The Jade Dagger of Kunlun

By moosesforgooses

Strictly Ye Hua and Bai Qian 50,000 years ago, a little golden lotus shriveled and died in its lotus pond, le... More

Prologue
The New Disciples
Initial Days
Memories
Unruly Juniors
First Full Day
Stumbling
An Uneasy Relationship
The Fox and The Dagger
An Outing to Remember
The Dagger Warning
The Water Dungeon
Yao Guang
Punishment
Cultivation Gathering
The Foxes
The Seamstress and the Thief
Lessons
Plans
Ownership
The Daggers Core
The Core Center
The Twinship
Real Training.
Scars
Obedience
Pain
Into the Valleys.
Energy
Family
The Nine Tailed Goddess
The Prophetess
Two Worlds - One Desire
Fate
Jealous of the Way...
Coincidences
An Ancient Magic
Deductions
The Cave
Suspicions
Union
The Reunion
Conclusions
The Unveiling
Trial Preparations
An Unintentional Interlude
Trial Three - Part 1
Trial Three - Part 2
Trial Three - Part 3
Trial Three - Part 4
Trial Three - Part 5
Trial Three - Part 6
The Aftermath
A Desperate Search
Lessons to Learn 1
Lessons to Learn 2
Lessons to Learn 3
The Final Lesson
A Desperate Search
The Ring
The Final Battle
A Final Sacrifice
A Princess's Story 1
A Princess's Story 2
The Disciples
Poppies
A Meeting Between Elders.
A Far East Wedding
A Low Growl
Future Plans
The Twinship
The Final Trial
Hidden Weapon
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2 - The Final Disclosure
The Final Epilogue

The Spirit of the Lotus

964 48 16
By moosesforgooses

Unlike Si Yin, Ye Hua had found plenty to keep him occupied.  He loved his days of learning and having been there for almost a month already, he still felt as if he had only scratched the surface of the possibilities open to him. There were so many different paths that he could take, he felt as if he were spoiled for choice.  

After meditation, he would either head to the Weapons Hall, the Art Hall and sometimes the astronomy hall where a small observatory was placed for any student who wished to study the stars.  There was usually no one else in any of these hall when he visited as most of his brothers preferred the others, some of which he had not yet visited.

Only that day, he spent his morning mediation listening to the soft sound of a tune from his memory, one that almost sounded audible to his physical hearing.  And as he focused on it, he began to realize he only ever heard it when he was in the Lotus Pond area.  Becoming more curious by the second, he began to softly hum the tune to keep it in his mind.

"Well I never thought I'd be the one to tell you to shut up." Si Yin said giggling from the side.

Keeping the tune in his mind, he turned his head slowly to see him not only sitting up and looking out at the view, but he was actually awake and had he not been preoccupied with the tune, he may have retorted back.

"Si Yin, have you ever heard this tune before?" he asked before humming it a little louder.

Listening as the tune carried back towards the pond, Si Yin suddenly smiled with a nod before joining in.  Humming it together, Ye Huas bright eyes shone brilliantly.  Finally, having heard the tune all his life, he found someone else who knew it, but waiting until it came to an end, he quickly spun his body around to look at him.

"So you know it.  What is it called?" he asked excitedly.

"The Spirit of the Lotus." he grinned at him.  "Zhe Yan used to play it sometimes when I was little." he added before scrunching up his face to remember the words.

"The Spirit of the Lotus..." Ye Hua whispered softly to himself.  Finally he had the name of the tune.  Now if he could just figure out why it had played in his mind since he was little then he might gain some understanding as to why he felt as if he had been there before.  And it was only the Lotus Pond he got that feeling, he didn't feel it anywhere else.

About to ask if the song had words, he was suddenly struck dumb as Si Yin began to sing the words to him, words he had a vague recollection of

"A warm rain gently clears the mist
that threatens the fragile stem
Its soft caress soothes the soul
Within the hidden petaled gem.
Spreading its wings he opens wide
to a dawn that has begun
Not knowing that its golden flare
Is brighter than its sun
Its Spirit breathes in the glow
as another joins his side
A spirit much like itself
A gentle hand to guide -
the strings of a zither that fills the air
with thoughts of love and pain
But the tender whispering voice of love
he yearns to hear again
'I await the day to see your face 
But Fate never gives us notice
Yet here I'll be forever waiting
For my Spirit of the Lotus' "

Looking back at the Lotus Pond as Si Yin sang the words to him, he suddenly felt such a strong overwhelming bond to the pool that it was almost painful.  Tears were gathering in his eyes as the words hung in the air, but for the life of him, he had no idea why he was even tearful.  Suddenly he felt immense sadness mingled with intense love.

Only the feeling didn't last long, because the second he turned around, not only was Si Yin almost on top of him, but he was actually staring wide eyed at his tears!

"Get the hell away from me." he snapped, sending him scuttling back to his dais.

