Friendship's Overrated

By My_ShipWrecked_Heart

"Levon." Todd answered, voice hard. "Todd." Levon responded just as coolly. There was a pause. "Are you busy... More

Chapter Two: University
Chapter Three: Christmas Eve
Chapter Four: New Years
Chapter Five: University
Chapter Six: Spring Break
Chapter Seven: Summer
Chapter Eight: Summer Break
Chapter Nine: Summer Break
Chapter Ten: Summer Break
Chapter Eleven: Summer Break
Chapter Twelve: Summer Break
Chapter Thirteen: Still Summer Break
Chapter Fourteen: Summer Break
Chapter Fifteen: Thanksgiving
Chapter Sixteen: Winter Break
Chapter Seventeen: New Years Day
Chapter Eighteen : Summer Break
New Story!

Chapter One: Thanksgiving

15.7K 588 462
By My_ShipWrecked_Heart

The sudden blaring of music woke Levon very violently from his slumber. He jolted, blinking around his darkened room in confusion before his eyes found the flickering cell phone on his night table. Groggily reaching out, he pulled the device to himself, squinting at the caller ID in annoyance. An incoming call from Annoying Fucker. Exactly what he needed.

"What do you want, Todd," Levon answered gruffly.

"Let me in," Todd responded matching Levon's irritation, and Levon frowned in tired confusion.

"Let you in where?"

"The house, you fucking idiot," Todd snapped. "I'm at the front door."

Todd hung up and Levon pulled the phone from his ear to check the time. It was three in the morning. Levon heaved the largest sigh he physically could before he lazily rolled out from his soft, warm bed. The cold air assaulted his skin, but he ignored it, padding out of his room in only a pair polka-dot boxer briefs.

Levon moved down the stairs. The house was dark. His mothers and sister were sleeping. He really wanted to still be sleeping. Levon scowled as he reached the front door, twisted the lock and swung it open to let the idiot on the other side in.

"About fucking time," Todd said instead of thanking Levon for actually waking up. Todd shoved into the house with a bag slung over his shoulder.

"I thought you said you weren't coming down," Levon grunted, eyes narrowing in annoyance, but he wasn't all that surprised that Todd hadn't told him of the change in plans. They weren't friends.

"Betto leant me his car," Todd spoke without looking at Levon, toeing off his sneakers. Betto was one of their childhood best-friends and attending the same university as Todd. "He really didn't want to come down for the break."

"He trusted you with his car?" Levon arched a brow. "I wouldn't even trust you to borrow a pen."

Todd rolled his eyes before letting his glare slide over Levon. "Could you not put any clothes on?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I making you uncomfortable?" Levon smirked, a single dimple appearing on his left cheek. He ran a hand over his defined abdomen. "Making you wish you were this hot or making you wish you touch something this hot?"

Levon was an attractive man and he knew it. A dirty blonde undercut, piercing lined ears, a lean muscled and heavily tanned body. He was no more than two inches taller than Todd, with brown eyes and pointed canines that only added to his impish features. He had been told on more than one occasion that he looked like trouble. And he was.

Todd was broader than Levon, but not nearly as muscularly defined as the other man. His black hair was messy, his nose was crooked from a long-ago fight, and his face appeared drawn in a permanent glare. The bright blue of his eyes were the only things that drew away from his intimidating nature, striking on his face.

"I will hit you in the face," Todd warned, but he was obviously tired and his heart wasn't in the threat.

"You will not," Levon waved him off carelessly. "You love my face."

"I like your face about as much as I love driving," Todd grunted and Levon cracked a smile. Todd had always hated driving. It stressed him out and that explained the exhaustion that was written on every piece of him. It was a five hour drive from Todd's university to Levon's house.

"Right," Levon drawled, then turned away. "Well, I'm going to bed."

"I'm coming, too," Todd sighed and Levon heard the man's heavier footsteps following him. They were quiet until they were in Levon's room with the door closing behind them, not wanting to wake up the rest of the house.

