Bitter Sweet

By lia2wavy

"Get out," he sighed. "N-" I got out. "Nah, you can go," he shook his head. "Babe," I called out, but he was... More

c1
c3
c4
c5
c6
c7
c8
c9
c10
c11
c12
c13
c14
c15
c16
c17
c18
c19
c20
c21
c22
c23
c24
c25
c26
c27
c28
c29
c30
c31
c32
c33
c34
Quick Update
Sneak Peek into book 3 😚
BOOK 3!!!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER BOOK: THE IDEAL DEAL!!!
BLIND AWAKENING
SPINOFF
REAPER
REAPER OUT NOW

c2

918 47 1
By lia2wavy

Chapter 2 • The Quiet

Nick handed me a tray with a plate packed with waffles, another plate filled with fruits, a smaller plate with pastries, a glass of orange juice, and a glass of water.

My mouth watered at the sight of this, and I thanked him before digging into the waffles.

He sat on the chair next to my bed and watched silently as I devoured the food. Was he always this quiet?

"This is delicious," I complimented in an attempt to start a conversation.

"Thanks," he said. "It's one of Mother's secret recipes."

"She's a great cook,"  I complimented.

"Was," he corrected, and a flash of hurt ran through his eyes, but his stony expression remained. He clenched his hands into a fist, and my eyes widened.

"Sorry," I apologized quickly. "I didn't-"

"It's okay," he intervened while standing up. "Enjoy."

"Wait," I called out as he rushed to the door. He stopped and turned to me. "Please, stay."

"Why?" he asked.

"I wanna talk," I answered.

He went back to his seat and sat in silence.

After moments of silence, I nervously said, "So..."

"Stop," he exhaled while shaking his head.

"W-what?" I frowned.

"I know you're afraid of me," he announced. "Stop pretending you're not."

"I-okay," I nodded in defeat. "I still wanna talk about the accident though."

"It wasn't an accident," he grunted as his hands tightened into a fist again.

"What happened?" I asked, but he shook his head in response.

"I don't wanna talk about it," he mumbled.

"Okay," I replied while eyeing his fist.

He unclenched it quickly, and his face softened. We stared at each other in silence before he angrily stood up and left the room.

I didn't understand him. Why didn't he want to talk about it? Was the accident his fault? Why didn't anyone want to tell me about it? And why was Nickolas such a cold person? Did he ever smile? Was he always quiet? Did he like conversation? Who was he?

A knock sounded on the door, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"May I come in?" Kendall smiled.

"Sure," I answered.

"How's breakfast?" she asked.

"Delicious," I smiled.

Kendall seemed very kind.

"Nick should become a chef, no?" she teased.

"Well, I'm sure he'd look handsome in anything," I joked back. "But he's already intimidating to look at, so maybe a job without weapons would fit him better."

Kendall snickered at my reply before saying, "He's not that bad of a person."

I shrugged at her reply. Maybe he was, yet maybe he wasn't. I didn't remember.

"How did we become friends?" I asked. "No offense, of course. You seem like a really cool person, and I'm only asking out of curiosity."

"It didn't come off offensive at all," she chuckled.

"It's just that I've been unintentionally offending Nick," I told her. "I didnt want to offend you as well, especially because you've been the friendliest to me since I woke up."

"I take it Nick's being distant again?" she asked.

"Again? Is he always like that?" I questioned.

"At times, yes, but before the incident, he was opening up to you," she answered.

"Is he always cold too?" I questioned.

"Hmm, it depends," she answered. "The first week you two met, he was, but that was because he was pushing you away. He's pretty cold to people he doesn't mess with though."

"Why would he do that?" I frowned. "The pushing away," I clarified.

"Because he liked you before he even met you, but your brother didn't want the two of you together. If it wasn't for the deal-" she said before I cut her off.

"Wait, how did he like me before he met me?" I frowned.

"He used to have Jasmine spy on you," she answered. "He knew everything Jasmine did: what made you happy, angry, and sad. He knew about your exes, how you felt towards all of them, who you had crushes on, all of it. He even took note of the small things, like your favorite color and chocolate, but also of important things like your worst memory and your darkest secrets. He knew you inside out, well not before he actually got inside you," she teased.

"Wait, wait, wait," I gasped with my eyes wide open. "We had-"

"Yeahhhh," Kendall teased. "Anyways, your brother had stolen Carter's ring to get Carter upset, but the ring was stolen from Junior. The ring had belonged to Carter's father, so Carter was very upset and sent Junior to get the ring back. Carter kept you as collateral, and you were forced to stay here. That's how we met. I told you that I was-"

"Taken...from a world...you never got...to experience," I answered and frowned at myself.

How did I know that?

"Yeah," she smiled eagerly. "You remembered."

I nodded my head with confusion still evident on my face.

"Well, let's see what else you remember," she chuckled. "So I explained to you that I was an orphan that tried to run away, but was kidnapped, and sold about six times. The sixth time being sold, I escaped, and Nick found me. He invited me into his home, fed and clothed me, and made sure I was safe."

"What did you give in return?" I questioned, slightly inferring to sex.

Nothing in life was ever that free. She must've given Nick something in return. It only made sense that way.

"Ew," she commented through a disgusted face. "I carried out chores. I fed and cared for his dogs, went grocery shopping, and monitored his prisoners. He actually treated me like a little sister."

