Behind Prison Bars

By state_of_mind_

Pendent Hall is the biggest unisex prison to date. If you're lucky - they'll give you the death penalty. If n... More

**BACKGROUND INFO** (skip if you want)
Sick Boy.
The Yard.
Like Father Like Son.
Jail Birds.
Go Hard Or Go Home.
Baby In A Box.
Screwball Steve's.
The Second Night.
You Can't Handle Pendant Hall.
Anticipating The Worst.
Que Sera Sera.
Two Sips.

Trouble In Paradise.

818 18 12
By state_of_mind_

State - sorry it's a week late, we've only got 2 more exams and then we'd be able to upload more frequently, any suggestions on actors/actresses for any characters?
We know where we're going now with the story line and have already considered writing a sequel book.
P.s. Brandi has a monobrow ;)

Brandi: he's joking i don't ffs-_- votes & comments are much appreciated:)
P.s. State's real name is Queenie.

State: P.s. Brandi has crabs.

Brandi: P.s. State has a small penis.

State: hahaha, we're joking btw:L

Brandi: Or are we?;)

******************************************************************************************************************

Seth's P.O.V.

I then snapped out of my thoughts and realised i had walked from the other side of the yard to the front of the line, where a copper stood in front of me, arms folded.
"You know the rules kid, only twen'y people at a time" the copper said to Jason, who was ranting on about how someone pushed in front of him.
"But there's still room you dumb bastard! lemme in" he faced up with the copper, but his height meant that he was looking up instead of at eye level.
"It's full" the copper pushed Jason back into his place.
I walked up to the copper "Let me in" i said effortlessly, the Officer stood out of my way and let me past.

As i walked into the changing rooms I heard Jason's whingy voice from behind me "Why did you let him in?" he complained.
I didn't see why the copper would care who got in the showers first.
"He's with Crash" the copper irritatedly replied.
Ah yes, i nearly forgot, the guards don't run this prison - Crash does, d'you know what; you might as well wipe his golden-plated arse while your at it.

"I'm with Crash" Jason spat "tell him Seth" christ, that kid wouldn't give up would he?
"Piss off kid, it took me a year to work my way up to the front of the queue, don't think you can get that authority after a couple of weeks inside" i snapped.

GIRLS! they're so hard to figure out, them and their ever changing emotions.

The cold tiled floor snapped me back to reality, everyone had already gone to the showers so i was on my own.
The changing room was small, but tidy and clean - unlike the characteristics of the Screwball.
There was one bench lent against the wall, and the tall metal laundry basket in the corner was overflowing with prison clothes.
I looked in the single, solitary mirror on the wall and stared at my reflection.
The only mirror in the whole prison and i only saw it twice a week... but week-by-week, over the past three years, i've watched myself change in height and facial features, and it scares me how i'm starting to look more and more like him.

I inhaled and exhaled loudly, looking at myself, making myself look.
This is me, i am not him, i am not him....
But when i looked back at the mirror, my reflection remained, it laughed at me, mocking me...

"Did you think that you could honestly turn out different than me?" i heard my father's voice.

"I'm nothing like you"

"Oh i think we're more alike than you'd ever know"

I watched his eyes burn into me, my whole body froze and every instinct in my head was telling me to run.

"I'll never be like you" i said shakily.

"No you're right, you'll be worse. Killing your own father? now that is sick in the head" he tutted.

...and i was back in the kitchen at my old house.

“He’s dead” i heard my mother's words tremble.
“You killed him” her voice broke into a whispering sob.

...then i was back at the old interview room.

"Setali, who killed Mr. Cohan - your father?" the policeman asked.
"I did it" my words came back to me in a rush of heat "I killed my father and i'm glad i did so"

...and then there was Hally, beautiful, gullible Hally...

"God you must have done something really bad for 20 years" she laughed nervously.
"I killed my father" i stared back at her, watching every last colour of happiness leave her face.

I saw my father's smirking, evil face emerging again.
"And what about all the others Seth?..."

I remained silent, how did he know? he's not real Seth... you're seeing things.

"It's your fault i'm like this, you've screwed my life up, i feel disgusted to have ever called you dad"

He laughed, "You act like what i did was a bad thing? your Mother was a whore and deserved everything that was coming to her"

"Shut the fuck up, she wasn't a whore! how the fuck could she be a whore when you didn't even let her leave the house? she didn't even get a chance to speak to another guy!"

"You're so quick to defend her, yet she abandoned and disowned you just as quick"

"She was scared..."

"Save me the sob story, and take on board my advice; that bitch of yours is a manipulating whore, and just like your mom - she thinks that she has you wrapped around her little finger, but she needs to know that you own her and if she doesn't listen to you then you should give her what's coming to her"

"I would never lay a hand on her" i said disgusted.

"Seth you're such a downer! come on, maybe we can be friends?" five-year-old Hally said jumping up onto her feet grinning like a Cheshire cat.
I stood up and threw my textbook to the ground and i hit her, she fell onto the ground and stared into my eyes and i glared back, she started crying.