Levon slid right back into his bed and tucked himself away to go back to sleep, but his eyes stayed open to watch Todd. Todd dropped his bag on the lumpy, little couch, then tiredly fought out of his socks, hoodie, and jeans, leaving them on the floor as if he lived here. Levon relented that Todd pretty much did live here. The guy had spent nearly every day at Levon's house since they met halfway through the sixth grade. Now in their second year of university, Todd spent almost every day of his holidays at Levon's house.

Todd climbed into the double bed in his Family Guy boxers and a t-shirt. He took several moments to get himself settled under the blankets. He lay on his side, facing the wall with his back to Levon.

"If you hog all the blankets you're going to be sleeping on the couch," Levon put the threat out even though they were both well aware that it wouldn't happen. They had both outgrown the uncomfortable couch years ago.

"If you try to cuddle with me, I'll smother you," Todd spoke on a yawn.

"Smother me with kisses," Levon asked teasingly and Todd swung a hand out behind him, landing a hit on Levon that didn't hurt at all. Levon laughed.

"Fuck off."

The two men didn't wake up until close to noon. Levon blinked the sleep from his eyes, then turned to look at the man sharing his bed. Todd was facing him now, hugging a pillow to his chest and snoring lightly. Levon traced his eyes over the hard features of Todd's face, now softened with sleep, messy hair sticking up every which way. Levon noted the freckles that were barely visible against the faint tan on his skin and the stubble that was now tapering along his jaw in the dim lighting.

A warmth spread in Levon's belly, a warmth that was there whenever Todd was with him. They weren't friends. They would never be friends. Todd had made that clear when they were children. But they were something. Something that was always there to protect and comfort. The way Todd always kicked the shit out of Levon's bullies until Levon was strong enough to do it himself, and when Todd would hide in Levon's room to avoid going home to his mother.

Levon rolled out of the bed and snorted a laugh. He had clearly stolen most of the blankets through the night and Todd had retrieved the spare blanket from the couch to keep himself warm.

Levon moved to his dresser and changed into a pair of clean boxers, jeans and a red shirt with three buttons on the collar that he left undone. Then he padded out of the room to the bathroom to freshen up. By the time Levon was walking into the kitchen, he smelled a lot better and was much more awake.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," was the greeting that welcomed him into the kitchen.

"Morning, mama," Levon spoke to his mother, Bree. His other mother, Gwen was flipping pancakes at the stove while Bree was sitting at the kitchen island counter with Lev's little sister, Ophelia.

"Want some breakfast?" Gwen asked and Levon nodded with a thankful smile before he slid into one of the empty stools next to his sister.

"Want to play soccer later?" Ophelia asked and Levon gave her a smirk.

"You want me to kick your ass again?"

"Language, Lev," Bree scolded, her eyes not leaving the Sudoku she was working on. "Being twenty doesn't mean you can curse in front of your mommy."

"Yeah," Gwen turned her head to look at Levon, a smirk on her face. "Watch your fucking language."

"Gwen!" Bree snapped, facing her wife, humour on her face. "Watch it!"

"What?" Gwen faked innocence while the two siblings snickered. Ophelia and Levon both looked a lot like Bree. They both had her brown eyes, mischievous features, and her tall, slender form. Levon was the only one to inherit her blond hair. Ophelia long brown hair and an elegant way of holding herself.

Levon always thought his sister looked like a ballerina, although his sister had never been interested in the dance, preferring to turn her attention medicine. When she graduated high school in the coming summer, she would be beginning her first year at the same university he was attending.

Gwen, on the other hand, was average height, but broad and muscled with her bright red hair cut in a pixie do. Her pale skin heavily freckled and face slightly wrinkled from laughter. She smiled all the while she began serving out plates of pancakes.

"So, Levon," Ophelia spoke up as Bree hogged the maple syrup. Levon cast his sister a glance and he prepared himself for teasing at her mischievous smile. "Are you going to mention the fact that you have Todd in your bed again? Or are you hiding him from us?"

"Are you suggesting I would want to keep Todd all to myself?" Levon asked, brows raising in dramatic offense.

"Are you admitting that you are?" Ophelia grinned. Levon had long since accepted the fact that his family didn't fully understand his relationship with Todd. His mothers thought he and Todd were the best of friends, but they were not. Ophelia was convinced they harboured some secretive romance, and his elder brother Jasper was certain that the two were 'one dirty look away from making out'. Levon didn't really care much anymore. It was mostly just really amusing seeing how mad it made Todd.

