ยน๐’๐š๐ฉ๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐ซ๐ž โ”€ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๏ฟฝ...

By stydiqs

๐—” ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—น๐—น ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ. ๐Ž๐‘ โคต... More

๐’๐š๐ฉ๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐ซ๐ž
๐Ÿฌ. ๐—ฎ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜€ & ๐˜€๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฑ๐˜€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ. ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜†
๐“๐ก๐ž ๐‚๐ก๐š๐ฆ๐›๐ž๐ซ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐’๐ž๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ฌ
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ. ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ. ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ต ๐—น๐—ถ๐˜๐˜๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ. ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜€๐—น๐˜‚๐—ด๐˜€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฐ. ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ ๐—บ๐˜†๐—ฟ๐˜๐—น๐—ฒ
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฑ. ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฎ ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฒ. ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿณ. ๐—ฑ๐˜‚๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฐ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฏ
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿด. ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜๐˜€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿต. ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐˜† ๐˜ƒ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜†
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ. ๐˜€๐˜๐—ผ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ. ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ธ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ถ๐˜
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ. ๐—ณ๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฏ. ๐—ฎ ๐—ณ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ณ
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฐ. ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—น๐—ฒ
๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฑ. ๐—ฎ ๐—ท๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ด๐—ต ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜†
OBSERVANT
POA โ†ด
DEMENTORS
HIPPOGRIFFS
RIDDIKULUS
HOGSMEADE
WEREWOlVES
BUTTERBEER
HOLIDAY
PATRONUM
FIREBOLT
STRUT
COCKROACH
BLACK
MARAUDERS
SCABBERS
EXONERATED
TIME-TURNER
RESIGNATION

EXAMS

2.6K 149 197
By stydiqs

. . .

The castle's euphoria at Gryffindor finally winning the Quidditch cup lasted at least a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached, the days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling onto the grounds and flopping down onto the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, perhaps playing a casual game of Gobstones, watching the giant squid propel itself dreamily across the surface of the lake, or as Tilly preferred, reading a book in the quiet, warm air.

But they couldn't. Exams were nearly upon them, and instead of lazing around outside, the students were forced to remain inside the castle, trying to bully their brains into concentrating while enticing wafts of summer air drifted in through their windows. Even Hazel Stickney had been spotted working; she was about to take her O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels). Penelope Clearwater was getting ready to take her N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests), the highest qualification Hogwarts offered. If Penelope planned on following Percy Weasley to the Ministry of Magic, she needed top grades. She was becoming increasingly edgy and gave very severe punishments to anybody who disturbed the quiet of the common room in the evenings. In fact, the only person who seemed more anxious than Penelope was Percy and Hermione.

Matilda had given up on asking Hermione if she'd like some help with studying and telling her to try and talk with Professor McGonagall about dropping some of her classes. Ron and Harry, after seeing the exam schedule she had drawn up couldn't refrain from asking how she's managing to attend several classes at once. The first column of the schedule read:

Monday

9 o'clock Arithmancy

9 o'clock Transfigurations

Lunch

1 o'clock charms

1 o'clock Ancient Runes

"Hermione?" Ron said cautiously because she was liable to explode when interrupted these days. "Er — are you sure you've copied down these times, right?"

"What?" snapped Hermione, picking up the exam schedule and examining it. "Yes, of course, I have."

"Is there any point asking how you're going to sit for two exams at once?" said Harry.

"No," said Hermione shortly. "Have either of you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"

"I believe I have an extra copy of the book in my room," said Tilly, feeling quite sorry for the frizzy-haired girl. "You can borrow it if you'd like."

Just then, there was a rustle at the window and Hedwig, Harry's owl, fluttered through it, a note clutched tight in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," said Harry, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal—it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," informed Tilly, as she glanced over at Hermione who was rustling through her many stacks of parchment.

"And they're coming up here to do it," said Harry, still reading from the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and—and an executioner."

Matilda looked up at Harry, startled.

"They're bringing the executioner to the appeal? But that sounds as though they've already decided!" said Hermione, who had stopped looking through her parchment.

"Yeah, it does," said Harry slowly.

"Of course, they've already made up their minds," said Tilly, as much as she hated this, she'd expected for something like this to happen. No matter how much research Hagrid had or how proficient he spoke, nothing was going to save Buckbeak. "Or rather I say, Lucius Malfoy had made their minds up for them!"

"They can't" Ron howled. "Matilda and I have spent ages reading up on stuff for him; they can't just ignore it all!"

