Chapter 58: A Revolutionary First Date

I can't wait for coffee.

Yes, I'm also very excited to hang out with Steve, but that "nap" yesterday made it impossible to fall asleep last night. Which gave me plenty of time to think about what I want to say to Steve. It's almost eight now and I'm guessing Steve's back from his run. He's such a dork, I think looking myself over after getting dressed. I wanted to look nice for our date -- is it a date? -- so I decided to wear blue jeans with a rip in the left knee, a white tank-top blouse, a red sweater, and wedged booties. I really hate how tall that boy is.

I walk out of my room with my jacket and bag to a vacant living room, placing them on the counter. Steve and I never really talked about when we were going out, so hopefully, he'll be ready soon. I get a glass of water going over what might happen at the coffee shop. He likes me right? I mean after last night, he has too... Right? And he would never be a jerk about this. Or would he? I think back to the burning hatred I had for the Boy in Blue when we first met. But he's such a good guy, he would never be a dick about this. Right?

I dispel all of these thoughts, finishing my glass of water and walking, to the sink. Deciding I don't want to be left alone with my thoughts, I go to Steve's door. I knock timidly, unsure if I should be bothering him.

"Come in," I hear. I open the door quietly, peaking my head in before stepping in fully, closing the door softly behind me. I stand with my back pressed to the door, hands behind me and still on the handle, looking around the empty room.

"Steve?"

"Sorry." Steve exits his closest, clad in a light grey long sleeved t-shirt, three white buttons were undone at the center of the collar, jeans, and brown boots. "I ran a few extra blocks this morning."

"It's fine," I say, my voice soft, walking up to him. Part of his collar, without the buttons, is folded into his shirt and I fix it for him, my hands flat against his chest to straighten out the shirt. I look up at Steve -- he has a small smile on his face -- and his hair is wet, I'm assuming from a shower.

"I'll be ready in just a minute," Steve says, holding my hands before going into the bathroom. I turn and sit on his perfectly made bed.

I don't think I've made my bed once since being here. I think, feeling the sheets. I study his room, taking everything in. I know I've been in his room before, but I guess I'm looking at it in a different light. He's so... clean. Every little thing has its place, I don't think there's even a speck of dust in here. My room here might look clean, but there's barely anything in it. My apartment isn't a pig sty, but it's cluttered. My desk alone is unorganized and scattered. Maybe this whole thing with Steve is a bad idea... We're so different...

"You ready?" Steve comes out of the bathroom, his hair now combed back.

I sigh just at the sight of him, "Mhm." I nod, standing while Steve grabs his brown leather jacket, wallet, and phone. "Since when do you have a phone?" I ask, this being the first time I've seen it.

"Since Tony insisted I need to stop being such an old man." Steve jokes, slipping both his phone and wallet into his pants pockets and pulling on his jacket. I smile as he opens the door for me. We walk down the hall in a comfortable silence. Before I can myself, Steve grabs my jacket, holding it open for me and helping me slip it on. I grab my bag and we walk to the elevator. Maybe it's just me, but the silence becomes overwhelming. Why the hell does this tower have to be so damn tall?

"How'd you sleep?" I ask, looking up at Steve, clearing my throat.

"Good, good, I had a really quiet evening to keep things calm." I look down smiling, remembering last night too. "What about you?"