Viper : Enemy of S.H.I.E.L.D.

By purpleshadow14

Jade Leiton is an orphan with too much baggage. As an adult she had taken to a life of crime, becoming the cr... More

Chapter 1: God Damn Avengers
Chapter 2: Prep and Execution
Chapter 3: Bookstores and Iron Man T-Shirts
Chapter 4: Location Changes, Shit
Chapter 5: Whoopdy-Frickin'-Doo
Chapter 6: Identity's and Pat Downs...
Chapter 7: Interrogation With Patches
Chapter 8: Old Coffee Shops
Chapter 9: Explain Yourself Kid
Chapter 10: Reunions
Chapter 11: Lady Viper
Chapter 12: Mmmm... Shawarma
Chapter 13: Escape
Chapter 14: Well That's New Information
Chapter 15: New Tats... And Friends
Chapter 16: French Accents
Chapter 17: Every Hero (and Villain) Needs a Backstory
Chapter 18: Jade?
Chapter 19: Love, What?
Chapter 20: Round Two
Chapter 21: If Only I Wasn't Blind!
Author's Note
Chapter 22: Another Executive Decision
Viper Q/A
Chapter 23: Stark Tower
Chapter 24: The Avengers Fucked Up
Chapter 25: Moment Ruined
Chapter 26: Prove It
Chapter 27: No More Apologies
Chapter 28: Captain America's A Dick
Chapter 29: Look At That, A Flashback
Chapter 30: Dinner Traditions
Chapter 31: Little Black Dresses
Chapter 32: He (Hawkeye) Talks In This One
Chapter 33: A lot happens in this one
Chapter 34: Making Men
Chapter 35: Damn Assassins
Chapter 36: Mistakes
Chapter 37: French Lessons
Chapter 38: I'm Smiling!
Chapter 39: Whoever I am, I am Not a Slut!
Chapter 40: Return of...
Viper Q/A #2
Chapter 41: Oh Shit
Chapter 42: Claw Machine, Skeevy Guy, She-Behemoth and the Trapster
A/N: HOLY SHIT
Chapter 43: Jay Jonah Jackass
Chapter 44: You Take the Shot
Chapter 45: HYDRA Supreme
Chapter 46: Drunk
Chapter 47: The Horsemen
A/N
Chapter 48: Secret Rooms
Chapter 49: Blue Eyes
Chapter 50: The Cluster Fuck of My Heart
Chapter 51: The Cluster Fuck of My Heart (Pt 2)
Chapter 52: Awkward and Unwanted
Chapter 53: Thanksgiving
Chapter 54: *Record Scratch* They Did What To You?
Chapter 55: Gunjamen Franklin
Chapter 56: Nightmares and Daydreams
Chapter 57: Debriefs

Chapter 58: A Revolutionary First Date

475 17 8
By purpleshadow14

Chapter 58: A Revolutionary First Date

I can't wait for coffee.

Yes, I'm also very excited to hang out with Steve, but that "nap" yesterday made it impossible to fall asleep last night. Which gave me plenty of time to think about what I want to say to Steve. It's almost eight now and I'm guessing Steve's back from his run. He's such a dork, I think looking myself over after getting dressed. I wanted to look nice for our date -- is it a date? -- so I decided to wear blue jeans with a rip in the left knee, a white tank-top blouse, a red sweater, and wedged booties. I really hate how tall that boy is.

I walk out of my room with my jacket and bag to a vacant living room, placing them on the counter. Steve and I never really talked about when we were going out, so hopefully, he'll be ready soon. I get a glass of water going over what might happen at the coffee shop. He likes me right? I mean after last night, he has too... Right? And he would never be a jerk about this. Or would he? I think back to the burning hatred I had for the Boy in Blue when we first met. But he's such a good guy, he would never be a dick about this. Right?

I dispel all of these thoughts, finishing my glass of water and walking, to the sink. Deciding I don't want to be left alone with my thoughts, I go to Steve's door. I knock timidly, unsure if I should be bothering him.

"Come in," I hear. I open the door quietly, peaking my head in before stepping in fully, closing the door softly behind me. I stand with my back pressed to the door, hands behind me and still on the handle, looking around the empty room.

"Steve?"

