Different Is Good

By steviesdove

Stevie Nicks meets Lindsey Buckingham, a new student at her school... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter eleven (part 2)
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Fifteen 2
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty one part 2
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six

Sixteen 2

305 8 0
By steviesdove

The next place they stopped into was a baby boutique filled with toys, clothes and adorable booties. Stevie gasped at the incredible amount of pink items on one wall and gravitated toward it like a moth to a flame.
"Are you positive it's a girl?" Barbara chuckled
"It's just a feeling I have" Stevie said. "I can feel that this baby is a girl."
"Most of the time our instincts are right! Well...most of the time-I thought your brother was a girl...."
Stevie snickered. "Well, as far as I know, he's a boy."

"That's right" Barbara said with a chuckle. "But you're sure it's a girl?"

"One hundred perfect" she said.
"Then we'll buy girl clothes then!" She chuckled

"This makes me even more excited."
Stevie picked up a soft pink cardigan and sighed.

"Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful. And it's so tiny." Stevie said, tears in her eyes. "One day, my Sara will wear something this tiny."
"She will....why don't you get it for her and let's pick out an outfit to bring her home in?"
"I would love to" Stevie hugged her mother unexpectedly.
"It has to be comfy, not a dress," her mother chuckled, seeing Stevie scan over the tiny dresses

"I didn't know they had so many baby clothes."
"Babies need a lot of clothes, but don't worry, we can do this."

"Today?"

"Mm-hmm." Barbara said. "How about this?" She picked up a pink footed onesie that buttoned up the front.
Stevie felt the soft material, "I love it..." tears sprang to her eyes, "do you think we could embroider her name on it?"
Barbara smiled. "I think we could. Sara, S-A-R-A?"

"Yes, that's it."

"Beautiful. I will talk to the shopgirl."
"I'll look around a little more."

"That's fine sweetheart."
Barbara continued to show Stevie a few things for the baby and she sighed. "Is everything okay, Stevie?"

"Yeah, I just wish I could be shopping for her with Lindsey too. Not that I don't love shopping with you but--"

"I understand." Barbara said. "Maybe on your next holiday, you guys can go out for a couple hours."
"I would like that...." Stevie smiled, "the baby will be a good age by then."

"This baby will change your life in an amazing way, trust me."
"I know" Stevie said, proudly smoothing a hand over her belly. She knew in that moment that her mother was right.
"Are you hungry? I think that we have enough clothes for the day."

"Yes, can we go to the diner where Lindsey works?"
"Of course" Barbara helped her put all the bags in the car and headed to the diner. As soon as she walked in, she spotted Lindsey coming from the back of the restaurant. She smiled, smoothing her dress, tucking one side of her hair behind her ear.
Lindsey hadn't spotted her yet, busy with cleaning tables and resetting them. Stevie admired how he took pride in his work, nitpicking every detail.
She and her mother were sat down at a table. They both scanned the menu but Stevie couldn't help looking at Lindsey. He lifted his head, looking around. He must know she was looking at him.
Stevie grew angry when she saw a few of the employees making fun of Lindsey as he became very socially awkward without his parents in public. "Hey Lindsey, try not to call your mommy too many times today, she's probably too busy knitting you some big boy underpants!" Two of the employees laughed, Stevie finding it plain stupid.

Lindsey, of course, did not stick up for himself, Stevie wasn't sure if he knew that they were joking or not, "I won't..." he grinned lightly
Stevie stroked her stomach. She didn't like the way they spoke to him. She had half a mind to go over there and tell those boys when she thought. Barbara looked up.

"Oh look, there's Lindsey! Lindsey!" she waved, calling him over.

The bashful young man moved toward the table, smiling when he saw Stevie. "Hello, angel" he said, leaning down to kiss her. "Hello, Mrs. Nicks."
"Hey, Lindsey!" Barbara rubbed his arm.

"Hey, baby," Stevie hugged him tightly

"Thank you for coming to see me."
"I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do more! Can you sit for a minute? Or will you get in trouble?" Stevie asked.

