without her..." he mumbled as Marcel pulled him into a brotherly hug as Dominic broke down again.

I turned around when I felt Nico let go of my hand. He was edging backward first before turning on his heel and walking away. I started walking briskly towards him, calling out his name.

"Nico! Niccolo! Stop!" I started jogging now to get to him.

As I reached him I placed my hand on his arm in an attempt to stop him then pull him into me, but it didn't go as planned. He stopped, his strength coming through as I struggled to pull him.

"Don't fucking touch me! Just don't! Fucking leave, Sierra! Leave me alone!" He yelled at me, catching everyone's attention. I stood there, not phased by his rant. I was once there. I know the feelings running through him. I also tried pushing him away on many occasions.

"No," I spoke calmly yet firmly. One simple word to make him realize it's not that easy to get rid of me. His eyes were fixed on mine, frightening to look into, but my demeanor never faltered.

"Then you are a fucking fool!" He yelled before walking away from me again.

"He doesn't mean it. He's hurting." Tino appeared beside me as we both watched him walk down the corridor and out of the building.

"I know. I did that too. I, more than anyone, understand him." I sighed. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to leave him alone. He can hate me all he wants, I will not give up on him."

"Thank you," Tino spoke while looking at the ground with his hands in his pockets.

"For what?"

"Being there for my cousin. You have no idea just how badly he needed you." I gave him a small smile.

I have been thanked now by 5 people in his family and every time I hear those grateful words, it feels like a dagger digging deeper into my heart.

"I'm going after him. Please, let me know what room Aria is in when you are made aware."

"Of course."

With that, I bolted down the corridor, taking the same path as he, in search of him. I walked outside making my eyes, my heart, and my soul locate him instantly. He stood with his hands against the wall and one very bloody fist. Damn it, Niccolo.

I made my way to him as he was about to punch the wall again. I held his arm and pulled back. At first, he turned around to defend himself, until he saw who it was.

"Sierra, I could have hurt you! Fuck! Why are you still here?"

I could see his eyes filling with tears that he didn't want to shed. Nico hides, he doesn't allow anybody to see him broken. He even struggles with allowing his own parents to see it. So I knew he would keep this bottled up the whole time, eventually deteriorating himself.

"Sierra, fucking leave!! Go!! I don't want you here!" He kept screaming, getting closer to me in an attempt to scare me.

"I want you to leave!" He seethed.

"No, you don't," I spoke calmly, unaffected by his aggressive behavior.

"Yes, I fucking do!" He attempted once more.

"Niccolo, you don't have to hide from me. I can see you're scared of your emotions. You're scared to let others see it. Stop running, Niccolo. It's just you and me. Let me in, baby. I got you, I'm right here." I held my hands out slightly, indicating my presence.

I watched as he stopped fighting. He stopped seething. He just stood, staring at me so intently. Before it would have been unnerving for me, but not now. Now it was my hope for him to stare at me like this. It means he is seeing me and allowing himself to be seen.

"Sierra, what if she..." He trailed off and I immediately took the remaining steps to him and got on the tip of my toes to cup his face and lean his forehead against me.

"No! You cannot think like that, I will not allow you to! Your mother is one of the strongest women I have met. You need to believe in that and believe in her." I spoke firmly to him.

I could feel him sinking while he completely broke in my arms. I sunk to the ground with him, kneeling in front of his body as I wrapped my arms around him. I felt my shirt dampen and he clung onto my body tightly, scrunching up my shirt between his hands, on either side. I kissed his temple and ran my fingers through his hair as he continued to sob in my embrace.

After some time, he seemed to have calmed when I pulled back and looked at him. He gave me a gentle and weak smile before looking at the ground in between us. I felt the wind blow through, a warm wind, as my hair flowed with it until it left. A memory inside of me became clear and I got to my feet, holding out my hand. He looked at me strangely before taking it without needing a reason to do so.

"There's something I need to do. Come with me." Was all I said and I guided him back inside. I read the signs until I found what I was looking for. As we stood in front of the doors I squeezed his hand.

"I know you're not religious, and I have never really been myself. But Abuelita was. And she always used to tell me, 'Mija, desperate people find faith too.' I never understood her words, until today. I can feel her, Nico. She's watching and she needs you to believe she is here, around you too."

With that, I pushed the doors open and walked down the short aisle. I entered one of the pews and sat down with him beside me. He looked around the chapel, taking everything in. I sat back and held his hand, lacing our fingers together.

"Abuelita, sé que está aquí. Sé que está escuchando. Sé que puede sentir la peración, desesperación, el miedo y dolor. El silencio calma, y cada vez see hace más difícil moverse. Aria está algo perdida en este momento. Por a favor, guíala de regreso a casa. Guíala de regreso a su familia. Guíala de regreso al lugar donde pertenece. No puede ser su tiempo, Abuelita. Hay tantas cosas que quedan por decir, muchos errores por enmendar... Manténgala sana y salva, ayúdele a mantener la cabeza sobre el agua, hasta que se encuentre lista para encontrar la orilla de nuevo. Abuelita, te extraño."

(Granny, I know you are here. I know you are listening. I know you can feel the despair, the hopelessness, the fear, and the pain. The silence is no longer quiet, and it's getting harder to move. Aria is lost at the moment. Please, guide her back home. Guide her back to her family. Guide her back to where she belongs. It cannot be her time, Granny. There is too much still left unsaid, too many wrongs still needed to be made right... Keep her safe and warm, hold her head above the water until she is ready to find the shore again. I miss you, Granny.)

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

879K 24.8K 42
Matteo D'Angelo, the Don of the D'Angelo family is grieving the loss of his wife while still trying to run Chicago and keep his enemies at bay. Matt...
49.1K 1.8K 34
UPDATES EVERY MONDAY! Vivienne Lee is pretty sure her next-door neighbor is a serial killer. What else could explain his creepily minimalistic apartm...
5.4M 186K 105
"You wear your darkness like some women wear a little black dress, it's shining in those green eyes of yours." "Underestimating me will be anyone's f...