Matilda took a step toward Ron and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. He was shaking with anger. She already knew that the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures had their minds made up by Mr. Malfoy. Draco, who had been noticeably subdued since Gryffindor's triumph in the Quidditch final, seemed to have regained some of his old swagger over the next few days. From sneering comments that Matilda, Harry, Ron, and Hermione overheard, Malfoy was certain Buckbeak was going to be killed and seemed thoroughly pleased with himself for bringing it all about. Harry had to keep an eye on Matilda because she would often, quietly raise her wand to a bragging Malfoy. And the worst thing of all was that they had no time to or opportunity to go and see Hagrid, because the strict new security measures had not been lifted, and Harry continued to ignore Matilda's orders in retrieving his Invisibility Cloak from the one-eyed witch.

"If you're scared I could go with you," Tilly would tease Harry. "There is no shame in being afraid."

"It's not that I'm afraid of going back, Matilda," Harry would respond quickly. "But Snape may still be lurking around those areas, hoping to catch me in the act of something."

Tilly rolled her eyes, Harry was right, knowing Snape he'd be hoping for Harry's return in that part of the castle.

Exam week began and an unnatural hush fell over the castle. The third years emerged from Transfigurations at lunchtime on Monday, limp and ashen-faced, comparing results and bemoaning the difficulty of the tasks they had been set, which had included turning a teapot into a tortoise. Hermione irritated the rest by fussing about how her tortoise had looked more like a turtle, which was the least of everyone else's worries. Tilly, who had already finished, sat beside Harry and watched Hermione struggle towards the front of the class.

"Mine still had a spout for a tail, what a nightmare. . ."

"An absolute nightmare!"

"It still had a willow-patterned shell, d'you think that'll count against me?"

"Yes. Professor McGonagall will most likely count that against you,"

Hermione glared over at Tilly.

"You know, sometimes you are just too honest, Matilda!"

Tilly shrugged her shoulders with a look of mock confusion, following after Hermione.

"I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware that being honest was a bad thing!"

Then, after a hasty lunch, it was time for Tilly's Herbology exam, out in the greenhouse under a baking-hot sun with the Slytherins. After dinner, the students hurried back to their common rooms, not to relax, but to start studying for Care of Magical Creatures Potions, and Astronomy.

Hagrid presided over the Care of Magical Creatures exam the following morning with a very preoccupied air indeed; his heart didn't seem to be in it at all. He had provided a large tub of fresh flobberworms for the class and told them that to pass the test, their flobberworms had to still be alive at the end of one hour. As flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, it was the easiest exam any of them had ever taken, and also gave Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Matilda plenty of opportunity to speak to Hagrid.

"Beaky's getting' a bit depressed," Hagrid told them, bending low on the pretense of that Harry's flobberworm was still alive. "Bin cooped up too long. But still. . . we'll know the day after tomorrow – one way or the other –"

They had potions that afternoon, which was an unqualified disaster for everyone other than Matilda. Daisy Morgenstern had started over twice and try as he might, Neville couldn't get his Confusing Concoction to thicken, and Snape stood to watch with an air of vindictive pleasure, scribbled something that looked suspiciously like a zero onto his notes as he stood, hovering over Harry.

Before her midnight Astronomy exam, Tilly had a meeting set up with Professor Burbage in her office. She was to turn in her final essay, which also served as an exam, on Muggles and their materialistic values compared to Wizards and Witches. Then came Astronomy at midnight, up on the tallest tower. Each student was supplied a telescope and was instructed to find, name, and sketch all eighty-eight constellations in the night sky. Arithmancy on Wednesday morning, in which Matilda had to know how to apply the Chaldean Numerology Method to find the hidden influences that foreshadow the future. Wednesday afternoon meant History of Magic, the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were told by Professor Binns to recount as much on the medieval witch-hunts as they could on a piece of parchment. Due to her interest in the early European Witch Trials and the Salem Witch Trials, Tilly's parchment that Professor Binns supplied was full of information.

Tilly's last exam on Wednesday was in Study of Ancient Runes, where the small class was expected to be able to recognize different types of Runes. For example, Magical Symbols of the Ancient Eastern Civilization, Germanic Runes, and Symbolic Number Runes. A few students struggled with not being able to differentiate the Ancient Runes from the Germanic Runes.

On Thursday morning was one of her last exams, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of them had ever taken; a sort of obstacle course outside in the sun, where they had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing grindylows, cross a series of potholes full of Red Caps, squish their way across a patch of marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new boggart.

"But, Professor Lupin," said Daisy Morgenstern nervously after Lupin had finished explained the rules of the course. "I don't really do well in the water. . ."

The blonde Slytherin girl stared at the deep pool in horror, dreading the grindylows that swim beneath.

"Well, this exam is all about facing and overcoming your biggest fears," said Lupin excitedly, looking down at Daisy with a smile as she looked up at him with a pale face. "So, that's what you need to try and do!"

Harry was the first person from the class to volunteer to try and take on the course. He, of course, done extremely well. Tilly had taken notice that Defense Against the Dark Arts had become one of Harry's best subjects over the year.

"Excellent, Harry," Lupin muttered as Harry climbed out of the trunk, grinning. "Full marks."

