CHANGES | Nathan Scott

By bjfanfic

"Morning will come, nothing can stop that." AU setting | Nathan Scott x OC + OTH Cast. More

P R E F A C E
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
CHANGES
67
68
69
70
71
72
73

48

788 14 8
By bjfanfic

Our weekend away sadly felt short lived and yet ended on such a high. My parents loved Nathan, no one ended up throttling another and any bickering had been kept to a minimum; Aside from myself and dad battling for the last say in any matter, this was to be expected. Ultimately, mission accomplished.

The GPS' voice interrupts our music to instruct the next turn; we're on the home stretch and not far to go now.

Stealing a glance through the sun visors mirror, Chris' happily sandwiched in-between Sam and Haley, contrasting his mood by miserably staring out the cars' windows.

"Did you have fun?" I decide to ask everyone.
I didn't care who answered, really we needed some kind of conversation, rather than the dull hum of the engine. Or Nathan's horrible choice in music, which involves my hands being attacked if I even dared to touch the mans' radio. The only thing I managed was turning down the volume enough to tolerate it - barely.

Nathan hums happily in response, followed by his hand clutching mine and squeezing it.

"I had a fan-tas-tic time, your mum definitely loves me... I think I'm even inspired to write a song about her..." Chris ponders and hums some words, along with his head booping to a tune only he can hear. And continues to say, "Watta 'bout you guys?" he stretches his long arms around either of them. More so Haley, taking advantage of the opportunity to tuck her into his side.

"Peachy, just peachy," Haley cups her chin, propping her elbow up to the door frame and staring off in the moving distance.

Chris wasn't lying when he said he got along with our parents so well, because like his music, he'd been a hit meeting our parents. Mum in particular, being a sucker for a musician and one who happily serenaded her originals or cover songs at her request, turning into a sing a long - karaoke hour at our place.

However Sam, looked like he'd turn the word hit and give it another definition for Chris; by  punching him in the face.
Knowing who he is and his temper, we're about 10 seconds from disaster.

"And you Sam?" I question him swiftly, noting his balled fist when I glance around the back of my seat, rather than through the mirror. "Did you enjoy yourself and meeting the parents, again?"

"Oh it was a grand ol'time," he mutters and the blood returns to his released fist, wrapping his hand around the tips of his thigh by his knee. By holding on to himself, he'd be holding back from a fight.

For Nathan's sake and driving, I prayed he'd remain calm enough until we're safely back in town. Then he can do as he pleases.

"Call me, when you're home, so I know no one got hurt on the way," I whisper to Haley upon hugging her tense figure.

Chris and Sam are at a safe distance from one another but still trying to keep close to Haley.

"If I make it there," she mutters back and sighs, backing away and dealing with those two - who fought over the front passenger seat next to her, who's driving them back to campus.

"You'll be fine," I mouthed to her, then closing  the door and pressing my back flat against it. Immediately I smile at our apartment. It may be small in comparison to the room - house we'd just left. But here it's home, especially when Nathan crosses the lounge, taking off his shirt, my eyes raking across his toned and muscular body.

"Shower?" He tilts his chin towards the bathroom and the direction he'd been walking.

There's be no reason for him to ask me twice, as I start to shed away my clothes. With a swift force he grasps my arms in his big hands and hauls me into the quick to turn steamy room.

Oh home, sweet home.

Later that night a knock sounds at the door. Both myself and Nathan peel our eyes from the TV and glance at the door. If only we had mind controlling powers. I groan when getting up to answer it, Nathan's watchful glance still at the door.

When opening, no one is there, only because of a whisk of wind coming past, a paper bag by my feet rustles.
The bag is small and no flames. I pray this isn't a poo bag. Nudging with the tip of my slipper, the bag is flatten, which is a relief. Picking up and peeping inside, I find an envelope.
Closing the door, I make my way back to Nathan; we discover the letter has my name on the front. I spare no more time to shred and see a small calling card.

'Meet me at William and King street, before light, tomorrow,' the cursive text reads.

"I'm going with you," Nathan say defensively in time when we both finish reading the short message, "Who knows what creep did this."

"I-I yeah, well maybe you... no. I can't go." My eyes read the single line over and over again, as though I'll decode a hidden message. But it's plain and simple. "I mean, if I go, no- I won't."

"Well what is it? We going or not?" He asks and takes his turn to do the same to read it.
Yet this time he's up from the couch, reaching for a bat hidden under the couch, which I didn't know he'd placed there and goes for the door.
There's a roaring engine that sounds when he's on the balcony and I come up behind him. It's too dark out for us to see the escaping vehicle.

"Do not go without me," he warns me and searches my eyes for understanding to his request. "I'll never forgive myself if something happens to you," he says this a little quieter.

The night's sleep was restless. I wanted it to be morning so I can get this over with. I knew I was crazy for even doing this but my curiosity was always going to get the better of me. I had to do this.