"Sorry." Steve exits his closest, clad in a light grey long sleeved t-shirt, three white buttons were undone at the center of the collar, jeans, and brown boots. "I ran a few extra blocks this morning."

"It's fine," I say, my voice soft, walking up to him. Part of his collar, without the buttons, is folded into his shirt and I fix it for him, my hands flat against his chest to straighten out the shirt. I look up at Steve -- he has a small smile on his face -- and his hair is wet, I'm assuming from a shower.

"I'll be ready in just a minute," Steve says, holding my hands before going into the bathroom. I turn and sit on his perfectly made bed.

I don't think I've made my bed once since being here. I think, feeling the sheets. I study his room, taking everything in. I know I've been in his room before, but I guess I'm looking at it in a different light. He's so... clean. Every little thing has its place, I don't think there's even a speck of dust in here. My room here might look clean, but there's barely anything in it. My apartment isn't a pig sty, but it's cluttered. My desk alone is unorganized and scattered. Maybe this whole thing with Steve is a bad idea... We're so different...

"You ready?" Steve comes out of the bathroom, his hair now combed back.

I sigh just at the sight of him, "Mhm." I nod, standing while Steve grabs his brown leather jacket, wallet, and phone. "Since when do you have a phone?" I ask, this being the first time I've seen it.

"Since Tony insisted I need to stop being such an old man." Steve jokes, slipping both his phone and wallet into his pants pockets and pulling on his jacket. I smile as he opens the door for me. We walk down the hall in a comfortable silence. Before I can myself, Steve grabs my jacket, holding it open for me and helping me slip it on. I grab my bag and we walk to the elevator. Maybe it's just me, but the silence becomes overwhelming. Why the hell does this tower have to be so damn tall?

"How'd you sleep?" I ask, looking up at Steve, clearing my throat.

"Good, good, I had a really quiet evening to keep things calm." I look down smiling, remembering last night too. "What about you?"

"Ha, yeah my little nap kind of screwed me over for a good night's sleep." I laugh, brushing some of my hair behind my ear. The elevator doors slide open and we walk out of the building.

"I'm sorry to hear that Jade, but you look beautiful... as always," Steve says, guiding me down the street.

"Merci," I mumble. "So, where are we going on this lovely morning?"

"I pass this little café on my runs that I think you'll really like. If that's alright with you." Steve looks at me for approval, one hand rubbing the back of his neck the other hand shoved into the pocket of his jeans.

"That sounds perfect," I say, wrapping my hands around Steve's arm as we continue down the street. Several blocks later, Steve takes me down an alley to what looks like an old ticket depot. There's a quaint little sign at the entrance of the alley that says, "Romancing the Bean." Steve opens the door for me and a bell above the door sings out.

"Good morning!" A sweet, older woman with tanned skin and big, bright, welcoming, brown eyes behind the counter says.

"Good morning," I respond, the woman's smile being so infectious, one spreads across my face as well. Looking around the small building, I realize it's an old train depot. At the counter, there's a display case with old conductors equipment, even the classic blue cap. "Excuse me, what's the history of this building?" I ask the woman.

"This was one of the first ticket depots in New York. The railroad ran along right outside." She gestures out the window where now a warehouse stands, "My husband and I bought the building before it was torn down."

"That's incredible," I say in awe.

"Why thank you, dear, now what can I get the lovely couple?" I can see Steve is about to correct the woman, but I order first.

"Could I get a large vanilla coffee, two sugars, and room for creme." I pull my wallet out and hand the woman a 2o, "Keep the change for this and whatever the big lug orders." Steve makes a face that feigns shock. I turn and settle at the table as the woman laughs and Steve orders.

"Just a regular cup of coffee with a splash of milk."

"Coming right up, dear." I drape my bag over the back of the chair and place my jacket over it.

"Big lug?" Steve asks, taking off his jacket as well. I simply shrug, looking up at him through my lashes as he sits down. "I'm really glad we're doing this." Steve folds his hands on top of the table. "It's been twenty minutes and I'm already having a great time." I bite my lip, smirking incredibly wide and look down. Maybe I was thinking irrationally earlier. The woman comes over with 2 mugs and a dish with creme.

"Here you are loves."

