Different Is Good

By steviesdove

Stevie Nicks meets Lindsey Buckingham, a new student at her school... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter eleven (part 2)
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Fifteen 2
Sixteen
Sixteen 2
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty one part 2
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Five
Thirty Six

Thirty Four

127 5 0
By steviesdove

Stevie kissed Sara's head as she bounced her softly. She had visited Lindsey three times a week for the past three weeks and is was taking a toll on her mentally and physically. Her back and ankles gave her trouble as sitting in a car for hours did not agree with being pregnant. Seeing Lindsey lifeless and dull put a massive emotional toll on her
All she wanted to do was to see him free. He was doped up on god knows what to keep him docile and compliant. Oh if he could speak, the things he would tell her! Stevie had to form a plan, but his parents truly believed what they were doing was right. As she looked down at her daughter in her arms, she told herself she had to fight even harder. There would be two babies soon and she wanted, no, needed Lindsey to come home so they could be a family.

"Dada...?" Sara questioned, her eyes focused on her mother's.

"Soon, baby." Stevie pressed her daughter to her chest.
"Teedee," Barbara knocked on her door and opened it, "Gloria is here."

"Mama, I have to go see Lindsey soon. I don't have time."

"Stevie you have to take care of yourself. I will not allow you to neglect your child."
Stevie huffed, mentally preparing herself to see her midwife. Maybe she could hurry it along so she could get on the road.

"Alright, send her in," Stevie said. She placed her daughter down on the floor to play and she sat on the bed.
"Hello!" Gloria smiled brightly, "how are you?!"
"I'm great!" Stevie lied. "How are you?" Gloria answered but she didn't really listen. The midwife opened her bag of instruments, taking out a blood pressure cuff. She fastened it around the younger woman's arm and pumped the bulb a couple of times, trying to get a reading.
"You're blood pressure is a little on the high side," Gloria commented, "we want to keep that down given your past history."

"I'll try...but it's hard with Lindsey gone. I constantly worry over everything."
"Ahh...I knew something was wrong," Gloria said, giving her a comforting smile. "Let's talk about that? Getting it off your chest might reduce your stress."

"Actually, I'm going to go see him today."
"I can't function without him anymore...I constantly worry about him and if he is happy. I want him to come home to me and help me with the kids..."
"If you don't mind my asking, where is he staying?" Gloria asked. She has many friends who are doctors, nurses and surgeons, not just other midwives. She remembered Barbara mentioning a hospital, but not which one.
"The state hospital...where they take the crazy people...but my Lindsey isn't crazy. He just gets upset."
"The state facility is almost as high security as a prison. Why was he placed there? Are his parents getting reports?"
"No they aren't. Lindsey started to have outbursts and his parents tried to calm him, Ruth tripped and fell and broke her wrist...the police thought Lindsey did it and locked him up!"
"Oh my goodness...when does his evaluation come up? Has he made any improvement since being there?"
"He's been there for three weeks! They won't tell me anything! They give him sedatives and he just sits in a hair by the window all day!"
"I had a feeling you'd say that. I'll give your mother the phone number to a really great doctor. He has an in there and I think he might be able to help." Gloria said and Stevie felt as if this might be her answered prayer.
"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Stevie wrapped her arms around Gloria
"You're so welcome. Make sure she passes the phone number to Lindsey's parents."

"I will! Gosh, you're a life saver!" Stevie smiled for the first time since Lindsey had been gone.
"Now let's take a look at this baby, Alright?"

"Okay," Stevie sat back
Stevie made herself comfortable on her bed and Gloria took out her cloth measuring tape, making sure the baby was growing properly. She would then check the measurement against the gestational week. She pressed down a little to get an accurate fundal measurement.
"Does everything look okay?" She asked, knowing that the stress did not help her situation.

"Everything seems fine."
"Really?" Stevie sat up on her elbows.

Gloria smiled. "It's normal to worry but everything looks greats. Your numbers are matching up. I can have a quick listen with the pinard horn. I can confirm a strong heartbeat for you before I go."

