The Survivors

By WynterReign

A plane crash lands on a remote island in the Pacific Ocean. Only twelve survivors. No adults and no parents... More

Author's Note
Official "The Survivors" Trailer (REMADE)
Character Guide
Prologue
Chapter 1-Chaos on the Beach
Chapter 2-Heroics
Chapter 3-The Leader Rises
Chapter 4-Keep Calm, Don't Panic
Chapter 5-Checkup
Chapter 6-The Bonfire
Chapter 8-Teren's Little Adventure
Chapter 9-Good Morning
Author's Note 2
Chapter 10-The Funeral
Chapter 11-Ayden Decides He's a Helpful Jerk
Chapter 12-Productive and Confused
Chapter 13-The Storm
Chapter 14-Lullabies and Marco Polo
Chapter 15-The Adventures of Sarah and Lukas
Chapter 16-Return to the Beach
Chapter 17-What Remains
Chapter 18-Elliot's Special Mission
Chapter 19-Jennifer's Moonlit Walk
Chapter 20-Darkness Lurks in the Shadows
Chapter 21-Lukas the Night Watch
Chapter 22-Go Find Water
Chapter 23-The Explanation
Chapter 24-The Night Comes
Chapter 25-Thalia's Grieving Day
Author's Note 4
Chapter 26-Samuel Hunts
Chapter 27-Brothers Unite
Chapter 28-Shark for Dinner
Chapter 29-Bree's Story
Chapter 30-Less Granola Bars, More Food
Chapter 31-Thalia's Secret
Chapter 32-Teren's Letter
Chapter 33-Sandcastles
Chapter 34-Shane Plots Revenge
Chapter 35-Guilt and Charity Balls
Chapter 36-Jennifer's Curse
Chapter 37-Ayden's Encounter
Chapter 38-Shock and Awe
Chapter 39-Sunset Memories
Chapter 40-Darkness Lurks Inside Us All
Chapter 41-Ayden's Lazy Morning
Chapter 42-The Attack
Chapter 43-The Return
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
ANNOUNCEMENT | RELEASE OF REIMAGINED EDITION

Chapter 7-Transformers

1.2K 90 23
By WynterReign

To Aurora808 who gave me amazing feedback and always made my day with her advice.

I scream at the top of my lungs trying to throw myself forward. I twist my body violently trying to claw at the sand. It flies everywhere blinding me a couple times. The sky is still pitch black covered with beautiful stars, I can even see the Milky Way. But it's not the time for stargazing. My mother is alive, and she's being held captive by someone. I need to save her!

"LEVI STOP!" Bree screams at me, her arms locked around my stomach holding me back. Samuel grabs my legs trying to yank me backwards, "Stop it! You're drunk!" he shouts at me.

I scream louder thrashing violently, "No I'm not! I saw her! I saw her!!"

"Get-, get something to knock him out! He's going crazy!" Sarah shouts from nearby. I whip my head back trying to hit someone's head. I twist my body quickly making a trench. I buck my legs trying to get them out of Samuel's tight grip.

"Stop it Levi! Please!" Jennifer begs from somewhere by me.

"LET ME GO!!" I howl and arch my back and crawl desperately at the sand.

I hear Elliot crying in the background and more shouting fill the air. Orders to take me down. I won't let them. My mother is alive after all that. I'm not going to let her go so easily.

"Stop guys! Let him explain!" Shane shouts taking my side. I hear Thalia moaning, still laying on the ground and hungover. I got over mine a while ago, I still feel sick to my stomach but my head's clear. Fresh adrenaline did that. Ayden was up the second I started screaming, he must be an experienced drinker because he had no trouble getting up. Oliver is still knocked out on the ground though. Lukas is throwing up by the bonfire because he drank earlier as well. I'm grateful for their hangovers, it gives me less captors.

I growl through gritted teeth and let out another scream, "Let me go!!"

