Chapter 10: Reunions

Jade’s Point of View

            Beep… Beep… I lift my hand to turn off the alarm, but find I’m hooked to an IV. Looking to my left I see several machines, lit up and beeping. I look up and see Spider Man hanging above me. By instinct I want to jerk away, but remember I’m attached to several machines. I do sit up though, but I end up centimeters from his upside down face.

            “Morning sunshine.” He says through his mask.

            “What? It was midnight a few minutes ago.” Flipping off his web and landing at the foot of the table I’m on he says,

            “Nope. It is about 10 in the morning.”

            “Were you here all night?” I ask swinging my legs off the table.

            “Sadly, yes.” He says walking over to me.

            “What happened?” I ask pulling the needle out of my arm and turning the machines off.

            “Well, when you saw your cell. You went into shock, because your mind created an alternate reality. Basically you passed out.”

            “Oh, is that all.” I say turning the rest of the machines off. “What now?” I ask expecting him to take me back to Patches or something.

            “Now… I need to tell you something Jade.” Hesitating, I turn to look at him.

            “What?” I say skeptically.

            “You may not believe me, but you know me and I know you. We were good friends and-”

            “Who are you? What do you mean ‘were’ good friends?”

            “I mean, we haven’t seen each other in a long time. I actually hadn’t heard a ‘whoopdy-frickin’-doo’ in a year.” He says stepping closer. Thinking about his words, I try to connect what he’s saying.

            “Jade…” he starts out, “It’s…”

            “Peter.” I finish for him. He pulls off his mask revealing his unruly brown hair, crooked smile and deep brown eyes. So many thoughts and emotions were coursing through me, but the biggest one was happiness. Allowing myself the moment, I jumped onto Spid- uh- Peter and throw my arms around his neck.

            “What-How?” I breathe into his neck. I feel his chest shake as he chuckles at my actions. I hadn’t realized he was holding me until my bare feet touched the ground as he set me down. He looks down at me and my smile fades as all the other emotions catch up to me. Hatred, betrayal, sadness, anxiety, joy, and defeat. Taking my hands away from him, I slap him across the face.

            “Ow! What the f- What was that for?!” The sadness surfacing next, I rush to him and hold his face.

            “I’m sorry, I just didn’t know what else to do.”

            “No, I probably deserved that.” He says, straightening. I remove my hands and look at the ground.

            “But, you never told me.” I say quietly.

            “You never told me Jade! We’re both at fault here!” Before answering, I hear shuffling behind me, but ignore it.

            “I would have Peter! If I thought it were safe! The people I work with are very dangerous and would harm me in every way possible. That would mean hurting those I love, and frankly, you were the only one in that category.”