The class cheered loudly for Harry.

"Okay," said Professor Lupin clapping his hands together, looking around the class excitedly. "Who is going to be the next to take on my course?"

No one raised their hand to volunteer.

"Alright, let's get this over with," said Tilly rolling her eyes as she stepped forward. She began to take off her robes and shoes, handing them over to Ron to hold onto.

Tilly's body tensed up as she stepped into the cold pool, Lupin had prepared. She stood on the ledge taking a second before stepping off into the deep water, where the bottom of the pool was not visible. Tilly kept her wand held high above the water as she began to swim across, also watching the water below her for the little green monsters that his down there.

"Relashio!"

Tilly would shout that when she'd feel the long fingers of the grindylow wrap around a part of her body. Surprisingly enough she only had to this about two times, Harry had much more activity in the pool than Matilda was getting. But when she had almost reached the end of the pool, one grindylow leaped out of the deep water and onto Tilly, trying its hardest to get her under the water. She was unable to use her wand because the ugly creature was all over her, so, when she was able to grab onto the grindylow's wrist, she snapped its fingers causing it to yelp and dive back into the deep water.

Quickly, Tilly got herself out of the pool and rung out her wet hair as she headed for the next part of the course. The potholes that Lupin had created were ridiculously dramatic to Tilly. It was evident Lupin had gotten very excited and went above and beyond on this entire thing.

"I'm soaking wet, my clothes are completely ruined, and I'm a bit sleep deprived," mumbled Tilly. "So, if one of you ugly little things want to try me, you best get a good shot!"

It was as if the Red Caps took her threat as a challenge because just as she said that one of them popped out in all its disgusting glory. At this moment Tilly wished she had prepared a beautifying potion to make this process quicker.

A Red Cap is a small, dwarf-like creature that lived where blood had been shed, such as in the dungeons of castles, the potholes of old battlefields, or simply in holes underground. They attacked those who have gotten lost, and though they are extremely dangerous.

"Colloshoo!"

Tilly decided to hex the Red Cap, making its shoes stick to the ground. She continued using this on the Red Caps that attempted to come at her.

The patch of the marsh was absolutely disgusting. Tilly hated the feeling of the mud squishing under her feet and the water had an odd scent and the brown color of it didn't make things better for her. Avoiding the hinkypunks was easy for Tilly because she knew she had to keep her wand lit, but when they did begin to approach her, she had to start defending herself from the potential flames they could throw at her from their lanterns.

"Lumos Duo!"

This was used to connect the light from Tilly's wand to the hinkypunk in order to solidify it by the brightness of the light.

"Flipendo!"

After making sure the hinkypunk was still blinded by the wand-light Tilly would yell the Knockback Jinx a few times, causing the hinkypunk to disappear in a puff of white smoke.

It had only taken her a few minutes to get to the trunk, but for Tilly, it had felt like hours had already gone by. She was wet, covered in dirt and mud, and now in a very bad mood. The trunk that Lupin had chosen for his students was far from being a spacious one, even with Matilda being as small as she was, she still felt cramped on the inside. Once on the inside, with the lid shut, Tilly decided to light the tip of her wand because without that it'd be complete darkness in the small trunk.

"Hello,"

Tilly's eyes widened as another her sat on the other end of the trunk. Despite this figure having the same hair, clothes, and face as Tilly, she could tell that something was different from the other her. Behind its bright blue eyes, Tilly could only see darkness and hatred, the feeling that emitted from her mirror-self was that of desperation and destruction. Matilda hated it, she didn't want to be in the trunk with whatever this was any longer. She didn't want this to be her and she didn't want others to think that this was her.

"Riddikulus!"

Tilly closed her eyes and shouted the defensive charm, quickly her boggart disappeared but Tilly needed to take a moment to allow herself to breathe before exiting the trunk. Like they did when Harry finished, Tilly also got applause from her classmates and full points from Professor Lupin.

"So, what'd you see?" asked Ron.

He handed Tilly back her robes and shoes that she had entrusted him to hold while she completed the course.

"Idiots," answered Tilly, still catching her breath. "I was surrounded by idiots."

Still in a bad mood, despite her success, Tilly hung around to watch Ron and the rest of her classmates. Ron did very well until he reached the hinkypunk, which successfully confused him into sinking waist-high into the quagmire.

"Very smart use in using the tickling hex on the Red Caps," said Tilly in an attempt to cheer Ron up after he walked up beside of her with a look of defeat across his face. "I've not seen anybody else use that, yet!"

Hermione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, she burst out, screaming.

"Hermione!" said Lupin, startled. "What's the matter?"

"P — P — Professor McGonagall!" Hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "Sh-she said I'd failed everything!"

While Harry tried to calm Hermione down, Matilda and Ron went on watching their other classmates take on the course.

