Operation: Stay Alive

By alyssa4everr

Nicole Evers' parents unexpectedly leave for a "business trip" leaving Nicole all alone, but her parents deci... More

Welcome
♦ Chapter 1 || Their 'Business' Trip ♦
♦ Chapter 2 || I'm So Sorry ♦
♦️ Chapter 3 || Who doesn't like Cake♦️
♦️ Chapter 4 || I Hate Mondays ♦️
♦️ Chapter 5 || Snow Day ♦️
♦️ Chapter 6 || Drunk Jake ♦️
♦️ Chapter 7 || Teddy is Mine ♦️
♦️ Chapter 8 || It's a small party ♦️
♦️ Chapter 9 || Die Trying ♦️
♦️ Chapter 10 || Now We're Even ♦️
♦️ Chapter 11 || Stay ♦️
♦️ Chapter 12 || Because I Stumbled Into You ♦️
♦️ Chapter 13 || Don't Swear ♦️
♦️ Chapter 14 || The Bucket ♦️
♦️ Chapter 15 || You wouldn't even hurt a fly ♦️
♦️ Chapter 16 || I couldn't even dress a barbie doll ♦️
♦️ Chapter 17 || You're such a child ♦️
♦️ Chapter 18 || Thank You ♦️
♦️ Chapter 19 || The Car Won't bite. But if you don't get in soon, I might ♦️
♦️ Chapter 20 || Don't tell me the price. I might not want to buy it then ♦️
♦️ Chapter 21 || Beginners Luck ♦️
♦️ Chapter 22 || Merry Christmas ♦️
♦️ Chapter 23 || Cornered ♦️
♦️ Chapter 24 || It's My Fault ♦️
♦️ Chapter 25 || Best Day Ever ♦️
♦️ Chapter 26 || Despacito ♦️
♦️ Chapter 27 || It Was You♦️
♦️ Chapter 28 || Movie Night ♦️
♦️ Chapter 29 || But It's Winter♦️
♦️Chapter 30 || Secrets ♦️
♦️ Chapter 31 || I Half Lied ♦️
♦️ Chapter 32 || Do You Have Any Queens ♦️
♦️ Chapter 33 || Go get 'em big boy ♦️
♦️ Chapter 34 || It's Never Too Cold For Ice Cream ♦️
♦️ Chapter 35 || That's My Girl ♦️
♦️ Chapter 36 || You Were Made to be Mine ♦️
♦️ Chapter 38 || No Peeking ♦️
♦️ Chapter 39 || Wait Whatttttt? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 40 || Let's Do It♦️
♦️ Chapter 41 || Ready ♦️
♦️ Chapter 42 || Whipped ♦️
♦️ Chapter 43 || Promise ♦️
♦️ Chapter 44 || TLC ♦️
♦️ Chapter 45 || So This is What My Life Has Become? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 46 || Act Casual ♦️
♦️ Chapter 47 || Who? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 48 || Why? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 49 || What Are You Going to Do? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 50 || Die Trying ♦️
♦️ Chapter 51 || Home ♦️
♦️ Chapter 52 || Stronger ♦️
Thank You

♦️ Chapter 37 || Listen ♦️

10.8K 355 255
By alyssa4everr

Chapter 37 || Listen
🔹🔹🔹🔹
* * Nicole's POV * *

"Look who decided to show up today," Ashley snorts, "After that sinful dress you were wearing, I thought you'd be hiding your face in shame.

"The dress wasn't sinful, it was how you looked in it," Bridget says looking me up and down, pursing her lips ever so slight;y.

"Do you two have something better to be doing with your time?" I question.

"So, you're admitting you're a waste of our time?" Ashley snorts with a laugh.

I groan as I walk to my locker, "I mean..."

"You mean to admit that you're a worthless piece of junk that was accidentally spawned onto this planet out of sheer greed from your parents?" Bridget spits out with a hiss.

I stop my tracks as if a knife was just shoved into my body.

I took a deep breath before turning to face her.

Bridget had a smug look on her face, I wanted nothing more than to beat it right off her face.

