Nin Chronicles: My Word

By Jaya-Avendel

Brothers Elladan and Elrohir live normal lives by their father's standards, but both twins struggle to accept... More

Drawings
Vacation
Wasted Love
Fleeing Love
Possessed
Under The Full Moon
Unwanted Bed Rest
A Letter Opener
Rivendell
Over Dinner
Over The Desk
Thundercloud
A Little Freedom?
Adapting
Under Water
For Your Own Good
Climb!
In His Office
Flow
King And Lord
Long Bow
Split
Broken
Lost On Yonder Rock
Until One Day
Archery
A Journal Entry
A Sick Mother?
Saying I Love You
Saying I Hate You
Saying Always
Preserve Us
Distant Light
Do You?
Jealousy
Broken Souls
Nightmare
Breaking News
Come Hench Forth
Elrond Arrives
The Forest Explodes
Switch You!
Snap!
Arrival
Under Ice
He Let Go
He Threw A Rock
I Threw Away Their Love
Another Mistake
What Will Happen Now?
Black Magic
I Saw Their Souls
I Know My Place
I See The Truth
I Heard His Lie
I Hated His Apologies
I Listened To His Truth
I Felt His Love
I Saw Their Souls
I See War
I Long For My Sons
I Heard Screams
I Saw Grace
I Feel Anger
I Saw Fear
I Saw Arrogance
I See Nightmares
I See Stars
I Felt Guilt
I See Dusk
I Wept Tears
I Heard Laughter
I Failed My Task
I Tried To Make It Better
I Celebrated
I Saw Myself
I Felt Love
I Feel My Heart Sing
I Heard Horror
I Am Not Really Bad
I Saw Her Smile
I Love Our Sons
I Know My Path
I Felt Cold
I See Horror
I Am Loved
I Am Curious
I Made My Choice
I Am Torn
I Feel Light
I Cried Tears
I Felt My Heart Lighten
I Lied
I Am Angry
I Felt Cool
I Feel Pain
I Feel Loved
I Must Do This
I Must Go
I Had No Choice
I Cannot Forgive
I Try
I Saw My Mother
I Am Confused
I Met My Mother
I Am Happy
I Found Darkness
I Told Tales
I Know Lies
I Could Not Stop
I Beg Pain
I See Domination
I See Disaster
I Am Wrong
I Am Ashamed
I Confessed
I Am Blamed
I See Ghosts
I Must
I Want It
I Know
I Am Hated
I Am A Father
I Am A King
I Am Honored
I Heal
I Hear Silence
I Blush
I Miss Home
I Smile
I Grieve
I Am Spring
I Am Home
I Am Sandwiched
I Hesitate
I Burn
I Wonder
I Understand
I Am Crowned
I Have Learned
I Am Reborn
Author's Notes
Benders: Dragonfire

Mirkwood

417 20 14
By Jaya-Avendel

Thranduil relaxed in his seat and reread Celebrian's letter for the tenth time in three weeks.

Dear Thranduil,

Misfortune has befallen my husband and he finds himself injured, and in need of my attentions for a while to come before he recovers and is ready to take up the reins of the family again. While he lies abed, and I am nursing him, we cannot possibly look after the twins. As Glorfindel and Erestor will be busy filling in our places, and I do not feel comfortable leaving my sons to the care of the servants, I ask you to please take care of Elladan and Elrohir until Elrond is better.

I know my sons can be trying, and their mischief is hard to contend with, while they disobedience is sometimes difficult to deal with. Should the occasion arise, whatever punishment you deem fit to reprimand them will be, I am sure, just and fit to the occasion.

I am hopeful you will agree to care for the twins.

Best wishes,

Lady Celebrian.

"One can only imagine the state Rivendell is in if Elrond cannot trust his sons in the hands of his people," Harune remarked.

Thranduil smiled. "Now, ada, I am not sure that is the case. But perhaps Celebrian feels they will be able to take their minds off their father here, in a new, never before visited realm."

Harune nodded. "It may be so. The wording of the letter is a little strange. I cannot place it but it has a peculiar ring to it. Especially the bit about punishment."

Thranduil shrugged. "I know Legolas is excited at the thought of seeing the twins again. They will be here soon."

"Landion is thrilled," Harune admitted.

"And what about you?" Thranduil asked.

"I am, on the whole, bracing myself for the hurricane. Four elflings running through these halls will cause the trees from which it was carved to shake."

Thranduil grinned. "And no doubt the list of damaged and destroyed property pinned to my office wall will soon expand dramatically."

"It is nothing to joke about," Harune frowned.

"While in Rivendell, Legolas and I both felt as though something was off about the twins," Thranduil continued, "Something about them did not quite add up . . . their auras were off. Perhaps you will be able to place it."

"I will try," Harune promised.

OoOoOoO

The dullness of the long trip from Rivendell faded as the grand, twisted trees of Mirkwood spread out their boughs above the party of Rivendell elves. Elladan and Elrohir straightened in their saddles, shaking away their gloom.

"I have never been," one elven guard remarked as he ran his eyes over the trees. "But it is . . . interesting. Quite primitive."

