The Players (TP4)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) It is not easy growing up with the perfect Jack Harris, especially since Ryan Harris has always be... More

Author's note
1 - The Players
2 - Indecent
3 - Banished
4 - Booty call
5 - The Jail bait
6 - Loud One
7- Double Standard
8 - Guys and Baby
9 - Block Party
10 - Driving me crazy
11 - Relax we're all single
12 - Cucumber
13 - The B in the bathroom
14 - I know some secrets
15 - Angry recluse
16 - Never dropped the football
17 - By Labor Day
18 - Therapy for her soul
19 - I don't care if you do
20 - Still only one
21 - Perpetual house guest
22 - Google
23 - The way I like it
24 - The scum hurt her bad
25 - Not banished
26 - Severely Misguided
27 - Up a notch
28 - A little excitement
29 - There are no secrets here
31 - Hotel Shangri La
32 - It's open
33 - Don't think what you did was okay
34 - It happened again
35 - You leave a path of destruction
36 - Interpret that message
37 - I love a good cat fight
38 - One emotional visit
39 - Takes one to know one
40 - No f-ing clue
41 - No cucumbers
42 - Broadway Tenor
43 - Regret, lack of regret
44 - There's no room for me
45 - You weren't the only one
46 - Like AA without the alcohol problem
47 - Just a summer fling
48 - Skip the crying
49 - I am now
50 - What's yield?
51 - Loved not love
52 - If I had five minutes alone
53 - Incorrigible
54 - For Good
55 - No More Secrets
56 - Dessert
57 - An imposter
58 - Happy Birthday
59 - Better Him Than Me

30 - Tell Uncle Ryan all about it

2K 212 31
By pseudoannie

Lana

When Lana stepped out of her bedroom, she was humming. Her mother eyed her suspiciously. "There's coffee. You shouldn't be wasting your money buying it every day."

Not willing to engage, she poured herself a cup and stood with her back against the counter. She had already glanced across the street. Adam had left. It disappointed her they wouldn't go to the beach together like they normally did. She thought about going on her own, but knew she would probably just go for a swim instead. It was easier not dealing with lugging her chair and the sand. When did she stop liking the beach? The answer was when she stopped having a friend to go with. If Bethany texted her and asked her to go, she would in a heartbeat, but oddly she didn't bother sending a text Beth's way.

She had another friend she liked to hang out with, but she had trouble admitting it even to herself. Ryan Harris had become her BFF, and she didn't know what to make of it. How had she come to rely on the moody jerk? Perhaps because more often than not, he took the time to pull the damn stick out of his ass and he was a lot of fun.

"So what's the story with you and that man?" Her mother's voice interrupted her mental planning her day.

"Man?" Why was her mother asking about Ryan?

"Jack's friend who you've been seeing."

She was referring to Adam. "His name is Adam and we're just dating. Don't reserve the hall yet?"

"Hall! Your father and I paid for one big wedding. We won't be doing it again."

Lana couldn't even imagine doing the whole white dress, gift registry and bride's maids thing again. Two of her bridesmaids abandoned her, because they stuck to their boyfriends and Erik. Why did they choose his side? Because they wanted the diamond and the hall, and they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize it. One of the two got her wish and Lana was left off the guest list. You would think she was the one who cheated. Lana wondered if Erik brought the whore with the kid to the wedding.

Her father entered the kitchen and interrupted her thoughts. He greeted her.

"Good morning, Daddy."

Her father glared at her mother and then sighed in her direction. She felt a fist tighten in her belly, because something was going on and she sensed it wasn't good.

When he spoke his tone was harsh. "You need to tell her what you've done."

"What?" Lana heard her own shaky voice.

Her father was beyond patient with her mother's antics, so if he was angry, she must have done something terrible.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry." Her father's sympathy was not a good sign.

"Sorry for what?" Will ambled in half asleep.

Nora Drake sighed with a humph. "I've invited Peggy and Todd to stay."

"You've what?" Lana yelled so loud all of Plover Way could probably hear her.

"They miss our little vacations and it's been over two years. It's time to let bygones be bygones."

"How long are they going to be here?" Lana suddenly felt sick.

"Just until Wednesday."

Will looked at her with his eyes bugging out of his head. "Count me out. I'm talking to Ryan to see if I can stay with him."

Nora began to speak, but her husband stopped her by putting pressure on her shoulder.

Lana said, "I'm not staying here either. I'll crash across the street or next door."

Just as she said the words she remembered it was one of the weeks Bethany rented out her cottage. She also knew Mari had family too. Could she crash across the street? She wondered who else she could impose on.

"It's just two nights We'll all have dinner tonight." Her mother sounded nonchalant about the situation.

"All?" Lana gulped.