"Thank you so much, what's your name by the way?" I ask.

"Vivianna."

"Well again, thank you, I'm Jade and this is Steve." I place my hands on Steve's clasped ones.

"It's lovely to meet you both," Vivianna says, with a grin before returning back behind the counter.

I pour the cream into my coffee, stirring it with my finger and licking it afterward. "Jade?" I look up, picking up my cup and meeting Steve's gaze.

"Oui?"

He smiles, taking a sip of his own coffee, "As you said, I really like you." He sets his cup down, but I keep mine held in front of my mouth. I may or may not be hiding a smile. After composing myself, I set my mug down.

"So what do we do?"

"Well," Steve takes a sip of his coffee, "I've, you know, I've, I've never, I mean I've done stuff, but I've never had, you know, a, um, relationship." I have to stop myself from giggling after he finally spits out the obvious.

"That's okay," I take his hands in mine, "I've only been in one if you could call it that. But right now, I just want to be with you."

Steve brings my right hand up and kisses my knuckles. "I want that too, ma'am."

I would hide my face with my hands, but Steve continues to hold them. Unfortunately, my thoughts get the better of me. "Do you remember what Tony said, um, before the first mission with Flashpoint?"

Steve rubs his thumb over my hand. "What do you mean?"

"Well... He said that the last thing we needed right now was us... being together..."

Steve looks down, our hands resting on the table. "As I recall, it was you taking my virginity." I can't help but laugh, turning my head against my shoulder. "Who cares about Tony, we don't even need to tell the team." I turn back towards Steve, my mouth agape and eyes wide.

"You mean, keep us -- this -- a secret?" I gesture between us, a little surprised that Steve would suggest such a thing.

"Well, if it's the worst thing that would happen to the team, but the best thing for us -- well I mean, at lea-at least for me -- the-then why not?"

Ohmigod, he's so nervous, this is adorable. "You know, I think it would be the best thing for us." I smile at Steve and he returns the gesture. I clear my throat, squeezing his hands. "I don't want you to ever be nervous, about anything, when talking to me."

"I'll keep that in mind, ma'am." Again, I smile releasing a breathy laugh and hiding with a head turn. "On one condition," Steve takes the left side of my face in his hand, "You never hid this beautiful smile from me again." Steve's thumb runs across my cheek.

This man, I think, kissing the palm of his hand. "Deal." I grab my mug, taking another sip as Steve pulls his hand away.

"Forgive me Jade, but I have to ask." Steve fumbles with his hands for a moment. "Why didn't you want to be with Peter?"

I take a deep breath, not expecting that. "Well... He's wonderful, amazing, beautiful, but I saw him when he was in love, and I just know, he wouldn't be the same with me. I'm just..." Another breath, "Too dark for him." As I'm speaking, I realize I shouldn't be with anyone. "Steve, actually-"

"You're not too dark Jade," He cuts me off. "I've fought in World War Ⅱ, I've fought aliens trying to take over the planet. I think I can handle you." Steve smirks. He grabs my left hand rubbing my knuckles with his thumb. "Jade, I know you have a dark past, but that doesn't mean you're dark. If anything, you've been a light in not only my life but the rest of the team as well." I look down, flustered at Steve's words.

I open my mouth to deny his sentiment, but the bell above the door interrupts me, as well as a boisterous, "Vivianna!"

Oh, you've got to be fucking kidding me.

"Wha- Jade, I'm serious, I-"

"No." I cut Steve off, more stern than I intended. "Sorry, but," I reach for Steve's hand before slightly nodding to the door where, yep you guessed it, Luc stands. He walks to the counter, clearly knowing Vivianna as he chit-chats with her. Steve being the SHIELD agent he is, looks over his shoulder without drawing attention.

Squeezing my hand, he hushes, "We can leave?"

I'm about to agree with him, but unfortunately, our cover is blown. "Jade? Fancy running into you here," Luc says with a smirk that makes me want to punch him square in the nose. "Oooo, and with none other than the Captain himself." Steve releases my hands, standing up.

Oh shit, I think I can actually see steam coming from his ears.

"Steve," He says politely -- yet still cold and stern?-- and holds his hand out. "You must be Luc, Jade's told me a lot about you."