Maybe it was Jasmine's betrayal that made me feel so relieved that Kendall and Nick didn't engage in any thing beyond friendliness.  Even though I didn't remember last month, it appeared me to me that Kendall and I might've been somewhat close. It would've been disturbing to find out that she would betray me, especially by doing something like that with Nick. 

"Oh, sorry," I shyly responded.

I probably made the conversation weird.

"I get it," she chuckled. "Jasmine was cruel for what she did, but I'd never do that. Plus, I'm dating Nathan."

"You are?" I asked.

She confirmed with a nod.

"It's been a month now," she nodded.

"That's good," I smiled. "Are you happy?"

"Of course," she smiled. "He's an awesome man. He's very sweet, attentive, genuine, compassionate, intelligent, creative, and so much more!"

I didn't know why hearing this made me feel really content, as if it was something I really wanted to happen.

As my lips curved into a smile, I genuinely told her, "I'm happy for you! Your relationship sounds great."

"It is," she agreed. "If it wasn't for the incident, you and Nick would've been this happy too."

I shrugged in reply and replied, "Maybe."

I yawned and stretched. I knew I came down with the sleepyitis.

Kendall took my plates up and encouraged, "You should get some rest if you're tired. I'll come back when you're up."

I nodded and smiled, "Thanks."

She nodded and returned the smile before bringing my empty plates and glasses out of the room. She closed the door behind her, and I sighed contently. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.
______________________________________
I awoke to the sound of loud arguing between two male voices.

"This is all your fault!" I heard Junior yell. "I told you- I fucking warned you, Carter."

"I tried to stop it from happening," Nick growled.

The two were standing in my room, but none of them noticed me up, as they were too busy arguing.

"I don't care!" Junior argued. "She would've been safe if you listened to me."

"I was delayed by an accident," Nick argued back. "I almost died trying to get to you all."

"If you knew the guy was a suicide bomber, why didn't you tell us to tell the girls not to go to the jet?" Junior questioned.

"Because I had everything under control!" Nick replied.

"Yet you didn't," Junior sternly replied. "You can pretend to be Mr. Perfect and play hero all you want, but don't play that shit with my sister, aight? You don't know everything, and you can't fix everything on your own. Don't pretend you do and can when my sister's life is at risk."

"Whatever," Nick replied with anger clearly on his face.

Was Nick actually accepting defeat.

After a short moment of silence, Junior- in a much calmer tone- suggested, "I think it's best if Sage goes home."

"What?" Nick asked with narrowed eyebrows. "You heard the doc, we gotta get her memory back."

"Maybe it's best she doesn't remember you," Junior said coldly.

I could tell the quarreling was over now. Nick appeared to be hurt and out of energy to dispute. He just shook his head and looked at me before his eyes widened in shock.

"Sage," he called out in an apologetic voice. "I'm sorry to have woken you."

I nodded and diverted my gaze to Junior.

"I'm bringing you home tomorrow after the doctor checks up on you," Junior informed.

Nick stared at Junior with fury evident in his eyes.

"Okay," I agreed.

Nick began to storm towards the door, but I called out to him.

"Junior, can you please give Nick and I some privacy?" I asked.

My brother nodded and left the room.

"Nickolas," I called out and patted a spot next to me on the bed.

He took a deep breath before walking to my bed and sitting down. I eased myself up so that I was no longer laying down but was, instead, sitting up.

"Thank you for caring for me while I was in the coma," I thanked. "I understand that we left off on good terms before the coma, but I unfortunately don't remember the relationship we shared. This must be difficult for you."

He didn't respond nor look me in my eyes. He just stared at the sheet on my bed.

Continuing with my speech, I added, "I think I'll be better off moving on. I don't blame you for what happened, though. From what I understand, you were trying to protect me....even if your pride got in the way a little. I did, however, promise to give you a chance, so I'm fine with trying to get to know you all over again." With that said, his eyes flickered to mine. "Maybe we can try again from scratch."

He seemed a little more relaxed, but he still didn't reply.

"I'm uncomfortable with having a boyfriend I don't know," I continued, "so...well...I don't want to be called your girlfriend unless we get to that again."

"In other words, you're breaking up with me?" Nickolas asked.

I shyly answered, "Yeah."

A part of me felt terrible. After all the troubles I put this guy through during my coma, I was leaving him.

"If that's what you want, then I won't oppose," he nodded in understanding.

"Really?" I asked in disbelief.

I had expected him to throw another fit, but he only remained calm

"Yes," he confirmed. "I'll pack your bags for tomorrow."

"Thanks for understanding," I thanked appreciatively.

"Anything for you," he smiled warmly.

I stared in awe at the beautiful specimen in front of me. It intrigued me how approachable yet distant he was. It made him seem mysterious, and I loved a good mystery.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3.3K 36
Four years ago, a 13-year-old blackmailed me into friendship by holding my doughnut captive. We've been close ever since. I soon noticed that I wante...
51.4K 927 41
Pfp made by @Lydiafedward β™₯︎ "P-Please! I don't know what your talking about!" I pleaded. My eyes glossy from crying as I squirmed on the roped tied...
1.2M 50.9K 67
My parents are possibly one of the most successful human sex traffickers in my home country. Which means they have plenty of people after them. That...
6.1K 45 25
"You are nothing without me. I gave you the life you have. No one will ever love you but me because only I could love someone like you, someone that...