The Preservation Plan - Book...

By paultrinetti

THE FATE OF A FUTURE AMERICA. In THE PRESERVATION PLAN, the final book of THE VEXTON SERIES, an election brin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 2

2 0 0
By paultrinetti

CHAPTER 2

With Shadow Pix out of the hospital, President Westgale has decided to show him his appreciation for saving his life with a dinner gala at the Freedom Home.

"Nicole Kratz, please meet Shadow Pix," Jessica Westgale says, quickly suppressing a smirk of—pride? Infatuation?

"Pleased to meet you," I reply, gazing up at the imposing figure before me. I quickly label him a gentle giant in my mind. Understandably, he's noticeably nervous, surrounded by America's leading politicians and military chiefs. Prior to recent events, just getting into America was next to impossible for him, let alone being the president's guest of honor.

Westgale approaches us. "Well, well, my two lifesavers in the same room," he says with a chuckle, acknowledging Shadow and me with nods. "I'm so grateful to the both of you. Sadly for me, there are a lot of people out there who wish you weren't so brave," he says wryly.

"I don't buy that," my husband, Lowell, chimes in.

The president laughs. "That's easy for you to say when you're the country's premiere golfer, loved and praised by millions." His jocularity fades to sincerity. "In all seriousness, this dinner does not come close to repaying the debt I owe to this man," he says as he places his right hand on Shadow's shoulder.

My gaze drifts as the small talk continues, and I notice Dr. Ahar waving me over from across the ballroom. I excuse myself and move toward him.

"Did you wish to see me, Doctor?" I ask as I join him.

"I hate to steal you away from the party, but it's urgent that I speak with you," he replies, his expression serious. "Would you mind coming to my office?"

"Not at all," I reply, and he turns and leads the way.

"I've been meaning to speak to you since the council's decision was made regarding Anya, but as usual, I've barely had a minute to breathe," Ahar says as he directs me to a chair in front of his large desk. My eyes are immediately drawn to several photos of Anya and his late wife, Maria, on the credenza behind the desk.

"How are things going with the VX drug?" I ask.

"Honestly, I never thought I'd be part of something so astonishing," Ahar replies, leaning back in his chair. "The process of turning that mineral into the drug is simple and completely foolproof. And the great thing is that once it's converted into the drug, its composition can't be altered in any manner whatsoever." He leans forward again and says earnestly, "When I think that this miracle was withheld from our society for thirty years, it really crushes my heart."

"I know what you mean, Doctor. Sometimes it becomes so difficult to trust in humanity, knowing such evil prevails," I reply. "So, what is it you've been wanting to speak to me about?"

He regards me for a moment. "I want to thank you for continuing to support Anya. I realize my daughter will never be free again, but the thought of her being executed... she doesn't deserve that, Nicole," he replies. He turns his chair enough that he can gaze back at the photos, and shakes his head. Tears slowly begin to stream down his cheeks. "She's such a lost soul. Of the five times I've asked to see her, only once did she agree to see me, and even then I couldn't get more than a few words out of her," he says, his voice thick with emotion. "Her eyes... they've become deep, black holes. I'm really terrified there's no hope for her."

"And I understand Dr. Durant hasn't had much success reaching her either," I say gently.

The doctor sighs and nods. "He told me he's lucky if he can get a few words out of her, too."

"I'm so sorry, Doctor."

Ahar stands up and steps over to the credenza to pour us both a glass of water. "If anyone's to blame, it's me, Nicole," he says as he hands one of the glasses to me, then sits down. "I've never been there for her the way I needed to be. Sure, I funded and aided her with her schooling, but obviously that wasn't enough, and sadly, I was so caught up in my own world that I failed to see that. I'm convinced the way I handled my success set the stage for Anya's descent into her world of misery." He stares blankly into his glass as if conjuring a memory from the past.

***

"Do you remember Cassandra, Anya?" Jack asked her. It was a week after Anya's fifteenth birthday. "She sang that amazing song I played for you. The one called 'Dreamscape.'"

"Yes, I remember," Anya answered quietly as she studied the glamorous Cassandra Dennison, dressed in a tight-fitting turquoise leather outfit. Jack's much younger girlfriend also happened to be a celebrity singer.

"Your father told me you really enjoy playing the flute," Cassandra said.

Anya didn't respond; she continued to stare at her. Trying to break the awkward moment, Jack quickly changed the subject. "I also told Cassandra that you just won first prize in the New York State High School Science Competition," he said, beaming. He pulled Cassandra close to him. "I just feel so terrible that I'll be out of town and have to miss the presentation gala. Now, I told Shannon to make sure she records the event and sends me the view-file," Jack added, referring to Anya's nanny.

