The Betrayal

By Z0EYYY

Sequel to The betrothed. Read the prequel before the sequel. I won't add a description yet because it will ru... More

New beginnings.
Time to let go?
Rave.
Personal Hell?
Memories..
Apologize
Welcome back.
The Doctor.
The breakfast.
The Dance Part 1
Confusion
History Lesson?
David's POV
Enlightening.
Balance of Power?
Wisdom
Problems
New Addition?
Got a secret?
Humble.
Teaser
Division
The Forest
Happy Birthday to me!- David's POV
You'll be the death of me..
All these years..
Two weeks later
Goodbye...
And so it begins
The Meeting
The Race
Here comes the bride..
Here comes the bride.. (Part 2)
It's a topsy turvy world
The Truth.
The Betrayal
The transition
The Text.
Just a kiss goodbye
The War.
The Aftermath
What have I done?
Calm.

Time

85 3 3
By Z0EYYY

Hello my lovelies, I know it's been long. I'm trying to finish what I've started.. just haven't been able to find time. Thank you for all the messages and reviews I've received that have inspired me to continue.

Shout out to all the Chicago people! What a beautiful city we live in!

Hope you all enjoy.

Ps- it's been so long I feel like I've forgotten how I did everything! Excuse any mistakes! :)

Disclaimer: I own all the characters and the storyline, it's 100% mine and original.

Time

I don't know how much time passed but eventually we lay in each other's arms relishing how we could touch without causing pain.

It seemed fitting that I could feel David's emotions now which I couldn't feel before my transition because I couldn't handle them and now they seemed to be the only thing allowing me to remain calm and in control. The only thing that kept me grounded. The comical matter was that my fate might very well rest in the hands of a man who wasn't exactly known for emotional stability.

He had told me not to confide in anyone about this because no one should know anything that could make me vulnerable. But he has always been and always will be my anchor; my weakness.

We also discussed that my powers must have been to protect myself. We recalled all the times I had been stuck in situations that had taken me my surprise. Where vampires grabbed me in the streets and my reaction to them, when I witnessed innocent women dying in the club's bathroom and all the other incidents I had been through, especially when I was kidnapped in a revenge plot against David. My powers didn't allow anyone to ever touch me again without my consent. But we still had to figure out how I had stopped the war.

What kind of power was that? It seemed I could inflict pain on a vast number of people at the same time and the distance didn't matter. But I was yet to understand and comprehend how I was able to do it.
Both these powers were so rare that we didn't know anyone who possessed these abilities who would be able to help me harness control over my own superpower along with the harrowing thought; what exactly was I capable of?

Until we know, that question will torment me, but at least I have an eternity to find out. Despite this, it really made me one of the strongest Vampires in history to ever walk this earth. And if I really thought about it, it also made me the most unstable ruler there ever could be.

However, we both were concerned about the emotional dimension of things. Does David have to monitor my behavior 24/7? Does he always have to be around then?

It felt like my brain was working faster than ever and before I knew it I got distracted by the patterns David was drawing on my back.

I pushed myself up to give him a kiss only to be interrupted by a knock.

David hissed in pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said realizing that since we both got annoyed by the knock David's calmness was replaced with anger and annoyance which had a direct effect on me.

I chuckled. "My fate is in the hands of a person who is possibly more unstable in controlling his own emotions than anyone I know." I said remembering all the times he had lost control or the times his mood has fluctuated leaving me utterly confused but it made me fall madly in love with him.

He gave me a dashing smile and got up hurriedly, not wanting anyone to know what was going on between us. He went into my bathroom to hide.

"Come in." I said to the person who knocked on my door.

"My Queen, forgive me for interrupting, but the chancellor was wondering if you'd meet him to discuss something."

"Discuss what?" I asked Martha.

"It's not my place my Queen but since you are asking it has something to do with scheduling the inauguration ball. To introduce you to your people if you are ready for it."

Before I could decline I heard David in my mind. 'It's important and you must do it as soon as possible. People are scared and don't understand what's happening. They need to know you are stable.'

"Alright." I told her. "Let's do the ball as soon as we can. I am not going to go to the chancellor. Tell him to call my phone if he can't wait for an official meeting in the throne room and next time he thinks about summoning me he better be ready to hand me his head on a platter. Royal protocol must be observed under all circumstances. You are dismissed. Thank you, Martha."

