Darker Days

By JFarley

A Rick Grimes love story. ******EDITING******** Rachel was stuck on her own in a world where the dead walk ar... More

* 1 *
* 2 *
* 3 *
* 4 *
* 5 *
* 6 *
* 7 *
* 8 *
* 9 *
* 10 *
* 11 *
* 13 *
* 14 *
* 15 *
* 16 *
* 17 *
* 18 *
* 19 *
* 20 *
* 21 *
* 22 *
* 23 *
* 24 *
* 25 *
* 26 *

* 12 *

4.5K 126 21
By JFarley

©JRF2015-R2021

I woke up to my darkened cell. I thought I'd feel that cold loneliness that I had felt when Patchy held me captive but instead I am wrapped in a blanket of warmth. I look up to see Rick lying next to me. The last thing I remember was collapsing into his arms outside the prison. I stare at his face for a while, until he finally blinks his eyes open and smiles at me. "You're awake."

I nod and ask him, "How long have I been sleeping?"

"Only about a day and a half," he sighs with a nervous sounding chuckle, "I was starting to think you weren't going to wake up at all." I feel his arms squeeze around me tighter as he hugs me and then kisses the top of my head. I smile and rest my head on his chest as I reassure him, "I'm back and awake now." Daryl suddenly appears in the doorway clearing his throat.

"I see your girl's awake now. Did you two kiss and make up?" I see Rick's face go a dark shade of red before he turns his head away. Daryl lets out a small laugh as I stare at Rick. He finally clears his throat and sits up. "How's Merle getting along?"

"Keepin' to himself mostly," Daryl shrugs, "he's bein' behaved though." I sit up, moving to the edge of the bed beside Rick before standing and stretching.

"I think I am going to take a walk and let you gentlemen discuss whatever it is Daryl came here to discuss." I wink at Daryl and then turn to shoot Rick a quick smile before leaving.

Michonne is outside, sitting alone. I take a seat next to her. "How are you feeling?" She startles a bit and then looks over at me and shrugs. "Still playing the cold, silent woman part I see." I joke.

"Yep." She snaps back quickly and sternly, popping the p on the end for emphasis.

"What are you thinking about right now?" I ask, trying to get her to open up, at least a little bit.

"You are not going to go away are you?" She lets out a low growl as she turns to look at me. I shake my head.

"My sword," she says after staring at me for what feels like ages.

"That must be some sword," I say smiling back at her.

"It is." She says a lot softer now, almost dreamlike. "It's been by my side since...." she trails off and I wait to see if she is going to finish. She doesn't.

"Since?" I ask finally urging her to finish. Michonne turns away from my gaze.

"A long time." She says, still unable to look at me. I think I hear a small crack in her voice. I look down at my feet, my heart is breaking for her. There is a story behind this thing. One day, hopefully, she'll trust me enough to know that story.

"Well," I sigh, "I guess we're just going to have to go back there and get it back." Her head snaps back to me.

"Not you," she said sternly, a fire raging behind her brown eyes. "I am not putting you in that situation again. Not for something that I really shouldn't even be worrying about anyway. Not like I can't find another or a different weapon of choice."

"But that particular object means something to you. I want to help you get it back. We need something from our previous world to hold onto in this world." I look around for Rick or either of the Dixon's. I am pretty sure they would throw a major fit if they heard what I was about to tell her. "How about we go in a couple of days? Make sure we have plenty of time to rest up, build our strength." Michonne smiles and then pulls me into a hug.

"You don't have to," she whispers in my ear, "but thank you." After a couple of minutes, I push away, knowing she is getting uncomfortable with this situation.

"Well," I slap my hands on my thighs and then stand up, "I think I am going to see if Hershel needs any help. Need to start pulling my weight around here again." I glance back shooting her a wink before leaving.

I've been at it for about an hour when Merle shows up. He immediately grabs a hoe and starts helping. I smile over at him. "Sleep well?" I laugh, "You missed half the day."

