Nin Chronicles: My Word

By Jaya-Avendel

Brothers Elladan and Elrohir live normal lives by their father's standards, but both twins struggle to accept... More

Drawings
Vacation
Wasted Love
Fleeing Love
Possessed
Under The Full Moon
Unwanted Bed Rest
A Letter Opener
Rivendell
Over Dinner
Over The Desk
Thundercloud
A Little Freedom?
Mirkwood
Adapting
Under Water
For Your Own Good
Climb!
In His Office
Flow
King And Lord
Long Bow
Split
Broken
Lost On Yonder Rock
Until One Day
Archery
A Journal Entry
A Sick Mother?
Saying I Love You
Saying I Hate You
Saying Always
Preserve Us
Distant Light
Do You?
Jealousy
Broken Souls
Nightmare
Breaking News
Come Hench Forth
Elrond Arrives
The Forest Explodes
Switch You!
Snap!
Arrival
Under Ice
He Let Go
He Threw A Rock
I Threw Away Their Love
Another Mistake
What Will Happen Now?
Black Magic
I Saw Their Souls
I Know My Place
I See The Truth
I Heard His Lie
I Hated His Apologies
I Listened To His Truth
I Felt His Love
I Saw Their Souls
I See War
I Long For My Sons
I Heard Screams
I Saw Grace
I Feel Anger
I Saw Fear
I Saw Arrogance
I See Nightmares
I See Stars
I Felt Guilt
I See Dusk
I Wept Tears
I Heard Laughter
I Failed My Task
I Tried To Make It Better
I Celebrated
I Saw Myself
I Felt Love
I Feel My Heart Sing
I Heard Horror
I Am Not Really Bad
I Saw Her Smile
I Love Our Sons
I Know My Path
I Felt Cold
I See Horror
I Am Loved
I Am Curious
I Made My Choice
I Am Torn
I Feel Light
I Cried Tears
I Felt My Heart Lighten
I Lied
I Am Angry
I Felt Cool
I Feel Pain
I Feel Loved
I Must Do This
I Must Go
I Had No Choice
I Cannot Forgive
I Try
I Saw My Mother
I Am Confused
I Met My Mother
I Am Happy
I Found Darkness
I Told Tales
I Know Lies
I Could Not Stop
I Beg Pain
I See Domination
I See Disaster
I Am Wrong
I Am Ashamed
I Confessed
I Am Blamed
I See Ghosts
I Must
I Want It
I Know
I Am Hated
I Am A Father
I Am A King
I Am Honored
I Heal
I Hear Silence
I Blush
I Smile
I Grieve
I Am Spring
I Am Home
I Am Sandwiched
I Hesitate
I Burn
I Wonder
I Understand
I Am Crowned
I Have Learned
I Am Reborn
Author's Notes
Benders: Dragonfire

I Miss Home

141 10 7
By Jaya-Avendel

Thank you to fateclawsMOStar598Silrien45jijifijijoellamariahPackWolfLegolas, and nathalieAlice for  their amazing votes and comments to the previous chapter. 

Thank you to nicolesoria12345sorilovilo1FAlMaz6, and madamk006 for adding this book to their reading lists! 

We have a tree up! It is the most perfect tree we have ever had, and the gold, silver, and red came together perfectly. Are you proud of your tree this year? 

Elladan put a handful of flowers down on the counter beside the ceramic vase Legolas was filling. "Elrohir and I went to the fields and picked the wildflowers there. There is not many this time of year."

Legolas glanced at the clusters of pastel blue and vibrant purple petals. "These are perfect. I know ada is sadder then he lets on about how little the ritual did and I am hoping these will cheer him up."

"Thranduil is terrible when he mopes around," Elladan agreed. He rubbed his arm as Legolas poked him.

A serving maid brought a pitcher of water to fill the vase and swept the scattered flower leaves and dead petals into her apron as Legolas exited the kitchens with the vase held tight in his hands.

"Nimrethil said this is ada's favorite vase," Legolas said hopefully, water trickling down his neck as he lurched forward.

"I rather think it was Ailunai's favorite vase," Elrohir said critically, eying the pattern on the ceramic. "And Thranduil liked it for her. It is awfully floral."

"Well," said Legolas, sticking his nose in the air. "I do not know about yours but my ada does not mind flowers."

Elrohir grinned and opened Thranduil's office door. The twins lingered in the door to watch the delivery.

"I brought you something, ada," Legolas announced.

Thranduil's pen scribbled with fury across the paper before him. "Thank you, Legolas. Clear a space and put it on my desk."

"Are you not even going to look at it?" Legolas asked, hurt.

Thranduil's pen stopped at the tone of his voice and the elf king looked up. "I am sorry, Legolas, when I am busy I—" His voice broke and the pen dropped to the desk.

"Ada?!"

Thranduil jumped to his feet and put a hand on Legolas's arm. "It is alright, Legolas, I am fine. The vase—I have not seen it in years."

