Sixteen 2

The next place they stopped into was a baby boutique filled with toys, clothes and adorable booties. Stevie gasped at the incredible amount of pink items on one wall and gravitated toward it like a moth to a flame.
"Are you positive it's a girl?" Barbara chuckled
"It's just a feeling I have" Stevie said. "I can feel that this baby is a girl."
"Most of the time our instincts are right! Well...most of the time-I thought your brother was a girl...."
Stevie snickered. "Well, as far as I know, he's a boy."

"That's right" Barbara said with a chuckle. "But you're sure it's a girl?"

"One hundred perfect" she said.
"Then we'll buy girl clothes then!" She chuckled

"This makes me even more excited."
Stevie picked up a soft pink cardigan and sighed.

"Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful. And it's so tiny." Stevie said, tears in her eyes. "One day, my Sara will wear something this tiny."
"She will....why don't you get it for her and let's pick out an outfit to bring her home in?"
"I would love to" Stevie hugged her mother unexpectedly.
"It has to be comfy, not a dress," her mother chuckled, seeing Stevie scan over the tiny dresses

"I didn't know they had so many baby clothes."
"Babies need a lot of clothes, but don't worry, we can do this."

"Today?"

"Mm-hmm." Barbara said. "How about this?" She picked up a pink footed onesie that buttoned up the front.
Stevie felt the soft material, "I love it..." tears sprang to her eyes, "do you think we could embroider her name on it?"
Barbara smiled. "I think we could. Sara, S-A-R-A?"

"Yes, that's it."

"Beautiful. I will talk to the shopgirl."
"I'll look around a little more."

"That's fine sweetheart."
Barbara continued to show Stevie a few things for the baby and she sighed. "Is everything okay, Stevie?"

"Yeah, I just wish I could be shopping for her with Lindsey too. Not that I don't love shopping with you but--"

"I understand." Barbara said. "Maybe on your next holiday, you guys can go out for a couple hours."
"I would like that...." Stevie smiled, "the baby will be a good age by then."

"This baby will change your life in an amazing way, trust me."
"I know" Stevie said, proudly smoothing a hand over her belly. She knew in that moment that her mother was right.
"Are you hungry? I think that we have enough clothes for the day."

"Yes, can we go to the diner where Lindsey works?"
"Of course" Barbara helped her put all the bags in the car and headed to the diner. As soon as she walked in, she spotted Lindsey coming from the back of the restaurant. She smiled, smoothing her dress, tucking one side of her hair behind her ear.
Lindsey hadn't spotted her yet, busy with cleaning tables and resetting them. Stevie admired how he took pride in his work, nitpicking every detail.
She and her mother were sat down at a table. They both scanned the menu but Stevie couldn't help looking at Lindsey. He lifted his head, looking around. He must know she was looking at him.
Stevie grew angry when she saw a few of the employees making fun of Lindsey as he became very socially awkward without his parents in public. "Hey Lindsey, try not to call your mommy too many times today, she's probably too busy knitting you some big boy underpants!" Two of the employees laughed, Stevie finding it plain stupid.

Lindsey, of course, did not stick up for himself, Stevie wasn't sure if he knew that they were joking or not, "I won't..." he grinned lightly
Stevie stroked her stomach. She didn't like the way they spoke to him. She had half a mind to go over there and tell those boys when she thought. Barbara looked up.