Lindsey looked over his shoulder and he nodded. "I can sit, but not long."
Lindsey placed his hand on her stomach, "How was shopping?"

"It was fun! We bought a lot of clothes."
"For you or for Sara?" He smirked.

"For both of us. Girls need a lot of clothes."

"As I'm sure I'll find out." Lindsey said.

"So how is your day going?" Stevie asked. "I've missed you today."
"It's been pretty good, I've had a few girls try to flirt with me though..." he felt it was his duty to tell her that, Stevie finding it adorable that he informed her, "but I didn't pay attention to them."
"You're a handsome guy, Linds. Of course girls will fall all over you. That just makes me even luckier to be with you."

He smiled, kissing her again. "I've got to go, but I'm so happy I got to see your beautiful face today."
He gave her a sweet kiss, standing from the booth and rushing to clean an empty table
"He's grown up so much lately" Barbara said.

"He has." Stevie sighed dreamily. "Every time I think I can't possibly love him any more, I just do."
"I am so happy that you have a partner that supports you. I bet most of the girls at school don't have that...Lindsey really is a wonderful man."

"I really want to marry him, Mom...."
"I know you do, sweetheart. School first then we can revisit the marriage thing later."

Stevie nodded. "Sooner rather than later?" she asked.

Barbara chuckled. "Yes, TeeDee." She stroked her daughter's glossy hair. "I can see the two of you are truly in love"
"Do you think that Daddy will let the baby stay at our house? I don't know if I want to leave them with you or Lindsey when I give birth..."
"We can talk to him about it. You seem like you're really warming up to the idea of being a mama recently."

"I think I am. I'm really excited about this baby. I know it didn't happen at the right time and I should have at least finished high school but I love her."
"There's no doubt that you love her. You or Lindsey. You have matured so much in the past five months. I am so proud of you..." tears grew in her eyes

"I love you, Mom..." Stevie smiled, misty eyed herself

"What can I get you ladies?" The waiter interrupted their moment, Stevie looking to to see one of the boys who were picking on Lindsey
"A different waiter" Stevie said, setting her narrowed gaze in him.

"TeeDee!"

"I will not be served by someone who can't even respect their fellow employees."
"I'm not sure I understand..." the waiter said, puzzled

"I watched you bully my boyfriend for taking pride in what he does..."
His face turned bright red and he looked down at his shoes. "That guy's your boyfriend?"
"You seem surprised?"

"Well-I mean- he's...retarded."

Stevie saw red, "What did you just say?!"
"I'm not saying anything bad, it's a fact."

"It's not a fact." Stevie stood up angrily. "I won't have you talking about the man I love that way!"
"Lady, chill out," he held up his hands
"I will not 'chill out'!"

"Stevie, maybe we should just go..." Barbara touched Stevie's shoulder as she stood by her daughter's side. "We shouldn't cause a scene."

"If you ever speak a bad word against him I will have you fired. Do you understand?" Stevie asked sternly

"Lindsey, come on. Daddy will give you a job," Taking his hand as he walked up to her

"Steph, do you feel okay?" Seeing that she looked pale
"I'm fine" she said quickly.

"Honey, we have to keep your blood pressure down. Have you eaten today?"

"I would have had he not ruined a perfectly good outing" Stevie was still livid, motioning to the man who stood with a shocked expression.

"Stephanie...calm down. Breathe." He held her hands and breathed with her, demonstrating deep breaths.

Though she breathed, she wasn't feeling much better.
"Honey, lets go out to the car and sit you down..." Lindsey took her hand
"I don't want to sit down!"

"TeeDee, listen to Lindsey." Barbara said. "Sit down and try to get your blood pressure down."

"I will quit if you want, baby. I will do anything you want." There was fear in his eyes and Stevie nodded, knowing she needed to take care of herself.

"I will talk to Jess about a job for you, Lindsey." Barbara told him.

"Thank you." he said quietly
Stevie stood shakily, her eyes rolling to the back of her head as she passed out. Lindsey caught her in mid air, easing her to the floor. "Steph?!"
"Mrs Nicks, there's a phone behind the counter. Ask the manager if you can use it to call an ambulance." Lindsey said. "I'll stay with Stevie."