Fuck, he went there. I feel like I'm watching the tensest reality show ever. Luc shakes Steve's hand, maintaining eye contact. Doesn't he know not to look a predator in the eye.

"Well then I'm sure you already know, you've got quite the spit fire on your hands." Luc finally glances down at me. I take a sip of my coffee, boring my gaze into Luc's tauntingly.

"I wouldn't have her any other way." Steve pulls both of our attention to him. I quickly go back to Luc though. I hadn't seen him in a short sleeve shirt, (why is he wearing just that? It's winter!) and I had no idea he had tattoos.

"Agreed," Luc says, still looking at Steve, while I study what I can make of his tattoos. On his right bicep, there seems to be a design of a gothic-esque cathedral window. I can't quite make out what's on his left arm, but it looks like a trail of words that wrap around his shoulder.

"Well then, I guess you shouldn't have lost your chance." Steve bites back at Luc.

Luc's gaze tightens, as he sips his own coffee. "I suggest you tread carefully, with a killer right hook and a temper much deadlier, Jade Sawyer is chaos walking." Scowling, I stand, stepping between Steve and Luc, my glare directed straight into Luc's, ready to snap back at him. "But what is life without a little chaos?"

"Tragic, I'm afraid." I smirk, my hands wrapping around Steve's arm. "I'm not sure about you, love, but I have a rather sour taste in my mouth now. Shall we?" Steve's already grabbed my jacket and bag, helping me on with my jacket.

"C'mon dollface." Steve shrugs his own coat on before placing a hand on my back and guiding us out of the building.

"So long love birds," Luc says behind us, and his tone feigns mockery, but I know him. He couldn't be more infuriated right now.

Once Steve and I are outside, I feel him release a breath. "I'm so-"

"Are you kidding?" I laugh grabbing Steve's arm, my eyes squeezing shut as I nearly cackle. I can see Steve is a tad perplexed, so I calm myself enough to speak. I take the right side of his face in my left hand, my other palm resting on his chest. "I like it when you're protective. Or... Was that jealousy, dear Captain?"

Steve creases his brow, looking away from me, scoffing, "Wh-no, I would never be jealous of that sociopath. I just hate what he's done to you. And to think he had the nerve to talk to you like that." I could see Steve getting himself worked up, fists clenching tightly.

I wrap my arms around his neck, "Well, whatever is was, I loved it." I give him a sweet kiss, hoping to relax him. When his hands lay on my waist, I smile. "Now, shall we continue this lovely morning with a walk?" I ask, taking Steve's hand, brushing off the encounter with Luc.

Steve smiles, nodding, "Of course."

It's a pleasant little walk, just along the street with a comfortable silence. All of a sudden both of our phones go off like crazy. Nothing but the Avengers logo is on my screen.

I swipe, answering the... call? It's an automated message from Tony. "Get your ass down to the Pentagon; HYDRA is striking earlier than we expected!" I hang up and turn to Steve, assuming he got a similar message. Steve and I immediately make a B-Line back to the tower. Him, being Captain America and all, can easily maneuver through the people, gaining distance between us. Meanwhile, I'm shouting at people to move and then shoving them out of my way. I stop, thinking of a better way for me to get back to the tower. I look down an alley, my gaze meeting a fire escape and I smirk. Steve calls my name and I whip around meeting his eyes for just a moment before darting down the alley. I jump on a trash can, knocking it over, propelling myself to the ladder of the fire escape. After climbing up, I swing myself over and onto the roof of the building. Kneeling, I catch my breath. Damn, there's gotta be a better way of getting to roofs. I begin running again leaping from roof to roof. Note to self: Invest in a grappling hook of some kind. Ya know? Like Batman's. I lean over, hands on my knees, after landing on the roof closest to the tower, breathing deeply. I didn't really think this through... I release one last huff, grabbing my phone and redialing the number of the message Tony sent.

Surprisingly, Jarvis answers, "Miss Sawyer?"

"Hey J! I need you to send down my boots or open the..." 23, 24, 25, 26 "27th window on the west side of the tower or something," I rush out.