"My Queen" She bowed and left.

When she was gone, David came out. "The chancellor has always been a grumpy rude son of a b- he just is annoying and thinks he knows it all and doesn't need to respect anyone because knowledge is power. No doubt about that. But that old fool doesn't realize that real power is power. And knowledge is very helpful to powerful people who can do something about situations. It's supplementary to each other and nothing if it's exclusive. You dealt with this well. You just need to remain this way for people to start respecting your authority and to not challenge it. Everyone needs to be put in place if they step out of line, especially in the beginning."

I understood.

David could be useful in this dynamic shift of power because he had been groomed for centuries for the position that I now held. Strategically he was very important to me. But most importantly, he was the only thing standing between me and the destruction of mankind and vampires alike.

I was also glad about the many times I had spent in the library being groomed to be a queen when we were engaged. That knowledge was very useful now.

It felt as if time stood still but moved at the same time. The concept of time had changed ever since I had changed amongst other things. It seemed like an insignificant aspect of life.

We were again interrupted by a knock which made us realize that the official day should start with the new Queen of the empire. I couldn't stay hidden forever with the man I loved. Interesting thought for a person who couldn't feel anything.... I loved him...

My mind hopped to pondering about how life had changed for everyone, for David; no longer a crown prince, no longer an heir to the throne that he spent his entire life preparing for. For the people; their beloved Royal family replaced by another, the Prince they had spent their entire lives looking forward to no longer an heir. Would they accept the change? For the Royal family; dethroned; the truth finally revealed.

Did everyone know the deep-rooted problems between the families? How my grandfather had taken his revenge from David's family. How he had punished the son for the sins of his father?
What would happen if they did know? Would they accept my rule if they knew what had happened? Or would they submit to me because I was the rightful heir? Would they punish me for the sins of my grandfather?

Would they still accept me over their beloved David? Will David bend the knee or will he stand for what he believes is his? Will he be able to watch me take what he believed was his all along? What he spend his whole life preparing for? Question after question made my head spin.

For a moment I paused to think that I was wrong... Didn't this all rightfully belong to me? David's family had taken away my true birthright and how we had to obey the rule of some other family? I had been through so much, first the unexpected marriage proposal, sure it turned out great at first but how could I forget the hardships and suffering I endured because of it? How miserable it made me in the end? The life altering circumstances I had been through?

I looked at David, he put me through so much pain this past year. Watching him with another... it broke my heart. Can forgiveness really be this easily handed out?

I was shocked at my train of thought. Was I really thinking like this about the man who loves me? Who did whatever he could to protect me? Who was giving everything up to stand by my side, to guide me, to protect me? Had I really changed that much? Why was I becoming such a bitter human- wait, I'm no longer human...

I saw David hide behind my closet door and mouthed that I should tell the servant to enter the room.

'I'm getting a little sick of this hide and seek game we seem to be playing.' I thought to him.

He simply winked at me before disappearing. 

I realized that the person who knocked on my door must have been waiting for an answer, but I also realized that time had not moved much and the interchange between me and David had taken mere seconds. I also realized that I could sense who was at the door. Seemed like a servant; maybe Sarah.

"Come in." I said, even my voice sounded more authoritative than I had meant it to sound.

"My Queen." She came in and bowed deeply and I was right, it was Sarah. My senses seemed quite sharp.

I nodded my head to show I had seen her bow and that she could stand back up.

"I have been asked to get you ready to come down for breakfast. Your first breakfast as Queen." Her voice laced with excitement, her eyes twinkling from enthusiasm.

I nodded.

'I'll just sneak out and come back later.' He projected to me.

'I love you!' I interjected to him before he could leave and my heart was filled with so much love that I knew I had gotten my I love you too response. Had I said this out of habit or were my feelings coming back?

Before Sarah could sense anything, he sped out of my room.

The moment he left I felt so empty. Is this how vampires felt? So... dead from the inside? Then how did David love me so much? Why couldn't I feel anything? If this was normal it would be so depressing to be going through life without caring. Having all the time in the world yet not living to the fullest. Is that the price of eternity? The price of being immortal?

I didn't have to do much except wait for Sarah to do everything.

She put me in a gorgeous off-shoulder royal blue dress that seemed to fit my torso flawlessly and flowed on the ground in smooth waves reminding me of the ocean. My collar bones prominently on display.