"You want to hit me, don't you?" Bridget asks smugly, knowing exactly what I'm thinking, "I was your friend, your best friend and betrayed you. You hate me," Bridget antagonizes.

I take a deep breath, control yourself.

"I don't hate you," I calmly say and walk away.

I hear Bridget grunt, "Come back and fight me, you wimp!"

I ignore her and continue walking. I spot Jake at the end of the hall and when he notices me he gestures for me to come over, but he knew I was walking over to him anyway.

I spot Alice and wave to her, she waves back.

"You b!tch!" I hear Bridget shout and all of a sudden I was knocked to the ground.

I let out a loud grunt as my face hits the floor with a loud thud.

Jake and Alice notice Bridget on top of me and instantly makes their way over to me.

"Get off of me!" I shout at Bridget as she sits on my back pushing my head into the cold floor and pulling my hair like a five year while yelling and screaming hate towards me. 

Seconds later Jake and Alice pry Bridget off of me.

I stay on the ground letting my mind and vision focus.

I take a deep breath before turning myself over and pulling myself to sit up tall.

Alice holds Bridget back but she spits down at me while Jake rushes down to help me sit steady.

"Why?" I question as I wipe off her spit.

"Because I hate you." She says.

I heard a huff of anger come from next to me and before I could stop him, Jake was up. He wound his arm back ready to punch Bridget right in the face when Principle HillWater shouts, "What is going on here?"

Jake grunts as he lets his hand down, not even trying to hide the fact that he almost punched the daylight out of her.

Bridget looked absolutely mortified for a split second until she started playing the victim, "Principle HillWater. Thank goodness! I was minding my own business when they ganged up on me!"

Principle HillWater glares, "Do you think I'm an idiot? Lying will not be tolerated in my school and neither will fight or bullying. All of you to my office now."

I stand up and shuffle to her office with Jake, Alice, Bridget, and Ashley. Principle HillWater stayed behind to grab a few other students and asked them what happened. When returns she pulls us into her office one at a time.

My hands and legs were shaking. I had never been to the principles office before, never. I knew I wasn't in trouble but still, what was going to happen?

My heart was beating a mile a minute when Jake noticed me and wrapped his hand around mine, interlocking our fingers, "You're fine. You did nothing wrong. She is just going to ask you what happened."

I let out a breath I hadn't even known I was holding, hearing Jake say that seemed to calm my nerves.

Bridget leaves her office followed by Ashley, they both glare at me with a scowl.

"This isn't over," Ashley hisses before strutting away in her high heels.

Alice goes in next, then Jake. Of course, I'd be last.

Alice sits next to me while Jake goes in, "At my old school I used to be sent to the principles office almost every other day. It's not that bad," Alice tries to cheer me up.

"What did you do?" I ask softly, trying to take my mind off the situation at hand.

She laughed, "I punched people who bullied others. Kind of ironic if you think about it."

"What is?"

"That we are friends," she smiles, "It's like I was destined to be your best friend."

I smiled back thinking about how I met her and how it was the most perfect time, right when Bridget changed.

"Awe, come here," She says as she pulls me into a hug.

"Thanks for everything," I smile as I pull away from her hug.

She shrugs, "Soon you'll be fighting your own battles and I'll just be the backup."

We both laugh and Alice does a great job at keeping me distracted until I hear the door squeak open and Jake's footsteps come toward me.

"You're up," He tries to lighten the mood.

I take a huge deep breath before standing up.

"Remember you did nothing wrong," Jake says softly.

Alice outs her hands on her hip, "You were the one who tried to walk away."

I nod my head and enter the Principle's office closing the door behind me with a soft squeak.

"Nicole, please sit," Principle HillWater's voice fills the room as she gestures to a chair in front of her desk.

I do as she says and nervously sit down, fiddling with the end of my sweater in the process.

She watches me closely as she slowly says, "I understand you've been getting bullied, Nicole."

I take a deep breath before realizing this is going to make Ashley and Bridget even more mad at me.

Oh no, Oh no, Oh no

I can feel myself on the verge of hyperventilating.