"Todd's here?" Bree looked up and Gwen laughed.

"Did you not hear the boys arguing in the porch last night," Gwen met Lavon's eyes. "Or really early this morning."

"We didn't argue that loud," Lev shrugged. The syrup was finally passed down to him and he drenched his pancakes in it. "And you guys usually sleep like rocks."

"You didn't wake me up last night," Ophelia admitted. "I just saw the car in the driveway and his shoes in the porch."

"And he called me yesterday before he left to let me know he was on his way, so I kept my ears open to make sure he got here safe," Gwen said and Levon rolled his eyes because Todd had taken the time to call his mother but not to even text him.

"Your ears don't open, mom," Levon said with as much sass as he could force into his words. "That makes no sense."

"Somebody smack that brat," Gwen grumbled, and Ophelia eagerly delivered a smack to that back of his head that made him crack up.

"Quick, hit him harder," Todd said as he entered the kitchen. He had gotten dressed in ripped jeans and a black t-shirt. He looked ruffled but well rested, and Levon's eyes lingered on the slip of flat stomach that showed when Todd lifted his arm to run his fingers through his hair.

"Good morning to you, too," Levon grumbled and Todd sent him a smile as crooked as his nose. He was in a much better mood now that he had gotten some sleep.

"Good morning, Toddy!" Ophelia spoke loudly, holding her arms out.

"My favourite Kipling!" Todd grinned and he went over and gave her a tight hug and a kiss on her hair. Then he embraced both Levon's mothers, warm and affectionate, as much a part of the family as Levon was.

"I'm going to pretend you weren't happier to see Todd than you were to see me," Levon told his mothers once they were done loving on Todd and they both laughed. Todd roughly messed up his hair and took a seat on the barstool next to him. Their shoulders brushed against each other.

"They love me more than they love you," Todd said softly, so only Levon heard him and Levon shoved him so he nearly fell off his stool.

"Play nice, boys," Gwen chided and served Todd a plate of pancakes.

"I'm always nice to, Toddy," Levon assured her with a wide, cheesy grin. Todd grunted discontentedly at the nickname.

They spent the two days before Thanksgiving lounging around the house. They played soccer with Ophelia, and basketball even though Levon hated basketball. They played video games and spent an awful amount of time bitching about the homework they had but didn't want to do. Todd was in a very good mood which Levon knew was because Todd's mother was out of the country and out of Todd's mind. Levon didn't bring her up, content to enjoy the playful arguments and comfort of their not-friendship. It was nice and Levon felt the tension of the weeks at school melting off his shoulders the more time he spent, safe in his home with his family.

Thanksgiving was a big and delicious meal. Levon's grandparents came, as did his uncle. Jasper, Levon's brother couldn't make it down, but they Skyped with him, so he could be a part of the fun while they ate.

Todd sat across from Levon for the meal, the two were of course on their best behaviour, keeping the fighting and cursing to a minimum. Their eyes locking over the food, laughter tugged at their faces, they kicked each other out of sight when they weren't allowed to voice their attacks.

Everyone stated what they were thankful for after Levon's grandfather said grace. It was cheesy and Levon mocked the entire idea of it but participated. It was Todd's turn after Ophelia and Bree.

"I'm thankful for you guys," he said, that crooked smile of his shy as it always was when all the attention was on him. His big blue eyes locked with Levon's for several beats before he dragged his eyes across the whole table. Levon's chest clenched at the rare glimpse of affection. "For letting me be a part of this family."

When it was Levon's turn he spoke quickly. "I'm thankful for my amazing family. All of it." They moved on, but Lev's gaze locked back onto Todd's, a warmth hotter than ever before coiling in his gut and his heart gave a pathetic flutter. He kicked Todd in the shin, holding eye contact, and Todd kicked him back, not hard enough to hurt but Levon's whole leg seemed to vibrate. They looked away, but the warmth stayed. Levon felt like something was pressing down on his chest.