"I . . . am sorry, ada," Legolas said. "If I had known you minded, I would have left it in the cupboard. I can find another one."

"No, no. It is not the vase so much but the flowers . . ."

Thranduil's eyes were fastened on the rose buds outside the window. A splash of water wet Legolas's tunic as his arms trembled. He put the vase down, aware of Thranduil's silence, and tested the feelings in the air.

Thranduil was sad.

"I never meant to hurt you," Legolas cried. "I thought you might like the flowers—the colors—the feel of outside."

Thranduil's eyes fixed on his son's upturned face, a tiny tear glimmering in the corner of his eye. He brushed his fingers across Legolas's cheek. "I do like the flowers, little leaf, and I thank you for bringing them. Nothing any of you did hurt me. The vase brought back a memory is all. Ailunai used to keep this vase full of fresh flowers for me every day. After she died, I left it here until the flowers were dead and I could no longer bear to look at it. Not only have you used this vase, you have picked the same flowers Ailunai often used."

"Elladan and Elrohir helped," Legolas said.

Thranduil smiled at the twins. "Forgive me for frightening you, Legolas. I was surprised but in a good way."

"Will you . . . mind if I keep the vase filled with fresh flowers every day?" Legolas asked. He explained in a rush, "I do not want you to think I am disrespecting what Ailunai used to do."

Thranduil unwound a tangle in Legolas's hair. "I would love it if you keep the flowers fresh for me, ion. But then you must let me keep a vase full for you as well."

"Okay," Legolas agreed. "But I do not know where I want it yet."

"Let me know when you make up your mind," Thranduil said drily. "Now make yourself useful elsewhere. Paperwork does not do itself."

"The lament of the day," Legolas remarked as he skipped from the room.

Elladan and Elrohir trailed after him, exchanging glances that betrayed they shared the same thoughts.

"It is an awful shame we are still stuck in Mirkwood," Elladan said at last. "I want to give ada flowers in his office now."

"I do not think we will be here much longer," Elrohir said with enthusiasm.

OoOoO

"Legolas is late to dinner," Elrond said, noticing the empty seat at the table.

"He went down to the caves the last time we saw him," Elrohir volunteered. "But he ought to have been back by now; he never misses dinner."

"Please, begin the meal without me," Thranduil said. "I will find my son."

He checked his and Legolas's bedchambers before pausing to wonder where his son had gone. On an impulse, he opened the door to his office and found Legolas curled in his desk chair, sniffling with his head on his knees.

"Are you hurt?" Thranduil asked quickly.

Legolas glanced up and shook his head. "Not really. But, ada, when I went into the caves today, everyone bowed and I did not like it."

Thranduil's hand went to his mouth to cut off a chuckle. "I see. It is their choice to bow to you."

Legolas's lower lip trembled. "I do like feeling like I am better then someone."

Thranduil sat on the arm of the chair and smoothed Legolas's golden locks. "I think everyone is still a little touchy from the Ozorne incident. When someone bows to you, Legolas, it does not mean they think you are better then them. Bowing is a sign of respect and nothing more."

"But what do I do, ada? I feel so uncomfortable."

"Bow back," Thranduil said. "I always do."

"But is that right? I mean, is it the proper thing to do?"

"I am sure many people would not think so," Thranduil answered drily. "You must do what you feel is right. As I said, bowing is a sign of respect and I bow back because I believe in showing respect."

Legolas considered, drying his eyes with the end of his sleeve. "I felt—when they bowed—I felt as if I was alone—without you—and they were bowing to me because I was king."

Thranduil squeezed Legolas's hand. "My little leaf, have I not shown you I will do anything to keep us together?"

"You have," Legolas said slowly.

"You do not have to dread being king. When you are older and, if you wish to try bearing the crown for a little while, I will teach you how. But there is no rush. After my thrust into the throne, I know how it feels to be alone without any knowledge of the responsibilities ahead. That will not happen to you."

Thranduil hugged Legolas's head to his chest as the elfling uncurled. "Remember in your visions of your future and the throne, if you are king, it does not mean I am gone. I have no intention of leaving this world anytime soon."

A grin broke through his son's tears, bringing rainbows to the room. "Do you promise?"

"With all my heart."

"Then I guess we can eat dinner now."

"As his lordship pleases," Thranduil teased, and laughed as Legolas jostled him in the hall.

A little laughter is just what we need! I am quite happy the twins are missing home!

Thank you for reading; your words of encouragement and enjoyment never fail to inspire me!

Next Chapter: Legolas and Elrond do some soul-searching together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.6K 4.7K 48
After the horrible incident in the fortress of Gundabad, Turwaithiel returns to Rivendell as a different person. Her night is filled with horrible dr...
10.3K 352 12
When Legolas is just a young elf, he goes hunting with Elrond's twin sons, Elladan and Elrohir. What happens when they get captured and taken by orcs...
224K 7.4K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...
5 0 18
Some weeks after Aldon's defeat, Elora is threatened by one of Livia's men at a feast. Will Elora be able to take back her throne? And what happens w...