Barbara nodded and hurried to the counter where she promptly used the phone. Lindsey, meanwhile, stroked his girlfriend's face. He was worried but knew he had to try to stay calm.
"I'm right here, honey," he held her head in his lap, "you'll be okay..." Lindsey moved her hair out of her face. Barbara returned and kneeled beside her daughter, "Tee," patting her daughter's face, "can you hear me?"
Her eyelashes fluttered and he drew in a sharp breath. "Baby, please, wake up." Lindsey heard sirens in the distance drawing nearer to the diner.
"Tee," Barbara was trying to remain calm, her voice cracking, "it's okay!"
The paramedics arrived and it was deja vu for Barbara. They asked them each questions and only Lindsey could answer as Barbara was inconsolable
Lindsey seeing Stevie being placed in the ambulance was enough to make him cry as well, wrapping his arm around Barbara. "She'll be okay..."
"Let's follow in my car" Barbara said, then we can call her father when we get there. She wiped her tears, looking to Lindsey who nodded.
On the way to the hospital Lindsey turned to Barbara, "Do you think the baby is okay?"
"I'm sure she is. She has to be" Barbara said, nervously biting her lip as she followed the ambulance. As soon as they arrived, Lindsey tore open the door and sprinted toward the doors. The gurney holding Stevie was wheeled down the hall and Lindsey was on their heels.
"Steph?" He called after her, catching a glimpse of her pale face. "What's going on?!"
She was brought to a room and the curtain was pulled around her bed. They checked her vitals and didn't say a word to Lindsey. He spoke up again, catching the attention of a leaving nurse.
"What is wrong with her?" Lindsey wiped his eyes

"Her blood pressure is very high..."
"I know, I've been trying to keep it down. She was hospitalized before for the same thing. I'm really worried."

"She is stabilized now and should be waking up shortly."

"And the baby?" he asked.
"We will come check on them later," she smiled softly before leaving him with Barbara
"I've called Jess. He will be here shortly. He's riding down with your father since I have the car."

"Oh, he's going to be furious. I'm still in my uniform, my manager didn't know I was leaving..." Lindsey panicked about another matter now. He was afraid to lose his job and have no money for his daughter. "Everyone will be disappointed in me."
"No, they will not. You've shown your priorities as my daughter is more important than a job. I will handle them, you be by Stevie's side when she wakes up."
"Thank you." Lindsey was thrilled with her reaction, kissing her cheek unexpectedly before going to sit by Stevie's bedside.
Lindsey took her hand, "Don't do this to me again, Steph...I know that you don't want me to be safe and for no one to talk about me...but that's the price of being different."
He looked at Stevie, seeing her eyelashes flutter. He held his breath, hoping she would wake up and be able to talk to him. Anything to know she was safe since she risked her life to stand up for him and make sure he was safe as well.
Stevie groaned softly, her head falling to the side, "Mom?" She asked softly

"I'm here, sweetheart," Lindsey said, kissing her head. Stevie's hand traveled to her stomach, "They are coming later to check on the baby," Lindsey eased her mind.
"Oh good."

"Would you like me to help you sit up?"

"Please" she said softly.
Lindsey placed his hand on her back and took her right hand in his other, "Slow, okay?"

"I won't break," smiling weakly
"I know. Stevie, I was so worried"

"I know. I gotta stop doing this." she joked.

"I don't want you to go back to that school. I want you to stay home with me so I can keep an eye on you." he said. She would have gotten upset had she not known it was because of his protective nature. He loved her and that was clear.

"I wish you could. I wish you could take me home and it would just be us. I can't wait until I'm done with school so we can start our life together."
"I promise that I will take the best care of both of you. When I bring our baby girl home she will be spoiled rotten. I've already bought her some clothes," he gushed, "and some tiny socks that are about this big," she showed her with his two pointer fingers
"Oh, Lindsey!" There were tears in her eyes and he kissed her. "Mom and I have been shopping too and my god, I think she's already spoiled rotten!" She giggled and Lindsey smiled. "I can't wait to share everything with you."
"I promise that you will never have to work! I want you to stay home and take care of her, you shouldn't have to work," Lindsey kissed her cheek, "unless there is something that you have your heart set on."
"Mm, maybe." Stevie said. "I have been writing while I've been at school."