With no effort, I slipped on some joggers, tee and a jacket with a hoodie to shield my unsightly bed hair.
Nathan wasn't far off the same look as me but with his trademark look that includes his baggy basketball shorts. I didn't know how his chicken legs weren't freezing against the fresh morning air but I wasn't too concerned about arguing this early with him over shorts, when we're on our way to meet god knows who.

"I'll be right here," Nathan says again, after going through the plan several times on our way over. His pace slows down and goes ahead with taking his seat. He'd found a spot across the intersection, shielding anyone from where I am but still within eye view from where he sat, perched behind a newspaper.

I don't bother to wait for the traffic lights for the pedestrian crossing, there's not many people, let alone cars shout. I'm standing beneath a tall street signs reading King and William. I didn't know who or what to look out for, and I still couldn't let go of the unsettling feeling of how stupid this is.

A small throaty cough sounds and I slowly turn, eyes widen but I blink them a few times to settle my gaze and land my eyes on to...

Lucas.

"What the hell, you left that note? Why didn't you just come inside and talk to me normally?" I question him, yet my authrotive voice cracks in the process.

"I could have, but, I-I'm sorry, I just gotta do this-" he cuts off his own words by cupping my face and pressing his lips full force to mine. having me close enough his hands drop and he wraps his arms instinctively around my frame, hauling my front to press against his beating chest. He'd put every ounce of passion into his kiss and I stood there, mouth not reciprocating the action.
My mind screaming as my cries would only be muffled with his hungry lips attacking mine.

Clicking of heels comes up behind me.

"Lucas? what the hell! Why am I here to watch the history channel of cheaters on repeat?" A raspy voices cracks.
Brooke's here.

"Brooke? Hi?" Haley's annoyed tone comes to ears reach. What's she doing here?

Lucas pulls back. What the hell is going on?

Nathan came over so quickly, it's within a blink of an eye his fist connects with Lucas' jaw and sends his brother stumbling backwards on impact. His hand hauls me with his tumbling steps, when he finally lets go of my frame.

"What the fuck, what're you playin' at Lucas!" Nathan snarls at Lucas.
Once I'm fully aware of what's about to happen, I'm over to tug at Nathan's hand, then grasping his forearm, really trying to grab at anything I can to hold him back, even though he's stronger than me.

"My thoughts exactly!" Brooke adds and folds her arms, probably trying to resist the urge to swing a punch too. "I got a message to come here and so god help me if it's for this," she fishes in her small handbag an shows a card pinched between her pointed and middle finger, which Haley then holds up, too.

"Guessing we're fashionably late to the party?" A casual voice sounds from behind us, Peyton coming within view with Tim by her side and looking more confused then ever. they hold a little calling card up in front, showing the same thing we'd all received.

"Why are we here?" Haley says storming over to Lucas, who's rubbing his tender jaw. "Who's sick idea was this to make us come here and see you do that?"

"I-I did this," he pants out with a light chuckle.

How could he laugh at this? After being punched? Nathan's fist scraped by the corner of his mouth, where a thin trail of blood trickles down his chin.

"I wanted us to all get together, properly and tell you somet-" Lucas says with a gasp and short of breath, clutching his chest. But breathes normally again. Haley and I exchange a worried look and hope his heart wasn't playing up again.

Chris and Sam now appear, too. Not pleased to be by each other's side, so they go separately in the group, where Chris found a spot beside Brooke and Sam to Haley and Lucas.

"What, tell us what? Do you communicate by kissing? And kissing my girlfriend at that?" Nathan growls and I pull his hand yet again before he lunges towards Lucas.

"Girlfriend?" Peyton and Tim chime together. Short term memory loss hasn't failed Tim when he was there that day upon my introduction to Nathan's parents. Or he just had a selective memory.

"Yes, girlfriend," he repeats himself and in a slow but clear tone this time. "You better have a good explanation for this, before I punch you again." His eyes turn to skits and narrow on him like a loaded gun, ready to shoot at Lucas.

"Gir-girlfriend?" Lucas stammers out and looks to me like I'd tell him something different. "What, when? How did that happen?"

"Wow, congrats guys, about time," Brooke says in a happier tone; I sense a wave of relief that I'm off the market and out her way. "You, I'll be dealin with later..." she says to Lucas, who's looking defeated.

"I think we need to go," Sam tells Haley, even though he's just arrived, he knew when to act, and ushers Haley away.
At first she resists, wanting to stay with Lucas who just waves her off, mouthing something quietly to her.
Chris takes his cue to follow them.
Brooke shaking her head, crossing her arms against her chest and follows them, too.
"I must be so stupid to keep giving him chances But I can't help the fact I really like him," I hear Brooke say to Chris, who's arm wraps across her shoulder but she doesn't seem to mind. Letting go from being crossed, slowly her arm wraps around his waist.
The girl who was only one-woman-Man may be having her doubts with Lucas.
I couldn't blame her.
I only prayed she didn't hate me at this point.
Chris shares words of wisdom, or lyrics, who knew with that charmer but when Brooke laughs, you can only hope it's something good.

