Why not ?

By CissyItsMe

Why not ? Two simple words that got out of Cora McKall's mouth and caused a dramatic change in her life. T... More

Why Not ?
•Chapter 1
•Chapter 2
•Chapter 3
•Chapter 4
•Chapter 5
•Chapter 7
•Chapter 8
•Chapter 9
•Chapter 10
•Chapter 11
•Chapter 12
•Chapter 13
•Chapter 14
•Chapter 15
•Chapter 16
•Chapter 17
•Chapter 18
•Chapter 19
•Chapter 20
•Chapter 21
•Chapter 22
•Chapter 23
•Chapter 24
•Chapter 25
•Chapter 26
•Chapter 27
•Chapter 28
•Chapter 29
•Chapter 30
•Chapter 31 #Part.1
•Chapter 31 #Part.2
•Chapter 31 #Part.3
•Chapter 32
•Chapter 33
•Chapter 34
•Chapter 35
•Chapter 36 #Part.1
•Chapter 36 #Part.2
•Chapter 36 #Part.3
•Chapter 37
•Chapter 38
•Chapter 39
•Chapter 40
•Chapter 41 #Part.1
•Chapter 41 #Part.2
•Chapter 42
•Chapter 43
•Chapter 44
•Chapter 45
•Chapter 46
•Chapter 47
•Chapter 48
•Chapter 49
•Chapter 50
•Chapter 51
•Chapter 52
•Chapter 53
•Chapter 54
•Chapter 55
•Chapter 56 #Part.1
•Chapter 56 #Part.2
•Chapter 57
•Chapter 58
•Chapter 59
•Epilogue
•A/N

•Chapter 6

14.8K 631 116
By CissyItsMe

≈Miami, FL...

(5:00 p.m)

Kalvin's eyes and mouth opened wide. He was shocked and wasn't expecting her to tell him that. Was it reality ? Was is a joke ? It couldn't be true ! He didn't want to believe it. A baby ? Hell no ! He thought children were cute and adorable, but didn't want any, yet. He was still young and thought that he had time until that day comes. He thought it will happen in a few years, not now. He wanted to run, but something was stopping him. He was stunned and couldn't say a word. He was going to be a father. A damn father. No, he wasn't ready. Definitely not.

"What...Did...You...Say ? " He asked slowly.

Cora cleared her throat, "Uh...I'm pregnant."

"And...You're telling me that...because..." He had hope. Maybe she just wanted to share that with him as a friend. Yeah, maybe it was that. He was praying for it.

"Because it's...your baby." She said the words he didn't want to hear. At this moment, he wanted to cry and scream. He looked at her observing her face carefully. He was trying to see if she was lying. His father always told him that you can learn a lot about a person with the body language. She didn't look like the type to lie to a man about a pregnancy to have money. No, she wasn't a groupie. Her eyes were fixed on him like she was waiting for him to say something. He stared at her for others five minutes and concluded that she was telling him the truth and only the truth. But he still couldn't believe it. He wanted this day to be a dream. Just a damn dream. Not reality.

"Okay..."

Cora expected another reaction. She didn't know how to feel right now. She thought that he was going to yell at her or call her out of her name. She thought that he was going to be angry. But he was calm, really calm, too much. She couldn't see a specific emotion on his face. His expression was...she couldn't tell. His eyes were empty. He wasn't smiling or frowning.

They continued their lunch date in silence. Kalvin was avoiding eye contact and Cora was nervous. It seemed like he was going to explode at any time.

After the appetizer, they pursued with entry and then the principal meal and not even a hour later, they were at the dessert. This silence was going to kill Cora. She needed him to say something. She needed to know how he felt about this. Maybe he was thinking about an excuse to tell her to deny. Cora was getting herself ready for all type of disappointment. She wasn't crazy, she knew how dudes were nowadays. They can hurt your feelings in less than one minute and won't regret it one bit. She knew they were not all like it, but she wasn't really lucky with men. No illusion, she knew how tough life can be.

