Always | ✓

By AlwaysLostInWords

#1 in Teen Fiction - 26.03.2020 #10 in Romance - 04.10.2020 #1 in Unrequited - 21.02.2020 #1 in LoveTriangle... More

1. The First Meeting
2. My Life
3. Enter Julie
4. Liam and Calc
5. Seeing Her
6. Cafeteria Hell
7. My House
8. You and I
9. Echo
10. Apology
11. Okay
12. Perfect
13. Liam, Julie and Calc
14. Cafeteria Friendliness
15. Invited
16. Party at Holden's (I)
17. Party at Holden's (II)
18. Act Natural
19. Aftermath
20. Saturdays
21. First Date
22. Six Words
23. Hold On
24. Soup
25. Unexpected
26. Saviour
27. Learning to Dance
29. The Ball
30. Charmed
31. Change
32. Shot
33. Hospital
34. Recovery
35. For Him
36. Memorable Day
37. A Day
38. Decisions
39. Pause
40. A Letter
41. Bent Arrows
Epilogue - Always

28. Shopping

19.4K 771 206
By AlwaysLostInWords

Why is shopping for dresses so stressful?

Surely with the amount of them that exist, it should be easy to find a dress? But that clearly wasn't working for us girls today.

We had been to three stores, essentially ransacking the store to find something that we liked, but we found nothing. All of us just came out empty handed, just like we were, when we stepped into the store.

Because we still had some time till the Ball, I thought I could order something online, but according to Flo, that was unacceptable. She then began to list out reasons for this, which included; I could end up with something hideous, something that doesn't fit or a dress that looks horrible on me and it'll ruin my night.

To be honest, it seemed like it would affect Flor more if I didn't comply with her, so I didn't put up much of a fight.

I wasn't too bothered by the concept of online shopping. I mean, the hours that I would spend on my feet, looking for the dresses, I'd rather spend them in my pyjamas, browsing through the dresses on my laptop.

It seemed like a better option to be honest.

"All those stores sucked, nothing even remotely looks worthy," Flo complained.

"Worthy?" Sara scoffed. "Okay your highness, what do you deem worthy?"

"Something that isn't neon, frilly or has a butt load of sequins," she replied.

Julie, Mel and I nodded at her words, agreeing with her instantly.

"Yeah, I'm with her," I said.

We then reached the last store - and I say last because I'm not going to another one after this, despite anything that Flo says, instead I'm going to go to lunch.

As soon as we walked into this store, I don't know why, I had a bit more faith. It wasn't too big, more of a boutique if anything, but the layout seemed promising.

The clothing was all up on racks, but neatly aligned to the side of the store, with seating and dressed up mannequins in the middle.

We all kind of separated and gravitated towards the style of dresses that would seemed to fit us best.

Sara and I were looking are the dresses, that weren't really dresses, but rather a long, tulle skirt with a matching top. One that would probably look like a dress when together.

Since I wasn't much of a dress person, I thought that would suit my style better, I just had to find the right combination.

"I think I found my one," I heard Flo squeal.

I turned my head to see what she had chosen, but only caught a blur since she ran towards the changing area.

"I guess that was easy," Mel said.

We had only been in this store for yen minutes maximum, and the most high-maintenance one of us, seemed to have found what she wanted. Hopefully we're all that lucky.

Flo then came out the changing room. "I love this one," she exclaimed.

I don't even think she needs our opinion. She seems to have already made up her mind about the dress.

The dress Flo was wearing was a pale pink, floor-length gown. It had a Bardot cold-shoulder top, exposing her shoulders. There was a dip in the neckline, showing off slight cleavage. It was fitted at the waist, with the skirt flaring out slight with a slit running down the side.

"You look so pretty," Julie told Flo, whilst she just happily spun around in her dress.

"Thank you," Flo grinned. "I guess I'm sorted," she then said.

When Flor when to go change back into her own clothes, I walked towards Julie.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

She turned towards me and smiled. "Yes, I'm just confused. I've never been to something like this before and the amount of preparation..."

"It's a lot," I laughed. "Trust me, this will happen every year now," I told her.

"I found mine," Sara declared loudly, not really caring about the fact that there were other people in the store too.

It took a few minutes for her to change, but then of course she came out of the changing rooms in the most dramatic fashion ever and began posing, as if in front of the paparazzi.

She picked a two-piece prom dress, a skirt and a top. Sara had chosen to go with a black ensemble, with a sleeveless top, halter-neck with a high neckline, part of it being lace. The length of the top left her mid-riff showing slightly. The skirt was floor length satin, with a thigh-high slit just off of the middle.

"You look like a stunning witch," I grinned at her cheekily.

"I'm definitely planning to cast a spell on someone," Sara then winked.

I laughed at her words. She was like the total opposite of Danny, but somehow it worked. Somehow, she'd made the brooding guy fall for her.

"Wait here, I think I have mine," Mel told us and rushed into the changing room too.

It probably looked really odd that we were all kind of just waiting outside as group, when either one of us had found the dress we wanted, but we were just that invested.

Usually, none of us dressed up like this. When we went out, we'd dress up, but not in ball gowns.

Finally, Mel then timidly came out of the dressing room. " I guess this okay," she shrugged.

Mel's dress was definitely not her style, I was actually surprised. She chose a long, satin bottle-green dress which has a slight slit on the side. It had straps at the shoulders and a neck-line deep enough to show some cleavage, something that Mel never had done. It was form-fitting as well, showing off her figure.