"I would love to hear it...if that's okay."
"I will show you as soon as I get home." She promised, "I'm still tired," she stayed as she yawned

"Get some rest. I will be here when you wake up," Lindsey kissed her head and watched as she closed her eyes

Seconds later he got bored, looking around the room until his eyes settled on the fetal monitor around her stomach. He ran his finger over the strap, lifting it slightly as it stretched. He had never see one and kept messing with the contraption.
Suddenly, nurses flooded the room, scaring Lindsey. "What's happening?"

"We need to check on the baby. The monitor couldn't pick up a heart rate several times in the last few minutes. Has this been moved?" One nurse asked.
"That was me..." Lindsey admitted, "I didn't know what it was for..." turning a bright shade of red
"We are monitoring the fetus, making sure everything is going as it should be. Ms Nicks' high blood pressure could have dangerous for the fetus and it's a necessary device."

"I'm sorry" he said, still very embarrassed and ashamed.

"Don't be" the nurse softened. "First time dad?" he nodded. "Congratulations. The hospital has baby care classes for young couples. When she's released I will leave you a card to sign up."
By the time the nurses had left Jess and Barbara came in to make sure that everything was alright, Lindsey having to explain his mistake. "I would have done the same thing, son. Machines these days are far beyond my knowledge," Jess clapped him on the back

"Yessir," Lindsey nodded, trying to impress her father, "I wish things were simple again, technology is advancing quickly."
"It sure is. I can't imagine what things will be like in 20 or 30 years. We could have flying cars like they said when I was a boy!" Jess chuckled, squeezing Lindsey's shoulder. He truly felt as if Jess liked him. "How's TeeDee?"

"She's sleeping again. She was so tired. Not even woken up when everyone came in."
"I've been worried about her. I wasn't sure she would adjust well to school..." Jess admitted, "You know her mother and I were your age when we had her."
"You were?" Lindsey was shocked. Barbara had mentioned they were unwed and young but he didn't realize the parallels in their relationships.
"I just don't want Tee to struggle like her mother and I did, you know? It was hard..."
"I understand."

"And that's something I wanted to talk to you about, honey." Barbara interjected.

"Oh?"

"We were at diner where Lindsey worked today when this happened. Boys were giving Lindsey a lot of trouble and he didn't bat an eyelash. He's a hard worker, thorough. Stevie had seen all that had gone on and she hit the roof!"

"All do this happened because of some punk kids in a diner?!" Jess was furious.

"I'm so sorry, Mr Nicks. I shouldn't have let her come to see me. All of this is my fault!" Lindsey said, feeling horrible but Jess squeezed his shoulder again, calming him down.

"He left to make sure Stevie was alright as you can tell by his uniform but he's worried he won't have a job when he comes back."

"That's alright. That place can keep their job. Son, you can come work for me." Jess offered with a broad smile.
"Really?" Lindsey beamed, "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome. I want to make sure that Stephanie has all the support that she needs. Maybe a house in the near future." Jess winked
Lindsey was beyond excited. "How can I ever repay you?"

"Don't worry about repaying us. Just take care of your family."

"Will do, sir." Lindsey nodded.
Lindsey remain by Stevie's side, kissing her forehead. "When do I start?"
"Whenever you'd like."

"I want to start right away. I don't want to lose money. I need it more than ever now."

Jess smiled proudly. "You're growing up to be such a good man, Lindsey. Seeing you now makes me ever wonder why I was worried about the two of you." Barbara smiled as well but it quickly faded.

"I'm worried about her going back to school. I think it's best if Lindsey were here to help take care of her a little bit."
"I will take care of her. Would it be alright if I stayed at your house?"
"He can..." Jess began. "But how does Stevie feel about her school? We just sent her, how can I pull her out after two months?" He seemed deep in thought, Barbara touching his shoulder.