"Right away, Miss." I hang up, waiting for the windows to open, but instead, a pod of some sort comes shooting from the roof. It lands right in front of me, two levers popping out from the side and forming a handle. Shrugging, I jump on, holding the handles for dear life. I shoot through the air, landing on the balcony. I push through the door and nearly collide with Steve who is putting his helmet on, already all suited up.

"I'll see you out there, be safe." Steve practically spits out, kissing me quickly before brushing past me and activating the AvenJet.

"You too!" I call running to my room. I quickly change into my Viper gear, lacing up my boots. The compartment in the wall is already open as well as the window. With a running start, I grab my helmet and jump out the window, slipping my helmet on in the process. A route to the Pentagon is already set up in my helmet and I jet off in that direction. "J, is there any way to patch me in so I can see what's going on over there?"

"Of course, Miss." Jarvis opens a video feed to what I think is coming from Tony's suit. It seems like there are more robots than actual foot soldiers, as opposed to HYDRA's last attack. It looks like Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Thor are the only ones in battle. Makes sense, don't need the Hulk destroying the Pentagon. Not much damage has been caused; just debris from the HYDRA bots.

"Cut feed," I say after several more minutes of watching. After roughly five more minutes of flying, I shoot up, standing straight in the sky, overlooking the Pentagon. I see Steve's already arrived and is on the ground fighting. "Alright guys, where do you want me?" I ask over the comms.

"Try to get in the jet up there," Tony says with a grunt. "See if there's an off switch for these robots."

"Got it." I fly over to the jet. "Oh, J?" I stop before trying to hack into the jet myself, "Is there a way you can open the bay door?" The jet is just hovering above the action down below, and nothing is happening as I fly around it. Is anyone even in this thing?

"The arrows in your wrist guards will grant me access," Jarvis responds. I pull an arrow out and fly to the back of the jet. I shrug, shoving the arrow into a panel. There's a fizz of electricity before the bay door opens. I fly in, landing once the door is closed. Nice touch, Metal Head. And as suspected, no one's here.

"Is it just me, or is it weird that no one is monitoring this thing?" I ask sitting down at a control panel.

"What? No one's in there?" Widow asks.

"Just yours truly."
"That's not suspicious," Clint comments.

I sit down at the control panel, pulling up different video feeds from the robots. "There's not even any security to access the bots," I say confused, powering down the robots and landing the jet.

"You think this was a diversion?" Steve asks. Suddenly a screen appears in front of the control panel, Flashpoint looking directly at me.

"You're more clever than I thought, Little Snake," he says mockingly.

"It's definitely a diversion," I respond to Steve, seeing Flashpoint is in a white hallway, I'm assuming somewhere in the Pentagon.

"I suggest you quit stating the obvious if you wish to fill the role of 'hero.'" Flashpoint grabs my attention back.

"There are HYDRA agents inside, find out where," I order the rest of the team as I turn away from the screen.

"Oh, Viper?" I sigh, not turning but stopping to listen to whatever shite this asshat has to say. "I've been looking forward to this since our first encounter. I must say, I am quite enamored with you."

I still don't turn, "Hope you'll be satisfied with a one-sided relationship." With that, I stalk out of the jet.

"Guards are down in the South-East corridor, it looks like they're on the seventh level below ground," Steve says once I join the others. "Viper, Widow, Hawkeye, go ahead inside. Stark, Thor, and I will stay out in case reinforcements show up." I nod running inside with Natasha and Clint.

"Jarvis, do you have schematics of the building?" I ask as the three of us run past the unconscious -- I hope -- guards.

"Of course," Jarvis responds, a blueprint of the building popping up on my screen. Is it weird that I'm unfazed by the fact that Stark has blueprints of the Pentagon?

"There's a stairwell around the next corner that'll take us to the seventh level." Sure, there's an elevator too, but could you imagine three assassins on a dangerous mission waiting patiently in an elevator? Yes, and it'd be hilarious, but I think I'd rather see in a movie than live it.