She took the last bit of her chocolate cake and put the fork on the plate. She looked up at him and he was still doing like she hadn't tell him that she was carrying his child. Her heart was heavy and she felt like she was about to pass out. She wanted him to talk.

Kalvin was in deep thoughts. How was he going to tell this to his mother ? That's not how she raised him and his brother. She always told them, marriage before kids. It was their motto. They could do anything they wanted, have a different female every day if that's what it makes them happy during their young years, but NEVER forget the protection. To do short, it was no baby out of wedlock. Yeah, she was allowing them to fuck them all, but actually only the good ones, the potential wives. The woman of his life was going to kill him. That's it. He may be an adult, but his mother was making sure to still have a big impact in his life. He was free, but not really. Sometimes, he felt like he was still a teenager in high school.

Melissa came and placed the bill on the table. Cora was about to take it to see how much she had to pay, but Kalvin was faster. She frowned, "What are you doing ? " She asked looking at him pulling two billets out of his wallet.

"I got this, don't worry."

"I can pay for myself." She said with an attitude.

He rolled his eyes, "It's not because I'm paying that I'm not respecting you as a woman. I know you can pay for it by yourself, you're independent, but I want to invite you. If it makes you better, you'll pay next time." Next time ? What that means exactly ?

"I hope you enjoyed your meal." Melissa said smiling.

"Yes, thanks." Kalvin answered quickly and suddenly he stood up and he was on his way to go.

Cora rolled her eyes ans followed him, "Hey ! Where are you going now ? We have to talk ! " She said grabbing his arm. 

He turned around, "Listen, I have your number, so I'll call you later."

"What ? " She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I...I need to...go. I'll see you later, I promise." He kissed her cheek and walked away. The valet gave him his car keys, he thanked him getting in his red Ferrari and in snap he disappeared. All of this happened so fast that Cora couldn't stop him. She was standing there in front of the restaurant completely lost. She was prepared in case things didn't get well, but that...What was she going to do now ? Was she about to raise another child all by herself ? 

She got in her car sadly. Why was she so unlucky with men ? Why couldn't she just meet the right one ? Will she ever be happy ? Will she find true love ? Will she get married as she wanted to ? It was one of her dreams when she was a kid. It was just by seeing how her father and mother were with each other. Their love was so beautiful ! Every day, it looked like she was watching a romantic movie by looking at them. His father was always covering her mother with sweet kisses. In the morning, when she was cooking breakfast, he was always sneaking in the kitchen to come behind her and wrap his arm securely around her waist, then placed his lips gently on her neck. This gesture was always making her mother blush like she was still a teenage girl. Cora wanted to feel that kind of love too, but it looked like everything was against her and didn't want her to find her own happiness.

She wiped her tears away. She couldn't allow herself to cry for a man again. She was done with that. She had to be strong. For her family. If Kalvin didn't want to be in his baby's life, then it will be like that. Anyways, you already had done this with two kids, so one more won't be that hard.

She was hoping.

-

-

-

 { One Week Later | (10 a.m) }

Kalvin was angry. It was Thursday and a day off for me. He wanted to do nothing, but just being lazy all day. That was his wish. But it seemed like the person that was banging on his door wasn't going to let him do this. He was ready to cuss him or her out, whoever it was. One thing he hated, was being disturbed in his sleep. Plus, this morning he was having a good dream. 

He unlocked the door and then opened it, but only to wish that he had never done this. The woman he didn't need to see for the moment was standing before him with a big smile on her face. He wanted to close the door in her face, but he was valuing his life though. He didn't need to be in trouble with her. 

"Mum, what do you want ? " He asked annoyed.

"That's how you greet your mother ? "

He tried not to roll his eyes, "Good morning mummy. How are you ? " 

She beamed entering in like she owned the place, "Good morning, baby ! And I'm sad." 