"We can all talk about it before she has to go back."
"Honestly sir, I don't think Stevie would be heartbroken if she didn't go back to school now..." Lindsey replied
Jess nodded, still thinking things over. "We can discuss it as a family."

"Will you call me when you come to a conclusion?" Lindsey asked shyly.

Barbara smiled. "You're family now, Lindsey."
"Thank you...." Lindsey said tearfully
Jess thought it only right to hug the boy and Barbara joined in as well.

"I feel a little left out" a soft voice said.

"Steph!" Lindsey cried.
She chuckled as he threw himself at her, holding her tightly, "Your dad gave me a job, Steph."
"Oh that's wonderful!" she said. "Thank you daddy!" Stevie hugged her father next.
"It's no trouble, Tee. He has proven himself several times to me."

Lindsey shook his hand once more, turning back to Stevie and giving her a dopey grin that always made her heart melt
"Daddy, I wanted to talk to you about school..." Stevie began, taking Lindsey's hand in her own.
"I wanted to talk to you about that as well..." he replied

"I'm scared to go back alone. What if I pass out again or what if I have an accident and no one is there."
"Sweetheart, we will discuss it as a family once you're released but I'm sure you will be pleased with our decision." Jess told her.
Steve had already started to smile brightly, feeling Lindsey kiss the side of her head. "Do you need anything"?
"No, honey, just you."

"The Doctor will probably come in soon. We can check on our baby." Lindsey smiled, rubbing her belly.
Lindsey was sure to steer clear of the fetal monitor, "I set an alarm of earlier..."
Stevie giggled. "It's okay. It's your curious nature." She kissed his cheek and he smiled.
"Tee, if you are feeling alright your father and I will go home. Is that alright?" Barbara asked, Stevie looking over at the clock to see how late it was. "Lindsey's parents are in the waiting room."
"Thank you for coming and I'm sorry for scaring everyone" Stevie said, hugging them one last time.

"Don't be. See you both at home." Barb said with a wink, playfully pinching Lindsey's arm through his work shirt.
"Baby, I need to buy work clothes..." Lindsey told her

"I'll go with you to pick them out."

"I have to use the baby's money to do that..."
"Don't worry, honey. Daddy is going to take care of us while we're learning to take care of each other."

Lindsey's parents entered the room, seeing the young couple kissing.
Morris cleared his throat causing the lovers to break apart, "I was told that it was okay to come in?"

"Of course!" Stevie smiled, hugging Ruth as the older woman rushed over to her

"You gave us quite the scare!"
"I know, I'm so sorry!"

"Is everyone alright? You, and our little Sara." Ruth rubbed Stevie's belly.

"I'm fine and I feel her moving around in there but we will know more when the doctor comes."

"It should be any minute. I think he must have gotten held up." Lindsey said.
Morris agreed, secretly worried about his granddaughter. "I'll go see where he is," excusing himself

"Any pain?" Ruth asked
"My back hurts a little but it always does" Stevie chuckled. "It's all of this weight. Sara isn't that easy to lug around and mom says she will be getting even bigger. I can't even fathom..."
"Oh honey, she will be getting much, much bigger," Ruth smiled sympathetically. "Have you thought about a birth plan? Are you having her at home or at school, a hospital?"
"I don't really want to have her at school. I saw a girl get taken from her room to have her baby and it scared me to death!" Stevie admitted. "I um...I've read a book about natural homebirth but I don't think anyone would support that choice."
"I'll support you in whatever you do," Ruth rubbed Stevie's shoulder. "What do you think Lindsey?"

"Like you mean you want to have the baby at home?" He asked shocked and confused all at the same time
"Yes and there will be midwives there. I read many testimonials about women who had these beautiful, calm births in their living rooms."
"Living room?!" His mouth hung open, "Steph, I don't know about this..."
"I know but it's just as safe as a hospital. I've been here twice and it's scaring me. I will always remember being here for something bad not something good, like the birth of our daughter. When she comes, I don't want to worry about making it her on time and rushing around. I want to relax, and have you there to hold my hand every step of the way." She looked into his eyes and he looked like he was really thinking about what she had said.
"I'm allowed in the room?" Lindsey asked, surprised. "Dad said that men aren't allowed in the room."
"You will definitely be allowed in if you want to be. No one can tell you what you can and can't do. It's a free space and I love the idea of it. Bringing our daughter into the world, a calm atmosphere and into the arms of people who truly love her. Doesn't that sound so dreamy, Linds?" she asked.
"Far out," he nodded goofily

"I will talk to Mom and Dad about a home birth when I get home."
"I'm going too, if mom and dad will drop us off. I was told I could stay with you, to make sure you're alright. I worry about you. We can talk about it with them together."

