Her Younger Mate (Old Version)

By agguerra

The edited version of this book is being updated under the name "That's Inappropriate, Mr. King." Twenty-two... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Should I Buy Perfume?
Chapter 2: Mall
Chapter 3: His Gaze Met Mine
Chapter 4: When In Doubt, Wear Red
Chapter 5: Xander the Charmer
Chapter 6: Who The F... is Oliver?
Yet Another Announcement
Chapter 7: About Oliver And First Dates
Chapter 8: This Is Number Seven
Chapter 9: The Favor
Chapter 10: The Deal
Chapter 11: Another Friendly Date?
Chapter 12: Cliches Do Happen...
Chapter 13: Can't Keep a Bad Boy Down
Chapter 14: Reasons
Chapter 15: The Truth
Chapter 16: The Language of Flowers
Chapter 17: Beautiful Liar
Chapter 18: Revelations - Part 1
Chapter 19: Revelations - Part 2
Chapter 20: Honesty
Chapter 21: A Bad Day
Chapter 22: Talk
Chapter 23: I Am Alive
Chapter 24: Threat
Chapter 25: Feelings
Chapter 26: Food And Movies
Chapter 27: Happy Music Makes Me Happy
Chapter 28: Choose Me - Part 1
Chapter 29: Yellow Hyacinth (Jealousy)
Chapter 30: Chickens
Chapter 31: Dinner
Chapter 32: Photos
Chapter 32.5: Photos
Chapter 33: The Rogue
Chapter 34: Hand Over a Hoodie
Chapter 35: Her
Chapter 36: Detention
Chapter 37: Half a Second
Chapter 38: Cute
Chapter 39: More Photos
Chapter 40: Charm
Chapter 41: Treasure
Chapter 42: Party Night
Chapter 43: Saturday
Chapter 44: His Birthday
Chapter 45: Aconitum
Chapter 46: Lies
Chapter 47: Savior?
Chapter 48: Selfish
Chapter 49: Cruel
Extra: The Future. Part 1.
Chapter 50: I Am Sorry
Chapter 51: Enough
Chapter 52: Weaker Girl
Extra: HYM Characters Crash Course
Chapter 53: Joke
Chapter 54: The Alpha's Book of Events
Chapter 55: Anna
Chapter 56: No
Book 2: It's a Hard Knock Life
Chapter 58: Caleb
Chapter 59: Amanda
Chapter 60: Tea
Chapter 61: Letter
Chapter 62: The One
Chapter 63: Purpose
Chapter 64: Hero - Part 1
Chapter 65: Omen
Chapter 66: Hero - Part 2
Chapter 67: Healed
Chapter 68: No Comments
Chapter 69: The Trial
Chapter 70: Rumor Has It
Chapter 71: The Other-Other Side
Chapter 72: Diary
Chapter 73: Promise
Chapter 74: "Friends"
Chapter 75: Traitors
Extra: The Future. Part 2.
Chapter 76: Traitors. Part 2
Chapter 77: Help
Chapter 78: Goodbye
Chapter 79: Goodbye. Part 2
Chapter 80: Alphas Meeting
Chapter 81: Please
A/N: Character's Ages
Chapter 82: Soulmate
A/N: Thank you!
Chapter 83: Dazzling
Chapter 84: Dinner Talk
Chapter 85: Love You
Chapter 86: The Right Choice
A/N: About Elena
Chapter 87: John Doe
Chapter 88: The Lunch
Chapter 89: The Meeting
Chapter 90: Sweet
Chapter 91: By Your Side
Chapter 93: Fight
Chapter 93: Fight - Part 2
Chapter 94: Civilized Argument - Part 1
Chapter 95: Civilized Argument - Part 2
Chapter 96: Us
Chapter 97: Let's Start
Chapter 98: Paradise
Chapter 99: The Phone Call
Chapter 100
A/N: Thank You
Special Chapter 1
Special Chapter 2
Special Chapter 3
Sneak Peek of Chapter 4 and Announcement
Announcement

Chapter 92: Chloe

30.1K 1.2K 167
By agguerra

Anna

I shifted my weight anxiously. I couldn't focus on the words being told to me. Caleb kept explaining in detail the state of the pack while showing me graphs and excel documents on his computer. I was glad he is organized, but the way he talked was unnerving. Everything is either effective or efficient. It was as if we were talking about a big motor controlled by a PLC machine. There is no love behind his words. Trust me, I'm an engineer.

