//BEARING ARMS//RDR2//ARTHUR...

By S0UP66

Arthur Morgan, a crucial gunslinger of the Van der Linde Gang, joins in on the usual coach robbery, when sudd... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty- Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
RDR2 Announcement!!
-ANNOUNCEMENT-
Final Author's Note
Author's Note
-UPDATE-
Quarantine Time

Chapter Seventeen

5.7K 173 58
By S0UP66

The sun light seeped through the cloth of the tent. (Y/n) had woken up, slowly opening her eyes for the first time that day. She smiled and turned her head to see a familiar face nestled over her shoulder, his stubble brushing against her skin, and his arms draped around her. Arthur's lips curled as he leaned in to kiss (Y/n)'s face.

"Good mornin', darlin'," the man said. He still held her in his arms, not wanting to get up quite just yet.

(Y/n) turned her body completely to face Arthur. "Good morning to you, as well," she said. She had barely known Arthur for long, but (Y/n) could tell he was something better than she had ever thought could be. For once, she had felt comfort in someone else's arms. The way he held her close, she could feel a heartbeat, one that she had grown acquainted to for some time.

He began to button up his shirt. "I'll be gettin' somethin' for us to eat ready to start our day. We should head back to camp." He walked out from underneath the tent to the small fire across. It had been so long since Arthur felt alive. He even considered, maybe- just maybe, leaving the gang and running away with (Y/n) was the right thing to do. It was what he should have originally done with his past lovers. But perhaps this was fate.

This could have been the world being generous towards him, giving Arthur a third chance to make amends. He had the chance to be a happy, free man with a loving, accepting woman. But, he could not. Arthur could tell the gang needed him. He had to look after them like it was all on his shoulders. Yes, Dutch was the one making most of the calls and the plans, but who was really working? Arthur Morgan was.

If Dutch needed a job done (and a job done right), he sent Arthur. When Tilly was taken, who was the one who acted on his own to save her- Arthur. When a robbery or shoot out was in store, who was sure to be included in the job? Arthur. And, when John needed saving, who was asked to go for the rescue? That's right, Arthur Morgan once again.

Although Dutch was known as the mastermind, the king or ringleader of the gang forged in his name, Arthur was the one who held the group together. He did what he had to and balance loyalty to Dutch with the love he had for his new family. It was difficult, surviving and moving around the country, but it was done. Arthur had no breaks and no chance to live on his own. He was much too involved.

But (Y/n), she was the only woman in his life to make him question it all. Was she really the answer to his uneventful life? She did seem to bring him happiness and purpose, two things he longed for almost his entire life.

"Here you go," he said as he handed (Y/n) their morning meal. She yawned, took a bite, and set the food down in order to fix her hair. She raised her arms up to her head and stretched and combed her fingers through her hair. Without knowing, Arthur was looking at her, admiring her form. He liked her elegant figure and the way she moved without realizing how gorgeous she really was.

She turned to face him while reaching for her food, breaking Arthur from his trance. "So, " she said, "what are we doing today?" As she munched on her meal.

"I was thinkin' we head back to the camp; I'll settle out what needs to be done there, and we'll do whatever we need to do ordered by Dutch." He explained, his voice still raspy.

(Y/n) nodded, "seems like a good plan." Then, she spoke again, remembering an important question she had in her head, "If Sadie was in the same situation as me after the O'Driscolls killed her husband, then why was she welcomed into the gang and I was not?"

It was early, but (Y/n) had her mind cleared. Arthur, some-what groggy still from waking up, was not expecting such a specific question; especially one that was as good this. "Well, I'm not sure," Arthur said, "honestly, Dutch isn't making much sense lately. I think, I think he's worried. He's focused on keepin' this group's loyalty that I don't think he's too keen on letting anyone else in." He shook his head, "this is all- it's all a mess. I'm just doin' what has to be done, I guess."

(Y/n) furrowed her brows, noting the exasperated look on Arthur's face. "It's because I'm weak in his eyes, right? Sadie was tough from the start, but me? I'm nothing except a runaway aristocrat."

"Dutch and nobody else knows who you really are." Said Arthur. He explained, "You're rich and Dutch is getting desperate. If he knows you got money, he's gonna use you to get it." All while the two were speaking, Arthur was tearing down the camp. After finishing up, he rubbed his hand in circles on (Y/n)'s back in comfort. "I won't let anythin' happen to you. You're part of the gang whether they like it or not."

* * *

Later on that day, they were all back in camp. Arthur had met up with Dutch and the others for whatever schemes that had planned to carry out that day, leaving (Y/n) to herself for the time being. However, her time alone was cut short. Three girls in the camp, named Mary-Beth, Tilly, and Karen, invited over (Y/n) to join them to finish drying laundry while the men went out.

"Hey, there, (Y/n)!" Karen called, "come with us to finish this load!" She was smiling; never had thought (Y/n) would anyone be so happy to do laundry.

Tilly said, "Yeah, more hands will help get the job done quicker!" Who was also grinning. They all seemed to be good friends and enjoyed talking while working, so (Y/n) agreed.

" We're washing them down by the shore here and then hanging them to dry on the line?" Asked (Y/n), who actually had never been one to clean. Usually, she had maids to do the chores. She would help them every now and then, but it was not something she specialized in.

Mary-Beth smirked, raised her brows and placed her hands on her hips. "How is it that you sound so unsure? It's like you've never cleaned clothes before." The other two girls giggled afterwards.