"Why ? " 

"Because my son didn't call since a millennial ! " She threw a pillow at him, "That's really how you want to treat me, after aaaalll these hours of pain in labor to put your big head out of my body ? That's really how you want to do me ?! I can't believe it ! I spent years to raise you and here are the results. A son who neglects me ! " She sat on the couch and raised her hands up towards the sky, "Why Lord ? I gave him everything. Everything ! I tried to be the best mother. I bathed him, I fed him, I paid him toys, when he needed help with his homework, I was there. I did so much for this kid. So I would like to know why, Lord ? Why he can't pick the phone, dial my number and call just to know how I am doing ? Is it too much to ask ? No, I don't think so." 

Kalvin shook his head wondering how he did to live in the same house with her during eighteen years. Of course, he loved his mother to death and would bring her the moon if she asks for it, but she could be so dramatic, "Are you done ? " 

She looked at him like he had lost his damn mind, "Excuse you ? "

Kalvin took a deep breath, "I meant, I am sorry. I was really busy." 

She raised her eyebrow, "Doing what ? " He stayed quiet. It's been one week that he was avoiding everybody, "Kal ? I swear, if you didn't call because you were with one of these b-"

"No ! " And it was the truth. He had too much going on in his mind, he couldn't think about something else, but the child he was going to have. A father. He was going to be someone's father. During this past week, he thought about his future and what he will have to change in a couple of months for the baby. It won't be about just him anymore. 

"What were you doing then ? We never go one entire week without contacting each other. I thought something bad had happened to my little baby. Were you sick ? "

He shook his head, "No, I wasn't sick."

Donya Ryans knew each one of her three kids like the back of her hand. They could never have secrets with her. She just knew when something was bothering one of them. And she knew it was the case with her son, so she wanted to know what was the issue he was dealing with. Yes, she was going to find out, whether he liked it or not, "Then tell mummy what's wrong."

"I'm fine..."

She snorted with laughter, "Please ! Don't insult my intelligence and try to lie to me ! Please, don't dare to do it ! Just tell me." She insisted with her right hand on her right hip.

It was better sooner than later anyways. And plus, she couldn't kill him since he had to be there for his kid. He took a deep breath and sat next to her, "I...A girl is pregnant." He simply said.

She frowned, "Who is that girl ? " She asked curiously.

"Her name is Cora, Cora McKall. I met her in a club. By the way, she's the owner of this club Diamond's."

"Oh ! I went there with my friend. She did a good job with it."

Kalvin narrowed his eyes at her. She was in a club ? He shook his head in disbelief, "Yeah, well...we slept together one night and now she's carrying my baby."

Donya's brain stopped for a second. The first time, she didn't really got it, but now she understood what he was saying. She screamed and abruptly stood up, then she began to mumbled some things under her breath. She was talking with God, asking why this was happening to her, that she knew she wasn't perfect, but she surely didn't deserve it and she continued like that for a couple of minutes. 

Then she turned her head towards her son, "Are you sure about this ? " 

"She's not like that." Kalvin tried to reassure her.

"Really ? How many hours do you spend with her to say that ? These bitches are capable of anything to  be famous and have money. Nowadays, that's all they want ! And YOU, my son, is the perfect prey for them, but don't worry I won't let them hurt you neither use you. I'm serious, Kal ! This is not a game, a child is not a thing to joke with ! It's going to change your life. Did she ask you for money yet ? "

"No ! She's independent, beautiful, smart, funny, humble and lovely. She's a good girl, an amazing woman. She doesn't want money from me." Kalvin defended Cora.

His mother sighed and sat back next to him, "At least, she's not one of these ratchet whores. So, when am I going to meet her ? "

Kalvin's body stiffed, "Uh...We have to talk about it first and when it'll be the right time, you'll meet her. But not now." 

She looked at him offended, "What ? I'm not good enough for her ?! What are you trying to say exactly ? " 

All of sudden, the doorbell rang interrupting their conversation. Kalvin groaned and got up. Now, he would've liked to have a busy day. 

"Hey, little bro ! Can we come in ? " Even if he had told them no, they would enter though. So he let space for them to walk in his condo. 

"Why did you not tell me that we were having a family reunion today ? " He asked closing the front door.

"It wasn't planned, but we didn't hear from you since one week. We had to come to see if you're okay." His big sister, Kalia, answered putting her bag on the coffee table. Then her and his brother, Kaldrick, hugged their mother to greet her.