Ayden jumps in front of me and tries to grab my wrists. I panic thinking they'll see my arm but then I remember it's pitch black and I'm still wearing my jacket and gloves. I am sitting up and being held back by Bree who is surprisingly strong with Samuel holding my legs from in front of me. I throw myself forward with all my might and finally break from Bree's grip.

I throw myself forward and slam into Samuel knowing I have to take him out first. He seems like the strongest one here. I need to get to Mom. I have to save her. I had put her ring in my pocket and I pray I don't lose it. I tackle Samuel and fist my arm raising it back as fast as I can. Samuel lays on his back trying to kick me off. His foot meets my stomach before I can strike and I fly back feeling even more sick.

I land on my back and cough loudly and trying scrambling to my feet. Ayden attacks and jumps on top of me trying to pin me down.

"Idiot! Stop fighting!" he shouts at me.

I scream and arch my back trying to get up. He sits on my stomach and struggles to grab my flailing arms. I kick my legs and then try wrapping them around his waist. I try kneeing his back as hard as I can. I thrash violently feeling like a patient in a mental institution. They'd put me in a straitjacket if they had one.

Bree rushes over sitting behind my head and grabbing one of my arms. I panic and fight as much as I can, not caring if I hurt anyone. Then I start screaming for help hoping someone drunk has enough strength to help me out.

"HELP ME!! Help!!" I shout as loud as I can. My throat is starting to burn. Samuel runs to my other side and grabs ahold of my other arm. Their hands tighten on my wrist, making them hurt. Ayden still sits on my top and is shouting at me to stop being stupid.

Sarah stands off the to side trying to shout orders to someone who isn't attacking me. I close my eyes as sand flies into my eyes, "Let me go! Please!" I start begging, my voice hoarse and desperate.

"Stop fighting!" Ayden shouts at me and then I feel a hard slap on my face. I cry out wincing from the stinging pain. I feel tears in my eyes, "Let me go!" I scream furiously at Ayden.

I stop struggling and glare darkly at him, "I swear if you don't let me go I'll-"

"You'll what?" he taunts with a snide look, "Attack?"

I scowl at him, "I'll kill you."

"Wrong, you don't have the guts to be a murderer."

I growl at him, "I saw my mom, alive. She's alive I have her ring, she gave me her ring tonight. You can see the footprints in the sand. She said she was being kept here! I have to save her!"

I arch my neck to see Bree, "You touched the ring, you saw it."

She winces and nods slowly, looking up at them, "Yes, I did."

Ayden groans loudly throwing his head back, "Then why didn't you say so!?" he yells at her.

Bree frowns, "Because he was flipping out and was going to take off running into the jungle!"

"I couldn't lose her!" I argue giving her a look.

"Everyone just calm down," Samuel says in a forced calm voice, "I'm sure she's fine, if she's here."

"She is," I huff shooting a look at him.

"We trust you Levi but you can't flip out like that! And in our defense, you were drunk," Bree argues still holding down my arm. I open my mouth to argue but then I realize something. I freeze and realize she's holding down my left arm. My jacket somehow is unzipped and slightly showing the black metal of my upper arm. My glove has flown off as well. I swallow and give her a pleading look, "Let go."

She shakes her head, "No, not until you calm down and promise not to go running into the jungle."

I bite my lip, "Please, let go of my arm."

She gives me a look, "Why-?"

"Do it," I say quickly trying to hide my panic. I feel the muscle inside my shoulder pulling from my arm being restrained. I feel like she's going to rip my arm off. I feel the threads of metal tugging inside my shoulder giving me shivers. She needs to let go. She leans on my arm making the feeling grow. I cringe and try scooting towards her, "Please stop," I beg with wide eyes.

Then I see her hand tighten on the wrist. She frowns down at me and opens her mouth to say something but nothing comes. She studies me with a confused expression. Then her jaw drops and she pales. Her grip instantly loosening. NO. I yank my arm away from her and then tuck it under my back so she doesn't see. My heart is pounding with panic.