"This dress is very ironic." I stated.

"How so my Queen?" she asked while setting my hair in a Halo bun and placing a heavy crown on my head. It felt like it kept becoming heavier by the second, heavy with the weight of responsibility.

"It looks like it represents the ocean, calm but deadly, like it's one swift movement away from destroying mankind."

She stayed silent as if not knowing how to respond. After a moment she smiled and said, "We trust you. All you must do now is show some people that you've got a handle on things. They are just scared of what they do not comprehend. You saved us all from the war, that is all that matters."

For a moment it felt like that's all I wanted to hear; reassurance.

"I had a caretaker who practically raised me. Her name is also Sara, I wonder where she must be.."

"Oh my Queen, you don't know..."

I had a bad feeling "What is it?"

"She was one of the martyrs of war.. she was one of the first to volunteer to defend your area.. to protect you.. and she fought most gallantly."

I wish she was here to see she raised a Queen.

I wish I had gotten the chance to say goodbye.

I vowed there and then to try my best to be the best damned Queen this kingdom has ever seen. For Sara.

***

I walked downstairs once I was ready.

I had assigned guards walking next to me, some in front of me, some behind me and some beside me. I felt like a celebrity but after all I was the Queen and there were protocols to follow.

I wonder if I could ask David how he got rid of his guards, were they always lurking around, and I hadn't noticed them? Or had he managed to get rid of them?

I could see how fascinating it was in the start when everything is new and shiny but how annoying it could possibly get overtime.

I made it to breakfast, no one was seated but of course that wouldn't be allowed without the Queen being present. There were also some media personnel present, but I suppose I expected that.

The table looked lavish! It had every breakfast item you could think of.

One by one I was greeted by everyone and eventually after what seemed like a never-ending hour we all made it to the table.

Before everyone could begin, I paused and ordered the servants lined up to serve. "Take all this food away and distribute it to our human population waiting outside these castle doors to celebrate, there is no need for such a lavish breakfast, lunch or dinner when all we require is blood as sustenance. There will be no food wasted that could benefit a potential human. After all, food is all they have to survive."

It shocked most of the vampires there, but no one dared to contradict my order.

'Are you sure you want to start your first day in office in such a controversial manner?' David projected to me.

'I am certain. I will not sit here and see all this food wasted on Vampires that could be consumed elsewhere by a hungry human and save a life.'

He shook his head with a smile in his thought. 'You sure are something.'

'I was once human.'

There was one however, who protested. Lord Canning.

"This is outrageous, if no one will speak up then I must. Why would you want to give away these little luxuries we have to filthy humans? Every new law involves these filths, no harming them, no forcing them, no taking blood from them without consent! Their only one purpose is to serve us! They should be enslaved and bred for our convenience.  We are the superior kind and must be treated that way. This has never happened before in this kingdom, it is just insulting to take away food placed in front of us, this could have been decided before or at least after this gathering and as protest my wife and I would like to be excused from breakfast. Whoever agrees can follow me out."

I replied calmly, pronouncing every word carefully and slowly making it more daunting for the receiver. "As you wish, Lord Canning, but remember these so called filthy humans are the reason you are alive and well enough to speak, breathe and protest, no food, no humans, no vampires. Tsk tsk tsk. You do as you will, Lord Canning, but anyone who leaves this room, including you, will be held in contempt and treason for disobeying a direct order; this is not a democracy, I am not taking a vote. You must sit, smile and do as I very well please you to do. I am not here to serve at your pleasure, quite literally you are in this very room to serve me; your Queen."

I could see the goosebumps forming on his skin. He did exactly that; sit, smile and grabbed the glass full of warm blood in front of him. "To the Queen." He raised his glass.

Everyone followed him "Hear hear."

I picked my glass up with them and brought the red liquid towards my mouth.

The familiar pain of my fangs elongating from my jaws made me want to wince, but I couldn't do that, for no weakness should be displayed in front of these blood hounds.

'Well done my love' a whisper in my head spoke.

I smiled and sipped from my gold chalice.

'I feel like I was born for this.' I replied. It felt so easy.

'You were.' I felt a pang of hurt.

'What happened?'

'It's... nothing.'