"Slept better than I have in years. Could always get some good rest in places like this." He smirks, "always felt like a home." His smile fades as he looks back at the solid brick buildings. A more melancholy tone comes into his voice. "That's pretty stupid huh?"

"Home is wherever you make it," I reply, moving closer to him and resting a hand on his shoulder. He shoves it off almost as if he is angry and then he looks at me rolling his eyes. I start to step away as I notice that playful smirk of his is sitting on his lips.

"Whatever, get back to work woman." He says almost laughing now, "geez, why you gotta keep trying to make me into some pansy who talks about his feelings?" I smile back at him with a shrug.

"Cause deep down you know you are." I laugh as his jaw drops open.

"Oh no, them's fightin' words Lil gal." He drops his hoe and steps up, looking down into my face. Had he not had that smirk still on his lips I may have been afraid.

"Bring it on sissy boy." I laugh as he stoops down, wrapping an arm around my waist and slinging me over his shoulder. He pretends to slam me into the dirt, kneeling over me, and his fists moving in a pumping motion but never making physical contact. "Give up smart ass?" He asks as he starts tickling my sides, causing me to burst out in a fit of laughter. "Say, uncle!" He yells out. My laughter isn't allowing me to get the word free from my lips. "Say it!"

"Uncle!" I finally yell in between gasps of air. He stands, holding his hand out for mine, and lifts me to my feet. "Now seriously, back to work." He orders playfully before picking up that hoe again and staring at it. "Not the kind of hoe I'm used to playin' with." He pokes his tongue out slightly, that smirk growing into a genuine smile as he chuckles.

"Gross," I say as I make gagging sounds. "Why don't you just shut your trap and do some work?" The conversation flows the entire time we are working. Merle is a pretty laid back guy if people would take the chance to get to know him.

Carol yells down that dinner is ready. I look around and then back at Merle, "is it really that late already?" He nods and I turn to walk toward the cafeteria. I turn to say something to Merle and realize I am walking inside alone as he seems to have disappeared somewhere behind me. Everyone is sitting in small groups around the kitchen. I walk past a couple of tables to sit across from Rick, who is holding Judith. Carl smiles up at me from beside his father. "Hey Rachel," he says as I sit down.

"You don't mind if I join you, do you?" I look Carl in the eyes as I ask my question. I can tell what he is going to say by the twinkle in them. It always feels good when someone shows such enthusiasm for your presence.

"Of course, who else are you gonna sit with?" Carl grins mischievously, "we're the cool table."

"Oh my!" I gasp, placing my hand over my chest, "why, I feel so honored to be allowed at the pool table." Carl and I burst out in laughter, while Rick smiles at the two of us. "So, haven't seen you all day, how have you been Chief?" The smile stays plastered on his face as he rolls his eyes. He seems to love it and hate it at the same time. I have been calling him that since we got back. I always get the same adorable reaction. I return his smile as my entire body seems to flush with heat.

"Fine." He says shortly and shrugs, smile fading.

"Hmm, not much for conversation tonight huh?" I turn to face Carl again, "I guess the conversation stuff is up to me and you buddy."

Carl and I are enjoying each other's company and the conversation for a couple of minutes before someone sits next to me. I look over to see Merle. "Hey Lil Gal," he smiles at me.

"Hey, Merle." Rick scoffs and stands up, adjusting Judith on his hip before walking away. "What's eating him?" I ask no one in particular.

"He's been a little grumpy all day," Carl answered as he chewed a bite of food and then quickly shoveled another into his mouth. He stood up, still chewing, and took his plate over to the sink before running after his dad. I shrug and turn to Merle. "So, I noticed you are always going off away from cell block C. Are you not staying with Daryl?" Merle dropped his head before shaking it. He began shoveling food into his mouth. "Why not?" I ask, causing him to drop his fork.

"Ain't nobody wants me in the same cell block."

"Not true," I argue. Merle rolls his eyes. "Daryl does. To be honest, I do too." I smirk and nudge him with my shoulder, " not sure why though."