Peyton, Tim, Nathan, myself and Lucas remained, we're all scattered distances from one another but close enough.

"So?" Tim hums, tucking his hands into his pocket to pull out his phone and check the time, as he announces it. "6:30am... guess it's time to start training..."

"I'll give it a miss," Nathan waves him off, and Tim scuttles away.

"Lucas," I say, finding my words that'd failed me till now. "We need to talk."

Nathan looks at me questionably but I shake my head. He backs off and Peyton's at his side. The pair hadn't properly spoken in a while, maybe now was a good time. He's closer by this time, so he can swoop in rather than run in front of traffic.

"What the hell was that?" I harshly whisper at him, standing face to face, him having the height advantage he didn't have to look me in the eyes unless he looked down at me.

"What? the kiss?" he's not one to play dumb, well, even though his actions were usually anything but questionable. "I had to. I wanted to bring us all together and tell everyone..." he trails off and stops talking.

"Tell everyone what?"

His eyes search the ground before they're locked back on mine. "That I made a mistake," he says with his eyes going heavy and his head falling back down to rest against his chest.  "It hurts to see you with him."

"Lucas..."
I subtly glance enough to see Nathan fuming, Peyton still speaking and hopefully causing enough of a distraction-conversation to keep him in his spot for a little longer.

"I want you back." He tells me.

"What? You never had me in the first place," I scoff and take a step back when his hand reaches to grab mine. "We've got history, we're best friends but you never did anything about us... and went for other girls. I got tired of waiting for you."
I'm not sure why I'm even admitting this, he knew all of it. Maybe he's getting a sick thrill out of me telling him this and hopeful Nathan will hear the wrong end of the conversation.

"Do you wanna know something? When I see you with him, something tells me to punch him-because he's going to hurt you-" he starts and we both know he's bringing Nathan into this to cause yet another reaction, "and you're never going to be happy... not as happy as you would be if you were with me."

"Why are you saying this? He won't hurt me! And you're with Brooke, which you seem to keep forgetting this."

"Because! I mean, I like Brooke, she's amazing but... I love you." His breath starts to hitch again, and he's finding it hard to breath. His hand grasps at his chest. his knees buckle and he lowers himself a little like he's about to collapse.

"Luke-" I panic.

"You do care," he releases his chest and smiles with relief.

"Oh my- you know what, you're an asshole." In doing this, he'd crossed a line pretended to have a heart attack, or any kind of attack. He's had it happen for real a few years ago, within a span of a year, twice. Haley and I were so scared we'd lose him that time. I felt the sting in my eyes, hurt he'd pretend, even though he wanted to know I cared, which yes, I always will, I knew I'd never be his.

"Give me a chance, I can show you it's different now," he says and finds a moment to slip his hand in mine when he stands up right and clutches to my awaiting hand that was going to grab him before he fell head first to the ground like has before.
It felt so familiar but wrong at the same time. His thumb rubs the back of my hand and I half smiled at him.
I loved Lucas, but that's the key word, I loved, I don't love him, not like that anymore. He may be the first love I'll ever have but we weren't the end game I'd hoped for years ago.

"It's not going to happen," I tell him and remove my hand from his, the cold air brushing away the warmth of his touch. "I'll always be your best friend, and love you like a brother, now, but that's all."

"I'll change that, one day," he whispers as he leans in forward, his lips pressing a light kiss to my heated cheek.

I hear Nathan's feet crunch against some gravel scattered on the footpath from where a tree is. He's over in a flash and pins Lucas against a nearby tree.
Peyton and I are quick to either side of Nathan and try to pull him back.
It's too late when he lands not one but several punches to his face.

Several randoms came rushing over to the scene; these poor people, just trying to go on with their day and probably on their way to work. They're hauling Nathan back, fighting against the struggle of his blinded rage to get a grip on him.

Eventually both of them were separated and kept apart. Nathan triumphantly hurled some heavy fists and by the look of his face, Lucas did, too.

"What the hell is wrong with you two idiots!" Peyton yells to either of them. "You coulda hurt someone!"

Police approached and wrote up tickets. Great. They waited around to make sure there was no round two of fights. Making sure they took went opposite ways to one another.

"This isn't over. If you go near her, I won't hesitate kicking your sorry ass," Nathan threatens Lucas over his shoulder, not an ounce of doubt in his voice.

"Oh I know, it's only getting started, brother." Lucas says with a proud smirk, one I hadn't seen him do for a long time and I knew this meant a lot more trouble was about to come of it. I guess things really don't change even with years passing, nothing changes...

———
Please give this a star and comment if you're still reading. I'd really appreciate it ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.4K 2.3K 50
Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving away in her convertible and leaving her pa...
307K 7.7K 111
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
594K 15.8K 54
(Book Two) At the age of ten, 'Eden-Rose' is now a world renowned name. Watch as she juggles between her growing fame and her personnel life. Dance...
385K 10K 32
Princess Marie, a renowned troublemaker of Paris has entered the Ton. Marriage, children and any prospect of love have always been a 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘧...