The Academy - Book III

By emmyles

This is the final installment in the Series! *This book features very mature content! If you don't like your... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Don't Kill Me
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Q & A
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine - Side Chapter
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four Part 1
Chapter Fifty Four Part 2
Chapter Fifty Four - Part 3
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six part One
Chapter Fifty Six Part Two
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Author Note
Word Index and Information
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Help Pick a Cover
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Epilogue

Chapter Six

6.5K 210 66
By emmyles

Chapter Six
Ah-Taria, Hand's Residence

"Ruby I have heard rumors that you have started an affair with Octavius Moore while still seeing the third chair.  Is this true," asked Trip Hand as he raked his hands through his gray peppered red hair.  "You keep bouncing from man to man as if it's okay.  After talking with your mother we have decided it is time you settle down.  You are well pass the age and your mother and I are ready to have you out of the house."

Ruby stared absently out of her father's study window as she thought over his words.  Slowly she wiped her hands down the tight blue dress she wore.  "I have not yet found a man that I wish to spend the rest of my life with."

"What of Kaelen Ward," sputtered Trip as he rose to his feet.  "With the rumor mill churning soon no man in his right mind will marry you.  You'd be lucky to be made some man's paramour!  Even Ah'Tarian men have their limits on acceptable wanton behavior."

"You are only a step away from being considered a prostitute," snapped Martha Hand as she fluffed her cotton candy pink hair.  "There are families that will forbid you from being married into their family or taken as a paramour."

"And," mocked Ruby as she stared down at her blue finger nails.  "There are a plethora of rich men that are tripping over themselves to fuck me.  Why should I settle down now or ever?"

"Because like your mother your looks will fade," snapped Trip as he stared at his beloved, yet spoiled, daughter.

Ruby shrugged as she walked toward the door, "I've only just had my 135th birthday.  Why the rush now to have me married."

"You are sleeping with the third chair," sighed Martha as she gave her husband an angry glare, "You will not find any better than him."

Ruby rolled her eyes as she walked toward the door, "He is a stepping stone to a Lawson or Sinclair.  I will not settle for him when I can have one of them."

"I hope you are not aiming for Lucas or Jacob.  Those two don't see beyond the whores they are with," yelled Martha as she cut her hand through the air.  "That Ebony mongrel is pregnant with Lord Jacob's second child and he's adopted her child.  He is smitten with her and it's repulsive that he actually created a contract for her that gives her the privileges of being his paramour but omitted the parts that made her nothing more than a servant.  He is mocking us all with his disregard to Ah'Tarian laws.  And let me not start on His Grace -!"

Ruby rolled her eyes as she listened to her mother drone on about the first and second seat's heirs. When she'd finished a detailed account of Kayla's place in society and in the Sinclair family she smirked. "I will be with one of them or someone in their immediate family.  Kaelen is a stepping stone nothing more than my lap dog.  Octavius is a good fuck that is adventurous.  Since that Xara woman has entered the picture Kaelen has become boring."

"You think too highly of yourself," snapped Trip as he took in his daughter.  "You have three months," he continued as he waved Ruby away.  "If you are not married by then I don't know how you will live but I will no longer be taking care of you."

Ruby stared shocked at her father's announcement.  "H-h-how could you threaten to disown me," asked Ruby as she tried to tear up.  "W-w-why would you make me settle?"

"I've heard you lie to Kaelen saying you wish to be his wife," her mother laughed as she brushed pass her.  "You should be honest and admit that he doesn't want you and that's why you've started seeing Octavius."

"He does want me," yelled Ruby angrily.  With a harsh glare toward her father she rubbed her hand on her blue dress and walked out of his study.
*******
Ah'Taria - Training Area of the Coliseum

Kaelen rubbed his right eye as it started to jump again.  "If I didn't know any better I'd think someone was talking about me," he mumbled as the eye continued to twitch uncontrollably.

"Is that some type of Nah'Byian thing," asked Anthony semi-amused as he watched Lucas and Jacob spar with Kevin as the referee.

Kaelen gave Anthony a blank stare as he shook his head.  "I can't even with you."

Sebastian turned to stare at Kaelen and Anthony frustrated, "Aren't we supposed to be sparring? We've been standing here for thirty minutes watching them stand there or circling around each other.  When is something going to happen?  When are we going to begin?"

"They are fighting," drawled Anthony as his gray eyes stared deep into Sebastian's.

Sebastian glared before he turned to stare at Lucas and Jacob again.  With a shake of his head he mumbled, "It looks more like they are just circling each other right now."

"Focus," snapped Kaelen as he frowned darkly at him.  "How is it possible that you have such a high power level but suck at everything else?"

"Same way that you have a high power level that you can't use worth a damn," mumbled Sebastian as he tried to focus on Lucas and Jacob.  After several seconds he watched Lucas and Jacob flash away before they returned in a blur.  "Wow," gushed Sebastian as he pointed excitedly toward where Lucas and Jacob stood.  "Did you see that?  They moved so fast I almost missed it!"

Anthony scratched his head with a frown, "It took you that long to notice?"

"Yeah," answered Sebastian confused. "Were they always doing that?"