I use another one of my arrows and throw in at the access panel. With a tiny explosion, the door can be heard unlocking. Clint kicks the door open and immediately jumps over the railing. Natasha and I follow, sailing to the seventh level. There are more guards littered around the hallways and we soon all come to stand still in our tracks. There's a low buzzing coming from around the corner, like a saw. Clint loads an arrow and creeps to the side of the wall peering into the hallway. He quickly turns back holding up 5 fingers, indicating there are five agents. He and Natasha share a nod before looking at me.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what they're thinking or what the plan is, but I will say this: I'm pretty capable of bullshitting myself through most situations. So, I return the nod and just like that, they're both in action. Clint shoots an arrow into that hall, which sends out barrels of smoke, like a smoke bomb. My helmet provides something of a filter to my view so I can see clearly through the smoke. It looks like Clint and Natasha are both fighting two HYDRA agents -- how they can see boggles me just as much as you -- which means there should be one left for me. And I have an inkling as to who it might be.

I turn around as the smoke starts to clear and I'm met with Flashpoint throwing a punch. I scarcely dodge, ducking to my right and jabbing the left side of his abdomen. He groans, taking a step back and out of my reach. "Oh, did I surprise you? Nothing to be afraid of, my dear," Flashpoint says before reaching into one of the compartments on his belt.

"Like a Black Mask wannabe would scare me," I retort, holding my fists up. He pulls out a pair of brass knuckles, except these brass knuckles, are on steroids, with spikes on each knuckle and a blade on each side. "What happened to not using weapons as a crutch?" I ask, Natasha and Clint fighting in the background as I stand off with Flashpoint.

"You proved to be much more skilled than I originally assessed." He lunges forward, throwing another punch, but I block it. My forearm pushing against his, the blade of the brass knuckles a tad too close to my shoulder. "Tell me," He grunts, "how does a petty mercenary get scouted by SHIELD and then join the Avengers?"

I don't even think to answer before I grab his right wrist and twist his arm behind him, making him drop the brass knuckles. "It's a long story, ass bucket." I push his arm further between his shoulder blades, a strained groan coming from Flashpoint. As I'm about to push him to his knees, he steps back, his leg in between my own and kicks my right leg out from under me, causing me to spill straight onto my back.

Immediately, Flashpoint is straddled over me, his right knee pushing on my left shoulder, his left leg holding my right leg down, and his hand restricting my right arm while his right hand is grappled around my neck. "Oh, Little Snake, how I wish to see that pained expression on your face, gasping for air." He clutches my throat harder and I feel a tear slip down my cheek as I frantically search for something with my left hand. He leans down closer to my face, his knee practically crushing my shoulder and whispers, "I told you, there's nothing to fear, I just wish to know who you are, amour."

For once, I'm thankful for this guy being a total creep, meanwhile, I managed to grab the pair of brass knuckles he dropped and sock him in the side of his head. The blow didn't do much other than give him a few new scratches on that skull mask of his, but he did slip up enough for me to push him off of me. I roll away from him and onto all fours, coughing my guts out and absolutely hating the fact that I wear a helmet. Just as I'm about to stand, I'm met with a boot to the gut, kicking me into the wall. I look up and see Flashpoint glowering over me.

I press my back against the wall, catching my breath and planting my feet. I've clearly upset the poor fellow. He raises his fist, prepared to hammer it down on me, but an electric shock meets him before his fist can meet me. He jolts, seizing up before reaching behind him and wrenching an arrow out of his back. Thanks, Clint. I jump up and scissor kick Flashpoint right in the jaw. He falls straight back with a thud.

Unfortunately, due to Clint saving my ass, an agent managed to finish sawing through the door and is inside. I jump over Flashpoint and chase after the agent. He's already got a hold of what I'm assuming their whole mission was about; some sort of chamber with a vile inside. I'm about to charge when an explosion comes out of nowhere, blowing me back, debris crashing over me. Between the ringing in my ears and the black spots dancing around my vision, I see the HYDRA agent grapple out of the room, the ceiling and all the floors above it gone. Ugh, even the bad guys have grappling hooks. I try to move, but I'm too discombobulated. I think I hear my name, but I'm not sure. I was too close to the explosion. How the hell was that HYDRA asshole unscathed?

My vision begins going in and out and I can feel myself fading. He probably just walked up to me, but it's like Flashpoint magically appeared in front of me, like a phantom. He gets closer to my face, but I'm not sure why. Again it seems suddenly, he's gone. I groan, lolling my head to the side, giving up on staying conscious. I have a headache anyway.