"What?" Ayden asks giving her a weird look.

Bree swallows and looks down at me slowly, "Your arm..."

The most desperate, terrified, hoarse scream cuts through the night giving me goosebumps. Ayden jumps slightly paling and staring at the jungle with wide eyes. Samuel gasps softly and tenses and I hear Jennifer yelp. The scream continues, ragged and terrified. It sounds more like an animal if anything.

The scream continues and grows louder, then I hear the leaves rustling loudly. Everyone jumps off me and gets into some kind of a fighting stance. Then I see a person burst from the treeline, screaming. Then my heart stops when I see who it is.

Teren.

Teren is screaming.

The one who can't speak, knowing it's extremely painful to do so. And he's screaming.

He stumbles out of the jungle continuing to scream.

"Oh my God," I say quickly and then run towards him. Everyone runs after me but following me instead of chasing me. Teren stops and drops to his knees in tears. He holds his throat and bows his head down.

"What happened?!" I ask quickly skidding to a stop. I drop to my knees next to him and rub his back.

He shakes his head and quickly looks back at the jungle with panicked eyes. Then he points with a trembling hand. His face pale as the moonlight, his eyes gleaming with tears. The red flames of the bonfire continue on, lighting the beach for us to see. I look at the jungle with fearful eyes, terrified to find out what made Teren scream. He never talks. To scream is a whole other level of pain and terror.

The flickering shadows and light are cast on the jungle treeline. The darkness of the jungle is terrifying enough. But my fear grows when I hear the chilling howl of a wolf. My body slacks and my stomach throws up all the acid, food, and liquor I had today. I groan stumbling away from Teren. The fear is dizzying and rising up my throat. Wait, is that fear?

I turn away from everyone and throw up on the beach. I retch loudly clutching my stomach feeling miserable and terrified.

"Oh God," Samuel whispers sounding as scared as I am.

I continue to throw up feeling my body trembling. I cough loudly and finally stop. My throat burns painfully and my nose feels clogged from the throw up. I cough out tiny pieces of something and I don't dare look down. I feel saliva dripping from my mouth. My head continues to spin and my limbs are trembling. I feel terrible. I'll never drink again.

Ayden curses quietly, eyes glued to the dark jungle, "Wolves," he whispers, voice trembling.

Jennifer runs up to me and rubs my back. I am crouched over holding my stomach with my head bowed down. She pulls me away from the throw up and holds me in her arms which does nothing to comfort me. There are wolves in the jungle.

"There can't be wolves," Sarah whispers, now standing by Teren. "T-This is an island."

Elliot has fallen silent and finally stopped crying. I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. Teren coughs hoarsely and stays on the ground.

"Apparently there can," Shane replies quietly, limping over to us. His leg is now wrapped and treated for infection, but I'm still worried.

"What do we do?" Jennifer asks shakily. I slowly sit up and wipe my mouth with my sleeve. My head is extremely light and I feel like I'm about to pass out.

"Can't do anything," I croak softly, everything burns. I take a deep breath and get a strong whiff of the acidic throw up. It's enough to almost make me throw up again. I swallow weakly wanting to wash my mouth out but I can't since I can't use ocean water.

"What were you doing in the jungle?" Sarah asks Teren directly with angry eyes, but I can tell she's still scared.

Teren swallows and winces again, then looks back at the jungle. Then back at us before signing Mom, locking eyes with me. Samuel reels back with wide eyes, "You saw his mom?"

I want to smirk and tell them I told them so, but it's not the time and I'm not that immature. He nods staring at me with wide eyes, still pale as a ghost. I know what he's thinking. She's supposed to be dead.

"She's here, on the island," I croak meeting their gazes, "guess I'm not crazy after all."

Bree winces, "I'm sorry Levi."

I nod at her, "It's okay."

"Wait, what about his mom?" Shane asks confusedly.