When it came to Daisy Morgenstern to finally take her turn, she had a look of complete fear on her face. She looked as if she was going to puke when she stepped into the pool with her bare-feet and hair pulled back loosely. With how Tilly had seen her perform in class earlier in the year, she knew that if Daisy would be able to get past the grindylows and her boggart in the trunk, she'd be able to get her full points.

"Morgenstern is definitely going to puke," predicted Dean Thomas, who had already taken his turn on the course. "Her face is almost the same exact color as her tie!"

Daisy did not end up puking, proving Dean Thomas wrong, but a few grindylows did end up pulling her under water, but after a few seconds, she would always resurface, trying her best to quickly get out of the water. After she managed to escape the infested pool, Daisy got through the Red Caps and hinkypunks with ease. But when it came time for her to once again, confront her boggart she hesitated before finally stepping into the small trunk. Like Hermione, Daisy spent about a minute or two inside of the trunk before frantically crawling out of it. Her eyes were wide with fear, but she didn't scream or cry, she did nothing except for walk back over towards a group of Slytherins. Tilly had wondered if Daisy's biggest fear involved water, what happened in the trunk.

Finally, it was Draco Malfoy's turn to take on the course. Tilly and all the other students watched with intrigue as he took on the course. Unlike his friend, Draco was able to get through the grindylow infested pool without being dragged under and he got through the rest of the course with as much ease as Daisy and the others were able to. The class wasn't intrigued by how well Malfoy was going to do on those parts of the course though, they wanted to see how he'd react in the trunk. Even Daisy seemed to be interested in how Draco would do with being trapped in a small space with his biggest fear.

"I bet his biggest fear is running out of hair product," said Ron, glaring at Draco.

He earned a laugh from Harry, Dean, and Neville, but Tilly shook her head.

"No," Tilly told them calmly. "It's something bigger, something with meaning—and I want to find out what it is!"

Tilly took a step up, to get a better view of the trunk.

"Honestly mate," whispered Dean, leaning into Ron. "She's a bit terrifying!"

Ron responded to Dean with a nod and smile, but he was looking at Matilda, who was not paying attention to him and Dean.

"I know," he said.

Everyone was on the edge of their seats, waiting. But when it came time for Draco to step into the trunk he refused. Even though Lupin pleaded with him and explained that this was going to be a large part of his final grade he still refused. Draco Malfoy would not be taking on his boggart. And for this, he earned several boos from most of his classmates.

"Bloody hell," groaned Tilly, upset at the outcome. "He's just proven how much of a coward he truly is to the entire class!"

It took a little while for everyone else to take their turn on the course. When at last Professor Lupin dismissed the class, Matilda, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went back to the castle. Ron was still slightly inclined to laugh at Hermione's boggart, but an argument was averted by the sight that met them on the top of the stairs.

Cornelius Fudge, sweating slightly in his pinstriped cloak, was standing there staring out at the grounds. He started at the sight of the four students.

"Hello there, Harry!" he said. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," said Harry. Hermione and Ron, not being on speaking terms with the Minister of Magic, hovered awkwardly in the background. Tilly stood with them with her arms crossed over her chest and glaring at Fudge.

"Lovely day," said Fudge, casting an eye over the lake. "Pity. . . pity. . ."

He sighed deeply and looked down at Harry.

"I'm here on an unpleasant mission, Harry. The Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures required a witness to the execution of a mad hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to check on the Black situation. I was asked to step in."

"Not really a pleasant day at all then," said Tilly, stepping up beside of Harry. "Has the appeal already happened?"

"No, no, it's scheduled for this afternoon," said Fudge, looking curiously at Matilda.

"Then why bother bringing an executioner?" asked Tilly, confidently. "The hippogriff might get off, right?"

Before Fudge could answer Tilly's condescending questions, two wizards came through the castle doors behind him. One was so ancient he appeared to be withering before their very eyes; the other one was tall and strapping, with a thin black mustache. Tilly was able to gather that they were representatives of the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures because the very old wizard squinted toward Hagrid's cabin and said in a feeble voice, "Dear, dear, I'm getting too old for this. . . Two o'clock, isn't it, Fudge?"

The black-mustached man was fingering something in his belt; Tilly looked and saw that he was running one broad thumb along the blade of a shining axe. Ron opened his mouth to say something, but Harry nudged him hard in the ribs and jerked his head toward the entrance hall.

"Why'd you stop me?" said Ron angrily as they entered the Great Hall for lunch. "Did you see them? They've even got the axe ready! This isn't justice!"

Tilly, who found herself enjoying Ron getting fired up over the lack of Justice in the ministry looked to Harry, smiling.

"Yeah Harry," said Matilda. "Why'd you stop him?!"

Instead of Harry answering, Hermione answered for him.