(Y/n)'s face had turned a light shade of pink. She forgot that no one knew that she rarely had to lift a finger to work. "Oh, no, I'm just making sure that's what we're doing. Not trying to botch up the job, you know?" (Y/n) said, trying to cover for herself.

Tilly laughed, "we're just messin' with you!" She picked up a basket of laundry and moved it closer to the water.

Karen was drinking out of a bottle while attempting to hang up a shirt on the line. "We've heard you talk!" She said before taking another swig.

The other girls smiled and giggled some more. "Yeah, we know how you are," Mary-Beth poked.

Did they know she was not who she claimed to be? How could they have found out? (Y/n) could feel a ball form in her throat. "What- what do you mean?" She sputtered.

"We know you like to tease!" Cheered Tilly, "especially around Arthur." She folded the clothes and placed them down.

(Y/n) was able to calm down but began to grow nervous again by the mention of Arthur. To herself, it was obvious that he was definitely the center of her attention. She loved him, that much she knew. However, she did not want it to be known to the gang, not that she was embarrassed of him or anything. (Y/n) just wanted it to seem like Arthur sided with her without any prejudice, not because they were 'secretly' interested in one another.

Mary-Beth swooned, "Yes! Tell us what's goin' on between you two!" She could see (Y/n)'s face grow redder. "I mean, " she said, "if you wouldn't mind?" She did not mean to intrude, but she was very interested in the gossip. Mary-Beth always had a fascination with books and stories, especially romance novels. So, of course, she was excited to hear the story behind (Y/n) and Arthur.

Karen, her face also turning red- not out of embarrassment, but because of alcohol, put down her drink to listen. "Yeah," she slurred, "I actually wanna hear about this." The three girls sat around (Y/n), waiting eagerly for a response.

"Wha-what? Well, what do you want to know exactly?" Questioned (Y/n). She felt so uncomfortable being put on the spot.

"You know what," said Tilly with a curled smile.

"She's just nervous," said Mary-Beth.

"Then this must be good!" Said Karen.

Mary-Beth was the most amused, so she began to ask more specifically. "What do you like about him? Has he said he likes you? What do y'all do when y'all're out?" She kept going on and on with questions.

"Slow down, " (Y/n) laughed, "first of all, I think he's a very nice gentleman, very polite-"

Karen could not hold back her giggles, which turned to snorting, as she spat out her drink. "Ha! I know Arthur's nice and kind- but to be called a 'gentleman'? It's all sorts of funny!"

(Y/n) smiled, "But he is! He treats me so well! He's the best man I've ever known in my life!" She thought briefly, "well, I mean, that might not mean much considering I've never met any really nice men-"

Tilly had to chime in out of excitement, "so, you do like him! I never thought an elegant sounding lady would like a tough guy like Arthur!"

Karen, after regaining her breath, added on, "and, no offense, I never thought any woman your age would like an older man like him."

(Y/n) never thought about it. "How old is he then?"

"In his mid-thirties, I believe," said Mary-Beth.

"I heard once that he was forty-three," said Tilly, laughing.

"No, that's impossible- he doesn't even look it!" Said (Y/n), sounding rather surprised. She never realized the difference in age he was compared to herself. Was she really that mesmerized by him so much to not see it? Like it mattered anyway. (Y/n) was sure after last night that she cared for him deeply.

Tilly laughed, "I know, it's funny in a way. Arthur's actually about thirty-five. Honestly, don't know how he doesn't look older than he really is! He's always workin' and doin' what needs to be done, yet he doesn't have a single gray hair on his head!"

Karen took another swig, "yeah, I don't know how he does it. If I was him, I'd have a whole head full of grays."

Mary-Beth sighed, "Well, I think it's nice to like someone. Bein' in love is amazin'," she began to twirl her hair and daze off into nothing.

(Y/n) snickered, "oh, really? Do you have someone in mind?" She was good a teasing; they were right.

Tilly nudged Mary-Beth. "Come on! We know you've been sweet on Kieran."

"Well, I mean, he's a sweet fella! He's so caring and doesn't have a mean bone in his body," Mary-Beth explained. She continued to smile at the thought of him.

Karen tossed her bottle. "Eh, men aren't all that," she said right before their chatting came to an end. After hearing the men return to the camp and hitching their horses, the girls decided it was time to stop. Mary-Beth groaned, "I guess that's enough girl talk."

The three girls got up to return to their own errands after saying their goodbyes and that was that. The whole time of 'working' was mostly talking about boys. (Y/n) had even felt a little relieved to have found out a little more about Arthur. She could hear what others had to say of him and how her views differed. It was an interesting talk to say the least. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.8K 2.3K 20
(Y/n) (l/n), a name that everyone knew. Being right hand man of one of the most famous gang leaders has it's perks. The O'Driscolls were one of the m...
100K 2.3K 78
Slow-burn romance between Reader and Dutch, taking place during the events of RDR2. Hope you enjoy :) Warnings: - 18+ - Violent themes - Contains smu...
101K 3.1K 51
You own a saloon in a town you wish to leave for good. One day, a group of outlaws decides to settle nearby. You decide to use them to your advantage...
21.8K 397 30
-* "Now that things have spiraled out of my control, I don't know if what I'm choosing is the correct path...but tsk, who am I trying to kid? I knew...