"That would be wonderful," Stevie found relief in that, wanting to tell Lindsey all about their healthy growing baby when she saw him.
"So do you have any feeling of what this one might be?" Gloria asked as she pulled out the horn

"I think it's a boy, but I'm scared to tell Lindsey that. He doesn't think that he could do a good job at teaching them how to do "manly" things."
"I think every man worries about that, but if you think about it they worry about protecting a daughter and knowing what to do when they ask questions about their body. Men freak out either way. Once the baby gets here, he's going to love it either way. I could tell the first time that he was an excellent man."

"He is, he really is," Stevie said, smiling at the memory of how great Lindsey was during the birth of their daughter. He was scared at first but he was her biggest support.
"We'll get him out of there, Stevie," Gloria assured her, "he'll be right there with you."
"I really hope you're right." Stevie said sadly. Gloria pressed the instrument to her belly and listened to the heartbeat, clear as day. Gloria smiled.

"And just what I thought, perfectly strong heartbeat."
"I'm so glad, I haven't been taking care of myself," Stevie admitted

"Let me handle the Lindsey situation. You take care of the kids."
"I can't thank you enough" Stevie said, a tear escaping the corner of her eye.

"Just take care of yourself, and I will keep you updated. You won't have to do this alone."
"Thank you so much, Gloria," Stevie hugged her as she wrapped up their time together. She showed her out and turned to her mother. "I have to go give this number to Lindsey's parents!"
"What is it for?"

"It's a doctor that can help. He works closely with the hospital and I think they will help him come home." There was a light in her eyes that hadn't been there in weeks, and Barbara gave her a warm smile.

"Alright, dear. Give the number to his parents then come right back. I don't what you to miss visiting hours."
"Okay!" Stevie sounded like an excited child before basically jogging over to the Buckingham house to give them the news
She was a bundle of nerves and excitement as she approached her door. She rapped three times, impatiently waiting for someone to answer.
"Stevie, what brings you here?" Morris asked
She caught her breath. "Well, I had a midwife appointment and she gave me the name and number of a wonderful doctor." He stared at her. "For Lindsey."

"He has doctors, Stevie. He's in a hospital that's taking care of him."
"No, they are just feeding him sedatives and locking him in a room. This doctor can actually help him!"
Morris pinched the bridge of his nose. "Come in. Let's show it to Ruth and see what she thinks." Stevie nodded and stepped inside.
"Stevie, are the babies okay?" She asked always fearing the worst when she saw her future daughter in law
"Yes, yes, everything's great, I just finished with the midwife and we talked about Lindsey and his stay at the state hospital. Turns out she knows an incredible doctor that could help us." Stevie said excitedly.
"Help how?" Ruth asked

"He can help us get him out!" Stevie smiled
"Stevie, he can't get him out. He needs the care there. He has outbursts, he could hurt himself or others." Ruth said, looking to her husband for his opinion.
"I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. You have turned your back on him while he is being mistreated. He is still your son," Stevie said firmly
"He is my son, and as his mother, I believe he needs the treatment he is being given."

"Ruth, I think we should give it a shot. If this doctor sees him as a threat, he will stay but we could have our boy back." Morris said. "Don't you miss him?"
"Of course I miss him, but I'm scared that he will grow worse if he is not treated."

"Being sedated and turning into a vegetable is not treatment," Stevie argued
"Wh-what?" Ruth's expression changed.

"Did you not know that's what they've been doing?"

"I knew medication was part of the treatment but in their letters, they said the patients were allowed exercise, and other activities based on ability."

"That's not happening." Stevie told her, a grave expression on her face.
"What's happening?"

"They just let him sit in a chair and stare at nothing all day."
"Everyday?"

"Everyday I'm there and I go three times a week!"

His mother looked horrified, tears filling her eyes. "I'll call."
"Thank you. I'm going to see him," Stevie said
"Now?" Ruth asked, delicately patting her tears away.

"Yes. Is there anything you'd like me to tell him? I talk to him for as long as I'm allowed, until they make me leave."
"That I love him and that I'm going to get him out of there," Ruth said

"I will. He'll be home soon."
Ruth pulled Stevie into a hug. "Thank you, Stevie."

"You're welcome. See you both soon."

"Yes, please do, and bring our grand baby. I bet she has grown like a weed since we last saw her," Morris said.

"I will bring her to visit you all. She's too young to be let in the hospital though," Stevie explained

"Take care," Morris nodded towards
Her
"I will."