I leaned back in the chair and glanced through the office window. Besides the warriors that welcomed us, I hadn't seen other people on the streets, which was weird. I smiled when I noticed some kids playing outside. Caleb must have noticed because he went silent and looked at me and then at the window. Soon, a woman went and took the children inside of a house.

I frowned. "You did that?"

"They are not allowed out this time." He stared at me and then leaned against his chair.

"It is four o' clock." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"They can play outside from 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM. That is when pack warriors can protect them. At this time, the warriors are all protecting the borders."

"You said that you have cameras and all that."

"There is a reason why this is the only pack the group of rogues doesn't dare get near to." His tone was colder and it even had a hint of animosity to it. "Did you even listen to anything I've been saying?"

I wanted to roll my eyes at the condescending way he was talking to me but held myself back. I need all the facts before talking. "Yes. I have heard everything. Can we walk around the pack tomorrow? I want to see how everything is now." I smiled, or at least I think it looked like that.

"Of course. Hopefully, you will be the Luna of this pack someday."

I looked back at the window, averting my gaze from him as the message the council had sent me replayed in my head. There soft knock on the door before it was opened slowly. The lump in my throat loosened and I turned to see the person, which literally jumped in surprise.

"Oh, Anna. You are here. I'm so glad you are okay." He gave me a sheepish smile.

I didn't bother answer Samuel's greeting and my eyes fell back on my mate. I hope you are happy now; That is what he told me in one of the most painful moments of my life. I used to think that he was on my side. He had said so himself, but he also fell for Chris' schemes.

He proceeded to give Caleb an exact accounting of how much resources had been spent during his absence. He pulled up some files in Caleb's computer. Oh, great more graphs.

"What do you mean half of my warriors spent the time I was away resting? The time I am away is when the pack is the most vulnerable." 

I winced. Caleb was yelling now.

"With all due respect Alpha, you gave double shifts to everyone and took two extra days more than planned. Some of the warriors worked for forty-eight hours straight. We couldn't keep it like that. So, I let some of them rest while others covered the shifts."

"It seems like the training plan is still lacking, then."

Samuel opened and closed his mouth before lowering his head. "Yes, Alpha."

What the heck? I guess the rumors are true. I stood up from the chair. "Caleb?"

His eyes softened and he smiled. "Yes, beautiful?"

"Do you have any room available for me?"

His happy expression disappeared and an angry frown formed on his face. "Aren't you going to sleep with me?"

I seriously don't want to fight today. "I don't know. I'm exhausted. I just want to rest until tomorrow."

He sighed. "Are you okay with sleeping in my room? I need to stay doing some more work."

He didn't remember. "I guess I'm okay with that."

He fucking forgot what I said before: 'I suffer from insomnia. I only sleep early when I am in a bad mood.' I left the office, closing the door behind me. But, found myself face to face to some grey eyes that I know too well.

"Anna?" Chloe stumbled back.

"Chloe. I'm so glad to see you here. So, it is true that you are Samuel's mate." Elena had told me how my ex turned up to be the mate of Caleb's Beta. Oh, what a small world.

"Eh... Mmm... What are you doing here?" She asked without meeting my eyes.

Our story is a funny one. I found out that I also liked girls because of her. We kind of dated for six months when I was fifteen and she was fourteen. His father found out and forbid me to corrupt his beloved child. We hadn't talked to each other since then. Okay, it wasn't so funny.

"I'm Caleb's mate."

She gasped and then laughed nervously. "Oh... My... Gosh! I can't believe this. Should we?"

"No way!" There is no way I'm telling those two anything. "Anna Amores-Lobo. Nice to meet you." I extended my hand to her.

