Chapter 40: Return of...

Important info in the Author's Note

Chapter 40: Return Of...

"Good morning Jade. It is 8:00 a.m., September 29th. The weath-"

"Can it J." I mumble into my pillow, after being o-so rudely awoken.

"My apologies Miss. It was requested that you be awake and ready by 11." Jarvis says.

"And who the hell requested that? Especially when I haven't even had 4 hours of sleep."

"Miss Lillian Nightshade."

"Son of a bitch." I groan rolling onto my back and rubbing my eyes. I throw the covers off myself only to shiver at the cold. I look down. Man, I was so tired last night, I didn't even put on pants. I let one more shiver rush through my body before sitting up and crawling out of bed. I walk to my closet, patting down my hair and running my fingers through it in an attempt to tame it. I grab a pair of shorts and a hoodie, zipping it as I walk out. I pass the TV, almost tripping over Natasha's shoes. Oooooo, hold it right there Sawyer. I look at my reflection in the TV screen and cringe a little at my smeared makeup. I go into the bathroom and rig my face of any makeup. Oh good God, you would think after washing my face, I would be awake. Welp, coffee it is. I stretch as I exit my room and walk down the hall, my back and shoulders cracking, inducing a satisfying morning moan. My arms flop down to my sides as I enter the empty kitchen.

"Good morning." I turn slightly to see Steve coming in from the elevator, wearing jogging gear.

"Good morning." I say after yawning. "Why are you awake?"

"I've slept enough for a lifetime. Why are you awake?" Steve asks, grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge as I pour myself a mug of coffee.

"I have a feeling you've used that line before." I say adding creamer and sugar. "For me though, I was requested to be awake and ready by 11." I take a sip of the coffee. Mmmmmmmmm...

"Who's request?" Steve asks after taking the bottle away from his lips. I look at him, keeping my lips to the cup as I glance at him.

"Lilly."

"Oh, how is she?" He asks, leaning on the counter across from me.

"Last time we chatted, there was a situation. So hopefully she's worked things out."

He nods, taking another gulp of water while I sip at my coffee. Breaking the peaceful silence he asks, "So how did you sleep?"

"Oh the three and a half hours of it were wonderful." I tell him then proceed to nurse my coffee. He smiles and places the bottle on the counter.

"Do you want some break-"

"Jade! Why am I awake and who the hell is Lillian Nightshade?" Darcy shouts while stepping out of the elevator with a very tired looking Ian. Oh, okay so I did see those two go off on their own last night.

"Lillian is a friend of mine and since you're awake, I'm assuming she wants to join in on you taking me to the mall." I say. She opens her mouth, I'm sure to complain, but her voice is replaced with Pepper's.

"Wonderful. When are we meeting her?" She and Tony walk in from the hallway, Tony only in his boxers and tank top.

"Eleven." I say, placing my empty mug in the sink. Darcy rolls her eyes and trudges back into the elevator, as it opens revealing Thor and Jane.

"Not much of a morning person, that one." I quietly say turning back to everyone.

"Good morning!" Thor says brightly.