Chapter six

Stevie couldn't stop thinking about Lindsey all night. He was even in her dreams. He was kind, sweet, artistic and talented. He had defended her, protected her and on top of that, he really genuinely cared about her. She had watched him slowly come out of his shell at times and that made her happier than anyone could imagine. The next morning, she woke up earlier than usual. She dressed, did her makeup and fussed with her hair. Today was the day she would end things with her boyfriend. She had seen his true colors and she didn't like them at all.

"Here goes nothing" she told herself, checking her appearance in the mirror one last time before taking off for school.
"Hey baby," her boyfriend groped her back side as soon as she got out of her car

"Adam, no," pushing away from him as he disgusted her now. The more time she spent around him the more revolting he seemed.

"What's the matter baby?" Pulling her back to him.

"We're through..." she said bluntly, figuring it was best to get it over with
"Through with what?" he asked, becoming angry.

"Us, Adam. After the other day...I--"

"So it's over that reject? He's going to be dead meat!"

"This is what I'm talking about. You're so quick to hurt someone or put them down. This isn't the guy I agreed to go with!"
"You know, Stephanie...that's fine. Your best friend had better pussy anyway," shoving past her as a crowd gathered around them.

Stevie felt extremely embarrassed as everyone began to talk, this would be huge news around the school...
She refused to cry. Of course Adam was getting it from someone else. He was always so patient with her and now...well, she wasn't sure what to do. She walked down the hallway and bumped right into someone.

"S-sorry" the voice said.

"Lindsey!" she squealed, throwing her arms around him.
The gesture startled him, slowly putting his arms around her as well, "You okay?" He asked as he felt her shaking

"No..." Stevie sniffled as she pulled away

"Can I help?"
"Yes, I mean...no, uh...I broke it off with Adam and he, he...he was sleeping with my friend!" She felt Lindsey's body tense. "Everyone is talking about it. Everyone will know, he will make sure of it."
"Come on, we'll go to the beach," Lindsey took her hand, feeling a strong need to comfort her.
"What about school?"

"D-don't worry" he said with a smile and she giggled a little through her tears. 
Lindsey walked her out to her car and opened the door for her, "Thank you," Stevie said as she sat in the drivers seat.

"Let's go," He smiled brightly as she turned on the car and pulled out of the parking lot
She drove down the road, a few tears escaping her eyes. "Music?" she asked.

"Talk...please?"

"Alright" she said with a nod.

"I'm sorry about Adam"

"Don't worry, he's a prick anyway." She smiled and so did he. "He treated you like crap and you didn't deserve it."

"He wasn't good to you either. I wouldn't do that to you."

"That's because you're a nice guy, Lindsey."
"I don't always know what to say...but I care about you...a lot." Lindsey kept his head down, not looking over at her.

"I care about you too, Lindsey."
"I...last night, I wanted to read a letter to you but I couldn't say it. I care about you more than I've ever cared about anyone." he told her. "I think I love you."
Pulling up to the beach Stevie turned to him and grinned, "I think I love you too, Lindsey..."
"Really?" he asked, looking up at her. She nodded, biting her lip. He took her hand as it came off the steering wheel and laced his fingers with hers. "Will you, will you go with me?"
"I will," Stevie chuckled as Lindsey smiled brighter than she had ever seen.