"Shut up," he laughs.

It took some convincing but Merle finally opened up about it as much as Merle can. The feeling that maybe Merle is starting to feel better about being here begins to creep into my mind. He finishes his food quickly and just leaves. I am now sitting there alone and my thoughts turn to Rick. He seemed so off tonight and I suddenly have an overwhelming need to go talk to him. I put my plate away and quickly make my way down to Rick's cell. He is just laying Judith down in her makeshift bed. She needs a crib. I think as I stare at her on that blanket. "Hey Chief," I say, still not taking my eyes off Judith. "What's going on with you tonight? You seem a little more than agitated."

"Why do you care?" He snarls, "you don't need me. If you're feeling talkative, why don't you go and talk to your good pal Merle." He walks over, standing face to face, and he looks so angry. He quickly snaps the sheet he has hanging to cover his door in between us, essentially slamming the door in my face, or at least that is how it feels. I stand there in shock for a minute wondering where that is even coming from.

"He saw you with Merle earlier today. And then tonight at dinner. He's just a little jealous, give him time. He'll come around as soon as he realizes how silly he is being and that you have absolutely no interest in Merle." I look over my shoulder to see Carol about to walk into her cell for the night. She smiles at me and I return that with a small nod before walking away. Carol is probably right. I just wish I knew where he got the idea there was something to be jealous of. I don't think I did anything inappropriate. On top of that, I didn't even know anything was going on with Rick for me to be able to do anything inappropriate with someone else. I trudge up the stairs to my cell and fall onto the bed.

The light fades and darkness fills this place. Sounds of soft snores fill the hall outside but the sandman seems to have bypassed my little cubicle. I don't know how long I flip-flopped on that bed but I cannot stand it any longer. I slip quietly out into the hall and down the stairs. I slide the door open to walk outside, as quietly as I can, this door is ridiculously squeaky. I only open it enough that I can squeeze outside and I don't bother closing it as not to make any more noise than I already have. I walk out into the brisk night air toward a set of bleachers in the yard.

One of my favorite things about Georgia has always been these cool, clear, starry nights. Millions of stars dotting the black sky, looking down on me, never fails to relax me. There is something noticeably different now that I never would have dreamed though; the groans of the dead. The soundtrack to these cool, clear nights has become a lot more ominous. I take a deep breath and inhale the sweetness of the night air, immediately recognizing my mistake and scrunch up my nose. The smell of these cool, clear nights has become a lot more disgusting. I'll never get used to this smell. "Hey," a gruff voice said from behind me causing me to jump. I broke my gaze from the night sky and spun around with a sigh.

"Geez, Merle. Give someone a heart attack!"

He chuckles, "Sorry, saw you leaving. I just wanted to make sure you were alright." I nod and then turned my gaze back up to the sky before replying.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just wasn't able to sleep and staring at the stars at night always seems to help calm me down." He nods as he stares up at the stars with me. We sit there in silence for a few minutes when he lets out a yawn. I turn to him and smile. "You don't have to stay out here with me. I am a big girl ya know. Plus, we're behind a giant fence."

He sighs, looking at me like an overprotective big brother or something. "I know I don't have to. I want to."

"Go get some sleep. I'll be right behind you, I promise." I smile at him and he returns the gesture. He wraps an arm around my neck and gives me a loving squeeze.

"Okay, but any longer than a couple of minutes and I am coming out here to drag your ass back inside."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

537K 11.6K 50
Carly Jenson was the person who got into trouble, suspended, been bullied, and had a really hard life that she rarely talked about. She always kept i...
277K 9K 61
32 year-old Y/N was all alone on the streets of Atlanta when a man in a sheriffs uniform trots down the road on top of a horse. She decides to join h...
109K 3K 51
"You drew stars,around my scars But now I'm bleeding" You'd think at the end of the world falling in love would be impossible. But for a grumpy redne...
19 0 2
Rick Grimes a police- I mean former police officer with his best friend and former police partner Shane Walsh. There was a deadly apocalypse that hap...