"This is a safe place. I want you to know that I am here to help you."

I nod.

"Can you tell me what happened in the hallway from your point of view?" 

I nod and proceed to tell her everything that happened in the hallway. How they'd been telling me I was worthless. How I'd try to walk away when Bridget jumped on me 

She nods, "Is this the first time?"

I shook my head no.

She asks me a few more questions before we started talking about how school is going for me and if I had found a dress for the winter formal since she had known Jake had asked me to go with him.

"I want you to know that if you ever need anything, you can always come to me. In fact, please do come to me."

I smile and nod my head, "Thank you."

She smiles and nods her head before I open her squeaky office door and leave.

"There's my superstar," Alice shouts, "You did it your alive!"

I awkwardly laugh, "Yup."

"Told you-you weren't in trouble," Alice pats my back.

Jake stands across from me with a smile, "You've now had your first visit to the Principle's office. We can cross that off your bucket list now."

I try to laugh. I wanted to laugh but I didn't.

I stared at Jake but my eyes couldn't focus like we were on a boat in the middle of the ocean swaying back and forth.

"I don't feel so good," I say in a whisper before leaning into the nearest trashcan and hurling the contents of my stomach into it.

Alice pulls my hair back as Jake tries to calm me. 

I hate throwing up.

When I feel better I stand up but wobble on the way there.

"We need to get you to the nurse," Jake said seriously in a worried tone.

I shake my head and plea, "No- I'm fine."

Jake gives me a sad look knowing I'm lying.

"I'm with Jake on this one, you look off. At least let her check to make sure you don't have a concussion," Alice says in the same tone as Jake.

I sigh knowing they are right, "I don't have a concussion," I state as I walk towards the nurse's office but nearly fall after two steps.

Jake scoops me up in his arms, 'You're probably right but just for precautions, and cause I care about you, I'm taking you."

Alice walks alongside Jake as we near the nurse's office. I probably looked so pathetic, being carried to the nurse's office in the middle of the school.

Jake lies me on one of the nurse's bed and sits on the bed next to me, Alice sits beside him.

The nurse comes over to us, asks what happens and does her little routine on checking me for a concussion or any other damage or illness.

She smiles after she pulls her little light away from my eyes, "I'm thankful to say that you do not have a concussion. I'd say you're just fatigued and stressed which caused you to throw up. You look dehydrated which would cause your dizziness and the fatigue and stress would make it worse. For the rest of the day, you should relax and get some rest," she stands up, grabs a bottle of water, "and drink one of these, try for every hour."

I nod as I take the bottle from her hands and take a sip, "I feel much better. Thank you. I should get back to class."

I try to stand up but she gently pulls me back, "No class for you. You need to rest. Going to class won't help you're the situation. Your mind and body are in overload right now, doing anything else may cause your symptoms to worse."

I nod my head.

"I will call your Mom and tell her to pick you up," She proceeds.

"Um, actually Mom is in England right now," I say sadly.

She opens her book, "ah yes it's right here. I will call Mrs. Vance right now," and walks into her office to do so.

I close my eyes for a moment and when I open them Jake is staring at me with a devilish grin as if he has done something wrong that he is proud of.

"What?" I question.

"You're right you're fine," He crosses his arms.

I shrug, "But it's good to take precautions."

Jake sends a wink my way with a thousand-watt smile.

"Oh for the love of god can you two kiss already!" Alice shouts.

"Don't tell me what to do. I'll kiss her when I want to," He grins again, "And right now I want to kiss her."

I laugh as a blush seeps into my cheeks.

Jake gets up and swiftly leans in for a kiss.

His lips gently rest on mine for a moment.

He pulls away right as the nurse reenters.

"Oh, my dear! You're red as a tomato, let me check your temperature again," she says as she pulls out her thermometer and places it under my tongue.

Over her shoulder, I head Alice trying so hard not to laugh but miserably failing and Jake sitting there with a smug look fulling knowing he was the cause of my blush.

"Still 99.1," She says as she puts the thermometer away, "Either way Mrs. Vance is on her way to pick you up.

