Babysitter to the God of Misc...

By asavagejoy

BOOK ONE OF THE PROPHECY SERIES Dahlia is used to not being noticed, enjoying being invisible to those aroun... More

Little Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
* Sequel *

Chapter Six

10K 379 287
By asavagejoy

I woke up in the middle of the night, a piercing yelling breaking through the silence of my room. I threw myself out of my bed, wrapping my arms around the thin nightgown. I tiptoed around the doorframe, peering through the darkness to try and find out what the noise was. The room fell quiet, then the scream sounded again. I jumped as I saw it came from Loki's bed.

I darted into the room, and pulled the drape back to see Loki thrashing against the bed, beads of sweat pooling at his forehead.

"Loki? Loki, its Dahlia, you need to wake up." I hesitated as I stood by his head, unsure of what to do.

He began panting, as if he was struggling to breathe. "Loki, Loki it's okay. Everything's okay, you just need to wake up." I held a hand over his face, not quite prepared to touch him. It's not that I didn't want to wake him up - I did - but it felt wrong to touch him whilst he was sleeping.

But before I could make up my mind his fingers found my wrist, digging in as they pulled my arm down. He began to scream again, his breath cold against my hand, chilling me to the bone. I tried to pull away but he sat up, his eyes snapping open, his breathing fast and shaky.

"Loki, Loki its me - your maid, Dahlia. You were shouting you..." I trailed off as he pushed himself to his feet, my arm still trapped in his. He pushed me against the wall, his tall body towering over mine.

"Loki?" His eyes stared down at me, shining an almost unnatural blue in the moonlight. His spare hand moved from his side to my neck, gently squeezing before he yanked me off my feet. I tugged at his hand, my nails scratching his skin in a desperate attempt for him to let go.

"Loki-" I gasped, feeling the air being pushed out of my body. "Loki! Loki I can't... I can't breathe... breathe... lo-" I could feel myself losing a grip on reality as black spots invaded my vision. My eyes rolled slightly as I felt my body giving up.

***

~Third persons POV~

Loki could feel a sharp pain in his head before he snapped his eyes open, the sensation dulling into a throbbing that pounded against his skull. He squeezed his eyes shut, but slowly opened them as he felt the stone floor beneath him rather than the softness of his bed.

It took a second for him to adjust as he tried to focus on his sight rather than the pain. But he thought he was still in his dream as he saw a small, slumped shape pressed against the wall.

He stealthily crept over, before realising with a jolt of panic that it was Dahlia. Her hair was knotted from sleep, but no breathing was audible from her. It was when Loki approached, gently grazing his fingers across her shoulder in a weak attempt to wake her, that he noticed deep red scratches along her throat. As his hand caught the sliver of light, he noticed fainter scratches against his own hand, in jagged lines across his knuckles.

The pain suddenly returned, doubling him over as he held in a scream. He couldn't recall what had happened to cause Dahlia to lie by his bed in such a state, but worry began flowing through him at the thought that it was he who caused her the pain.

Gently lifting her in his arms, he lowered her body into his bed. Her head rolled back, letting Loki inspect the marks along her neck. He breathed a sleeping enchantment over her, before letting his magic slowly heal her wounds. Holding his breath, he waited, until he saw Dahlias small body rise and fall, showing she was breathing normally again. A flicker of pain crossed her features, causing Loki to study her face.

He peeled her sweat covered hair away from her face, stroking it back so she wouldn't feel so hot. He covered the sleeping girl in his royal bedsheets, and when he was happy she was sleeping and healing, he ran himself a quick bath.

Unable to bring himself to carry the young girl back to her own rooms, Loki reluctantly stepped into her small bedroom. He wrinkled his nose at the size of her bed, her sheets nowhere near as good a quality as his. But he found himself wrapping himself in them, his nose buried in the pillow as he drifted back to an uneasy sleep.

***

Dahlia found herself waking, fully relaxed and prepared for her day of work. She rolled slightly, desperately trying to cling to her dream just as it slipped from memory, and she reluctantly opened her eyes, blinking several times as she adjusted to her surroundings.

