My Perfect Mistake

By SimplyAmber96

Every girl in school idolizes Aaron Evans, the school player. He's drop dead gorgeous, football captain, has... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 (Part 1)
Chapter 19 (Part 2)
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24 (Part 1)
Chapter 24 (Part 2)
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Sequel!!

Chapter 11

56.7K 1.6K 244
By SimplyAmber96

Chapter 11

*Aaron*

Today Victoria and I have been dating for a month and a half. Sophie still hasn’t warmed up to her so Victoria is going to spend the day with us. I’m hoping Sophie will warm up to her soon, because if she doesn’t I’m worried I may have to end things with Victoria. My girlfriend and daughter have to like each other.

“Daddy, no.” Sophie whined when I gave her the news. “She bad.” she looked up at me with a pouty face that just made me smile. She’s so adorable even when she‘s upset.

“You’ll get over it.” I said, picking her up. She threw her weight down in hopes of making it hard for me to carry her, but she’s only thirty-two pounds and I bench press two hundred.

I carried her down the stairs and into the kitchen to get breakfast. I sat her in the chair and she put her head down on the table.

“Throw a tantrum all you want, it’s not going to change anything.” I told her, cracking some eggs into a bowl.

“You’re mean.” she said.

I looked at her and she had her arms crossed and an angry look on her face. I wanted to smile at her cuteness, but I’d rather have her more cheerful.

“I’m mean?” I asked, making my voice sound sad. I poked out my bottom lip and made it tremble. “You hurt my feelings Soph.” I made my voice crack. “I can’t believe you said that to me. I thought you loved me.” I made a few sobbing noises and acted as if I was wiping away tears.

“No!” she yelled. I heard her hop from her chair and soon she was hugging my leg. “I’m sorry. No cry.”

I picked her up and kept my pouty face. She placed her small hands on either side of my face and looked into my eyes.

“You don’t think I’m mean?” I asked her.

“No.” she shook her head. 

“Good.” I smiled. “I love you.” I began to quickly kiss her all over her face and she began to laugh.

“I love you too.” she said through her laughter. “Stop!” she tried pushing me away.

“Okay.” I say, putting her down. “Go play until it’s time to eat.”

She ran off into the living room to play as I made breakfast. Hopefully I can keep her in a good mood up until Victoria gets here. Otherwise she’ll be crankier than ever. I want this day to go well. I at least want Victoria to be in Sophie’s good graces. We need something to build from.

***

The doorbell rang and I looked at my watch. It’s almost 10:00. Victoria’s a little early. I looked at Sophie who laid on the floor coloring a picture and singing softly to herself. Let’s hope this goes well.

I got up to answer the door. Victoria stood in dark jeans, a blue sweater, and black boots. She held a medium sized teddy bear in her hand.

“Hi.” she said with a smile. “I hope this is okay.” she gestured to the teddy bear.

“Though I don’t want you to buy your way into her heart, this one time is alright. And it may work.”

I let Victoria in and she stood awkwardly beside me. Sophie didn’t even look up from her picture.

“Sophie, sweetie.” I said, getting her attention. She looked up and her attention went straight to Victoria.

“Hi.” Victoria said, giving her a small wave. She slowly approached Sophie then knelt down to be more level with her. “I found this teddy bear and thought you might like to have him.” she held out the teddy bear to Sophie and Sophie’s eyes lit up.

“For me?” she asked Victoria.

“Yes.”

Sophie eagerly took the teddy bear and held it close. Victoria looked back at me with a smile.

“What do you say, Soph?” I asked.

“Thank you.” she responded.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” Victoria replied.

I let out a sigh of relief. This is starting to go well. Sophie seems to think more of Victoria now that she got a gift from her.

“That was easy.” Victoria said, standing up. She came over to me and I wrapped my arms around her waist.

“This is a one time thing, right?” I asked. “I don’t want you to keep getting her gifts.”

“The bear was really just an ice breaker.”

“Good. So what else do you want to do today?”

“Wasn’t the point to spend time with Sophie?”

“Yeah, but that means there’s no us time.” I pouted.

“I’m sure you’ll be fine.” she reached up and gave me a quick kiss.

She pulled away from me and went back over to Sophie. She sat on the floor in front of her and pointed to the picture Sophie was drawing.

“This is pretty.” Victoria said to Sophie.

“It’s a pretty princess.” Sophie explained.

“Oh really? Well she is a very pretty princess. Do you know any real princesses?”

I sat on the couch and relaxed as I watched them bond. I smiled as Sophie ran to her small dress up box and pulled out a plastic tiara. She placed it on her head and gave a big smile.

