Chapter fourteen

"Stevie, let me get that," her father fussed as she lifted a bag out of the trunk. "Daddy, you have like five suitcases, I can take one," Stevie insisted, feeling anxious as she stood outside of the dorm rooms
"Its best you don't carry anything heavy in your...condition."

Stevie rolled her eyes as she followed him into the large castle like building. Stevie felt an arm around her shoulders. "Don't let that bother you. He did that same to  me both times and he won't change no matter what you tell him."
Stevie nodded, grimacing as her mother kissed her cheek. The brochures that Stevie had looked over made the campus seem beautiful and lively...in reality it was quite stoic. "Mama...I don't like this."
"It will be alright. We can send you a care package of things from your room to liven it up a little. It will feel like home in no time" her mother reassured her.
"Okay..." Stevie stuck close to Barbara's side, holding onto the last few minutes of comfort that Stevie would have with her. "Can't you visit every weekend?"
"It's a very long drive and flying is expensive. Your brother has school."

"Speaking of Chris, I thought he was going to help dad?"

"He's probably sulking in the car. I will bring him up before we leave."
"Thank you...I still have to give you the money for the record player..." Stevie dug around in her purse, having brought her savings with her
"Stevie..." Barbara said, trying to stop her.

"Mom, I need to. He's right, things have been all about me and the baby and he deserves a little more attention."

"Alright, I will send your father out after we get home."
"Thank you," Stevie handed her mother over half of everything she had, "He loves The Beach Boys, get him their new vinyl. He doesn't have that one."
"I will do my best."

"And maybe The Stones..."

"Alright, honey. Let's not focus on that. Let's focus on getting you settled in." Barbara said upon reaching her room.
"Can you do be one more favor?" Stevie turned to her mother outside of the door

"What is it?"

"Will you get Lindsey more baby books? I want him to keep reading," Stevie handed her mother a few more bills, "and maybe a nice guitar strap?"
"Honey, you should be saving all this for the baby."

"I know, but I really want to show him I care. After this baby comes, he will be raising her until I can join him when I'm done with school. He deserves a present."

Barbara stroked her daughter's cheek. "Alright, sweet girl."
An administrator from the school approached them, "Nicks family?"
"Yes" Jess answered. "Would you like a tour of the school and grounds?"
"No thank you," Stevie said quietly, extremely intimidated by the older woman
"Wouldn't you like to know where your classes will be and the recreation area, maybe you can meet a few of the other girls."

Stevie pressed herself into her mother's side and shook her head.

"Sure, we would love for her to!" Her father said, putting the last of her luggage into her room and closing the door. It was private and Stevie appreciated that. She wanted her own space and to spend time alone without feeling as if she had to be social right away.
The head mistress led them to a different building across the lawn. It was a large brick building, reminding Stevie of a hospital in a way. "Mama," Stevie whispered, "I'm scared..."
"Don't be. Soon the halls will be filled with girls and you will make friends. You have your own room just like at home" Barbara reassured her.
"This is where our classes are held, we will take your high school schedule and fit it into our programs as well. Our staff is trained in emergencies if something were to happen and there are several nurses located throughout the campus. Any questions?" The headmistress asked, "I am Ms. Daily by the way."
Stevie simply shook her head. "Alright then. Let's head into the cafeteria then we can take a trip to the recreation areas" Ms Daily led the way and Stevie hurried to catch up, followed by the rest of her family.
"Your doctor appointments and delivery will all take place in campus. We have doctors and midwives from the local hospital that will assist you when the time comes," Mrs. Daily smiled sympathetically, opening the door to the mess hall, "This where you will eat, we provide three meals that are packed with nutrition for you and your baby," touching Stevie's shoulder
"Great..." Stevie said.