"No need to get mad Ye Hua.  I was just worried that's all." he said sulking.

Ignoring him, Ye Hua wiped away the tears and turned back towards the pond, but having already lost the feelings he had been trying to focus on, he instead moved back to the words of the song.  If Si Yin learned it from High God Zhe Yan, then there would have to be a record of it kept somewhere.  The music hall came to mind, but he decided he would more than likely find it in the library which he planned to visit instead of the halls of learning that morning.

Ye Hua, why don't you talk to Shifu.  He might know what it is you're feeling." Si Yin suggested having watched him for several minutes lost in deep thought and with his eyes on the Lotus Pond.

Ye Hua had thought about it, but being so in awe of the man, he had no idea how to broach it, or even what to say to him.  Humming a tune to him also seemed so ridiculous he just couldn't pluck up the courage to approach him.  Instead he just smiled.  Meditation was almost over, and with breakfast next followed by free class, he was anxious to get moving.

"Do you want me to write out the words for you Ye Hua.  I don't have much to write about today." Si Yin offered before standing to smooth out the wrinkles in his gown.

"No, it's fine." he replied, before looking at his friend with a grin.  "Nothing to write about?  So I take it things are settling for you?" he asked also standing.

"Let's just say, I have found something to keep myself occupied and out of trouble." he grinned back.

Not sure if he should applaud the boy or worry about what that something was, he flicked his eyes towards the archway.

And before he could move a step, Si Yin had already taken off running.  Letting him win this time, he walked towards the lotus pond and sat down.  He had found himself doing this often since his arrival, but he never got any new thoughts or images instead the same ones played through his mind.  

Sitting on the side, looking down at the water, one of the images he recalled vividly was the mist rolling in at night.  With his eyes closed, he could almost taste it.  It was salty but also sweet, chilling but safe, it made him feel secure in its predictability.  Another was the sound of chanting, but he could never recall the words, just the soft lilt of a voice in the distance.  It was almost song like in that it had a beat but as he began to tap out the beat with his fingertips and hum only the tone he suddenly felt a shadow fall over him.

Opening his eyes, Mo Yuan came into view.  Sitting beside him, the tenderness in his eyes when he looked at him took him by surprise.  He always had a gentle way about him, but to have it focused directly on him, made Ye Hua feel a little uncomfortable.  Quickly slipping off the edge and onto his knees, he raised his hands and bowed.

"What were you humming?" Mo Yuan asked.  He knew for certain that his brother had memories of the Lotus Pond, but he did not know to what extent.

"Shifu.  I was just humming." he replied being too unsure of how to even begin explaining what he had just hummed.

Trying a different approach, one he hoped would make it easier to open discussion, he rephrased the question  "Ye Hua, is there something you want to discuss with me?" 

Swallowing hard, Ye Hua kept his head down.  He knew if he didn't ask now, he might lose the chance.  "Shifu.  I sometimes feel like I have been here before."

And there it was.  Mo Yuan took a slow deep breath as he looked down at his brother blushing and unsure of himself or the memories he had.  But that he remembered something was enough to open the channel to communication.

"That is because you have been here before." Mo Yuan said gently which finally had Ye Hua lifting his head to look up at him.

"I have Shifu?" he asked wide eyed and suddenly feeling a little afraid.

Mo Yuan felt his fear keenly, but he knew the boy was seeking answers and he wanted to open the channel to what he hoped would be a relationship they could build together.

"Yes Ye Hua.  Your spirit once rested in a Golden Lotus Flower in this very pond." He said before suddenly waving his hand across his brothers face and lifting the last of the disguise that kept his true features hidden.

Stumbling back on his bottom, Ye Hua gawked up at him open mouthed.  "Shifu?" he asked though not sure what his actual question was.

"Come here Ye Hua." Mo Yuan said standing and facing the water.

Standing quickly, Ye Hua moved closer.

"Look down into the water." Mo Yuan ordered.

Leaning in over the edge, Ye Hua looked down though unsure of what he was meant to be looking at, his mouth suddenly dropped when Mo Yuan also leaned over the edge to look down.  Side by side, their reflections were mirrored back at him.

The world spun around him, his sight dimmed and a deep resonant roaring in his head grew louder.  He took several large breaths but the sight of their identical features looking back at him was too much.  The mystery only deepened, he felt afraid and tearful and all he wanted to do then was run.

Backing away from the water, he kept his eyes down but Mo Yuan could see he was afraid and trembling.

"Ye Hua, don't be afraid.  I won't hurt you, but there are things you need to know, only I have been waiting for the right opportunity to present itself." Mo Yuan said as gently as he could while keeping the distance.

And nor did he move when Ye Hua threw the disguise back up over himself.  "Shifu.  I don't want to know." he said backing away from him.

"Ye Hua.... listen to me.  We are brothers." he said softly, but he did not get anymore out, because the moment the words left his mouth, Ye Hua turned and ran.