“Now I’m a pretty princess!” Sophie exclaimed.

“I see.” Victoria said. “But every princess needs a prince.”

“Daddy is my prince.” Sophie declared.

“Of course I am.” I say. “Who else would it be?”

I stood then picked up Sophie. I danced us around the living room and smiled as Sophie laughed. I can never get enough of her laughter. It’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard. I make my goal to make her laugh at least twice a day.

I spin us around one more time before placing her back on the floor. I plopped down on the couch and sighed.

“You sure can dance.” I said to Sophie. “I’m pooped. Maybe you should go play some more while I rest.’

“Okay, daddy.”

Sophie began to pull out some more of her toys and Victoria came to sit next to me.

“Seeing you with her is the cutest thing.” Vicky said. “You really are a great dad.”

“I try.” I shrugged. “It’s not easy, you know. I some how have to make time for her and school. I can see why teen parents drop out. When I try to do my homework, she wants to play or needs something. And I don’t have enough time to be a teenager and hang out with my friends. I have to be an adult. But I wouldn’t change a thing. She’s my little girl and I’d do anything for her.”

“Do you think it would be easier if her mom was here to help?”

“I haven’t really though about it. I haven’t thought of her mother since the day she left Sophie on my doorstep. I’m guessing she wouldn’t be that good of a mother since it was so easy for her to leave her newborn child behind.”

“What will you tell Sophie when she’s older and wants to know where her mother is?”

I’ve been asking myself that question since the day Sophie came into my life. Should I tell her the truth or make up a story?

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.”

***

I put Sophie down for her nap when she was becoming cranky. Once I was sure she was asleep, Victoria and I hung out in my room.

“So uh, Sophie’s birthday is coming up.” I said. “It’s next weekend, actually. I’m throwing her a small party. Do you want to come?”

“Of course I’ll come.” she smiled. “I wouldn’t miss the pretty princess’s birthday. What’s the theme going to be?”

“I don’t know, I was thinking fairies. It’s simple and girly.”

“I could come over and help set up if you’d like.”

“You don’t have to do that. My mom can help.”

“But I want to. I can take some of the stress away from you and your mom. It’s no big deal.”

How did I find someone as kind hearted as her? I don’t deserve her. I’ve treated people so badly. I was a bully who didn’t care about anyone but myself. Maybe I’m not like that anymore, but I’ve done more bad than good.

“Hey you two.” my mom said. I looked up to see her standing in my doorway. “I forgot you were coming over today. I wouldn’t have gone out.”

“We don’t need your supervision, mom.”

“I just like to be cautious. I wasn’t there the last time to stop you, but I’m going to be there this time.”

“Okay mom, thanks for the reassurance. Can you leave us alone now?”

“Okay, okay.” she put her hands up in surrender. “Victoria, are you staying for dinner?”

“Uh, sure. Thank you.”

My mom left and I let out a sigh. She was successful in making the atmosphere awkward.

“Sorry about her.” I apologized. “Sometimes she doesn’t have a filter.”

“It’s alright.” she smiled. “Parents are here to embarrass us.”

*Victoria*

I headed over to Aaron’s house to help set up for Sophie’s birthday. There’s only going to be Aaron and his mother, Caleb, and me. Although there’s only going to be four of us, Aaron isn’t holding back on her birthday set up. I think it’s sweet how he makes sure she gets the best of the best.

I pulled into his already full driveway and headed to the front door. I rang the doorbell and the door quickly swung open.

“Come in.” Aaron said with a smile.

I entered and saw Caleb and Ms. Evans putting up streamers around the living room.

“You  really didn’t have to come help.” Aaron said.

“Oh stop. I’m already here so there’s no getting rid of me.” I smirked. “Where do I start?”

“I was just about to pin up her backdrop, I could use some help.”

“Alright then.”

I helped Aaron put up a fairy village backdrop onto the living room wall. After, I stacked her presents neatly on a table. I then placed a pink tablecloth over the dining room table. Caleb set up the plates and cups as Ms. Evans placed the cake in the center of the table.

“I think that’s all.” Aaron said.

“It looks good.” I said, looking around at our work. “Where’s Sophie?”

“Upstairs napping. I timed this perfectly so that she’d be asleep and out of our way.”

“She’s going to love it.” I smiled.

The four of us sat and hung out for about half an hour until Sophie came downstairs, holding her teddy bear and rubbing her eyes. She wore a purple polka dot onesie and her hair was messy.

“Hey birthday girl.” Aaron said, walking over and picking her up. “Are you ready for your party?” she nodded and gave a smile. “Okay, let’s get you dressed.”