Levon went out to the front lawn needing to be away from the guests and alone with the bizarre emotions twisting inside him. He sat under the tree and peered up at the salmon coloured house of his childhood.

Levon pulled out his phone and stared at his contacts. He debated calling Aisha, his best friend, but instead called Cash. He was probably just as close to her. She answered on the third ring.

"Levon?"

"Hey," Levon greeted. There were a lot of voices in the background. "Sorry if you're busy. We can talk another time."

"Oh no, don't worry about it," Cash laughed reassuringly. "I'm just having dinner with Parker's family." Their friend group from high school consisted of Levon, Aisha, Cash, Parker, Betto and even Todd. They had been close and managed to keep close contact. Parker and Cash lived together a few towns over and Aisha was a lengthy plane ride away studying music.

"How's Parker?" Levon asked.

"He's doing great," Cash snickered. "He finally got the cast off his leg."

"I can't believe he broke it," Levon smirked, spirits raising slightly. Parker was an overexcited klutz. He was studying to teach disabled children. Cash was finishing up her schooling in elderly care.

"It's because he's a fucking idiot," Cash said and there was some shouting that made her laugh. Presumably Parker's protesting. "But anyway, what did you need, Lev?"

"I was wondering." Levon chewed his lip for a moment. "How did you know you liked Parker?"

"How did I know?" Cash repeated in confusion. She was moving somewhere quiet, the voices in the background drifted into silence.

"Yeah," Levon's eyes pinched shut knowing that this might be weird. Cash was the only one with the experience and who wouldn't mock him in and out.

"Can I ask what's going on in that head of your?" Cash spoke carefully and Levon swallowed thickly.

"I'm pretty sure I know what I'm feeling right now, but I wanted you to either confirm it or help me deny it," Levon said.

"What are you feeling?"

"Warm. Safe. My heart beats fast whenever he shows me he cares. I kind of want to punch him in the face. I kind of want to kiss him," Levon said and his last confession surprised him. It had never been voiced out loud. A distant longing that was always dismissed from his thoughts as fast as it came. Levon felt breathless, whispering into the evening chill. "I just realized I might be in love with him."

"I don't think you need me to confirm or deny anything here, Lev." She clearly knew what was going on in his head. Who was in his head. He was thankful she didn't say it. He kind of felt like puking.

"I want you to tell me I'm imagining it," Levon muttered. His heart felt like it was going to pound out of his chest and he was light-headed. This wasn't what he wanted.

"You're imagining it," Cash spoke loyally and warmly. "You're absolutely crazy."

"Fucking insane," Levon agreed. 

The next day Levon was in an awful mood. He woke up well before Todd but made a show of noisily getting dressed and ready so Todd was forced awake. Ignoring Todd's complaints of his noise, he stormed downstairs for breakfast. Levon was cranky enough that his parents left him alone, and his sister didn't ask to hang out with him. Things weren't too bad and he was able to wallow in his self pity and anger for the majority of the day.

Levon decided to do some of the homework he'd been neglecting. He set himself up in the dining room with his headphones in, and his notes spread out. Todd had been reading in his room when he had gone up to grab his things so Levon had chosen to work downstairs instead. His plans were ruined when Todd came into the room and set his own school work on the table across from Levon.

For a moment, Levon felt like he was back in elementary school. He had been a small and bullied child, disliked for being too pretty and enjoying wearing bright and flashy clothes. The bullying drastically declined when Todd had stood up for him. Todd the quiet little boy that had come in Levon's class halfway through the sixth grade. He was an angry child who glared at everyone and refused to make friends. After he had punched another boy for Levon, Levon had decided that this boy would be his best friend. Tod had hated his persistence. He had avoided Levon when he could and grumbled when he couldn't.

"I don't want you here," Levon blurted and Todd looked at him with mild surprise as he sat down. His brows drew together at Levon's glare, but he was quick to return the dirty look.

"I'm just doing work, chill the fuck out," Todd snapped back.

"Well I'm down here to be away from you," Levon spoke rudely. "I'm trying to concentrate."

"Just do your work and ignore me then," Todd said, chin jutting stubbornly at the challenge Levon was now posing. Levon recalled sixth grade once more, eagerly setting his belongings on the desk alongside Todd's things. Todd had told him to go away. Levon had insisted they were going to be friends.