He didn't know where he was going, but he ran for all he was worth.  He thought he heard Shifu calling him back, but he had heard enough.  In tears and frightened, he flew past several of his brothers who were leaving the dining hall for the Halls of learning.  Ignoring them too, including Die Feng he flew straight off the mountain and down towards the valleys below.

He had never been into the valleys before, and having no real destination in mind, he kept running until his legs gave out on him.

Stumbling into the thick over growth, his body fell heavily but he felt nothing,  He was numb inside but Shifus last words and his parents were the only things on his mind.

His beautiful mother, who loved him, nurtured him and protected him.  His father, strong, confident and capable.  The only two people in his world that he loved more than life itself, were not his parents? He thought to himself.

Pulling his body into a tight ball, he wept bitterly as their faces passed through his mind.  Regretting his decision to leave them for a school on the other side of the world, when he should be at home protecting them, Ye Hua seriously began to consider going home.

He was so lost to his misery, he did not initially feel the soft strokes to his face but as the pressure began to intrude into his thoughts, he eventually opened his eyes.  Taking a deep breath, he sat up quickly to look back at the pure white fox that was staring straight back at him.

Its nine tails were gently swaying aimlessly about its body, but the soft blue eyes that looked back at him kindly and with compassion, suddenly had the tears rolling down his face again.

He didn't move a muscle when the bundle of fur jumped into his lap, and nor did he say anything, when its tails gently wrapped themselves around his shoulders to hug him.  He merely closed his eyes and accepted the warm embrace for what it was.  Thankful that he had a friend during his time of need but one he didn't have to talk to, he hung his head into its fur and cried.

For hours, the fox sat with him while he looked blankly out at the valley lost in thought and not once did it try to communicate with him.  It seemed to Ye Hua that it knew he only wanted silence, and that was exactly what the fox gave him.

Soon the sun moved overhead towards the West. He had to make a decision.  Either stay or leave.  Looking down at the fox whose tails were still wrapped around him and gently stroking his back, the sharp image of his father hunting down a fox came back to him.  Seeing that as a sign to leave, he gently lifted the bundle of fur off him and placed it in the wild flowers in front of him.

"Thank you for taking care of me today little fox and if I was staying, I would come visit again,   but I am not.  I am going home." he said softly before rising.

Turning, he looked up at the mountain once, before turning to the right to make his way to the Grand Entrance.  He had only managed a few steps when he suddenly felt a sharp nip on his calf muscle.

Jumping, he spun around to see the little fox shaking its head at him.  Then before he knew what it was up to, the fox lifted its tails, placed them around his waist and forced him to turn back towards the mountain.  Then with a little shove with it's nose, it pushed him forward.

"Now look here.  I am grateful for your comfort, but I am not going back." he said sharply before turning again.

Only to be nipped again and forced back around. Several times Ye Hua tried to leave, only to have the little fox force him closer and closer to the obelisk that would take him back up.

Defeated, hungry, tired and now chuckling at the little fox with a whole lot courage and compassion, he reached down to gently stroke the fur, before returning to the top Kunlun Mountain and a future he was uncertain of.

Quickly hiding itself back in the tall grass, the little white fox erupted back into it's human form before running for the obelisk.  Though the moment he arrived he thought it best to wait a few minutes to give Ye Hua time to leave the entrance so he wouldn't see him enter directly after him.  Instead he sat below the obelisk with his mind only on his rumbling stomach.

But his mind soon turned back to Ye Hua.  Having almost bowled him over when he ran into the valleys, Si Yin had quietly followed behind him.  He didn't realize just how upset he was until he saw him stumble then roll himself into a ball to cry.  He looked so pathetic, that for a moment, he almost opened his big mouth to tease him.  Instead the plaintive weeping made him sad just looking at him.  In the end, he decided there and then that Ye Hua needed a friend, one he could accept but not have to talk to and a fox was the best option.  

But as the sun moved lower and the air began to chill, Si Yin knew he had better get back and soon.

"That cry baby, I've been here all day and missed lunch because of him." Si Yin seethed quietly to himself hoping he wasn't also late for dinner.  Then timing out twenty minutes going by the movement of the shadows on the ground, a hunting trick Ye Hua taught him, he too flew up the mountain. 

Only the moment he too arrived at the top of the Mountain, Shifu and Die Feng were there waiting for him.

"In my study now." Mo Yuan said softly as Die Feng glared at him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 949 29
During her sophomore year in college Weiwei had been streaming her pvp battles to make extra money while attending University. She never showed her f...
4.4K 195 101
The Renge Clan is led by the fierce and decorated Master Yei, who tramples on any and everything to get the mystical assassin Clan where they are nee...
872K 34.7K 45
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
16.4K 545 22
Lalisa Manoban is a senior at YG High and has her whole life ahead of her. While waiting for her friends Jennie, Jisoo and Nayeon at Mad Coffee, she...