Aaron carried Sophie upstairs to her ready while the remaining three of us began gathered around the birthday cake. The cake was shaped into the number three by cupcakes. The icing connecting the cupcakes was white and pink with toy fairies placed at the ends and the middle. Mrs. Evans lit the candles that were scattered on the cake when we heard Aaron’s footsteps on the stairs. He held Sophie who now wore a pink tutu with white leggings, a pink top, fairy wings, and a crown. I couldn’t help but smile at how cute she looks.

“Yay!” Sophie said, clapping her hands.

We sang her happy birthday, which she smiled hugely through, then she blew out her candles. Aaron then gave her half of a cupcake and he ate the other half.

“This turned out great.” I said to Aaron, taking his hand. “Sophie really seems to love it.” I watched Sophie as she played happily with one of the fairy toys.

“Yeah she does. Thanks for helping out today. We got everything finished a lot faster.”

“It was nothing.” I shrugged. “I’m just glad you invited me.”

Aaron leaned in and met his lips with mine. I immediately kissed him back, forgetting where we are. I reached up and tangled my hands in his hair as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer.

Someone nudged me hard in the back, pushing me forward and breaking the kiss. I turned to look at the person and saw Caleb with a smirk on his face.

“We’re at a three year olds birthday party.” he said. “Let’s keep things rated G.” he gave a smirk and I smiled.

“He’s right.” I said. “Sophie, how about we open your presents now?”

“Yeah!” she exclaimed, jumping up and down.

I handed her gifts to her one by one and she stopped to play with each one a little before moving on to the next gift. As Sophie was unwrapping her last present, the doorbell rang.

*Aaron*

I reluctantly got up to answer the door. Who could this be? No one else knows about Sophie’s birthday party. I opened the door to see a girl my age with medium length light brown hair and green eyes. She had an oval face with full lips. She was thin, but curvy and wore a flowery dress. She looks familiar, but I can’t seem to place her.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“I’m not surprised you don’t remember me.” she said. “You wouldn’t be Aaron Evans if you did.”

“So, who are you?”

Why is she beating around the bush? I need to get back to Sophie’s party. And it’s beginning to irritate me that I can’t remember her.

“I’m Grace Valentine.” she said, instantly bringing a wave of anger through me. Now I see it. Her eyes are the same as Sophie’s.

“What the hell do you want?” I asked her, trying to control my anger.

“I want to see my daughter.”

“You don’t have a daughter. Sophie is my daughter and I’m not letting you anywhere near her.”

“She’s my daughter too. I gave birth to her.”

“You also left her on my doorstep and handed over all of her rights to me.”

“My parents kicked me out as soon as I got pregnant, and I don’t believe in abortions. I thought about calling you, but I figured you wouldn’t care seeing as you’re a player. I was angry that you’d do something like that to me. I found a place to stay and as soon as Sophia was born, I brought her here and left her with you so you’d go through what I would have had to. My parents let me back home right after.”

If it were anyone else, I would feel bad that she was kicked out of her home and had to find somewhere else to go. But since it’s Grace, all I feel is irritated.

“Aaron?” Victoria said from behind me. I turned to see her standing in the doorway. “We were wondering where you were.”

“Just give me a minute.” I said quickly.

“Okay.” Victoria looked at Grace for a moment before going back inside.

“Who’s that?” Grace asked.

“None of your business. Leave and don’t come back.”

I went inside and shut the door behind me. I leaned my back against the door and slid down until I was sitting. I ran my hand through my hair then leaned my head back against the door. Things are going well between Sophie and Vicky. Sophie sees Vicky as part of the family now. I don’t need Grace coming around and confusing Sophia. Why come back after all this time? She can’t really want Sophie back after giving her up, can she?

************************************************************************************************************

I thought I'd focus a little more on Aaron and Sophie in this chapter than I have in past chapters. Hopefully this chapter wasn't too boring.

Please comment, vote, and/or fan (follow). Thanks!! ;-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.6K 3.6K 31
"Privacy is only temporary between you and me." *** At four years old, Sophia was spared the fate that befell the rest of her family. The daughter of...
46.9K 7.1K 35
[WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST] With only one month left to live, an eighteen-year-old is forced to attend high school and enjoy new experiences: parties, fu...
409K 9.1K 79
Elle has just turned 15 years old. Mason is her boyfriend, they've been in a relationship for 6 months or so. Elle realise she can't say 'no' to him...
251K 7K 26
I wrote this when I was about 13, A LOT of it doesn't make sense. Check out my other works that are a lot better. Sophia Miller is your average 17 y...