I sigh loudly, hesitating to explain. Then I suddenly realize I have no more grief. What happened was only an accident, she never died. I feel that weight lift off my chest and replaced with relief. She really is alive after all. Teren saw her.

"My mom was supposed to be dead, but not because of the plane crash. It happened a week ago. She died," I explain slowly meeting their gazes.

"Hold on, you mean she died a week ago?" Ayden asks looking extremely confused.

I nod, "Supposed to have died I guess. I was in the car with her in the front seat. We were talking and then this semi rammed us head on, it ripped off her side of the car and took her with it."

Bree gasps, "Oh my God."

"Yeah, and I put my arm out to protect her. What good that did," I say sarcastically, sitting up on my own kinda leaning away from Jennifer.

"Hold on, if you put your arm in front of her... and the semi took her side away... then how is your arm still there?" Samuel asks gesturing to me, then shakes his head, "That makes no sense."

I tense and inhale sharply still not wanting to tell them. Then Jennifer gasps softly, "When you were drunk... you said your arm was gone... was that true?" she asks cautiously.

I stiffen and turn to her with wide eyes, "I said that?" I ask mortified with my drunk self. She nods slowly and then looks down at my arm. I tense and impulsively pull my left arm towards me, cradling it with my other arm.

"Wait, wait, wait, you have a fake arm?" Ayden asks bluntly cocking his head at me.

Great.

I close my eyes and sigh not wanting to say anything. Why can't I be silent like Teren? Suddenly, Ayden bursts out laughing. I look up sharply to find him laughing at me. Sarah gives him a look, "What?" she asks him.

He keeps laughing, "Oh so that's what you were hiding!" he says loudly and keeps laughing, "That's why you didn't want to be checked up by the girls or want me around! I guess Teren already knows!"

I bite my lip and glare at him, "Shut up Ayden."

But he just keeps laughing at me. Bree studies me for a moment, "Your left arm," she says, meaning it to be a question. I sigh loudly and nod at her. Then I slip off my jacket leaving me shirtless and hold it up for them to see. Still feeling the burning shame of it. But at least it doesn't remind me of my mom's death anymore. The smooth black metal glints in the bonfire flames.

"Whoa," Shane says in shock walking towards me. Jennifer stares at it in shock and slightly reaches out to touch it.

"It... took your arm. All of it," she whispers, her voice soft and sympathetic. "Why didn't you tell us?"

I shake my head, lowering my arm and setting it in my lap, "It reminded me of her death. It was a reminder of my failure to protect her. I don't like talking about it."

Samuel nods slowly, "I get that."

Ayden finally stopped laughing, "So you're... a cyborg."

I give him a look, "It's just a metal arm."

He smirks, "Cyborg Levi."

"Levi?"

I look over my shoulder to find Elliot standing there clutching his teddy bear tightly. His eyes shining with tears. I sigh unable to be upset anymore, I'm exhausted from all of this. But at least my mom is alive. Everything feels like chaos. Wolves. Mom being alive. Everyone knowing about my arm. Surviving. The crash. It's too much for one day.

"Hey... are you okay?" I ask him softly. His eyes drop to my arm and they widen with shock.

"T-Transformer?"

I stare at him with a surprised expression. I hear someone stifle a laugh.

"Um."

He brightens, "You're a transformer!" he exclaims excitedly. He runs up to me and grabs my left arm and studies it with curious eyes. He pets the smooth metal, "Are you an autobot or decepticon?" he asks seriously looking up into my eyes. I gape at him stunned with surprise. I didn't even know transformers could be human...

"What do you think?" Jennifer asks playfully, smiling at him.

Elliot cocks his head and continues to pet my arm, "Hmm, it's black and looks like a decepticon..."

"Are they the good or bad guys?" Shane cuts in sounding a little confused.

"Bad," Elliot answer simply, "but they're cooler."

I nod slowly, "Uh huh."

"I thought they were half robot and half car or something," Ayden asks in a taunting voice.