When Anya eventually learned that the only reason her father missed the gala was because Cassandra was performing in Boston that evening, she was devastated.

***

"I hope you don't mind me saying, Doctor, but I don't think you're being fair to yourself," I answer. "As the country's premiere scientist and doctor, you've contributed so much to America."

"Yeah, but at the expense of my daughter's well-being," Ahar responds. As he takes a drink of water, I find myself pondering what he just said. "Since the day I revealed the truth to Anya about how her mother died, it's obvious she's kept her true feelings shrouded," he says solemnly. "And regrettably, the animosity she feels toward me is justifiable. I guess, in a way, living extravagantly helped me camouflage my own sadness and guilt over my wife's death."

"Guilt? Why should you feel guilty?"
"I'm a doctor, Nicole. I should have saved her."
"Come on, Doctor, you can't do this to yourself. No one could have saved your wife that day. And it surely wasn't your fault that that hospital was closed."

Dr. Ahar reflects for a moment before saying, "I only wish, somehow, I could reach her. It's been so long since I've seen her smile. In her current state, I don't know how any court will see a reason to overturn her death sentence."

"Well, this just might help her case," I say as I take out my flash- pad. "So far, besides myself, only the president and Director Perry have been privy to this, but I think it's important you see it as well." I show him the list of substantial charitable donations Anya anonymously made before turning herself in.

The doctor looks at me in disbelief. "Anya made these donations?" he says, his voice cracking.

Once again, he stares into the middle distance as his mind travels back to some memory only he can see.

***

"Whoa, if you keep collecting these awards, soon you'll be flying around in a bigger plane than mine," the doctor quipped after she'd been presented with a $200,000 award for academic excellence at Summit University. He spread his arms, mimicking the wings of a plane.

"Yeah, and when you're in need of your own luxurious condo, I know someone you can call," said Meredith, another of the doctor's much younger girlfriends, who happened to be an aspiring real estate agent. The couple roared with laughter. Anya was far from amused.

***

"How did you find out?" he asks, nodding at the information displayed on my flash-pad.

"After I handed in my resignation, I continued learning as much as I could about your daughter, and through some sheer hard work, I was able to trace these donations back to her," I answer. "I see them as a sign of hope."

"Will this be made public? Doesn't it have to be submitted to the court beforehand?" Ahar asks, still looking at the screen.

"No, and I advise holding off until the hearing. It'll be far more impactful," I reply.

Turning, the doctor lifts one of the photos of Anya and smiles. He draws a deep breath and exhales. "Will you do it, Nicole?" he asks.

"Do what?" I reply with a raised brow.
"Represent her again."
"What about Arthur? He's one of the best there is," I respond, referring to the doctor's long-time attorney, Arthur Fine, whom I'd studied under at Summit University.

"That's true. Arthur's a fantastic attorney and a good, decent man, but I know Anya sees him as an extension of my life. I highly doubt she'll respond to him as positively as she might to you."

I think for a moment, and softly reply, "I don't know, Doctor. With the election around the corner, and the fact that Anya's story now has America's youth questioning everything about this country, this is something I'll have to really think about."

Dr. Ahar sighs and nods. "Well, I guess that's all I can ask. I realize it would put you in an uncomfortable position during the election, but other than those creeps from AXE, you've been the only person she's willing to speak with in quite some time. I sincerely believe that you're our only hope when it comes to bringing my daughter out of her malaise."

"I promise you I'll give it some real thought."

When I return to the gala, Shadow Pix is speaking from the front of the ballroom. "I'm extremely excited and honored to be welcomed into your Freedom Home. Thank you so much for having me," he says sincerely. The audience cheers with enthusiasm. "I'm also thrilled that the Westgale Administration has accepted the proposal to allow Pinia to supply America with our treasured natural resources. Just as your country's VX drug is changing the face of medicine, experts around the world believe the Pinian fera-bean will forever change the face of natural energy. And we are elated to share this with America." The cheering grows louder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 4
In a post-apocalyptic world, Leo and Evie uncover the truth about what led to the downfall of the United States and the corruption running rampant in...
80 7 31
**Be sure and check out book 1!! ** Jacob Track was murdered and haunted his place of death for almost a year, when his ex-girlfriend, Zacchya, came...
Moonlight By spencermck

Science Fiction

10 0 10
The world has changed. People are trying to move on in the aftermath of a virus that sweeped the globe. More than half of the world's population has...
339 80 38
The state of Wisteria lies in a desert wasteland, formerly known as the United States. The tyrannical president and the elite live in luxury while t...