"I think it is beautiful," Elrohir volunteered, taking in the fresh air and mossy woodland scent.

"We are all entitled to our opinions," the guard replied.

Elrohir slumped. The whole journey had been one long boring ride, with every conversation he had ever attempted cut short in the same abrupt way. It was almost as if their guards thought they were below intelligent discussion.

"When will be reach the palace?" Elladan asked.

"Tomorrow," the guard replied.

"I wonder what it looks like," Elladan said to his twin.

"It must be grand," Elrohir said enthusiastically. "Ada does not have a palace."

"Ada is not a king," Elladan said. "He is a lord."

"Do not talk about your father like that!"

Elladan winced at the snap of the guard and lapsed into silence. One peaceful night later, in the bright light of mid-noon, the palace finally came into view, reaching up to the blue sky above, its grand doors gleaming in the light. After a day of riding through the spread out houses and spirited atmosphere, the palace met all expectations, possessing an air of grace and stature.

Thranduil himself was standing at the end of the bridge stretching across the river behind him, leaning back against the tall pillar built into the end of the edges of the bridge. Legolas was sitting and dangling his legs over the edge of the flat, wide stone railing with another elfling beside him but both jumped up at the sound of the horses.

Elladan and Elrohir flung themselves off their horses as soon as the animals came to a halt and dashed into Thranduil's arms, the stiffness running out of their legs, overwhelmed with relief to finally be somewhere safe and interesting.

"It is good to see you to," Thranduil said as he ran a hand over each of the brown heads. As the twins stepped back, he said, "You know Legolas, but I would like to introduce to my little brother, Landion."

Landion looked at the twins from beside Legolas, not looking to be much older then the prince, and grinned. Elladan promised he would have to find out how Landion happened when Thranduil was centuries older then him.

Thranduil turned to welcome the six Rivendell guards as stable hands emerged from the woods to take their horses behind and send the luggage to the palace servants.

"Welcome to Mirkwood," he said. "I trust you had a safe journey?"

"Thank the valar," the head guard replied. "I am Juriel Felicion."

"I am glad the orcs have stepped down for now," Thranduil said. "Come inside and join us for lunch. Harune should have it ready be now, and he despises those who make it their business to be late, me included."

Juriel thought Harune must a palace servant or the butler or something but he did think it a little odd that any servant would have the audacity to include his king in the people he despised for being late. He followed after Thranduil, gesturing for his guards to follow after him.

The long table in the dining room was covered in platters of food, wisps of smoke curling off them. Legolas made a dash for his place with Landion beside him. Thranduil looked down at the twins. "You may sit wherever you like. And this is my father, Harune."

Harune glanced up at the elflings and smiled a warm welcome, his eyes kind and gentle. "It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. You must be tired and hungry after your long journey."

Elladan and Elrohir thought about the long hours spent riding. "Yes," they both agreed.

Behind them, Juriel made a hasty effort to control his shocked features as he eyed up the elf sitting at the foot of the long table, digesting the fact he was supposed to be Thranduil's father but wondering what had gone wrong in the family that the king had ended up with a servant as his ada. What had happened to Oropher?

OoOoOoO

"He is not like Elrond," Esrestil said.

Both Noldor elves belonged to the Rivendell escort. Esrestil stood tall and lean, dressed in a comfortable brown tunic and leggings, having gotten out of his armor and heavy cloak. He had left his black hair plaited into a thick braid. His companion, Nix, wore similar clothing, the yellow of his shirt setting off the hazel of his hair.

"Quite," he agreed, clasping his hands behind his back as he and Esrestil strolled along under the trees, following the footpaths winding through Mirkwood.

"Have you nothing more to say?" Esrestil teased, a cool breeze blowing through the trees.

Nix shrugged. "I see nothing more to say. King Thranduil is, as you say, cut from different cloth. He seems kinder, more open and understanding."

"I hope he is," Esrestil said.

Nix smiled. "I have seen him frown only five times today, and Legolas appeared undaunted."

"Gracious!" said Esrestil, his head turning as he caught sight of Thranduil hurrying along a path through a gap in the trees. "What is he doing out?"

"Well, I do not see why you think he should stay inside all day," Nix replied.

"I am used to Elrond," Esrestil said, with a shake of his head, as the elf king disappeared. "I have not seen him out without full dress robes, and at least a few elves accompanying him."

"I do not think the wild Sindar elves here Elrond turns his nose up at are quite as refined as we like to think ourselves," Nix said, pushed sideways as Esrestil punched him on the arm.

And I dare say Nix is right! Thanks for reading.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 288 44
I didn't just lose you. I lost my entire life. This is my take on Thranduil and his wife before and after her death.
13 0 1
Elladan is about to enter adulthood and he choses a partner to spend this important night with, but he fail to realize that the choice may not be the...
5.7K 139 27
The line of FĂ«anor. a line of problems. A line, of blood. A line that ended. Or so they thought. Lillian was raised in a small village set in the...
13.4K 466 19
It started out so sweetly in Mirkwood with love and laughter. Thranduil and Legolas are still learning to love and trust each other. Though they have...