The Players (TP4)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) It is not easy growing up with the perfect Jack Harris, especially since Ryan Harris has always be... More

Author's note
1 - The Players
2 - Indecent
3 - Banished
4 - Booty call
5 - The Jail bait
6 - Loud One
7- Double Standard
8 - Guys and Baby
9 - Block Party
10 - Driving me crazy
11 - Relax we're all single
12 - Cucumber
13 - The B in the bathroom
14 - I know some secrets
15 - Angry recluse
16 - Never dropped the football
17 - By Labor Day
18 - Therapy for her soul
19 - I don't care if you do
20 - Still only one
21 - Perpetual house guest
22 - Google
23 - The way I like it
24 - The scum hurt her bad
25 - Not banished
26 - Severely Misguided
27 - Up a notch
28 - A little excitement
29 - There are no secrets here
30 - Tell Uncle Ryan all about it
31 - Hotel Shangri La
32 - It's open
33 - Don't think what you did was okay
34 - It happened again
35 - You leave a path of destruction
36 - Interpret that message
37 - I love a good cat fight
38 - One emotional visit
39 - Takes one to know one
40 - No f-ing clue
42 - Broadway Tenor
43 - Regret, lack of regret
44 - There's no room for me
45 - You weren't the only one
46 - Like AA without the alcohol problem
47 - Just a summer fling
48 - Skip the crying
49 - I am now
50 - What's yield?
51 - Loved not love
52 - If I had five minutes alone
53 - Incorrigible
54 - For Good
55 - No More Secrets
56 - Dessert
57 - An imposter
58 - Happy Birthday
59 - Better Him Than Me

41 - No cucumbers

2.2K 225 10
By pseudoannie

Lana

Everything was back to normal. She swam most days, but it was hard to ignore summer was ticking to an end.

Her mother's daily phone calls had become more and more aggravating. One day she'd be mad Lana let Adam go. Another day she'd harp on Lana about life choices. Then there was Erik who Nora found a reason to mention more often than not. Somehow Nora found out about their midnight stroll on the beach and misinterpreted its meaning.

Erik's interpretation was they were friends, and he began calling almost every day. The only days he spared her were the ones she worked at Les Bistros. Coincidentally, Erik's calls often came after her mother's and Lana found it helpful to vent to him. This was not new, he had listened to her frustrations over her mother throughout their marriage - actually their entire relationship.

"She's so annoying. She never happy with anything I do."

"But are you happy?"

"Are you sure you should be asking me that? Given the fact that I'm divorced before thirty and work as a waitress and clean toilets. No, I'm not happy with my life. Do I have friends and things I enjoy? Yes, I do."

Lana thought of floating in the pool. She needed to replace it when fall came, but with what?

"Am I your friend?"

"No! I don't know... maybe."

"Someday you'll say yes."

She walked out the door. "Doubtful. Listen I've got to go."

She was meeting Ryan who was crossing the street. They had made plans to get ice cream.

"Your mother?"

She rolled her eyes. "No, she called earlier. Erik."

"Really? Do you need a drink instead of ice cream?"

"No, we're in a better place now."

"I was shocked you were talking to him that morning when I saw you."

"Yeah, I know. He calls and I vent about Nora. He always knew how to calm me."

"Lan, I kept my mouth shut before and I know it's your life, but be careful."

"Don't worry. I am."

"So what flavor are you getting?"

"You really need to ask!" She loved anything chocolate.

She was excited about Heidi's arrival and sad at the same time. She spent all of Friday afternoon cleaning Ryan out of the cottage. The beds had fresh sheets. The refrigerator was cleaned and restocked with the list Heidi sent - no cucumbers since Heidi didn't like them. The office was empty because Ryan had taken his laptop and files. It was ready for Cameron's. The only thing that was still the same was her tube was still floating in the pool.

She didn't know where Ryan went but suspected he was at his parent's condo. She had teased him he wouldn't even be on The Point since the Harris' lived on the other side of the causeway.

Meanwhile, her parents were arriving in a few hours for the weekend. It worried Lana, she wouldn't make it through the weekend with her mother. At least she'd see her brother, she missed him.

Will jumped out of the car and started down the street.

Lana yelled after him. "Nice to see you. You better not be going to see Cassie!"

"Nope, the new cottage and then pass on the beach."

She thought about walking to the beach, but Heidi arrived and she went to greet them. Heidi jumped out of the car and gave Lana a hug. When she stepped back, she looked good. Leave it to Heidi to look great a few weeks after having a baby.

Cameron took the infant carrier out of the backseat and Lana looked at the little face with tulip lips which quivered in her sleep.

"Oh wow! You're so lucky."

"Are you okay, hun?"

"Yeah, guess who's calling me almost every day?"

"Adam?"

"No thank God. He's a coward."