It took no longer than a few seconds for Dahlias body to snap upright, as she scanned Loki's rooms, unable to come up with any reasonable explanation as to why she should be fast asleep in his bed. She found her answer sitting in his armchairs, feet propped on the table as he flicked casually through one of his many books.

As Dahlia peeled back the sheets, startled at the state of her sweat covered nightdress, Loki rolled his head back, a cautious look in his eyes.

"Your highness, I..." when Dahlias eyes met his, she felt a sudden dizziness as memories of the night before flooded back to her. Loki jumped to his feet as Dahlia took a few staggered steps back, steadying herself on his bed frame.

"You look a lot better this morning Dahlia." His voice was gentle, soft as he tried to make himself sound friendly, for once.

Dahlia stroked her neck, confused when she couldn't feel any bruising. "Did I dream it?" She mumbled.

Loki stepped forward, a hand raised as he prepared an apology. "No, I'm afraid that it-"

"How come there's no bruise?" Dahlia looked up at him, as Loki stared, not quite believing his maid had cut him off as he was trying to be polite.

"I healed you."

Dahlia cocked an eyebrow, tilting her head to look at him, her fingers running up and down her neck. Admittedly she wasn't as old as Loki, but she had the experience of knowing how to tell when people were lying. The trick had come in handy on Earth, but she'd found little use for it on Asgard since she'd been appointed Loki's maid.

But she felt the urge to believe he had healed her. And while she wanted to continue her questioning to find out the reason behind her strangling the night before, Dahlia didn't want to cause trouble which may result in a punishment. And so she quietly accepted (or rather, hoped) that it must have been due to a night terror, and chose to drop her interrogation.

She nodded, her eyes flicking from the floor to Loki's as she smiled weakly. "Thank you. I know you didn't have to heal me."

Loki stood in silence, shocked by the lack of chatter from his maid. He'd begun to grow used to her talking, although he made a point of ignoring her more when they were in public so others wouldn't pick up on it. But Loki felt like he couldn't ignore the fact that she'd gone quiet now, especially as he had tried to kill her the night before.

But before he had the chance to apologise, Dahlia resumed her normal routine and spoke. "Would you like breakfast? I will need to change my clothes first, but then I can fetch it for you."

Loki shook his head, still studying the girl in front of him. She didn't look overly upset, or scared for that matter. Her smile had grown into a proper, if a little small, one. "I got us breakfast. I will wait - you can bathe and change then we'll eat."

Dahlia shook her head "that's very kind of you your highness, but I don't think I should-"

"Dahlia, go and clean yourself so we can eat." Loki paused, as he watched a faint blush creep over her features. "Please." Dahlia nodded quickly, bowing to the prince before scurrying to her small quarters.

"What plans do you have today, your highness?"

Loki finished the last sip from his goblet, before replying. "I'm going for a walk."

Dahlia nodded, then resumed making the bed, adjusting the covers and hanging the drapes neatly.

"Fetch your coat, we'll be leaving soon."

Dahlia looked up as Loki sauntered into the bathroom, and frowned. After last nights events she was sure he would want to avoid her today, especially as she probably hadn't reacted the way he would've expected her to. But she shook her head, finding her new coat hanging in her room, and let herself enjoy the feeling of wearing it.

She knew it was expensive, and even though Loki stressed it was for her work, she couldn't help but feel grateful to him for buying her such a beautiful piece of clothing.

It was the same grey as the fitted maids dresses, but thicker to protect from the sometimes harsh weather the approaching winter on Asgard would bring. The hood was lined with some kind of fur, the same for the cuffs, which hung just below the wrists. The main body was slightly fitted, but nowhere near tight enough to restrict movement. It was nice, but obviously a maids uniform, nothing more.

Dahlia was walking a step behind Loki like usual, beginning to get used to the long strides Loki took when he walked. His hands were clasped behind his back, his fingers locked together as he mused in thought. Every now and then he'd pause, turning around to make sure Dahlia was still with him, and would ask her opinion on certain matters.