I nod as she continues talking, "Now you two better get back to class. I will give you late passes so no need to worry about that."

Jake rolls his eyes and under his breath says, "Like I care."

I put my hand over my mouth and try my best to break out into laughter. 

She hands them each a little sheet of paper and sends them on there way.

"Feel better Nicole!" Alice shouts as she is shoved out of the doorway.

"See ya soon," Jake winks at me and just before he leaves he throws the sheet of paper in the trash as a crinkled ball.

"Bye," I wave back as the nurse shuts the door.

"Why don't you rest. Mrs. Vance will be here shortly," She says softly as she brings the head of the bed down for me to rest, "And make sure to drink your water."

I nod as I take a sip of water before lying down.

Once she makes sure I'm all set she goes into her office.

I close my eyes and rest, I let my mind and all my thoughts drift away.

It wasn't long till Jill showed up and of course, worrying frantically.

We get in the car and Jill drives home while asking me what happened and if I was okay.

I explained her the whole situation and told her I was fine.

"If you ever need anything you can always come to me," Jill smiles warmly as she parks the car in the driveway.

"Thank you," I say as she gives me a hug.

We enter the house and she makes sure to tell me to drink lots of water and rest.

I nod as I walk to my room.

I throw my backpack and sweater onto my bed, change out of my clothes and hop into the shower.

I let the hot water run down my body as I think about today.

I think I handled Bridget and Ashley pretty good today... if you take away when she was hitting me like a five-year-old girl who took her toy.

I controlled myself and didn't let her get to me.

Why she hates me I have no idea, but I'm sorry for her. I wish I could have helped her instead of causing her to go to her current state. If only I knew what happened maybe I could make things right between us and as a bonus maybe do the same with Ashley!

I smiled with determination as I hope out of the shower and dry off. I shove on some comfy clothes and wrap my hair up in the towel before sitting on my bed.

I look at the time and was a little bit afternoon.

Jake won't be back for a bit so I might as well get some rest.

The second I shut my eyes my stomach growls and I glare at the ceiling.

Why must I be hungry now? I just got comfy.

I roll out of bed with a groan and shuffle to the kitchen.

I open the cabinet and I eyeball a can of chicken noodle soup. I grab the can and dump it into a pot.

I sigh as it takes forever to heat up.

Then out of nowhere, two arms wrap around me. Instinctively I elbow whoever it is right in the gut. 

"Hey, easy killer!" The guy says as he lets go of me.

My eyes widen as I turn around, "Jake I'm so sorry!"

He just laughs, "Nice to know your defense is kicking in now."

"Jake I- Wait what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?" I put my hands on my hips and ask.

He rolls his eyes, "Did you not get my hint earlier?"

I think about it for a second, "Well now I realize it yes, but before I thought you were talking about the END OF SCHOOL."

He teases, "Like I'd stay a whole day."

"You're impossible," I laugh.

He sends a wink my way before looking at the towel on my head, "Nice look."

"Shut up."

"No really it's a nice look on you."

I roll my eyes and go back to my soup.

"No no. You need to relax. I'll handle the soup. You sit on the couch and drink your water."

I groan, "Okay mom."

"Technically it's dad."

"Shut up," I say as I plop down on the couch while chugging my water. I throw the towel off my head and just sit there waiting for a bit.

Silence fills the air and I immediately feel guilty, so I get up and walk towards Jake.

I wrap my arms around Jake and rest my head against his back while saying "Sorry."

He turns around and rests his finger under my chin and lifts my head so I looking at his face, "You know I'm messing with you right?"

I say nothing and just look him in the eyes.

He looks back down at me with soft eyes.

"Is my soup ready yet?"

He pushes me away with a laugh, "One minute"

I turn, sit at the table and wait patiently.

"Voila," He says as he presents the soup.

"Thank you," I laugh.

I began eating the soup while Jake makes himself a sandwich.

He soon rejoins me and we sit eating our food while talking about the most random stuff ever.

"I don't think I can eat another bite," I laugh as Jake eats the last bit of his sandwich.

"Don't force yourself," he says with his mouth full of food.