The rest of the breakfast and day went by with no problems. I learned that it wasn't all fun and games being the Queen, it was actual work. I had to sit for hours at end in the throne room meeting and greeting people, going through issues with the council, rules, plans, strategy, you name it I had to do it. Whereas my body seemed to be buzzing with energy that I just wanted to get rid of.

With just being transformed I had the itch, the itch to move, the itch to feed, how could one possibly sit this still?

I had to learn everything I had missed out on and be trained to be a Queen. Even though it was in my blood I had to learn the rules, protocols and everything in between that others had years to master. I had to learn the ropes in mere days.

Even though I was a vampire who needed no sleep, I was exhausted and really wanted to take a nap or rest or just run! How fun would that be compared to sitting here.

I even had to learn how to be more human as to not freak people out. Can you believe that's a thing I had to learn too? How to be more human? To consciously blink or to act more natural, unless I wanted to freak people out by being eerie.

I even got a sneak peek at the newspaper coming out tomorrow titled; A Queen That Cares. Quite literally I couldn't care, with what, being emotionally unavailable and all that, (I smiled at my own joke) but it was at least a step in the right direction. It was all about me creating an image for the people to love and follow.

Another one said; A Controversial Queen: What Will Her Rule Look Like?

Another said; Will This Queen be Loved or Feared?

Another said; What Will This Queen be like Without a King?

I knew that no female had ever ruled the kingdom before me and may be a cause of concern for some people, but I was going to remain positive. I had clear goals, I was nothing if not compassionate. Or maybe I am nothing anymore considering that I had lost my ability to feel.

By the time I was allowed to leave for my chambers I was exhausted.

I just wanted to take a nap, but I couldn't let go of this nagging feeling.

I had to see David.

With my super speed and senses, I found him sitting outside near the stables with a bottle of scotch in his hand.

"Hi there handsome.."

He looked up like he wasn't expecting any company "Hello gorgeous." He slurred suggesting that he had been drinking for a while now for it to affect his speech.

"Is everything okay?" I asked concerned.

"Why wouldn't it be my love?"

I sat next to him and leaned into him while he wrapped his arms around me.
I sat up straight suddenly.

"What happened?" he asked surprised by my sudden movement.

"It just dawned on me that I didn't hurt you when I leaned into you and touched you. You are anything but calm so it's not like you are influencing my emotions, does this mean everything is going to be okay?"

With all my thoughts going back to the time I was thinking about being in love with David, being compassionate, was I standing in the way of my emotions all along? Had I blocked them not wanting to deal with all these changes? The fact that I was no longer human... this shift in the balance of powers....

"Maybe all you needed was time.. time to adjust" he said in a solemn tone.

"Are you really okay?" I said touching his knee gently.

He sighed.

"I just... need some... time to adjust."

He continued "Everything is different, everything has changed, I have worked all my life towards achieving one goal; to be the best version of myself I could be, to be a good king. I didn't know I could be better till I met you and I am grateful to you for giving me that." He took a deep breath and continued. "But it's hard, I have made so many countless sacrifices, I have lost so much; my sister.. my brother... I wanted so much more from my life but I had to give everything up and strive towards that one goal that was never mine to begin with."

"I'm sorry things turned out the way they did.." I apologized. He didn't deserve this, hell, he didn't even know what had happened between our families...

"Don't be, you make a spectacular Queen. You are the breath of fresh air that this kingdom needs. You are a natural, doesn't even seem like you need to make any effort, after all, it is in your blood. I just need time to adjust." After a pause he continued. "I am just sorry for what unfolded between our families. All my life I aimed to master something that was never mine to begin with. It feels like someone took away my purpose of living, it is all I had left."

I couldn't possibly understand what he was going through. I felt responsible for taking this away from him.

"Don't."

"Don't what?" I whispered back.

"It's great that you're feeling things now slowly, but I don't want this to be one of the first few things you feel."

He grabbed me and kissed me softly.

Right there and then, in the gardens, enveloped in each other's arms we felt the same thing; love.

***

We woke up the next morning at first light, I covered myself with his shirt lying next to me.

He cracked one eye open and said, "I love you." I smiled at him and gave him a light peck.

It took me a while to fall asleep last night because I had so much on my mind but before we could say anything further to each other Martha came running towards us.

"My Queen we've been looking for you." She bowed.

"What's the matter?"