"Who?"

"Erik."

"Why?"

"We're trying to be friends."

"Again, why?"

"He lets me bitch about Nora."

"Be careful."

"That's exactly what Ryan said."

"So Rye groveled and you're friend again."

"That's pretty much it. He hired me too."

"Oh right. His cottage."

"It's ugly."

"What's ugly?" Ryan suddenly appeared with Will.

"Your cottage." Lana tried to sound like she was teasing rather than insulting.

"It is, but Alex and Jen will help change it. Will wasn't as tactful."

"Will, you keep growing up. I bet you had the girls on the beach swooning all summer." Heidi tried to pinch his cheek, but he stepped away.

"Don't even go there!" Lana exclaimed catching Ryan's eye who nodded.

Heidi didn't miss anything. "What? There's a story here."

Will shook his head. "I'm outta here."

Both Ryan and Lana yelled at the same time. "Behave!"

"You two sound like his parents." Lana shifted her feet. She didn't want Heidi to get the wrong idea about her and Ryan. Lana was with Adam all summer. She and Ryan were and could only ever be friends.

"My brother should have been shipped home, but Ryan kept him out of trouble."

"I'm not sure about that. Will was hanging around with a female version of Adam and he was the one on the side and it didn't bother him." Ryan shared his opinion.

"Sounds like an exciting summer. I'm sorry I missed it."

"If you hadn't then I would have." Ryan reminded her.

"Oh Rye, I'm glad you had a good summer." Heidi casually put her arms around him and hugged him. Lana watched as he hugged her back as if it was the most natural thing.

Cameron came out of the office where he was setting up his computer. "I turn my back and you're trying to steal my wife again."

"Nah, but I'll steal a beer if you have one." Ryan looked happy and relaxed. These were his people, Lana realized for the first time.

"He does." Lana answered.

Ryan looked at her. "Of course he does, your service is one of a kind."

She felt the heat rise into her cheeks over his compliment. She didn't respond and looked over at Grace who was stirring. She crinkled up her little face before she let out a loud squawk. As Heidi undid the fasteners and lifted her, she cooed. "Baby's hungry."

"Oh, Lord! I just spend an entire summer running from Maddie's boobs."

Cameron laughed. "Come on, let's go out on the deck."

Once the men left, Heidi looked at Lana. "It's weird seeing you two as friends. I never expected it." She didn't give Lana a chance to respond. "Not as weird as you talking to Erik. What the hell is wrong with you? You can never go back to him!"

"What? No! Listen, the whole thing with Adam might not have been what I thought it was, but I learned a few things from it."

"Such as..."

"Well let's just say, I didn't know how good it could be. Sex with Adam was so much better."

"You'd been together for years."

"Yeah and we started out not knowing what we were doing and continued. So Adam opened up a whole new world to me." Lana whispered because she didn't want them to hear on the deck.

"Just focus on the fling aspect of your time with Adam. Who cares if he's a slime, you had fun, right?"

Lana nodded. Heidi was partly right there were certain aspects she didn't regret. She hated being a fool though.

"So he's hot? Do you have any pictures of him?"

Lana shook her head. "No, I deleted them all. You'll have to ask Maddie or Jack. Ryan wouldn't have any, he doesn't even like him too much."

"I thought he was his client."

"Yeah, but even without the other girl, he didn't think Adam was good enough for me. Seriously, it wasn't like I fantasized about marrying the man. You're right he was just a fling, why didn't I recognize it at the time?"

"Maybe because you never had anything but a serious relationship. This is a new world for you. You and Ryan get along, maybe you can try him out and report back. I've always suspected he would be something special under the sheets."

"Heidi! No way! To think he thought I was the cheap one who couldn't be your friend. He has no idea what you were like when you were single."

"Um, no and let's keep it that way, please. Cam knows just enough."

Cam came through the door. "What's all the excitement?"

"Nothing!" They both responded in unison.

"I need to go home. I have a busy day tomorrow. Good night. I'm so glad you're here."

"Bye, honey."

As Lana lay in bed thinking about their conversation, she wondered about Ryan. She had seen him shirtless enough to want to run her hands over his smooth, strong shoulders and forearms and she could go on. Girl, it's not happening. The friend zone is exactly where we belong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.5K 48
COMPLETED. Book 1/4 of the Adam's Series - She moved in with her twin brother. He lived with her brother. But, you can't blame gravity for falling in...
2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
1.2M 47.8K 63
{18+ COLLEGE ROMANCE COMPLETED} What sucks more than being rejected by the girl of your dreams? Finding out afterward that she's moving in with you...
99.1K 4.5K 29
[2021 Wattys Shortlist] Monica Kelly returns to her hometown years after abandoning it, only to bump into and befriend Liam Belkin-who, despite his w...