These questions had confused Dahlia, especially when they were first asked. She didn't know what she should say when he spoke about the intricacies of Asgardian politics, nor about their relations with other realms. So she kept her responses to a small smile and a single nod of her head, finding that agreeing with him was often for the best.

"Brother!" Thor's voice was heard across the gardens, and Dahlia watched Loki stop in his tracks, the flower he'd been twiddling between his fingers splitting, as he crushed it, letting it fall to the ground.

She lifted her head up just in time to see Loki standing stiffly, being embraced by a particularly happy Thor.

Loki himself wasn't happy. He had been trying to see if Dahlia was actually upset, or if what had happened the night before hadn't really affected her. He was sure it must have had some impact - he had pushed her against a wall in an attempt to kill her after all.

Flashes of the previous night had returned to him as he woke in Dahlias bed, and it wasn't until after he'd dressed himself that he realised it hadn't been a dream. He had actually gripped Dahlias neck in his hand, and slammed her head against his wall.

She was quiet when he had spoken, and it had passed his mind that she was quiet because she wasn't interested in the details regarding Asgard's defence systems, but he hadn't reached the point where he wanted to discuss Midgardian topics. His nose wrinkled in disgust at the thought.

Thor had pulled him out of his thoughts by pulling him into a tight hug, Loki standing a little taller than normal to try and appear unfazed by Thor's attempts at friendliness. And of course it wasn't just Thor, but his band of merry men - the trio that trailed after him as if there were nothing they could do to occupy their time more wisely.

***

~Dahlia's POV~

I stayed quiet as Loki talked to Thor quietly. Thor hadn't spoken to me since he first 'found' me, and it angered me slightly that it was his fault I was even here. Nobody had mentioned the possibility of a return trip to Earth, and every time Heimdall was mentioned in conversation I made a point of listening. I'd learnt it was Heimdall who controls the bifrost, so if anyone could get me home it would be him.

"And you must be Loki's new maid, correct?" I looked up to see one of Thor's friends - Fandral, from the ball - smiling down at me. Remembering our first interaction with one another, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt - even though he'd been drunk I'm sure he's a nice guy. Everyone gets drunk now and then.

I nodded quickly, focusing back on Loki, who hadn't noticed Thor's friend approach me.

"Fandral is the name. And what's a beauty like yourself called?" He stuck his hand out, confidently holding it in the air as I slowly raised mine to his.

He gripped my hand and yanked me forward, but I managed to pull my hand back before he could get me any closer to him.

"I'm Dahlia, my lord."

"Dahlia," he dragged my name out, and it was all I could do to keep the look of disgust off my features. I managed to form a blank face as he continued. "I'm sure we have met before. But there's no way I could forget someone like you."

Dear lords, how was he this up himself? I could sense people listening - Thor and Loki were silent so I assumed they were watching.

"I mean, I feel this connection. Did I meet you on my last trip to Midgard? I was defending your planet, it's quite a good story actually." I looked up, and he stopped speaking as he caught my eyes.

I plastered the brightest smile on my face, intent on not breaking first. "We met briefly at the ball, my lord. But with the amount you'd drunk that evening, it's no wonder you don't remember me. Alcohol does terrible things to ones memory."

Fandrals face fell, his eyes darting from mine back to the group next to us. I tilted my head slightly as he swallowed, stumbling over his words. "Well, yes, you see... well - I was celebrating and..."

"Oh give up Fandral." I could hear Loki's eye roll in the tone of his voice, "she's Midgardian, not an idiot."

I bit my lip to stop the bubble of laughter escape my lips, as Fandral looked helplessly back at me. "It was nice meeting you Dahlia. Meeting you sober, I mean."

I smiled politely, taking a step back as I saw Loki walk around Thor, towards us. "You too, my lord."

I followed Loki down a narrow path, letting him lead me deeper into the forested gardens as the trees grew a little taller. He slowed, and I noticed we were hidden from view, vines and flowers growing up a crumbling stone wall, squares of flowers growing in brightly coloured groups, the dusty path separating the tiny yellow flowers to the fading blue ones.

I looked up from watching the flowers sway slightly in the breeze as I heard a snort of laughter sound above me.