"Well yes, I think Erik is coming."

"What?" Lana thought she heard every gull take flight.

"He's not staying because he lives close enough, but Poland is too far."

Her ex-in-laws lived in the small town of Poland, home to the springs where the bottled water originated. Erik lived and worked in Portland - in her apartment.

"He better not be bringing anyone with him!"

"No, Peggy said he dumped last girl. He's lost after his heart was broken."

"His... heart was broken!" Lana exclaimed empathizing the 'his'.

"Nora! Enough!" Will had lost pstience with his wife. "We can't undo what you've done. They are already on their way."

"Yes, they are," Nora looked at her watch. "Lana help me get Will's bed ready. I won't put them in your room since you have everything you own in there."

"If you want me to get the room ready for company then you can pay me. I don't provide my services for free." She announced indignantly.

Nora humphed, but didn't reply.

Will said, "I'm going to work."

"Will, your father will be up later for lobsters. Pick him some good ones... no missing claws."

Lana snapped. "Don't get one for me. I'm not eating with you."

Will called out as he was walking out the door. "Me either."

As Lana went into her room, she heard her mother saying something about ungrateful children. She'd give her ungrateful!

After changing into her swimsuit, she packed a bag with sunscreen, her book, her phone charger, a change of clothes and two beach towels, one for the pool and another for the beach. She picked up her beach chair and walked across the street. She debated walking around back like she normally did, but she never swam in the morning. Instead, she wiped the tears from her eyes and knocked on the door.

Why did Adam have to leave early? She could use some moral support.

Ryan appeared at the door and gave her a questioning look as he moved aside to let her in.

"You know I'm out of tequila. What did Adam do?"

She could tell his first line was an attempt to be funny, but the second he was serious. Why did he assume it was Adam?

"Not Adam, Nora!" She spat.

"Sit down and tell Uncle Ryan all about it."

She smiled, because she knew he was embracing his role as an uncle.

Lana covered her face with her hands and shook her head. When she finally turned her head, he was sitting next to her looking at her with an expression that vacillate between concerned and amused.

She let out a long sighed. "She is having house guests for the next few days."

"And..."

"Will is planning to stay here, because he is losing his room and he doesn't want to be over there with my ex-in-laws."

"Your what!" Ryan exclaimed in clear disbelief.

"Yes, my mother has invited them to stay and you know who else will show up."

"Did you get along with them? Your in-laws?"

"Yeah, until I divorced their precious, perfect son. 'I should have been more forgiving'." Lana used a mocking voice for the later while making quotes signs with two fingers on each hand.

"What is wrong with your parents? My mother loves us, but if Jack hurt Maddie, she would probably pull his ear off."

Lana laughed despite her situation. Kelly Harris was one of those mothers who knew her sons weren't perfect and wasn't afraid to let them know when they screwed up. She tried her luck.

"What was the last thing you did to feel the wrath of Kelly?"

Ryan laughed. "The wrath of Kelly, I like that. Probably my behavior after the accident. I'm not proud of it, but I'm trying to make up for it now."

"That's not why you're here though."

Ryan shook his head. "Nice try Drake, but it ain't happening. I won't tell you."

"Fine, but you're stuck with me. I'm avoiding my cottage as much as possible."

"So I'm the one with the unwanted house guests."

Lana's felt the fist in her belly again and the tears forming.

"I'm kidding. Oh God, please don't cry. Are you hungry? Do you want lunch?"

It surprised Lana to see it was noon already. She shook her head thinking she could go grab something up the street.

"You're eating. I have plenty of food. Come on."

She followed Ryan into the kitchen and he took out deli meat, rolls, a cucumber and hummus. He held up the cucumber. "If this can't make you smile, then there's no hope for you."

Lana laughed. "Why is it you can always make me laugh? Thank goodness you're not the asshole who made Jessie cry."

They each made a sandwich and Ryan grabbed a bag of chips and two beers. "Come out on the deck. After we eat you can spend the afternoon in your tube. Although you never know who might crash your peace and quiet."

Lana considered calling Adam, but then she remembered she never told him she had been married. When he heard about her ex, he acted jealous and she decided it was best to not mention Erik again. Eventually, if they got more serious, she would have to be honest with him. Lies weren't good for any relationship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
78.5K 3.2K 30
Cadence leaves an abusive boyfriend after years of abuse. She wants to find love, true love, can't live without you love! Can she make it through the...
416 64 32
8 friends go to Sunrise cove for there last summer before college, but Summer Black has one problem, she doesn't have the money she needs to cover th...
98.5K 1.6K 34
Ever since the summer her parents passed away, every summer has been a terrible one for seventeen year old, Andy Neilsen. So the summer she goes to h...