Whisper

Av BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... Mer

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

29

22 8 19
Av BillTemple1957

The flames surrounded me. I looked for an exit, but there seemed no way out of the inferno.

I was beginning to panic.

.

Suddenly, I heard screaming, again.

But this was not a little girl's voice. This definitely was not my Whisper.

.

I looked around.

Suddenly a woman appeared just inches in front of me. She was yelling, as loudly as she could.

Pure terror in her voice.

"Calvin? Calvin?"

.

A man was at the woman's side, in a second. His face showed the same panic and terror, as the woman's.

"There's no way out," he gasped.

"The walls are all up in flames. I can't get to the door," he cried, in panic.

.

"Calvin? What have we done?"

.

I watched, as they searched for a way out of the growing flames. They would take a few steps one way and stop. Then a few steps another way, with the same result.

There was no way out.

.

The flames were surrounding me, but I felt no heat, just a constant cold.

Still, it did little to quieten my pounding heart and dry mouth.

Like Alice and Calvin, I too, was panicked and more than a little terrified.

.

"Jenny, where is Jenny?" Alice screamed, grabbing her husband by the arms.

"Where is my daughter?"

.

"She must be upstairs," Calvin answered, pulling away from his wife.

He turned toward the staircase, just a few feet in front of him. Flames were crawling up the wall and peeking through the stairs, but the centre of the stairwell was still free of flame.

"Maybe that is a way out," he barked, as he ran toward the stairs and started up the staircase.

He was about halfway up when it suddenly burst into flames, all around him and collapsed, under his weight. A wall of flames erupted, as the collapsed staircase fell to the floor below.

.

"CALVIN."

Alice yelled his name, as he appeared for a brief moment, but then disappeared, silently into the flames, that engulfed him.

.

"Oh my Lord. Calvin."

But there was no time for grieving. Alice looked around. There was no where to go. The ceiling above her head was being quickly engulfed in flames.

"JENNY? JENNY?"

She screamed as loud as she could.

.

"Mommy, I'm up here."

We both looked up to the landing that at one time was connected to the stair case.

Jenny was standing at the very edge of the landing, one hand leaning on the wall next to her.

.

"Jenny get back."

.

She moved away from the edge, half hidden by the wall next to her.

"Mommy. Please come and get me, I'm scared."

.

"Sweetie, go back to your room. Open your window and jump out into the snow."

.

"Mommy, I'm scared," Jenny cried.

.

My heart was absolutely breaking. To see Jenny as a little girl. To see the terror on her face.

It was ripping my heart out. I just wanted to help her, but I could not move.

I could only stand and watch the story unfold.

.

"I know you're scared, sweetie. But you have to listen to Mommy.

Go to your room, NOW. Get out the window, Jenny. Get out of the house."

.

I could see the flames burning into the ceiling right under where Jenny was standing. I tried to yell to her, but there was nothing. No sound came from me.

.

"I want to be with you and Daddy," Jenny cried.

.

"Sweetie, listen. Daddy and I will meet you outside. Go girl. Go. Back to your room. Open the window and jump outside."

Alice tried to keep calm, but I could hear the panic coming into her voice, even more now. She knew she had to get Jenny out of the house.

.

"Mommy, I'm scared."

.

"Daddy and I will be right out sweetie. Go. Now. Please. I beg of you Jenny, go to your room."

.

"Mommy."

.

Jenny was crying now and so was I.

Again I tried to yell. I wanted to tell her to run, but the words never left my mouth.

.

Alice turned quickly as a section of the ceiling gave way and fell in a ball of flame, not five feet from her.

She turned back to the upper floor. Now she was screaming in anger and fear.

"Jenny, for the love of God. Go to your room. Get out the window. Now girl."

.

I swear I could see tears in her eyes.

.

I saw Jenny mouth the word, 'Mommy', but it was lost in the sounds of wood burning.

Quickly she turned and then disappeared around the corner, out of my sight.

.

I looked around. All I could see was flames. My house was gone. It was obvious to me that I was in Jenny's family home.

It was the night of the fire.

.

Alice Dove turned quickly. I could see right into her face. There was a look of terror, a terror so deep. I had never seen such a look.

There was no where for her to go. She began to cry. She fell to her knees and clasped her hands. I could hear her pray.

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

.

At that second, the entire upper floor gave way and fell.

I put my arms up to protect myself, but there was no need. Nothing was happening to me.

It was as though I were now the spirit.

.

I looked at Alice.

She never stopped praying as the ceiling fell upon her and she disappeared into the flame.

.

I can not even describe the feeling that came over me as I watched this, obviously, wonderful and loving woman and mother, perish, right before my eyes.

I suddenly felt empty.

.

The flames continued to grow around me, as another section of the roof above me fell to the floor.

I looked up. I could see snow blowing into the house, now that the roof had collapsed. The flames, now blown by the wild wind, were dancing around what was left of the wooden structure.

.

Suddenly a thought hit me.

Jenny?

Where was Jenny?

Where was Whisper?

.

Again I tried to yell and again there was nothing. I had to find my little girl.

I had to find out if she did indeed make it out of the house or, was she burning to ash somewhere in front of me.

.

The flames continued to grow around me, driven by the wind.

But I simply felt cold.

.

I had to find Jenny.

I decided to run for it. I closed my eyes and ran through the flame.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

454 20 13
Fear comes in many forms. Some hidden and some open. Take a visit to Darkwood Sands, where the atmosphere is as unique as the people. This town i...
144K 3.8K 13
Belief The strongest thing in the world. It can give someone hope when everything seems lost and a feeling of power when you think that you can fight...
12.2K 724 41
Mat a young woman who always felt out of place in her life... She never did fit in anywhere, an outcast from the age of eleven, she never felt whole...