Thirty

At some point, Stevie had fallen asleep in the chair next to Lindsey. She wondered what had woken her up, looking up to see Lindsey parents entering the room. She smiled sleepily and she stood. Ruth hugged her immediately, looking at her son lying on the bed. Morris gave her a comforting, closed-lipped smile, hugging Stevie as well.

"How are you?" he asked softly.
"I'm fine, I'm so much better now. He's awake," she teared up, looking over at Lindsey
"The doctor called us, telling us he had woken up. Did he...speak?" Morris asked.
"No, he grunts. I think it's just from not using his voice in so long..."
"That's possible. Even waking up in the morning, your voice can be a little rough," Morris told her, and she nodded. "I'm sure he will get better in time."

Stevie hoped he was right. "Well, the doctor should be in again soon, since you're both here now. He can give us more information."
Ruth gently kissed Lindsey's forehead and smoothed out his gown, "You trimmed his beard?"
"I did. I-I thought maybe he would like that," Stevie spoke shyly, tugging on the sleeves of Lindsey's sweatshirt she was wearing. His scent comforted her.
"It looks good," Ruth smiled, "How long has he been asleep?"
"Mm," She looked at the clock on the wall. "I guess a few hours...I'm so worried he won't wake up for me again." Stevie's eyes filled with tears and Ruth hugged her.
"He will. He loves you and Sara too much."
Stevie nodded against her, trying to believe what she was told. She pulled herself away from the older woman, wiping her eyes. "Thank you."
"Lindsey will be just fine," Morris assured her, looking down at his son sadly. They all turned their head at the sound of the doctor entering.

"Good evening!" He smiled
Stevie wrung her hands, nervous to hear news about Lindsey. The doctor checked the clipboard at the end of the bed, as well as vitals per usual then positioned himself in front of the waiting family members.

"Is he in recovery now? When can he come home?" Stevie asked, unable to spend another second away from him.
"I'm afraid not, Stephanie. Lindsey's fall caused some neurological damage, along with the coma he lost his ability to speak, but with therapy he should be able to get it back. As soon as he wakes up again we will get him up and moving to see his physical standpoint."
Stevie stared at the doctor in disbelief. How could he not be able to talk? How could he have brain damage? A strange mix of feelings swirled inside of her like a storm. She was already angry with Adam, but now she felt a crippling sense of loss. Tears filled her eyes and her knees buckled. "No, that can't be true!" Stevie argued but it was no use. The doctor shook his head sadly.

"I'm sorry" All other words were a blur, Morris tried to comfort both his wife and the young woman.
Lindsey began to stir with all of the commotion, seeing Stevie sobbing next to him with his mother. His first thought was that he was dying, but as he tried to ask...nothing came out but a grunt.

Everyone's head shot towards him and Ruth took his hand, "Lindsey, Mama is here...you're okay," she tried to keep him calm. She had dealt with his meltdowns when he was scared...
Stevie looked at him as well and he tightened his grip on his mother's hand though it still felt gentle. He would have to regain his strength in physical therapy. He grunted again and rolled his head from side to side as if he wanted her to come closer. She was already beside him but she leaned over to look at him. She could still see her Lindsey in there but it's almost as if he were trapped. She forced a smile.

"Your mom is right. Everything is okay." She felt like a liar saying those words but she didn't want to make him even more frightened.
"Mr. Buckingham, can you nod your head to answer some questions?" The doctor asked. Lindsey managing a nod in return. "Good. Can we get some space?" The doctor asked
Stevie got up and sat in the chairs at the other side of the room with his mother and father. The doctor stood over then bed asking him to blink once for yes and twice for no. That would help the doctor gain a little more understanding of his condition if a nod wasn't physically possible.