"Ron, your dad works for the Ministry—as does yours, Matilda, you can't go saying things like that to their boss!" said Hermione, but she too looked very upset. "As long as Hagrid keeps his head this time, and argues his case properly, they can't possibly execute Buckbeak. . ."

Tilly rolled eyes, shifting her back upon her shoulder.

"Okay Hermione, I'm going to stop you right there because you and I both know that is far from what is actually going to happen," said Tilly, standing from the bench. "Besides, I've got an exam that needs to be taken before lunch is over."

Crawling up the ladder and into the classroom, Tilly met with Professor Trelawney for her last session with her. As much as she disliked Divinations and the way that Trelawney taught her class, Tilly continued taking the class and showing up to her lessons to be ahead of the rest of the Third years.

The tower room was hotter than ever before; the curtains were closed, and the fire was alight, and the usual sickly scent made Tilly cough as she stumbled through the clutter of chairs and tables to where Professor Trelawney sat waiting for her before a large crystal ball.

"Good day, my dear," she said softly. "If you would kindly gaze into the Orb. . . Take your time now. . . then tell me what you see within it. . ."

With an eye roll Tilly bent over the crystal ball and stared, stared as hard as she could, willing it to show her something other than swirling white fog, but nothing seemed to be happening for Tilly.

"Well?" Professor Trelawney prompted delicately. "What do you see?"

The heat was overpowering and her nostrils were stinging with the perfumed smoke wafting from the fire beside them. She was beginning to become angry and impatient.

"Absolutely nothing," said Matilda, angrily. "Perhaps I'm not a true seer, maybe I'm incapable of seeing what is truly there!?"

"Nonsense," said Professor Trelawney, comfortingly. "You're Matilda Winters and from what I have heard from other Professors, Matilda Winters is one of the rare wizards who is capable of anything—Dumbledore especially believes that!"

Tilly looked up to Professor Trelawney with wide eyes.

"Try again," urged Trelawney. "Just once more."

For the second time, Tilly bent over the crystal ball and stared, she tried to stay relaxed and something inside of the foggy glass ball. Her eyes began to widen as a picture began to come through the white fog.

"What do you see?" whispered Professor Trelawney.

"I see—" started Matilda. "Something blue — it looks like a flame — A blue flame in the Great Hall. . . Dumbledore's there too, the whole school is."

Tilly could hear Professor Dumbledore's voice, but she wasn't able to make out what he was saying. Everything was muffled as if he was standing far away from her and still talking in his normal voice.

"Indeed!" whispered Professor Trelawney, scribbling keenly on the parchment perched upon her knees. "My dear, you may well be seeing events that take place in another school year! Look closer. . . Does the Orb show you anything else?"

"It's different now, everyone is outside—Harry?" asked Tilly. She was confused, why would Harry be in her vision? "I see Harry, he's with me!"

"Are you positive that's what you see?" Professor Trelawney urged so she'd look further.

Tilly only nodded.

"It looks like he's crying—I think he might be hurt!" Tilly began to panic as she seen further. "Something bad has happened to him! What happened to Harry?!"

Unlike Dumbledore's muffled voice, Tilly could hear Harry's desperate sobs very clearly, it was almost as if everything was happening right in front of her. He was screaming and he looked scared and hurt, but Tilly didn't know how to help him and that killed her.

"I'm finished!" said Tilly standing from her chair so quickly that it slid back across the floor. "I can't — I don't want to see anymore!"

Professor Trelawney looked up at Matilda stunned. She had never had a student not want to see what is to happen in their future before.

"Well then," coughed Professor Trelawney. "We'll just leave it there. . . You performed quite well, Miss Winters."

Relieved, Matilda turned on her heels, picked up her bag and left the classroom. She hoped that what had happened in there wouldn't affect the way she performs in her Charms exam.

"And Matilda," said Professor Trelawney, stopping her before she was able to leave. "Don't take what you have seen today lightly, it could become very important to you later on."

Tilly climbed back down the ladder and the spiral staircase, wondering. . . had she really just seen moments that'll take place in the future? Or had it been something created out of her imagination, just because she had been focusing so hard on needing to something?

"Oi, Tilly!" she heard Ron yell for her from somewhere along the corridor. "Did you just come from Professor Trelawney's exam?"

Ron and Harry had now found their way to Tilly and was standing before her.

"Yes," answered Tilly shortly, pulling her bag farther up onto her small shoulder. "Why do you ask?"

"What is the crazy woman testing us on?" he asked frantically. "Is it the bloody tea, again?"

"No. It's just—it's a load of rubbish is what it is," said Tilly, glancing over at Harry. "I should go, I've got a Charms exam in a few!"

When Matilda walked past them only offering a small wave the two boys gave each other confused looks. It wasn't like Matilda not to rant to them about Professor Trelawney's rubbish predictions and her impractical teaching skills. They knew something was wrong, but they also knew not to press her on it.