***

Ughhhh... Fuck... Fuck, fuck, fuckity, fuck.

"Well, I guess you did just have a building blow up on you, so I won't say anything."

I creak my eyes open to see Steve standing over me. "What?"

"Do you not remember?" He asks, brows furrowed in worry.

Remember? Oh right, the mission, HYDRA, Flashpoint and then yeah, a building blowing up over me. "No, I remember." I sit up, my back aching, but Steve helps me.

"That's good, Bruce was afraid about that."

"Takes more than a little explosion to keep me down." I stretch out -- multiple joints cracking -- feeling like I've been laying in the medbay for days. Oh shit! "Wait! How long was I out?"

"Hey, it's okay," Steve holds my shoulders, making me face him, "the mission was yesterday. You were asleep for about 30 hours. We thought you'd be out longer."

"Okay, so I just missed a day... How's everyone else? What happened? Did they escape?" I rattle off.

"Okay, deep breaths." Steve hops up onto the bed with me. "Clint and Nat needed some patchwork and were both asleep for a couple hours after the explosion. The rest of us are fine, minus Tony's suit. When Flashpoint and the agent exited the building, a dozen more jets started showing up. They short-circuited Tony's suit, but Thor and I managed to de-escalate the situation and minimize damage. But yeah, they got away. Flashpoint did seem out of it though."

"Probably from Clint's arrow."

"Or that kick to his jaw you gave him." Steve smiles at me and wraps his arm around my shoulders. I lean into him as he continues, "But he got some good hits on you and then there's the explosion. From that, you have a few cracked ribs, your left knee is fractured and a minor concussion. Not to mention some internal bleeding..."

"Oh, is that all? How come I don't feel concussed or, fractured?" I ask, looking down at myself. I seriously don't feel that bad. More stiff than anything. To be honest, I felt worse after

the team first caught me.

"Thankfully the science team has been working on some bone reconstruction... thing..." Steve rubs the back of his head, looking to the side.

"What?" I can't help but laugh.

"I don't know, they put you in this chamber and it fixed everything. But they said you'd be sore, so I want you to take it easy for the next few days." Steve looks back at me, more concern in his wide eyes than I'd expect.
"Will do, Cap'n." I salute him.

Steve chuckles, standing from the bed. "Come on, we should get you something to eat."

I follow Steve down the hall and to the elevator, stretching again. "So, did you camp out with me the whole 30 hours?" I tease.

"No, but I did ask Jarvis to tell me the second you woke up. It would have been kind of suspicious to the team if I stayed with you the whole time."

"Smart of you, dare I say you're enjoying this secret of ours?"

"There is something a little exciting about it." Steve smirks, wrapping an arm around my waist, about to kiss me, but the elevator dings and I quickly shove him away from me.

The doors slide open, and there Clint stands in perfect Clint fashion; sipping on a milkshake and scrolling through his phone, face and body littered with band-aids. "Oh Jade, you're awake." His head perks up as he looks at me. "And Steve."

"Yup, leave it to the Boy Scout of America to bug me, even when I'm passed out." Clint and Steve chuckle.

"I knew a measly 30 hours wouldn't keep you down," Clint says, nudging my arm.

The elevator dings again, opening to the main floor. I immediately go to the fridge, my hunger becoming more prominent. "Ah, you guys had pizza without me?" I notice the box in the fridge.

"Hey, we stopped Thor from finishing it all." Steve shrugs.

"My heroes," I say, rolling my eyes and pulling the box out. "Who's frozen coffee is this?" I ask, pulling that out as well.

"Oh, that's where I put it. It's mine, from this morning. Go for it," Clint says, still slurping on his shake while sitting at the counter. I join him, tossing the pizza box there.

"Cold pizza and even colder coffee?" Steve asks, an eyebrow quirked and smirk evident as he sits next to me.

"Breakfast of champions," I say with a finger gun his way while beginning my first slice.

"So what happened in that room after the explosion?" Clint asks.

"Wait, what? You don't know?"

"You were the only one in there." Clint shrugs.

"Oh well, not much before the place went to smithereens, but one of the HYDRA agents got away with this, cylinder chamber, with a vile in it. I think it had a blue liquid in it. I'm not sure though." I furrow my brows, looking to my left, trying to remember.