"I don't want friends," young Todd had snapped, eyeing Levon with clear distaste.

"If you had friends you wouldn't be so lonely," Levon had told him hating the misery that had hung around the boy who saved him from bullies. Todd then proceeded to shove all Levon's belongings to the floor. Laughter had broken out, but Todd silenced them with a harsh word that had landed him in a lunchtime detention. Levon didn't let up bothering him though, even after the humiliation of that class. He had come back the next day ready to make a friend or get to the bottom of the new kid who hated him for no reason. Now he looked at it cynically. Where had that persistence gotten him? In love with an asshole who didn't even want to consider him a friend.

"Seriously, just fuck off and let me have my space," Levon growled and Todd narrowed his eyes.

"Why don't you go get the fucking rod out of your ass?"

Levon reacted violently and without thought, furious with Todd. Furious with Todd for being so fucking normal when all the shit was happening in Levon's mind and heart. His arm swung out and he was on his feet, smacking Todd's work to the dining room floor. A textbook landed hard and loud. The notebook and papers dramatically fluttered. Todd stood too, masking his shock with a furious scowl that almost matched the storm raging inside Levon.

"What's your fucking problem?!"

"Can you just fuck the hell off!" Levon shouted the ending with as much venom as he could.

"Why the hell are you so fucking mad?" Todd shouted back.

"Maybe I just want you to leave me alone like I fucking asked!"

"You know, this bullshit attitude of yours is why you don't have any friends at school!" Todd snapped, shoving a finger right into Levon's face. "You can't just flip the fuck out for no damned reason!"

"Like you're one to talk!" Levon laughed humorlessly and slapped the hand away from his face. "Have you got any friends besides Betto?"

"But the difference between us is that I'm happy that way," Todd smacked his hands back, hard enough to sting but Levon didn't wince, instead meeting Todd's harsh glower. "You're miserable and it's pathetic."

"What the fuck do you know?" Levon shoved Todd, two hands against the other man's chest. "You don't fucking know me!"

"Of course, I fucking know you!" Todd stumbled against the wall, looking ready to lunge into a full on fist fight, hands twitching at his sides, face contorted in offence.

"What could you possibly know?" Levon spoke coldly, eyes locking with Todd's big blue ones. "We're not friends."

"What is going on?" Bree burst into the room looking ready to break up a fight and Ophelia soon followed, drawn by the volume. They had been working in the garage.

Neither boy said anything for a short time, glaring at each other tensely. Levon's stomach twisted and his eyes skimmed over Todd with a sudden longing that made his heart hurt. Then Levon snapped out of it, snatching up his stuff and storming out of the room.

"Levon Kipling, you get back here this instant!" Levon ignored his mother, clenching his shaking fists and wishing his eyes would stop burning.

The two men couldn't be in the same room together for the rest of the break without an equally aggressive fight breaking out. Levon's mothers tried to get involved but there was little they could do in the situation. Levon had never been so ready to go back to school.

Todd came into Levon's room one more time, to grab his things, then chose to stay in Jasper's room for the remainder of his time there. Levon, for the first time in a long time, cried himself to sleep.

Of course, he couldn't fall in love with one of the many friendly guys in his life. He had to fall for Todd. Levon had never hated Todd more in his life.

***

Thank you for checking this out! The first story I'm publishing on Wattpad and I'm pumped! Maybe drop a vote if you liked it? :)

Do you think my chapter was too long? I can't tell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

828K 37.1K 36
-KIND OF MATURE- "I wouldn't fuck you if you paid me." Well, at least my question is answered. He can get more punchable. We glare at each other, I...
15.8K 270 25
Catnap and Dogday were best friends for a long time. Well, they were always best friends. One day, a meteor shower falls, so they all plan a vacation...
828K 28K 66
"Listen here." He said threateningly as he held my chin harshly, making me look directly into his glaring eyes. "I warn you... If you ever talk about...
53.1K 2.8K 32
ROMANCE Clark, an eclectic bookstore owner, is choosing to take up some night classes to brush up on his Spanish in the hope it will broaden his hori...