Morris walked her toward the door but stopped her. He pulled her into his arms and closed his eyes, speaking barely above a whisper. "You are the very best thing that could have ever happened to our boy. Thank you for taking care of him."

Stevie stayed strong, not wanting to get emotional right before she had to be alert and clear headed to make the journey to the hospital. "Thank you, Morris."

He let her go and she walked back to her house, a small smile on her face. Things were going to change for she and her family. She just knew it. 

Stevie told her mother and Sara goodbye before getting in the car and making her way to the state hospital. "You ready to see Daddy?" She rubbed her bump as she drove into the parking lot

"Here to see Lindsey?" The receptionist asked, receiving a nod from Stevie. She knew the way to his room by heart
She walked down the hall as quickly as possible, not wanting to listen to the soft groans coming from the locked doors or even look at the harsh grey walls. She pushed the door open and he sat there by the window as usual.

"Honey, I'm here. It's me...Stevie."
His head rolled her way, his eyes lighting up and saying what words couldn't. She kissed his lips and forehead before scooting a chair up next to him.

"I hope that you have had a good day. I know that I have. Gloria came by today and the baby is healthy, she also knows a doctor that will be able to help up get you out of here," Stevie rambled
He tried to lift his head and she took his hand in hers. "There's hope, Lindsey. Don't give up."
She kissed his cheek and smiled brightly, "Then we can be a family again. I miss you so much."
He made an effort to move closer, longing to show her the affection she deserved. "I can't wait until you get home. I've had dreams about it almost every night since you've been gone. I imagine us swimming together or having dinner...I know it all sounds very domestic, but that's what I want, Linds. More than anything."

"L-luh, love you." he mumbled. He was trying to hard and she smiled at him, stroking his face.

"I love you too, baby."
He gave her a grin and puckered his lips for a kiss which Stevie gladly accepted, "You seem better today."
He nodded a little. "I guess they haven't given you much medicine today." She pushed a curl form his forehead, twirling it around her finger as she studied his still slack features. "That's good, huh."
He nodded, slumping forward and resting his head on her shoulder. "Just relax. I'm not going anywhere."
They sat together in silence for several long minutes, enjoying each other's company. He kissed her shoulder, and she wrapped her arms around him. He didn't smell like himself, he didn't wear his usual cologne, and he didn't use is normal soap. Still, it was comforting to be so close to him and be completely alone.
"I love you," she repeated to him, receiving a kiss on her neck instead of words in return
Her grip tightened on him, relaxing into his body. She longed to feel his arms around her, the strength of him embrace but she knew she would soon. She hoped Ruth called that doctor immediately. She couldn't bear another minute of him being stuck in the hospital.

"Your mother wanted me to tell you that she loves you and she misses you," she said softly.
He nodded, still angry with his parents. "They Do love you, Lindsey."
He grunted in frustration and she pulled herself away from him, hands on his shoulders as she looked into his eyes. "They love you, they just didn't know what to do. But now they're going to talk to a doctor who can help you, us...and you will come home."
Lindsey nodded once more, "Okay..." she kissed his cheek

"We are going to bring you home!" She played with his hair
He wanted to be hopeful but all the hope vanished as the nurse entered the room. Stevie sighed, her shoulders slumping.

"Medicine," the nurse announced. It was the rude nurse she had met the first time she came to the hospital to see Lindsey.
"He doesn't need them right now," Stevie said plainly

"Facility policy," the nurse replied
She couldn't stand hearing those words. Stevie stood up from her chair. "Can it wait? I just want to talk to him a little longer before he's out like a light," Stevie's eyes pleaded with the nurse but no such luck.
"It's policy," she forced Lindsey to take the pills, which he did so with pain

"He's a human, treat him as such," Stevie stood
"He is a patient and I am doing my job, miss." Stevie bit the inside of her cheek, telling herself not to lose it on the women before her. She deemed the nurse unfit, callous and heartless. These patients needed car and comfort not bite force.

Stevie waited for the nurse to leave before reiterating what she had said to him before they were interrupted. "We will get that doctor to come see you and we WILL get you out of here."
Lindsey grinned before the medicine began to take its toll. Stevie leaned his head against her and let him rest. "I'll go see the doctor soon."
She sat there with him, his body becoming heavy against hers. He should be laying down in bed but she couldn't possibly get him there herself. She sighed, running her fingers though his curls.
"Sleep, baby," she kissed his head. The doctor entering the room to see them
The older man flipped through the papers on his clipboard and cleared his throat.