Anthony took a deep breath as he took in Kaelen's disgruntled expression.  "Kaelen and I will hopefully have you at that level in a few days."

"No we won't," snapped Kaelen as he curled his lip up in distaste at Sebastian.  "There is no way in Hades we'll be able to get him to that level in a few days."  Kaelen tugged on his ear as he shook his head, "Forget the fact that he has a high power level he first need to learn how to fight."

Anthony shrugged, "I'm sure we can get him there in a few days."

"So our goal is to get him to move fast," asked Kaelen sardonically.

Anthony released a pent up breath as he gave Kaelen a frustrated look. "He will move fast and accurately.  He will learn how to fight at that speed or he will die trying."

"Yeah," responded Kaelen in disbelief.  "So in the next few days you will have taught him how to fight and how to do it while moving at lightening speeds?"

"Yes we will," drawled Anthony.  "It only took me half a day to teach him how to read at a third year, middle school level."

"Oh," laughed Kaelen as he nodded, "Because he was able to pick up elementary reading and writing you think he'll be able to pick up fighting."

"Xara helped me," exclaimed Sebastian eager to bring her name up.  Sebastian watched amused as a flush ran up Kaelen's neck at the mention of her name.

Kaelen gave Sebastian a disinterested look as he neck turned crimson, "I didn't know she knew how to read or write."

"Maybe if you actually spoke to her instead of treating her like a pin cushion you would have known," snapped Sebastian annoyed by Kaelen's attitude.  "Xara is a sweet person that just wants you to be nice to her."

Kaelen gave Sebastian a blank look, "I don't have anything to talk to her about.  And I really don't care if she a prude or nice."

"I think you do," laughed Anthony as he watched Lucas and Jacob disappear again.

Kaelen shrugged as he watched Lucas and Jacob reappear next to Kevin.  "I'm tired and still need to meet up with Acadia," he yelled toward Kevin when he saw they were about to start sparring again.

"Oh," called Kevin as he turned to look at Kaelen.  "How's the mediation going?"

Lucas wiped sweat from his brow as he joined Kevin and Kaelen's conversation.  "My mom said that you are doing well!"

"Mine did too," laughed Jacob as he appeared next to Kaelen.  "I need to go visit my parents so I'll go with you."

Kevin tilted back on his heels as he stared at Kaelen.  "Yes he is doing very well," he announced a little too happily.  "It may have something to do with the cute little pink and gold stone I gave her a few days ago."

"What stone," asked Lucas as he raised a hand to call for a bottle of water.

"Nothing," mumbled Kaelen as he glanced from beneath his eyelashes at Kevin.

"Oh," laughed Kevin as he ignored Kaelen's dark scowl.  "It sends a small pulse if he tries to drink too much from her."

"Ah," laughed Jacob as he took in Kaelen's blank expression.  "I would think that would definitely assist in making sure Xara remains alive while he's better trained."

Kaelen rolled his eyes, "One of you could have told me there was an actual dark presence inside you that drove you to kill."

"Now what fun would that have been," laughed Lucas as he patted him on the back.

"Whatever," mumbled Kaelen as he started to walk toward the door.  He turned in time to see Anthony show Sebastian the first of several basic fighting stances he'd need to learn.  With a grunt he nodded toward Jacob, "Is Lucas coming to?"

Jacob looked over his shoulder to see Lucas reach out to correct Sebastian's stance. "No he's eager to teach someone and Lucca and Layette are still too young to learn hand to hand combat."

Kaelen rolled his eyes as they stepped out of the coliseum.
********
Lawson Estate

"I appreciate you going shopping with me," smiled Xara as she stared down at the produce she'd purchased from the Silver Lights District.

Acadia gave Xara a bright smile as she waved for her to sit down, "It's the least I could do after you gave me those delicious brownies."

"Those brownies were good," chimed Celeste as she sat down across from Xara and Acadia.  "What type of brownies did you say they were again?"

Xara stared at the floor as she played with the skin on her thumb, "Blondie’s."

"Blondie’s," repeated Celeste thoughtfully.  "I believe I will have them served at the next banquet."

"Now," began Acadia as she sat back in the plush red chair and gazed at Xara.  "I need you to sit straight, stare in front of you and stop fiddling with your finger."

Xara immediately sat back in the chair, ramrod straight with her hands placed neatly in her lap.

"Ah," laughed Celeste as she watched Xara.  "You are so easy to comply with other's wishes.  We wanted to discuss that with you."

Xara stared from one to the other, "I don't understand."

"Ah'Tarian men are drawn to women that are weaker than them," laughed Acadia as she shook her head.

Xara gave a perplexed frown, "But Kayla and Ebony are not weak and neither are you."

Celeste nodded slowly as she contemplated Xara's words.  With caution, she slowly began to speak, "Lucas likes Kayla's fighting spirit but has on occasion tried to crush it.  Ebony knows how far she can push Jacob before he pushes back.  As for Acadia and myself we've been married for decades to Isaiah and Joshua."

"Ah," Xara shook her head not able to understand. "That still doesn't explain it."

"Ah'Tarian women are different.  We are not meant to be docile," laughed Acadia as she waved a hand.

