Chapter four

Stevie couldn't keep her mind off Lindsey. She wondered if he told his parents about his injuries and how he was feeling. She hadn't been able to talk to him at school so she hoped she could go over to his house. Her mother still wasn't thrilled with the idea of the two hanging out together so she would have to sneak out again.

"Chris, you have to cover again" Stevie told her brother as they went upstairs to their rooms.

"I've been covering for you way too often and we always get caught."

"So what am I supposed to do?"
"Tell Mom and Dad the truth! Have you thought of that?" Chris asked

"That wouldn't go over well..."

"Exactly! Lindsey is a lost cause! Why do you keep trying? It's obvious that he doesn't want a friend!"
"That's not true...we connected out there"

"Ohhhh you 'connected'!" Chris said, waggling his eyebrows.

"Not like that. God, get your mind out of the gutter. You want me to stay away because you think he's an ax murderer but now you think I'm sleeping with him?"
"You're a strange girl, Stephanie," Chris shook his head, "anything is possible."

"Well no matter what our parents say I am going over there and checking on him."

"Suit yourself," Chris shrugged, watching his big sister walk out the front door

Stevie rang the bell to the Buckingham house, Ruth answering the door a few seconds later. "Stevie is it? Can I help you?"

"I uh, I came to check on Lindsey."

"He's fine, dear. Thank you for stopping by." She sounded sincere but nervous.

"Can I see him?" Stevie asked, peering inside the house over Ruth's shoulder.
"Wait here, please," Ruth let her inside the door before disappearing to find Lindsey
Stevie waited, staring at the front walk, the street and pretty much anywhere except right at the door. She felt awkward.

"Someone is here to see you" Ruth told Lindsey as the door opened.
"To see me?" Lindsey asked nervously, "Who?"

"The girl a few doors down?" He asked as Ruth nodded in response. He quickly jumped in and checked himself in the mirror, fixing his hair.

"I can tell her to leave if you don't feel like talking."

"No!" Rushing past her, suddenly becoming shy again as he approached the front door.
"Hey, Lindsey."

"Hey"

"Are you feeling any better?" He nodded, looking down at his shoes. "That's great...I guess that's all I came here for." Stevie turned to leave and he grabbed her arm, letting go when he became nervous again. He didn't want to get in trouble for hurting her.
"Stay for lunch?" He asked nervously, he had been in the kitchen eating when Stevie arrived
"Um..." Stevie looked toward her house, remembering she had snuck out and Chris was probably ratting on her right now. "Yeah, sure."

"Okay" Lindsey said, moving aside to let her in.
He pulled her chair out for her at the table, sitting down across from her as Ruth made her a sandwich. "If I had know that we were going to have company I would have made something better..." she said nervously, Lindsey had never had a friend over before
"This is great. I appreciate you making me lunch and I'm sorry for turning up without notice"

Ruth looked up at the girl and Stevie smiled. "Well, that's quite alright dear" Ruth pat her hand, setting the plate down in front of her.
Lindsey looked extremely nervous, having a hard time eating with one arm as his left wrist was broke
Stevie tried not to stare but felt like she couldn't really talk to Lindsey freely in front of Ruth. She ate her sandwich, looking up at Ruth as she tried to engage in small talk.