"Today's your inauguration ball so we wanted a head start to go over some details."

"That was quick."

"You did ask the chancellor to do it as soon as possible."

"It's a good thing" David said.

"Before I go I need to talk to you about last night..."

David dismissed it and said, "There's nothing to talk about, I was as drunk as a vampire could be." He left before I could say anything further.

I went with Martha and started getting ready. "Martha I hope you know that I will rely on your discretion. No one must know you found me here with David."

"Of course my Queen." She squeaked out. "If I may say so..."

"You may" I said.

"I just love the idea of you two. I hope someday we get to see you and the prince.. I mean you and David the way you two used to be...." She smiled and continued "happy together"

I smiled at her too. If only she knew... how much things really have changed.

***

Today I was to wear a pastel teal color outfit, a stark contrast to yesterday's debut.

I got dressed and somehow looked very regal, I never thought I was the sort of person who could carry out looking like I fit into this role of a Queen, but I did, I certainly looked the part. My mind, however, was not at peace. I was worried about David. My concerns had turned into reality. How was David going to cope with this change of situation?

I wanted to speak to him after this inauguration ball which was just a formality anyway.

I started my journey towards the ball room with my security personnel where everyone was waiting for me (which reminded me I still had to discuss this with David and hadn't gotten the chance last night). The chancellor had not officially informed me of this ball happening or that it was during the day as state functions usually happened at night. This was probably his way of showing to people that I was late or something negative I am sure, and it didn't help that my trusted people couldn't find me in the morning.

However, a rule happens to work in my favor; a Queen is never late, everyone else is simply early, and even otherwise, I was certain I wasn't too late.

I arrived, and the double doors opened.
Originally and prior to the radical changes that had just taken place I would've been announced as a princess and after the crown placed on my head during this inauguration I would've been declared Queen.

However, since I was already a Queen ruling, accepted by everyone, I was merely to have this inauguration ball as a welcome party introducing me and hence a formality.

"Presenting Queen Elizabeth Mason, Daughter of Robert Mason in the care of George Mason" I was introduced. I had personally requested that where my biological father would be mentioned, that the father figure who adopted me, took care of me and had given up his own right to the crown for me must also be mentioned.

I gracefully descended the great staircase till I reached the platform before the last staircase.

During the run through of the program I had been given, I was to stop there where the chancellor had to come say a few worlds, introduce me and all that.

However as he was making his way over, I said "Welcome, my dear friends, to this joyous gathering."

When I paused amid the claps the chancellor said "May I introduce-"

I interrupted him with a smile. "You may not. How will a man introduce me who has never met me before?" I received some giggles from the crowd of VIP's and I think I might have gotten the message across.

'Careful there love.' I heard in my mind and replied, 'Don't worry, it's only a power play.'

'Power plays can be dangerous.'

'I want people to think they can speak their minds, be open, this chancellor kept a ball in my honor without even telling me about it.'

'Be careful what you wish for, too much leniency and openness to speak minds comes with a heavy price. Be kind but detach yourself. Trust me.'

"You can continue Lord Chancellor. Do not mind my jesting."

"My Queen." He humbly bowed.

He continued to introduce me to everyone and ended with a proud to present Queen Elizabeth Mason.

Everyone bowed down and chanted 'Long Live the Queen.'

I heard a few whispers amongst the chants and looked at what the commotion was all about.

I saw David looking mesmerized with a smile on his face, his eyes a little bit teary as if he was so proud of me. My heart melted, and I smiled at him.

I realized that the reason behind the whispers was because he was the only one who hadn't bowed down.

He looked confused and then suddenly came to the same realization and bowed down with everyone else; looking ashamed and embarrassed. He never had to bow to anyone in his life.

He chuckled and said to the people around him to feel less weird about the glances he was getting and also to show he wasn't challenging me "Isn't our Queen just so enchanting?" but I felt a pinch in my heart. Like a longing, a deep wound, hurting.

The next hour passed by in a blur of speaking to people.

In the short reprieve that I found I overheard a group talking.

"Isn't it fitting?" someone inconsequential said in a malevolent tone.

"What is?"

"That the ice prince found himself the perfect ice princess." they chuckled.

In that instance I realized how important it was to heed the advice David had given me. No one in their right mind would've said something like this to David, or even in the same vicinity fearing for the consequences.