Loki threw his head back, barking a laugh, his features relaxed as he freely expressed his joy. Seeing him this happy brought a smile to my own lips, and when he looked down at me, I could see his eyes twinkling with pure amusement.

"I can't believe you spoke to Fandral like that." A short laugh followed. "I don't think any woman has ever spoken to Fandral like that in his life."

I let my smile grow as Loki turned to face the wall, his head twisted to the side as he looked down at me. "I don't like drunk men. Even if they think they good intentions." While what I said was true, I didn't mean for it to sound as serious as it had come out as, and I felt a little uneasy to find Loki looking at me with sharp interest in his eyes.

"Do you have a history with drunkards?" His voice didn't hold accusation, just curiousness, but I stiffened all the same. I'm not a huge fan of talking about the past, and feelings and such.

"A brief history." I fixed my gaze on a single flower in my eye line. The centre of the flower was a bright blue, the petals blending from bright yellow to deep pink tips. I'd never seen one before, and I could feel myself slowly being sucked into its beauty.

"Did they harm you?" I could only just hear Loki, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I just shrugged, letting my eyes dance from petal to petal.

"I am a prince, you know. I could have them killed." I couldn't help the small smile that flashed across my lips.

"Now, nearly being killed by you. That is something I have experience with."

Loki stared at me as I grinned up at him. "How can you joke about that? Your life was at risk and-"

I shook my head "I don't think it was your fault, your highness. Forgive my speaking out of term, but I think it was a night terror, or something of the sort. I don't think you would've killed me."

Loki narrowed his brows "I don't know... I think I could have."

I turned to face him properly, "if you'd wanted to kill me by now you would've done. There were plenty of chances to."

"Oh really? Maybe I was just biding my time, making it appear an accident."

I flicked my eyes up to his in surprise, but caught the teasing look in them. "Oh God of Mischief, you could wave your wand and make it look like an accident. No, I believe if you wanted to kill me last night, then you would have."

Loki suddenly stepped forward, his hand holding onto my shoulder as I attempted to take a step back. "At least let me apologise. But if it ever happens again I need you to promise me you'll get Eir. She's the head healer. It's not your place to have to deal with those terrors."

I felt a small surge of confidence build as I heard the vulnerability break in Loki's speech. I gently placed my hand over his, keeping it in place even though I felt him freeze, and after a moment I let myself smile as I could feel him relax.

"Your highness, I'm your maid. It's my duty to be there for you at all times - including the night. And... I know it's not my place to say, but if you do ever feel the need to talk about anything... I will listen:"

We stood in silence, and I gently lowered my hand, aware of our sudden proximity to one another. Loki seemed to notice too, as he slowly stepped away, nodding almost to himself as he turned to face the wall.

"I wouldn't have done it like that anyway."

I blinked, looking up at him as he kept his eyes trained on a small flower on the edge of the crumbling wall.

"Done what, like what?"

He smiled as he looked at me "strangle you. If I were to kill you it would be much more efficient to poison you. Some poisons are completely untraceable."

He took a step away as he began walking out of the hidden spot, weaving our way slowly but surely back to the palace.

"Why not a knife? That would be almost instant. That's how I would kill you. A simple stroke across the neck and that would be it."

I caught a smirk on Loki's face as he considered my reply. "Maybe, but there is a flaw in your plan." His eyes scanned me from head to toe, "I don't think you'd be able to reach my neck."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 2.7K 21
"Don't worry. I can feel it too.," A forced marriage. A sacrifice for her people. A war. And then there's Loki. The annoying, sarcastic, self-absorb...
3.3K 294 16
Driven by an insatiable yearning for personal happiness, Loki succumbed to the depths of his desires and set in motion a plan to reclaim what he beli...
10.3K 257 13
(y/n) is a humble maid of Asgard, cleaning and tidying rooms, and attending to the general of the Asgardian Army. But, she's clumsy. When she bumps i...
1.3K 92 20
Use to be called - Emotionless? Have to Be _____________ What would Loki's life be like if he held on to the staff instead of letting go to fall into...