She gave me a puzzled look but shook my hand anyway, "Chloe Clark."

"Oh, you took his last name. That is cute. Anyway, I'll make you company while you wait." I glanced at Caleb's office. They are still busy. I took Chloe's hand and pulled her toward the living room. We sat next to each other.

I mindlinked Chloe. "This house is full of cameras and microphones. It is creepy."

Her eyes widened. "It is?"

"Yeah. Don't look directly, but right there in the eye of the owl plushie on top of the bookcase, there is a camera."

"True..."

"Let's watch some TV." I smiled at her turned on the TV.

"Anyway. Tell me. How things really are here?"

She looked at me, but I kept my eyes on the comedy show on the TV.

"Caleb is doing good." She looked at her lap and bit her lower lip.

I turned to her and gave her an earnest look. "I'm not planning on ratting you out. I just want to know the truth."

"You promise?" She looked me in the eye.

"Promise. I won't let him find out about this conversation." I turned back to the TV.

Chloe sighed. "Caleb took over when he was nineteen, instead of twenty like he was expected to. He is too strict, with everyone, especially with himself. He barely sleeps and spends every day, the whole day, either managing resources, patrolling, or training. There is compulsory training for all pack members from the age of seven, which is not bad, but he is too demanding. He wants them to train three hours daily without breaks and to think like warriors. The adults have it even worse. They barely have free time and he gets so mad if someone even questions his methods. I don't even want to talk about his punishments."

So that is why he almost growled at me earlier. What is my little Alpha doing?

"Thank you for being honest, Chloe."

"Are you going to talk to him?"

"Tomorrow. If I face him today, he will know you were the one who told me."

"About us..."

"There is nothing to worry about. We were teenagers. We kissed a couple of times. Do you want to tell your mate?" I peeked at her conflicted expression.

"I had never blocked him out of my mindlink before today. I'm not ready for him to know." She sniffled and I could tell she was holding back her tears.

Obviously, she likes guys too, but I'm sure that her retrograde father never allowed her to fully accept herself. I should change the subject.

"I heard your father tried to set you up with Caleb."

She looked at me, now with a scared look. "Sorry."

I laughed. "Don't be. I know how your father is. Still, I hate him."

"He is not so bad." 

I gave him my are-you-fucking-serious look.

She snorted and laughed out loud. "Okay, he is pretty bad. I'm so glad I'm free from his tyranny now."

Caleb and Samuel walked into the room.

"Talking about tyrants." I gave Chloe another look and she chuckled.

"I see you are getting acquainted." Samuel grinned.

Chloe's smile faded. She looked at me, terrified. That is just sad. He is her mate. She should be honest.

I yawned to look indifferent. "We were really close when we were teenagers. Her asshat father didn't like me, though. So, he made us stop being friends."

"I see. How have you been doing, Anna?" Samuel rubbed the back of his neck without looking at me.

I turned to look at Caleb, instead. "Are you done talking to your Beta now?" I'm so petty, I know.

Caleb nodded and I stood up and walked to him, taking his hand in mine. "Let's go."

He pulled back. "I want to introduce you to some friends of mine."

"Okay."

He led me outside of his house and behind it. Is that what I think it is? Clucking... It is a chicken coop.

Soon, my eyes fell on the small ball of fluffiness and happiness: A black silkie rooster. But, then, Caleb opened the door of the coop and I saw something even more adorable: Silkie baby chicks. I squealed and hugged Caleb before walking into the coop, my bad mood immediately improved. This is my kryptonite.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 503 7
Two powerful men at each other's throats to get back for what the other did, except the cycle just continues. It never subdued, war, death, and anger...
3.3K 159 30
~Cover by me~ WARNING: I created this book years ago so it is a bit um cringy I am working on a new version of it called "Midnight Rose" if you'd be...
104K 4.3K 79
***Please read my message on November 12, 2019 (if you can) for enlightenment purposes*** "Who are you?" A certain Luna asked. "Tell me, why do I fe...
28.8M 881K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...