Gilmore Girls: Breaking Free

By HelenLouise7

It seems that no matter how much time passes by, the big questions left by Gilmore Girls 'A Year in the Life'... More

Chapter 1: That's the Dynastic Plan
Chapter 2: Maine
Chapter 3: Settling In
Chapter 4: Lorelai
Chapter 5: The Interview
Chapter 6: Saturday
Chapter 8: The Spending Spree
Chapter 9: The Phone Call
Chapter 10: More Surprises
Chapter 11: The Storm
Chapter 12: Evening Walk
Chapter 13: The Accident
Chapter 14: The Coma
Chapter 15: Waking Up
Chapter 16: Filling in the Gaps
Chapter 17: The Turnaround
Chapter 18: Revelations
Chapter19: Breakthrough
Chapter 20: London
Chapter 21: Coming Home
Chapter 22: Special
Chapter 23: Highs and Lows
Chapter 24: When the Bough Breaks
Chapter 25: More Memories
Chapter 26: Sacrifice
Chapter 27: I'll be Home For Christmas
Chapter 28: Stars Hollow
Chapter 29: Unlocking Doors
Chapter 30: So Close!
Chapter 31: Breaking Free
Chapter 32: Ready for Anything
Chapter 33: All I Want For Christmas Is You!
Chapter 34: Christmas Day Surprises
Chapter 35: Early Preparations
Chapter 36: Startling Revelations
Chapter 37: The Vow
Chapter 38: The Search
Chapter 39: Reunited
Chapter 40: A Clean Slate
Chapter 41: Pre-Wedding Surprises
Chapter 42: Diamonds Are Forever
Chapter 43: I Choose You
Chapter 44: The Reception
Chapter 45: The Uninvited Guest
Chapter 46: Reconciliation
Chapter 47: Life Goes On
Chapter 48: Hope

Chapter 7: Christopher

3K 65 16
By HelenLouise7

Rory was sitting in the study putting the finishing touches to her latest chapter, when she heard the deep rumbling of her father's motor bike entering the driveway.  She was pleased that Bella had dropped by with some freshly baked cookies, so she had something to offer her dad for afternoon tea.

Christopher Hayden was almost fifty, but as he stood there in his riding leathers, Rory thought he could pass as one of her friends! She had not always appreciated how cool her dad was and right now she smiled as she greeted him, trying to picture her cool dad as a grandfather!

Rory showed him to his room and en-suite so he could freshen up before they headed out. Christopher was stunned by the house Rory was staying in and at first he hadn't made any connections but over dinner at The York River Landing, something made him ask directly.

"So which of your friends is the lucky owner of the waterfront mansion?" Christopher asked.

Rory felt uncomfortable lying so threw caution to the wind and explained it was Logan Huntzburger's, hoping that would be the end of that conversation but she was wrong.

"So I thought that your ties with Logan ended years ago!" Christopher said thinking back to how upset his daughter had been when Logan walked out of her life.

"Yes they did but we met up a couple of years ago and things took off again...." Rory explained, not wanting to go any further with the story.

"But you guys couldn't be together now because I read Logan was marrying a French heiress.....or is there something I'm missing here?"

Rory swallowed hard, knowing that she didn't want to share too much now so just answered briefly, "Yes he is getting married in a few weeks time....we ended our relationship if you could call it that but he was happy for me to write in his house. It's as simple as that! Now I wonder if they are bringing the dessert menu?"

Christopher decided not to ask any more questions concerning Logan for the rest of the evening as he sensed it was a sensitive point for his daughter. Rory really enjoyed the relaxed conversation with her father. They hadn't caught up properly for ages and it felt so good to have someone to laugh with. It surprised her that they found so many things to talk about.

When Rory expressed how much she was liking Maine, Christopher was quick to make her an offer. "So I need to give away a substantial chunk of money before the end of the financial year and I wondered if you would help me out by taking a couple of million —maybe you could invest in a property?"

Rory nearly choked on her tiramisu! "Did you say million?"

"Yes, probably two million if that's okay," Christopher responded quickly, studying his daughter's face. "I'll be giving the same amount to Gigi......although I will need to guide her .....she's pretty irresponsible when it comes to money!"

"Well it couldn't come at a better time for me Dad..." Rory said trying not to cry. "I was just going to start looking at some cheap rental properties but if I can buy, it will be a huge help!"

"I'm so pleased to be able to help Rory," Christopher said as he reached out to hold her hand. "I know that you and your mom like to be independent but part of the responsibility of being born into a society family seems to be dealing with large amounts of money! I'm sure you will make wise investments and buying up here sounds good. It really seems like a nice place to live....as long as you can find people around your age..."

Looking around the restaurant, Rory could see that they were the youngest by far, except for a couple of guys in the corner booth. Christopher noticed that as Rory's eyes scanned the room, she suddenly went red. He smiled as he supposed one of the guys in the booth had perhaps given her the eye!

"That's my new boss over there ......in the grey sweater...." Rory whispered to her dad.

"Oh really....he looks nice....why are we whispering?" Christopher asked innocently.

