Fifteen 2

"Dinner is ready!" Barbara called up the stairs, causing both of them to run downstairs
"Oh, TeeDee honey, are you alright?" her mother asked, seeing how puffy and red her eyes were.

"I'm fine..." Stevie said, sitting down at the table.

"I'll make your plate first." Barbara said.
"Okay," Stevie said quietly

"Thank you, Mrs. Nicks," Lindsey took Stevie's plate to her before returning to fix his own

"Thanks," Stevie said quietly, taking her plate
"Stevie, whatever is the matter?" Ruth asked. "You're usually so bubbly and upbeat."

Lindsey gave his mother a look. "Well, she would still be bubbly and upbeat if you didn't tell her what I told you specifically not to tell her. She doesn't need the stress or upset right now."
"She deserved to know, you couldn't hide it forever," Ruth replied

"I know, but I would rather she heard it from me."

"You said you weren't going to tell her."
"Maybe I wasn't..." he said, looking down to put his napkin in his lap. "That's beside the point. It wasn't your place."

"Well, I'm sorry" Ruth said.

"Don't talk to your mother that way." Morris told him firmly.

"Then maybe she should keep her nose out of our business." Lindsey raised his voice.

"Lindsey, can we please not argue? I came home because I missed everyone. I want to have fun before I have to go back." Stevie said softly.

"Alright. I'm sorry" Lindsey kissed her cheek. "How's Sara?"

"Moving around, as always." Stevie said, smoothing her belly.
Lindsey placed his hand over hers, using his other to eat dinner.

"So Lindsey," Jess spoke up, "how is your job going? Do you enjoy it?"

"I like it, it's just temporary to help pay for the baby."
"Oh, and what are you plans after this "temporary" job?"

"Daddy!" Stevie scolded.

"It's a logical question. Tell us, Lindsey."

"Well, I'm going to be trained as a waiter so I can earn tips. All the money I earn will go to our daughter and her needs. Afterward, well, I have plans but--"

"Care to share?" Jess urged.
"I-I want to be a musician..." Lindsey said quietly
"A musician? What kind of life is that for my daughter and my grand child?" Jess stood up from the table, tossing his napkin down. "Is she going to have to support you while you struggle trying to be a rock and roll star? My daughter is going to go to college and make something out of herself."
"No, I'll take care of her always. I'll get a side job...."
"A side job won't support a wife and a child, Lindsey. You've got to be more practical."

"Daddy, I've had enough." Stevie for up from the table and went back upstairs.

"Now look what you've done!" Barbara said.

"I'm going to check on Stevie." Lindsey said, getting up as well.
"I think that we should all go for the night," Morris told Lindsey, placing his hand on his shoulder

"I need to check on her..."

"Let her mother take care of that. She will be alright. You'll see her tomorrow," Ruth encouraged, managing to lead him out of the house
Barbara was visibly upset, going up the stairs to Stevie's room. She knocked on her door. "I'll be down in a minute" Stevie shouted.

"They're gone, honey. I'm sorry about your father." Barbara opened the door.

"He was interrogating him!" Stevie cried.
"He worried about you...he wants the best for you."