"If you're not sure we can keep looking," I told her.

It was so clear that she really loved the dress, but was trying her hardest to not look so interested. As if her eagerness would give away some other secret she was trying to keep.

"No, I like it." Mel then said.

I looked at her skeptically. "Are you sure?"

"Isn't green Andre's favourite colour?" Sara questioned.

Mel instantly looked at her and I couldn't help but laugh.

I knew for a fact that Sara had no clue what was Andre's favourite colour and she was totally making it up, but it was hilarious to see Mel's reaction. As if she's just made the worst blunder.

There were only two of us left to find something now, and I was still at a loss. It wasn't that the dresses weren't nice, I just couldn't find one that I liked and wanted to wear.

"Rena! Julie found one she likes!" Sara yelled out.

The girl seriously had no inside voice.

After some waiting, Julie then stepped out of the changing room. "How does it look?" She asked.

She'd chosen a dark blue dress, one with the length that was sitting just below her knee. The dress had an embroiled tulle, along with a lace boat neck. It had cap sleeves and a cliched waist, a fitted design which showed off her figure.

"You look beautiful," I told her with a smile on my face.

She looked incredibly unsure of her choice. "Are you sure? Liam likes dark-green, but I can't find one I like, so I went with this one," she then said.

"A person can like more than one colour, babe." I chuckled. "He used to really love blue too,  he even chose his car in that colour. Besides, I'm sure he's going to love this dress on you," I told her.

Julie blushed at my words. "Thank you."

"Enough chit chat. Rena, you need a dress," Flo told me sternly, and held my hand, taking me away to an outfit.

After a bit more searched, I finally found something.

I couldn't find a dress I liked, but I decided to follow Sara, and go with the skirt and top look. The top was white and satin, with a scoop-neckline, with barely-there sleeves. It was fitted around my chest and cropped, exposing my mid-riff. The skirt was tulle, floor length and dark-red in colour.

The top had to be taken in a little bit at the shoulders, but I was just hoping that my Mum could sort that out at home.

"Holden is going to lose his mind," Sara winked at me

I laughed at her words and shook my head.

Honestly, I was a lot more happier that we'd all now found our outfits and we could go eat. This was the most exhausting day ever.

***

It was early evening by the time I got home, since we decided to spend some time at Sara's house after lunch.

As I was walking up to my house, I was left really confused when I saw Holden sitting on the front porch, with his head down, looking at his phone.

I walked up towards him, curious as to why he was there, since he hadn't even messaged.

"Holden?"

When I called out his name, he finally looked up and away from his phone, and smiled at me.

"Hi," he greeted me, standing up now.

"Hey," I smiled back. "Did we have plans to meet or something?"

He shook his head. "Nope."

"Oh, um, then why are you sitting outside my house?" I asked.

Mostly, I was surprised my parents hadn't asked him to come in, or that my Dad didn't chase him away.

"I was actually waiting for you," he smiled and then scratched he back of head. "Well, I was at Liam's, but then I wanted to see you."

Okay, that's cute.

"Well, do you want to come inside?" I asked, walking up the steps and towards my front door.

Just as I was about to get to the door, Holden blocked my way. "I actually have to get home now. I just needed to ask you something," he said nervously.

I let out a chuckle. "If it's to go to the summer ball with you, I'm pretty sure I've already said yes."

Holden laughed. "And I will forever be thankful for that. But no, I have another question to ask you," he said, moving a little more closer to me.

I raised a brow in question. "Alright, what's up?"

"What colour is your dress?" He asked.

That wasn't entirely what I thought he'd ask. "Why? Are you scared we're going clash?" I laughed.

Holden shook his head at me and then gently tapped my nose. "No, smart ass. I want my tie to match your dress."

"Seriously?" I asked, tilting my head at him.

"Seriously," he grinned. "Now tell me. Or do I have to sneak a peek?" He asked, as he gestured towards the bag in my hand.

As soon as Holden moved his hand towards the bag, I snatched it away from him. "Hey no peeking," I said and swatted his hands away.

"You'll need a dark-red tie," I told him.

Holden then moved closer to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Have I told you how much I like dark-red?" He asked, staring intently into my eyes.

This caused me to smile and I placed a hand on his chest. Our current proximity, made me nervous, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

"No, but you can tell me when you come pick me up for the ball," I then told him.

Holden leaned in closer. "I won't stop," he whispered.

Before he could get any closer, my Dad's voice intervened. "Zara, where's my bat!?"

This causes Holden to instantly move away from me and I laughed at his scared expression, looking around as if my Dad was right behind him.

I'm pretty sure that my Dad meant his baton for work, which he just generally just called his bat. But, of course Holden doesn't know that and I found it hilarious that he didn't.

"I'm going to go. Bye," Holden quickly told me, sounding so nervous. He kissed the top of my head and then basically ran off.

I just laughed at the sight of him hurrying into his car, after which I stepped inside my house.

Maybe this could be the start to my fairytale.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

726 22 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
28K 1.1K 60
"You only live once." This is the overly used excuse that we use every time we make a decision and that's fine because it's true. This also goes with...
3.8K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
1.8K 399 24
Sometimes love doesn't come when we expect them to, and sometimes it does come when we expect them. Marks life suddenly became difficult and miserabl...