Professor Flitwick did indeed test them on Cheering Charms. Tilly performed hers perfectly, and Padma, who she had partnered with, ended up having a nice laugh. Padma, also performed the charm quite well allowing Tilly to forget about what happened with Professor Trelawney during her Divinations exam.

After finishing her exam in Charms, Tilly went ahead for the Great Hall in order to have some time to herself to clear her head. People were striding past her in the halls, laughing and joking, heading for the grounds and a bit of long-awaited freedom. but unfortunately, she had only gotten about a minute or two of peace Hermione and Ron came rushing in towards her. Ron held a piece of folded parchment in his hand.

"Tilly," said Ron frantically, trying to catch his breath. He and Hermione had run there all the way from the Gryffindor Tower. "Can you do something about this?"

Ron slammed the note down on the table and Tilly picked it up curiously.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset.

Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

Hagrid

Hagrid's not was dry this time, no tears had splattered it, yet his hand seemed to have shaken so much as he wrote that it was hardly legible.

"Ronald," said Tilly as she laid the note back onto the table. She didn't need to see those words again. "Why do you expect I have the authority to do anything about this decision?"

Ron shrugged, as he began pacing back and forth.

"Well, I dunno," said Ron, raising his hands dramatically into the air. "Maybe you can talk to Dumbledore about this, everyone in the school knows you can persuade the man into doing anything you ask of him."

Ron's assumption was correct but there's nothing more that Dumbledore could do, he's tried everything.

"Don't you think I've talked to Dumbledore about this already, Ron?" asked Matilda. "Dumbledore and I have gone over every possible solution, but his authority only goes so far, his hands are tied!"

"Then I say we get rid of Lucius Malfoy!" suggested Ron.

He stopped pacing and looked at Matilda with a fierceness in his eyes. He was serious about what he was saying.

"Ron," said Matilda with slightly piqued interest. "Are you suggesting we murder Lucius Malfoy?"

After seeing that Tilly might actually be considering Ron's proposal, Hermione quickly jumped in.

"No!" she said firmly. "We are not going to kill anyone—not even Lucius Malfoy. We just need to be there for Hagrid!"

"You wouldn't have to be there if we decided to do so," said Matilda, turning to Hermione. "Besides I'm sure no one important will miss Lucius Malfoy, most people might be relieved at his long-term absence."

Ron nodded with a smile on his face.

"Matilda!"

Just as Tilly went to reply to Hermione's scorn, Harry burst into the Great Hall, breathing heavily with a look of urgency on his face.

"Professor Trelawney," Harry panted, "just told me—"

Tilly looked up at him as he stopped abruptly, looking at the three sullen faces.

"Buckbeak's lost," said Tilly, sliding the note on over to Harry. "Hagrid sent this."

Harry picked up the piece of wrinkled parchment and began to read Hagrid's scribbly handwriting.

"We've got to go," said Harry at once. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"

"Sunset, though," said Hermione, who was looking down at the wooden table in a glazed sort of way. "We'd never be allowed. . . especially you Harry."

Harry sunk his head into his hands, thinking.

"If only we had the Invisibility Cloak. . ."

Matilda sighed dramatically as she looked to Harry.

"Where is it?" asked Hermione.

Harry told her about leaving it in the passageway under the one-eyed witch.

". . . if Snape sees me anywhere near there again, I'm in serious trouble," he finished.

"That's true," said Hermione, laying her chin on the palm of her hand with a defeated sigh.

"I suppose I'll be the one to retrieve it then," said Tilly with a long and annoyed sigh. "I already know where to find the Cloak and how to open the witch's hump."

"I'll go with you," said Ron quickly.

"No," said Tilly, turning to him quickly causing him to back away from her. "If Professor Snape sees you with me, he'll definitely become suspicious and you'll get into trouble too!"

Ron looked at Tilly confused.

"And you don't believe that if he sees you there, he won't suspect anything?" asked Ron. "You were also in trouble with Harry that day!"

Tilly rolled her eyes.

"You forget that I'm a proud teacher's pet," said Tilly with a proud grin. "Snape can do nothing to me when I have Dumbledore in my corner."

Tilly didn't wait for Ron to argue any further; she strode across the room, pushed open the large Great Hall doors and vanished from sight.

"I hope the two of you know that we're incredibly lucky she's on our side," said Hermione as Tilly left the three of them sitting in the Great Hall. "Because we'd be in so much trouble if not."

Harry scoffed, nodding his head in agreement.

"Trust me," said Harry. "I know that."

On the way to the room containing the one-eyed witch nothing of importance happened. Even Professor Snape was nowhere to be found on her way there.

"Dissendium!"

Said, Tilly, as she tapped the witch's hump with her wand. It opened up and below she could see Harry's cloak laying on the dirt pathway. Tilly stepped in there to retrieve the Cloak, then quickly climbed out making sure there was no evidence of her being there. Before leaving the room with the one-eyed witch she covered herself with the cloak and started making her way back to the Great Hall.