"But you fear Jacob," pointed out Xara.

Acadia laughed as she sat back in her chair, "I do not fear Jacob.  I am weary of the darkness that lurks within him."

"Darkness," whispered Xara as she thought this over.  "Do you mean that shadow that's always hovering behind him and Lucas?"

"Shadow?"  Celeste stared at Xara not able to comprehend. 

"What shadow do you see," asked Acadia as she moved forward to stare hard at Xara.  "Does it know you can say it?"

Celeste stared between them confused.  "Why would a shadow know its being looked at?"

"Hush," snapped Acadia, her eyes never left Xara's face as she waited eagerly for her to respond.  "Xara," began Acadia as she waited for her the answers.

"Um," whispered Xara as she stared at Acadia doubtfully, "I don't think it knows I can see it."

"Tell me about when you see them," urged Acadia anxiously.

Xara stared beside Acadia and shook her head, "I can't."

Acadia frowned as she followed Xara's apprehensive eyes to an empty spot next to her.  "Why not?"

"I can't," whispered Xara in fear as her eyes widened.  "It will kill me if I do," she screamed as she jumped from her seat to get away from both Celeste and Acadia.

"What is it," asked Celeste confused.  Celeste rose and waved a hand toward the empty spot, "I tire of whatever game you two are playing."

"It's not a game," smiled Acadia darkly.  "She can see it."

"It," asked Celeste as apprehension race up and down her back.  "What is it?"

Acadia laughed as her eyes started to flicker gold, "She can see the darkness."

"Acadia what's wrong with you," asked Celeste as she slowly made her way to Xara.

Xara grabbed Celeste hand and shook her head, "That's not really Acadia."

"Then who is it," snapped Celeste watching as Acadia's eyes turned gold.

Xara stared at Celeste with a look of confusion, "It's the darkness."

Celeste shook her head, "That's a myth!"

Xara pressed her lips together and arched an eyebrow toward Acadia.  "You should tell it that it doesn't exist then."

"Do you see mine," snapped Celeste as she watched Acadia stare to stalk toward them.

Xara nodded, "Yes but it's not as big or dark as hers."  Xara stared at Acadia enthralled when the darkness seemed to be leashed and dragged from around Acadia until it was once again small and beside her.

"That was close and definitely answered my questions," laughed Acadia as she sat back down.  "Sit, sit," she patted a sit next to her as she smiled at both Celeste and Xara.

Celeste shook her head slowly, "I need to alert Isaiah to this and the council needs to be informed" 

Acadia pursed her lips as she stared a Celeste, "But aren't you just a tad bit curious."

"Goddess yes," exclaimed Celeste as she excitedly sat down next to Acadia stared at Xara.  "Tell us everything! You can see."  Celeste paused before she gave a huge smile, "Start with Kevin's and work your way down."

"Well," began Xara as she stared at this nervously.  "Kevin's shadow is always sitting on his shoulder and it winks at me sometimes."

Acadia had to stop herself as a laugh escaped her, "I believe that means Kevin knows you can see it."

Xara shrugged, "King Isaiah -."

"Skip him and Joshua and go straight to Lucas, Jacob and Kaelen's," suggested Acadia anxiously.

"Lucas," whispered Xara as she gave them a puzzled look.  "Lucas's darkness wraps itself around Kayla whenever she's around.  If she's not around seems dejected."

Celeste shook her head shocked, "I would never have thought."

"Jacob's darkness seems like it wants to envelop him in an almost impenetrable fog but he keeps it at bay with that smile."

Acadia started to laugh, "So the darkness is in the boy too!"

Xara nodded, she'd seen the darkness in his eyes, "And Kaelen's darkness hangs on to him like a thick cloak upset that he will not let it embrace him."

"Ah," nodded Acadia.  "That would explain his brief fits of rage."

"What about Anthony," asked Celeste very much interested.

"He manifested it," replied Xara.

"That gray mist he's always sounding himself with," laughed Celeste as she shook her head.  "I always knew you Lawson's were a special bunch."

Acadia smacked her lips together as she rolled her eyes at Celeste.  "Yeah at least our know how to itself.  Lucas's wraps around Kayla," she laughed humorlessly.

"Kevin can see it," continued Xara.

"Hmm," nodded Acadia as she rose.  "Kaelen will be here shortly for his meditation."  Acadia stared hard at Xara for a moment as a question rose to her mind.  "How does Kaelen's shadow respond when you are around?"

Xara frowned, "At first it would surround and take him over.  Now it just stares at me with a angry smile."

"That's interesting," thought Celeste out load.

"Is it," responded Xara as she touched the necklace Kevin had given her.  "I'm relieved."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.6K 1.5K 28
Kayla Miles strayed where she wasn't supposed to and in the process, caught the attention of the leader of a group everyone feared. * * * " You shou...
764K 31K 60
DISCRETION SERIES - Stand Alone - BOOK #5 ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎ " I only trust you, Tesoro.. " He muttered once again, not budging when I tried to pull...
355K 15.4K 62
*This book features very mature content! If you don't like your men dominant stop now because this is your only warning!* She thought she had gotten...
328K 10.9K 35
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...