"I already ran into him earlier today and we had coffee....it's just weird seeing him again..." Rory explained as Matt and his dinner companion got up to leave. She was relieved that he didn't appear to notice her.

Rory was pleased that she could carry on eating without feeling like she was being watched.  "Are you going to eat the rest of your dessert Dad?"

Christopher laughed. "You are incredible Kid! Like a bottomless pit! Anyone would think you're eating for two!"

Rory stopped chewing and realised that she had to tell her father. Knowing there couldn't possibly be a better way to open up the conversation in that direction, she went for it!

"Well actually Dad, anyone would be right if they thought that because....I am pregnant..." Rory admitted knowing that their conversation would rapidly change direction now.

"Pregnant?! .....Oh wow....I wasn't expecting that Kiddo!" Christopher said sounding suitably shocked. "So congratulations.....are you okay with that? ......And so that's why you're not drinking tonight! .......... So I guess Logan is the father?"

Rory nodded and waited for her father's next reaction.

"So why is he still marrying that French heiress if you are having his child?" Christopher asked feeling very protective of Rory and increasingly hostile toward Logan Huntzburger.

"Well firstly he is locked into a contract otherwise known as the 'Dynastic Plan' and secondly.....I haven't actually told him...." Rory admitted.

"I see....well I think that you need to make that your first priority Rory...Logan needs to know....every father needs to know!.....I might not have been there when you were tiny but I knew about you and I got to meet you. I was so thrilled to be your dad...I thought you were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen....I just didn't have my life together to be who you or your mom needed me to be....we were too young but you guys have been dating on and off for years....you are both so accomplished and established in your careers..., you would make great parents together...." Christopher concluded after making his plea.

Rory didn't know how to respond to that. In her heart she knew that her dad was right but her head told her that it couldn't be done! She tried her best to explain the situation to Christopher but it all sounded really ridiculous.

"Anyway I am with you whatever you decide to do Rory. I will support you and be there for you if you'll have me," Christopher promised.

"That's really great Dad! You are already being a help just being here, spending time with me and listening," Rory said feeling very warm toward her father for the first time in a very long while.

"It's my pleasure! ........Would you be up to doing some car shopping tomorrow? I'd love to get you a nice safe mom car and if we have time, we could check out some properties!" Christopher suggested enthusiastically.

"Sounds good Dad...but right now I think I just need to go home to bed. I get really tired in the evenings!" Rory yawned.

"Okay I'll just call an Uber and we'll be on our way!" Christopher said feeling very much like he wanted to wrap his little girl in cotton wool to protect her from the demands of pregnancy and men who didn't treat her properly.

When they arrived home, Christopher insisted on making hot cocoa for Rory. She was very grateful to be pampered! Once she was in her room, Rory called her mom for a quick chat to fill her in on her dad's visit and make sure she was up to date on all the latest news. Lorelai was surprised to hear that Christopher was with Rory but pleased to hear about the financial help he was providing.

"Just promise me that you will still consider telling Logan....even though it seems difficult now, it's going to be more difficult to live your life hiding your child from him. Someone is going to see a resemblance in your child....." Lorelai said trying to guide her daughter gently but realising she might need to be more firm.

"I've thought it all through Mom....." Rory said feeling exasperated. "At this point in time I cannot be the one to wreck Logan's marriage and I don't even know for sure that he would want to take a chance on me again...I just think if he did, he may have made a move before the thing with Odette became serious....anyway I am heading to bed....I can't think about it anymore! I'm so tired!"

"Okay yeah I remember feeling completely wiped out in the first trimester...." Lorelai reminisced, "it gets better, only to be replaced by other delightful things like heartburn and swollen ankles!"

"Thanks Mom, I think I'll just be grateful for this time to sleep then...I've been lucky so far...I haven't thrown up once!" Rory said with gratitude.

"You are very lucky! I have a feeling you will breeze right through this pregnancy. Just remember to enjoy it all because once the baby is here, nothing will be the same again!" Lorelai warned her daughter.

Those words seemed to play over in Rory's mind as she tried to get off to sleep.

"Nothing will be the same again," Rory thought as she tossed and turned in her bed, ".....my body is going to go through so much change! .....Nothing is going to be the same again ....this little person is going to be a big part of my life for years to come! ......Nothing will be the same again....I will think of Logan every day as I look at my baby....he will never be far from my thoughts but will he ever think of me again? ....Nothing will be the same again ......in my relationships in the future....who would want me once they know I have a baby?.....Nothing will be the same again .....What if I have to live in Maine for good?.......No nothing will be the same again...."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.5K 2.5K 21
Matilda Hayden grew up with her father in the Elite Upper Class of Boston, and she quite enjoyed her life- thank you very much. She didn't have many...
50.8K 944 31
This story begins about 20 months after we saw Rory say good-bye to Logan in New Hampshire. She tried to tell Logan that she was pregnant, but.... R...
69.8K 1.7K 52
This story takes place 7 years after Rory turned down Logan's proposal. What happens when Logan and Rory run into each other in New York City? Loga...
18.8K 395 20
A RORY/LOGAN/JESS STORY Rory finds out she is pregnant and the father of her child is engaged... This story takes place after the revival "A Year in...