Tilly was smart to cover herself with the Invisibility Cloak because on her way back to the Great Hall Snape passed her by, barely grazing her. Once he was safely past her and his black cloak swayed in the opposite direction of the way she was headed, Tilly stuck her tongue out at the greasy-headed Professor.

A quarter of an hour later Tilly returned with the silvery cloak folded carefully under her robes.

"Tilly you've been absolutely amazing!" said Ron, astounded. "You've really outdone yourself this year—"

Matilda looked rather flattered.

. . .

The four of them had dinner with everybody else but did not return to their common rooms afterward. Harry had the cloak hidden down the front of his robes; he had to keep his arms folded to hide the lump. They skulked in an empty chamber off the entrance hall, listening, until they were sure it was deserted. They heard the last pair of people hurrying across the hall and a door slamming. Hermione poked her head around the door.

"Okay," she whispered, "no one there—cloak on—"

They had to walk very close together so no one would see them. Tilly happened to be squished tightly in-between Harry and Ron. They crossed the hall on tiptoe beneath the cloak, then walked down the stone front steps into the grounds. The sun was already sinking behind the Forbidden Forest, gilding the top branches of the trees.

They reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked. He was a minute in answering, and when he did, he looked all around for his visitor, pale-faced and trembling.

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn't of come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back, and they stepped inside. Hagrid shut the door quickly and Tilly was the first to rip off the cloak, rushing over to Hagrid and wrapping her small arms around his large body.

When Tilly pulled back Hagrid was not crying. He looked like a man who did not know where he was or what to do. This helplessness was worse to watch than tears.

"Want some tea?" he said. His great hands were shaking as he reached for the kettle.

"Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?" said Tilly hesitantly.

"I — I took him outside," said Hagrid, spilling milk all over the table as he filled the jug. "He's tethered in me pumpkin patch. Thought, he oughta see the trees an' — an' smell fresh air — before—"

Hagrid's hand trembled so violently that the milk jug slipped from his grasp and shattered all over the floor.

"I'll do it, Hagrid," said Hermione quickly, hurrying over and starting to clean up the mess.

"There's another one in the cupboard," Hagrid said, sitting down and wiping his forehead on his sleeve. Harry glanced at Matilda who looked back hopelessly.

"Isn't there anything anyone can do, Hagrid?" Harry asked fiercely, sitting down next to him. "Dumbledore —"

"He's tried," said Tilly. "Dumbledore has got no power to overrule the Committee. I'm sure he's tried telling them all how great Buckbeak is, but the Committee's scared, I expect that Lucius Malfoy threatened them."

There had been multiple Thursdays that Tilly had spent talking with Dumbledore about Buckbeak's trial and he wanted nothing more than to keep that beautiful creature alive, but when fear has taken over a group of people, they don't listen to proper arguments, they tend to act on impulse.

"An' the executioner is, Macnair, he's an old pal o' Malfoy's. . . but it'll be quick an' clean. . . an I'll be beside him. . ."

Hagrid swallowed. His eyes were darting all over the cabin as though looking for some shred of hope or comfort.

"Dumbledore's gonna come down while it—while it happens. Wrote me this morning. Said he wants ter—ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore. . ."

Hermione, who had been rummaging in Hagrid's cupboard for another milk jug, let out a small, quickly stifled sob. She straightened up with the new jug in her hands, fighting back tears.

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," said Tilly, but Hagrid shook his shaggy head.

"Yeh're ter go back up ter the castle. I told yeh, I don't want yeh watchin'. An' yeh shouldn't be down here anyway. . . If Fudge an' Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, Tilly, yeh'll be in big trouble."

"I'm not worried about getting into trouble, Hagrid," said Tilly, rolling her eyes at the thought of Fudge or Dumbledore trying to punish her. "We just want to make sure you'll be okay after—well after it happens."

Silent tears were now streaming down Hermione's face, but she hid them from Hagrid, bustling around making tea. Then, as she picked up the milk bottle to pour some into the jug, she let out a shriek.

"Ron! I—I don't believe it—it's Scabbers!"

Ron gaped at her.

"What are you talking about?"

Hermione carried the milk jug over to the table and turned it upside down. With a frantic squeak and much more scrambling to get back inside, Scabbers the rat came sliding out onto the table.

"Scabbers!" said Ron blankly. "Scabbers, what are you doing here?"

He grabbed the struggling rat and held him up to the light. Scabbers looked dreadful. He was thinner than ever, large tufts of hair had fallen out leaving wide bald patches, and he writhed in Ron's hands as though desperate to free himself.

"It seems as if he doesn't want you holding him," said Tilly, watching from behind Ron's shoulder. "Maybe he's liked his freedom?"