I need to find a balance.

Casually I passed them by and said "My heart may be as cold as ice but I am not deaf."

The media was all over this, I was sure this would make headlines on the front page tomorrow so I controlled the narrative. The Queen of Mercy.

"Mercy my Queen, we meant no harm." They said with horror in their eyes.

I smiled. "Granted."

I walked away gracefully as they bowed.

The rest of the event was uneventful really. I couldn't find David though. It looked like he may have left early.

After the event I changed and looked for him but still couldn't find him.

The rest of the day was spent trying to resolve matters of the state. I don't know how David used to find the time to spend his days with me, because clearly, I was having a hard time juggling things or finding time for myself. It seemed like no matter how fast I did things something else always came up. It felt like every second of my life was scheduled. I definitely had a new appreciation of how David did things; so flawlessly and effortless.

Maybe it's just till things settle down. I am new to everyone and everything after all, maybe one day I will get the hang of it like David.

When I was finally free I asked a passerby if they had seen David, but no one had.

Strange.

I decided to leave him a message on his phone.

'Hey, where are you? Need to see you about something.'

Usually he replies instantly but I didn't get any response. I wanted to talk to him about certain things, things like what he said yesterday night.

I got into my room, deciding that I would just relax in bed. I was mentally too exhausted to read a book so maybe I'll listen to music.

I put my headphones on and a song called Higher Ground by ODESZA. I felt like my mind was exploding. The music was so beautiful it felt like it was the only thing I could hear, it drowned away all the other sounds, I could no longer hear through the walls even though they were sound proof. Finally all the noise was out. The bass sounded amazing. It felt like it was taking over my mind and body. Making me feel like I was free.

I nodded my head did a few twirls and before I knew it I was happy, dancing around in my room.

I felt someone behind me and from the smell of it, it was David with a smell I wasn't used to smelling on him. Alcohol.

He wrapped his hands around my waist. My back against his chest, I placed my head back into the perfect spot between his neck and collar bone and we swayed with the music.

By now Beyoncé's song Drunk in Love was playing. His hands roamed my body and I put one of mine on his neck. He pressed his body closer and closer till it felt like there was no space between us. We swayed side to side rubbing against each other. He twisted me around fast to face him. His hand grabbed a fistful of my hair and next thing we know we're kissing each other.

I registered that we had stuff to talk about but that was momentary. I was lost, lost in his arms and in music, how was I to resist this gorgeous man, I couldn't, I needed him, just like he needed me.

He pushed me up against the wall, then flipped me around till he was again behind me.

He grabbed the shirt from my neck roughly and pulled it down leaving a trail of kisses.

****

I woke up with a smile on my face. I turned my head towards the left side only to find it empty and no trace of David. My smile was replaced by a frown, my heart felt like someone was squeezing it. I felt a little upset. I wanted to speak to David. It was important. I had a feeling he was spiraling. I wanted to help.

I wanted more than to help him. I wanted to offer him a crown.

After yesterday night, it was clear. I wanted to marry him. He is the love of my life. And that fact, come hell or high water, was not going to change.

I felt the love I had for him so deeply in that moment that I thought it would overwhelm me. It felt like it would choke me. Is this how deeply David had felt his love for me? It felt like there wasn't anything I wouldn't do for him.

I would take charge of my own destiny. It doesn't matter whether I ask him or he asks me. It seems trivial after everything we have been through. We are destined to be together. Destined for greatness; together.

There isn't anything I can't do with him by my side, holding my hand.

I got out of bed and decided that I was going to have a talk with David today.

I hope this has satisfied you guys! Will look forward to hearing what you think. So it's coming to an end finally. Thank you everyone for your support. Will start working on the final chapter which might be one long chapter or in small bursts, let's see. Do you guys think it's worth looking into getting this published? But self publishing is so expensive.. let's see. How do these authors do it haha :p

Don't forget to like my page and review the chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

978K 31K 51
He was so stubborn, adamant not to marry the girl he had never encountered with. She was left alone standing in the altar, humiliated. Her betrothed...
161 0 17
This is a sequel to my other short story (the past hurts). It's about the groups first experiences in the adult world, they have turned 18. Trigger...
14.2K 599 50
This is Book 2! If you haven't read the first, I advise you to go read it. You're gonna be really confused if you skip the first.