"See, I told you." Donya added with a little smirk.

Kalvin sighed, "Well, I'm fine."

"No, he is not ! Your little brother got someone pregnant. Can you believe it ? "

Both of them gasped, "Aw, the baby is growing up." Kalia squealed and hugged him until almost preventing him to breath, "I'm gonna have a little niece ! "

Their mother rolled her eyes, "Why are you so happy for ? " She asked raising her eyebrow.

Kalia's smile faded once she saw her mother's face expression, "Mama, every child is a blessing ! We should all be happy about this. Plus, you never stop bothering us with your desire to have grandchildren. Your dream is becoming a reality and you want to be negative ? Is it because he's the baby and Kaldrick and I still don't have kids on our own ? Well, you better be satisfied with what you have for now, because I'm still not ready and I can't get pregnant anyways and Kaldrick is about that player life. You can only have hopes with Kalvin." She had a point, but their mother wasn't having it. It wasn't happening like she wanted to. Of the three, only Kalia wasn't afraid to speak her mind to Donya. 

"Honey, you can still adopt. You're going to be thirty-one an-"

"Mama, we already talked about it. God has a plan for me and it will happen what will happen. Que sera, sera."

"Okay... But Kalvin is still having a baby out of wedlock ! What I told you about this ?! Mainly you boys, since your sister at least don't have to sleep with a lot of people to feel special ! "

Kalvin and his brother looked at her like she just insulted them. Matter fact, she did ! They were not sleeping with a bunch of females to feel special. It just was in their nature. Once they had discovered sex, they couldn't stop. It was more entertainment than anything else, "Okay. I heard enough ! I want you all out ! Now ! "

"WHO you think you are to kick me out ?! " Donya retorted getting angry. All this situation was frustrating her. That's not how it was supposed to happen. All she wanted was her children to get married before to start making babies. But each one of them had their own plan and wasn't going her way. She wondered what God was punishing her for. 

"I'm paying the bills. It's my condo ! MINE ! So now OUT ! "

.

.

.

One hour later and Kalvin couldn't relax. This family is so annoying ! They messed up his day. His precious day off. He was working hard every day and when he needed a free day, the members of his family decided to come, be nosey and mind his business.

He groaned irritated and went to take a shower. The hot water falling on his body, helped his tense muscles to relax and to calm his nerves also. He cleaned himself taking all his time to enjoy this alone moment and to put his thoughts in order. He had to call Cora and to start getting ready to welcome his child. At least, I have some months.

After one hour and thirty minutes, he finally got out and dried his body. He pulled his towel around his waist and went in his bedroom to get some clothes. As he was about to open his closet, he heard the doorbell. He rolled his eyes wondering why everybody had to bother him on this day that was supposed to be wonderful. He hit the wall with his fist and went to answer.

Suddenly his anger went away and was replaced with surprise, "Uh...Cora ? What are you d-" He hadn't even the time to ask the question entirely because her hand met his left cheek.

She was pissed off, "Why did you NOT call me ? "

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Feel free to comment and/or to vote =)

•A/N: Kalvin is in trouble *in my singer's voice* What do you think of his reaction ? And what about his fam, mostly his mother Mrs. Ryans ?

So...the next chapter might be private, but it's not sure yet. It'll depend on WP.

Dedication goes to JessicaDawson ! Your support is always appreciated muahh 💋❤

Thanks for reading guys !

And sorry for the mistakes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 308 30
Her loving husband or her loving boyfriend. who treats her like no other. He is the best thing that has ever happened to her. ' you make me soooooo h...
1.4K 76 23
I wish to be a butterfly. Free to do whatever I want. To fly where I wish. But I can't. I can't do this because of something that happened about thre...
1.6M 48.7K 51
After five years and a thousand regrets, two old lovers meet again.. "What kind of stunt are you pulling out this time?" I see his eyes blaze in blue...
1.4K 47 37
I closed my eyes as a crippling pain spread through my soul. "You're my best friend and I love you" I tell him trying to hold back the single tear t...