"Chew!" I say as I throw my spoon at him which he swats away like a volleyball.

He mocks me as he finishes chewing and swallows his sandwich.

"Happy?"

I nod, "Very."

We both stand up, I try to start doing the dishes but Jake insists on me not doing anything.

Jake puts all the dishes in the dishwasher and once he finishes tidying up we both turn and walk out of the kitchen.

I casually follow two steps behind him into his room.

Jake sits on the bed and I follow suit.

The second I sit down my phone rings and with wide eyes I open it.

"Hi, Mom!" I cheer, "I miss you how are-"

My words were cut off with my mom screaming with rage, "Nicole! What are you doing getting into a fight?" She yells into the phone, "I just got a phone call from the school that you were in the fight!"

"Mom I-"

"Have I taught you nothing?!"

"But-"

"No buts. When I come back you are in big trouble young lady! I can't believe you! This is unacceptable."

"Listen-"

"I will not tolerate this kind of behavior. I don't understand you."

"Mom!" I shout into the phone, "Let me explain!"

I hear her huff, "There is nothing to explain! Goodbye."

The line goes dead and I toss my phone down next to me on the bed.

My blood was boiling at the fact that she wasn't listening to me and not giving me a chance to explain.

I clenched my hands into fists, I wasn't angry or mad. I wasn't sad either. I wasn't quite sure what I was feeling.

How could she just not ask me what happened?!

I groan.

A second later I hear Jake on the phone trying to control his anger.

I turn my head to see Jake holding my phone and pacing quickly back and forth.

"Hi yes, Mrs. Evers? No this is not Nicole," he furrows his eyebrows and shakes his hands as if to say 'do I sound like Nicole' "This is Jake. Yeah, your daughter was the victim in the fighter and set to the nurse - thanks for asking. If you even bothered to hear her side you would know that she even walked away from her ex-best friend and a group of bullies who like to... well BULLY her! Next time why don't you ask your daughter what happened. Thanks. Bye."

Jake clicks my phone off and tosses it on the bed.

We both just stare at each other before breaking out into laughter and I'm not 100% sure why.

Moments later my phone rings again and all laughter dies.

I grab my phone - a little more aggressively than usual - and look to see who would be calling. 

"Hey Dad," I say into the phone.

"Nicole? Are you okay? I heard what happened."

I let out a sigh, "Did Mom tell you?"

"What No? I'm not with your mother. I was in a meeting when I got a call from your school that you were in a fight and the nurse sent home." My dad says in worried tones, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Dad. The nurse just said I need to rest and drink water."

He sighs in relief, "Thank god. What happened?"

I took a deep breath and explained to him everything that happened and he listens to every word I say responding a few times when I pause to take a breath.

"Awe honey. I'm sorry. I wish I was there for you. I'll be home before you know it!" He says warmly.

"It's okay Dad. Miss you."

"I miss you more."

"Go get some rest, you sound exhausted."

"I will."

"Love you, honey."

"Love you, Dad. Bye."

"Bye."

We both hang up our phone and I lie down on the bed next to Jake who is now also lying down.

I sigh as I rest my head on Jake and close my eyes.

I hear Jake say "Don't let your Mom get to you" but before I could respond I was already fast asleep.

• • •

Today's my birthday!! Woohooo!!

Next chapter coming soon! I will update!!!

Any questions???

Don't be a silent reader 🌸

*Vote and Comment*

Alyssa Rose

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

471K 24.4K 55
He's the guy moms warn their daughters about. Bold, outspoken, and self-confident, Brian O'Brien returns to his hometown only to discover some things...
380K 8.7K 42
Ava moved from a small town in Minnesota to a busy town in California. Soon after her move, she meets the towns "Bad Boy." Will she be able to resist...
113 5 10
Justin Cameron is a good kid, when he lands in detention he meets Jacob Harris. Jacob is the opposite of him, he's rebellious and is known as the sch...
3.6K 148 23
Zoey Holland, average teen? Kinda, she's an out going girl, a trouble maker. But she also gets her work done and gets 90's, she's super smart, but al...