"Mr Buckingham, I see you have a visitor," he remarked. There was so warmth in his voice, his pale, piercing eyes staring holes into the couple. "Dr Shaw" He extended his hand toward Stevie and she shook it.
"Nice to meet you," Stevie shook his hand, "Are you friends with Gloria?"
A nasty smirk twisted his thin lips and he shook his head. "No, I don't run in those...circles."

Stevie's stomach knotted, a feeling of dread washing over her. "Have you been in charge of his care the whole time?"
"Yes I have, why?" The doctor answered

"So you're the man responsible for his condition? You're the one slamming him full of drugs?"
"I am doing what's best for him. Otherwise, he would have violent outbursts which got him here in the first place. You are much smaller than him, much weaker. A patient like him wouldn't know when to stop. Leaving you alone with him unmedicated could be fatal," the doctor reasoned but she knew otherwise.

"It's about keeping him compliant then, so you can bend him to your will? What other 'treatments' are you doing?"
"What ever I see fit at the time," he answered nonchalantly.

"As his wife I demand answers. Straight forward answers."
"You couldn't possibly understand. You're not a doctor, are you?" His attempts to belittle her did nothing but make her more determined to get the answers she deserved.

"Try me. I may not have some fancy degree like you but I'm pretty smart, and believe me, I have a very low tolerance for bullshit."
"I will not tolerate that kind of talk, especially from a little girl."

"I think it's my right to know what he is going through in his hell hole."
"Keep cursing to a minimum or I will have you escorted out by security, even in your condition."

She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Fine. Please explain to me, the best you can, what treatments you have recommended for him and what they're for. What have you diagnosed him with?"
"We have diagnosed him with PTSD, I think that his sedatives and a shock therapy should cure him."

"Shock therapy?"
"Yes, it's what we've switched to since lobotomy has fallen out of fashion," he chuckled and Stevie cringed, not finding his joke very funny at all. "Shock therapy is used in severe cases such as this. It's normal, routine...boring, even."

Her blood boiled. She hadn't let herself be devastated by it yet, and she couldn't until she got all of the information she could from him. "And you said 'should', it should cure him?"

"Yes, if we're lucky, and if not, we have many permanent residents that could keep him company."
"My Lindsey is going to come home with me."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that as he is a danger to society."
"I want to get a second opinion. If another doctor tells me the same thing, I will go through with his treatment, until then, I want him off the pills and I want the shock treatments stopped."

"I can't do that." he told her, standing firm. "The treatments continue." He left no room for argument.
"Can you just try? Maybe he's ready?"

"I've been in this game for a long time, he isn't ready until I say so."

"Every case is different. Lindsey is different," Stevie told him
"Everyone thinks their loved one is 'special' and 'different'," he said in a mocking tone, "but I can assure you, these cases are all the same. If you're so sure another doctor will deem him ready to stop treatment, bring them in. We will see who is right and who is wrong." He checked the chart again, scribbled something down then walked toward the door.
"I can assure you that I will be looking elsewhere," Stevie spat

"They'll Tell you the same thing, but good luck," he shut the door behind himself
Stevie sighed, touching Lindsey's hand. She hoped that by the next time she visited, the other doctor would know of his case. She didn't want Lindsey to endure any more of those terrible shock treatments, they would surely only make him worse. She sat with Lindsey a little longer, needing his comfort as she began to cry.
"I love you, Lindsey," she laid her head on his shoulder and kissed his neck. She missed his arms holding her and his voice telling her that it was okay.
She ran her fingers through his curls and wrapped her arms around him. "We're going to be fine. That doctor won't touch you anymore," she reassured herself as much as she spoke for Lindsey's benefit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 1.1K 35
(2018-current) Lindsey and Stevie drama and romance.
14K 932 24
A story about two successful businessmen and their very close families. But they're closer than they think. Early 90's.
14.1K 711 16
1984. Lindsey Buckingham, a rather famous solo artist, just releases a new album and goes on tour, when during one of the shows, his eye catches one...
5K 134 8
A young Stevie and Lindsey find their way to each other, with a few detours along the way.