"Oh Linds!" She gave him a sweet peck on the lips.

"You're moving in with the Nicks? What about when she goes back to school?" Morris asked, concerned the couple was getting ahead of themselves.
"Just until Stevie is better again. Mr. Nicks gave me a job and this will give me a chance to talk think through with him."
"Well, alright" Morris nodded. "Let us know what is decided."

"I sure will."

The doctor entered, apologizing for his absence. "There was an emergency surgery I had to attend. Everything is going well now. Mother and baby are just fine." Stevie's eyes grew wide.

"Surgery?!" She mouthed to Lindsey and he shrugged.

"Anywho, let's bring this machine over here and listen to the baby. Have you two heard the heart beat before?"
"I have," Stevie smiled

"I haven't," Lindsey shook his head, holding onto Stevie's hand, "I didn't know you could do such a thing."
"Neither could I but it was beautiful." Stevie told him, rubbing the back of his hand comfortingly.
Lindsey sat nervously beside her, his brow furrowing when the doctor applied a clear jelly to Stevie's stomach. "What is that?"
"It's so they can hear the baby. They use that transducer to listen." Stevie told him and the doctor nodded.

"That's right. Ready?"
Stevie nodded, peaking over at Lindsey as he nervously bounced his knee
"Are you alright, honey?"

"Yeah" Lindsey gave her a half smile, taking her hand.

"Here we go" the doctor said, the low chugging of their baby's heartbeat filling the room.
Stevie turned her head towards Lindsey, wanting to see his reaction. She was shocked to his him slumped over, shoulders shaking with sobs as he listened to the heartbeat
"Oh, Linds..." Stevie smiled up at him, years in her eyes as well. "Isn't it amazing?"
He nodded, kissing her tenderly as he wiped at his eyes. "That's so beautiful..."
"Our little girl" she whispered.

"Would you like to know the sex of the baby? It's not 100 percent yet but we are good at making a great educated guess."

"Yes!" Lindsey said eagerly. "Would you like to know, Stevie?"

"Yes, please."
"A girl," the doctor smiled kindly, "definitely a girl."

Lindsey's eyes were glued to the screen that displayed his child, "We were right, Steph."
"A girl! It feels so real now." A sob escaped Stevie's lips and Lindsey kissed her, smoothing her hair.

"Sweet Sara." Ruth cooed.

"She's a beauty, kids." Morris praised.

Stevie and Lindsey had almost forgotten his parents were still in the room.
"She is," Lindsey agreed, kissing the top of Stevie's head

"Well she is the epitome of a healthy baby!" The Doctor smiled, "can I print you some pictures?"
"Yes! I can't wait to show mama and daddy!" Stevie said, hugging Lindsey's waist.
"I hate that missed it," Lindsey agreed

"Well, Ms. Nicks you are free to go home. Everything looks fine!"
"Thank you, Doctor." Stevie shook the man's hand and he left the room. Stevie wiped the gel form her stomach with tissue and Lindsey helped her get off the bed.

"You don't mind taking us home, do you?" Lindsey asked his parents.

"Not at all, kids, and we will drop by the front desk to pick up those pictures of the baby from Stevie's parents." Ruth said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 814 19
Set somewhere in the 90's. Something different.
11.8K 753 34
Stevie and Lindsey meet again.
22.6K 1.2K 31
70's. Stevie and Lindsey had never been Buckingham Nicks, never been in Fleetwood Mac. This time, completely different circumstances bring them toget...
35.6K 1.3K 45
Lindsey and Stevie trying to find their way back to each other. Pre-Dance.