"What about Flashpoint?" Clint asks, snatching a piece of pizza.

"Flashpoint." I jump up, "Oh shit! Where's my helmet?" I ask.

"Uh, your room?" Steve says, pointing down the hall. I quickly run that way, Steve calling out, "I told you to take it easy!"

Not thinking about Steve's comment, I bust into my room, my gear on my bed. I grab my helmet and put it on. "Replay last mission," I say. Even before Tony suped up my stuff, I still recorded everything when my helmet was on. The video starts when I left the tower. "Skip to the last 10 minutes, before the explosion." It jumps to when I started facing off with Flashpoint. I study my fight with him to see if there's any point I could gain leverage on him in the future. I know he's cocky, but, to be honest, he backs it up. He must have been the mastermind behind this attack, and in terms of a hero versus villain fight, it went pretty seamless for HYDRA. In the feed, he's now on top of me. At the moment, I was pretty dazed, having the wind choked out of me, but now, I'm noticing some marks on his upper arms. His armor must have shifted during the fight. Are they scars... tattoos?

*le gasp*

(A/N: Get it? Cause she's French?)

"Jade?" Steve calls from the kitchen.

"Uh, okay, now skip to when the explosion went off."
I walk back out to Steve and Clint. After the explosion, my ears were ringing, but now I can hear Steve, Tony and Thor calling out to Natasha, Clint and I. As well as what Flashpoint said. "Impressive, darling. You truly are a marvel. But, I'm afraid you heroes just didn't cut it this time."

I take my helmet off, setting it on the counter between Clint and Steve. "He was just taunting me. This whole time, it's been just a game to him. It makes sense though," I begin rambling, "we had the same training, the same sick, sadistic attitude implanted in us. That's why I haven't been able to beat him. I've been thinking of him as an adversary, but this whole time, I've known exactly the way he's thinking."

"Woah, Jade," Steve stands up and places a hand on my shoulder.

I shove him away, beginning to pace the room. "That bastard! He's been playing me this whole time! That's why he was at Lascombe's! When I get my hands on that two-faced fuck, I'm gonna-"

"Jade!" Steve shouts, standing in front of me, his hands firmly gripping my shoulders. I look up at him, my mind still racing, head aching by how angry I am. "Who?"

"Luc! Flashpoint! Luc is Flashpoint!"  

A/N: So... It's been awhile. Well, I would like to first, apologize. Second, and I am in no way using this as an excuse, I had gone away for college in a different state, 10 hours away from my family and friends. At first, I was ecstatic to be living on my own and expanding and developing myself, but after only the first semester, I got caught up in some drama and lost every friend I had managed to make. Because of that, I let depression get the better of me and stopped going to classes, barely ate, I didn't do anything. I almost never left my room except to shower and maybe get something to eat. I couldn't sleep and had horrible insomnia, something I'm still struggling with. I was hospitalized for 5 days while my mom drove all the way out in a snowstorm to get me. I've been home now for a couple months and am finally feeling better. I spent the last several days really working on myself and finally worked up the stamina to continue writing. That's why this chapter took so long and was so difficult for me. I just couldn't do it, I knew whatever I spit out would be awful, so I just didn't write. But I'm back, taking care of myself and writing. As I'm sure most of you can guess, I do want to write for a living,  so for me to be back on track is everything. 

Okay! With that bullshit out of the way, how's the chapter???? I really hope I was able to shock some of you! We're finally getting to the meat of things and I couldn't be happier with finishing this story. Next chapter is somewhat of a filler, but I hope you all will enjoy it. I know it's February, but get ready for some Christmas fun!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 3.9K 25
(Avengers fan fiction) Life on the streets was always hard for Echo but adding superheros, spy's, gangs and stones from outer space really put the ch...
20.2K 494 26
Y/N was trained by HYDRA, and has been for as long as she can remember. She has become more dangerous than you could imagine, and she has been given...
383K 14K 40
Cassidy Martin didn't ask for any of this, and she doesn't want it. Her powers came to her by an accident, a fluke, and now they're threatening to r...
699 40 14
"You step outside that door, you're an Avenger." ***** Avery Grace never had a family, or anything c...