Twenty one

"Lindsey!" Stevie called out to him for the hundredth time that day. He jumped, placing her plate down as he would finish with it later.

"Coming!" He replied, jogging into the living room where she was stretched out on the couch
"Yes dear?" Lindsey asked, out of breath.

"Honey would you be a dear and-"

"Are you tired, hungry? I'm almost done with your plate."

"No, will you bring me a drink?"

"Water?"

"Juice." Stevie said. "I want something sweet."
"Apple? Orange? I'm pretty sure there's mango!" He said quickly

"Apple, please! Oh! And animal crackers!"

"Got it!" He gave her a peck before racing back to the kitchen

"Tee, you're going to run the poor boy into the ground," Barbara said

"He likes to do it. He told me so."

"Well, just remember he gets tired too." Barbara pat her daughters head as she walked past.
In her eighth month Stevie seemed to double in size, she had noticed the baby hit a growth spurt rather late, diminishing her hopes of a smaller baby. "You are killing my back, Sara," Stevie whined

"Want me to rub it for you?" Lindsey returned with her juice and snack
"Yes, please." Stevie wept, shocking Lindsey. Her emotions were wild and unpredictable. If he tried to hug her, sometimes she would cry more or push him off. "I'm so tired"

"Do you need a nap?"

"Then I'll be up all night again."

"Alright, well just let me know if you change your mind. Where does it hurt, lower?" He asked, guiding his hands down her back.
"Yeah, my hips hurt too..." he wiped her eyes, "this isn't what I thought it would be...."

"It's beautiful! You look beautiful!" Lindsey rubbed her back softly. "The midwife will be coming today so maybe she can give us tips, yeah?"
"I guess" Stevie sighed.

"I know you're tired and you feel done with being pregnant but we will miss it when it's over."

"No I won't" she protested and he chuckled.

"Don't laugh at me. I'm serious. Don't you ever do this to me again." Her voice was stern and his eyes widened.
"Okay, I won't," Lindsey nodded as if talking to his mother

"They all say that, Lindsey. She'll be begging for another one in six months," Jess said from his chair
Lindsey laughed and Stevie gave him a pointed look, making him stop immediately. "If everyone is going to gang up on me, I'm just going to go to my room." Stevie told him.

"We're not ganging up on you. We love you."

"Yeah, right. You get the fun part. You're all excited about the baby coming but you forget that I'm the one who has to do all the work."

"I don't forget. I told you I'd hold your hand the whole time and make you as comfortable as you can."

"I blame Eve. She's the one who could stay the hell away from the damned tree. She made it so women had pain during labor. For a stupid apple! It wasn't even like a cookie or piece of cake." Stevie hoisted herself off the couch and went upstairs without another word. Lindsey couldn't help chuckling.

"Well, she seems happy. Sheesh!" Chris said. "Whats eating her?"
"Pregnant women are a delight," Jess said sarcastically

"I'll finish her plate and bring it to her," Lindsey replied, going to the kitchen and finishing his husbandly chores
"He's whipped, dad." Chris said.