"It's okay, Scabbers!" said Ron. "No cats! There's nothing here to hurt you!"

Hagrid suddenly stood up, his eyes fixed on the window. His normally ruddy face had gone the color of parchment.

"They're comin'. . ."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Tilly whipped around. A group of men was walking down the distant castle steps. In front was Albus Dumbledore, his silver beard gleaming in the dying sun. Next to him trotted Cornelius Fudge. Behind them came the feeble, old Committee member and the executioner, Macnair.

"Yeh gotta go," said Hagrid. Every inch of him was trembling. "They mustn't find yeh here. . . Go now. . ."

Ron stuffed Scabbers into his pocket and Hermione picked up the cloak.

"I'll let yeh out the back way," said Hagrid.

They followed him to the door into his back garden. Tilly felt strangely unreal, and even more so when she saw Buckbeak a few yards away, tethered to a tree behind Hagrid's pumpkin patch. Buckbeak seemed to know something was happening. He turned his sharp head from side to side and pawed the ground nervously.

"It's okay, Beaky," said Hagrid softly. "It's okay. . ." He turned to Harry, Ron, Matilda, and Hermione. "Go on," he said. "Get goin."

But they didn't move.

"Hagrid, we can't —"

Hermione shook her head as the tears spilled down her cheeks.

"We'll tell them what really happened —"

Promised Harry.

"They can't kill him —"

Ron said with a look of hopelessness.

"Can we just let him free —"

"Go!" said Hagrid fiercely. "It's bad enough without you lot in trouble an' all!"

They had no choice. As Hermione threw the cloak over Harry, Ron, and Matilda, they heard voiced at the front of the cabin. Hagrid looked at the place where they had just vanished from sight.

"Go quick," he said hoarsely. "Don't listen. . ."

And he strode back into his cabin as someone knocked at the front door.

Slowly, in a kind of horrified trance, Harry, Ron, Matilda, and Hermione set off silently around Hagrid's house. As they reached the other side, the front door closed with a sharp snap.

"Please, let's hurry," Hermione whispered. "I can't stand it, I can't bear it. . ."

They started up the sloping lawn toward the castle. The sun was sinking fast now; the sky had turned to a clear, purple-tinged grey, but to the west, there was a ruby-red glow.

Ron stopped dead.

"Is everything alright?" asked Tilly.

"It's Scabbers — he won't — stay put —"

"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.

Ron was bent over, trying to keep Scabbers in his pocket, but the rat was going berserk; squeaking madly, twisting and flailing, trying to sink his teeth into Ron's hand.

"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," Ron hissed.

They heard a door open behind them and men's voices.

"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Hermione breathed.

"Okay — Scabbers, stay put —"

They walked forward, like Hermione, was trying not to listen to the rumble of voices behind them. Ron stopped again.

"I can't hold him — Scabbers, shut up, everyone'll hear us —"

"Bloody hell, Ronald," scolded Tilly. "Let the rat go!"

The rat was squealing wildly, but not loud enough to cover up the sounds drifting from Hagrid's garden. There was a jumble of indistinct male voices, a silence, and then, without warning, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.

"They did it!" Hermione whispered to Harry. "I d—don't believe it—they did it!"

Tilly allowed for a small sob to escape from her mouth and she turned into Ron burying her head into his shoulder and gripping tightly onto his wool sweater. A surprised and sullen Ron softly placed a hand on Matilda's upper back in hopes to help comfort her.

It hit the four them like a ton of bricks, there was nothing they could've done to have saved Buckbeak.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 133 22
โ›๐—œ'๐—น๐—น ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ถ๐—น๐—น ๐—บ๐˜† ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜€๐˜ ๐—ฏ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ต'๐˜€ ๐—ด๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.โœ ยฉ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ— ๐—ช๐—ถ๐—น๐—น๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ: ๐Ÿ• ๐——๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ— ๐—˜๐—ป๐—ฑ...
1.4K 21 13
๐‘ฏ๐’Š๐’Ž ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ฐ ๐’‚๐’๐’˜๐’‚๐’š๐’” "๐—ฌ๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—บ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ฟ๐˜‚๐—ฒ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ, ๐—›๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐˜†. ๐—ก๐—ผ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜, ๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด." ๐—›๐—ฒ...
350K 4.2K 67
draco x reader. โžฅ COMPLETED
11.8K 296 23
โ†ณ โ ๐™ด๐š…๐™ด๐™ฝ ๐™ฐ๐™ต๐šƒ๐™ด๐š ๐™ฐ๐™ป๐™ป ๐šƒ๐™ท๐™ธ๐š‚ ๐šƒ๐™ธ๐™ผ๐™ด? โž๐Ÿน เผŠ*ยทหš โš– โ ๐™ฐ๐™ป๐š†๐™ฐ๐šˆ๐š‚.. โž โ†ฒ ๐—ต.๐—ฝ. ๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜€.