Elliot shrugs, "It still looks like a transformer."

"Okay..." is all I can say.

Elliot brightens, "Do you have guns? Oh! Oh! Can you transform? Are you on a secret mission? Is that how you saved me?" he asks quickly, as if he totally forgot the recent events.

"Uh I don't have guns and I can't transform... I'm n-"

"He's on a secret mission," Jennifer interrupts taking Elliot's hand, "but he can't tell you, and you can't tell anyone either," she whispers playfully. I almost tell him she's lying but then I see the look on his face. He is smiling so happily, it reminds me of all that's innocent. He giggles, "Okay!"

"Hey guys... remember the wolves and the ghost mom that's running around?" Sarah asks giving us a look, sounding annoyed.

"Yeah but then Levi threw up and Elliot came," Bree argues lightly, looking at her sharply.

"Chill," Shane says putting a hand up.

"What do we do?" Samuel asks looking at me. I slowly stand up, wobbling on my feet. I cough and look up at them weakly. I'm extremely relieved my mom is alive now and somewhere on the island. But I'm scared she may died from the wolves or those people holding her could hurt her. But it's the middle of the night. I'm still a bit hungover, same for everyone else.

Should we risk a search team now? Maybe we should wait until morning. Mom didn't look very hurt when she came to me... and she's probably been here a week. They can't hurt her, can they? And those wolves... we need weapons and a way to make a trail. Maybe we do need to wait until morning, it's safer and we can see better.

"We're exhausted," I say finally, "it's the middle of the night and some of us are hungover. We can't track her in the night either and we have no weapons to defend ourselves. We should wait until morning, when we're rested and ready to run for our lives if we meet the wolves."

"But what if they attack while we're sleeping?" Shane asks nervously.

I sigh knowing what we have to do. But part of me doesn't want to say it. I close my eyes, "Night watches."

"Great, who first?" Sarah asks putting her hands on her hips. I look at her and hold my gaze hoping everyone else does the same. They catch on and stare at Sarah. She looks around with a calculating expression. Then she gasps, "Seriously?" she complains loudly.

I nod, "You asked."

She groans loudly, "FINE."

Ayden smirks, "You know... I could stay up with you..."

She gasps staring at him horrified, "Go to sleep."

He laughs mockingly before cutting off sharply, staring at her with a cruel smile, "No."

She groans and gives me a pleading look, "Get him to stop."

I put my hands up, "He's all yours."

Jennifer stifles a laugh and covers her mouth looking amused. Sarah scoffs loudly and stomps back over to the large bonfire. I walk over to Teren and hold my hand out to him. He looks up with a fearful expression and points back at the jungle. I nod at him, "I know."

He shakes his head as he takes my hand. Everyone starts walking back to the bonfire and settling back down. I can feel the tension in the air, crackling like flames of the bonfire. I glance back nervously at the dark jungle hoping the wolves keep their distance because of the fire and not draw them in. I pray that Mom stays safe out there tonight.

Teren grabs my shoulder and turns me to face him, still shaking his head. I give him a look, "What?"

He stares dead into my eyes and opens his mouth.

"No Teren, stop, whatever it is you can sign it. Don't hurt yourself," I tell him putting my hand up to stop him.

He scowls looking frustrated, then leans in and whispers into my ear, "Funny," his voice suddenly clear and normal, "I was going to say something was different about my voice."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 270 19
Going on a school trip abroad can be described with many juxtaposing thoughts, but should never be linked to fatalities or injury. Juniper Pearl Foxx...
52 3 22
The best place to start the story is at the very beginning, Aily just hadn't figured where it all had begun. Her whole life she had felt like her puz...
116K 11.6K 50
The coasts have always been peaceful, until the waters revolt against the land. In 2047, long-term marine pollution alters the genetics of aquatic or...
32 1 1
A mysterious world... ... a young orphan girl, alone, adrift on a dangerous ocean... ... an ocean with countless Islands! Will the girl find friends...