My father found this flash back highly amusing.
"I really doubt that son, you've had it in you since you were a child, you are very much like me"

"I'M NOT LIKE YOU" i screamed at my father facing me, mocking me, waiting for me to slip up.
It was surreal, he stood in front of me, not doing anything but smiling.
No more words left his lips, but i could hear his laughter ringing in my ears.
I must've lost control, i lashed out and my fist smashed the mirror, the icy pieces fell to the ground and scattered around my feet.
I pulled my fist back to inspect my bloodied knuckles, just bruises, no bone damage.

Then a voice startled me.
"Seth?" i sighed in relief when i realised it was Jackson "What you doin' here?"
"Nothing" i rushed past him.
"Dude, you were talkin' to yourself..."
"No i wasn't"
"But i heard you" Jackson urged but kept his distance, like he was scared "you were talkin' to the mirror..."
"It doesn't matter, drop it" i snapped.
"If you say so, but i'm worried for you" Jackson said concerned.
"Well don't be" i took my clothes of leaving my boxers on and chucked the rest of my clothes into the laundry basket.
Jackson moved out of my way to let me past and i headed into the shower room.

The steam coming from the showers soon surrounded me, the best thing about going into the showers first was that you got the limited hot water before it ran out, i remember the icy showers i use to have to endure - never again.

The usual people from Crash and Rebbecca's group were first in the showers, 9 boys; Crash, Spencer, Jerry, Dale, Liam, Jackson, Nathen, Tristen and Rhys, 10 girls; Rebbecca, Tina, Fellissa, Lily, Evie, Niamh, Lydia, Beth, Isobel (replacing Mia) and Hally (replacing Dallas) - who has't showed up to the showers for quite some time now, come to think about it, i don't remember the last time i saw her on the yard.

The showers were surprisingly quiet for once, i took the last shower on the right hand side.
Hally was showering at the far end of the showers, our eyes met for a few seconds then her eyes looked questionably at my bloodied fists, but then she looked away, i needed to speak to her - i couldn't stand her shutting me out.
I grabbed the shower gel and started washing my hair, Jackson was watching me like a hawk, i had to glare at him to get him to stop it.
Everyone in the shower seemed on edge and the tension rose.
Jackson was watching me, i was watching Hally, Hally was watching Rebbecca, and Rebbecca was watching Crash.
Crash was weighing up what he was going to do next, he knew about the murders now, the question on everyone's lips was - what was he going to do about it?

Hally's P.O.V.

I savoured the hot shower whilst i had it, going more than a day without a shower would be torture.
It was a relief that everyone showered in their underwear, i'd heard stories growing up from the old lady who lived next door, that 'in her time' prisons use to be split up into men and women, and sometimes straight men in prison missed sex so much that they started to rape other weaker male inmates in the shower, but as i assured her before i came into prison - this was the modern day and people aren't as uncivilized as they were 50 years ago.

The prison guards seemed to be a bit thick, as everyone knows that boys use shower gel and girls use shampoo and conditioner, but all we had was shower gel, and yeah i know i'm complaining but i could put up with anything; sharing a shower with 19 other people, showering in my underwear in front of everyone and showering in between Dale (who kept on perving on me) and Teeth (who looked down her nose at me), i didn't care about any of those things, but i really don't know how i'm going to live without conditioner - my hair will go all tangley and ugly and i'll look like a tramp, i'll get split-ends and my hair will fall out, i might as well crawl up in a ball now and die.
To make things worse, Crash was shooting out that threatening glare at everyone and it was making everyone edgy, but i tried to forget about him and his 'apology' and decided instead - to enjoy the shower, well i would've if it wasn't for Seth staring at me, why couldn't he just get the message that you can't fuck around with me and think it's acceptable, i still felt for him and hated being mad at him, but i wasn't prepared to let this bet slip my mind.
Wait... why was his fist covered in blood?
Had he gotten into a fight?
Had he done it out of anger?
Was i the one who made him angry?
I tried to come up with possible reasons for why Seth had busted his fist open, but i couldn't concentrate.

Dale was getting on my nerves, he kept on checking all the girls out with me included, that guy really needed a girlfriend, you'd think he'd never seen a girl in her underwear before.
Most girls just gave him daggers if he looked at them, but this asian girl that i'd seen hanging around with Rebbecca pretended to snap an imaginary cock when he looked her way.

Rebbecca was on the opposite shower side to me, she could be oddly quiet sometimes and she acted like a totally different person when Crash was around, like a scared, shy little girl.
Today had been hectic and she looked fed-up and tired.
It was horrible seeing Rebbecca's body without her clothes on, not that she had a nice body - she did, but she was covered head-to-toe in bruises and deep cuts, she looked like a punching bag and it made me feel physically sick that someone could do something like that to another human being.
Rebbecca realised that i was gawping at her scars, and she looked straight back at me - her expression was so forlorn, so empty like the hope had been sucked out of her, she sighed and returned her glance at the floor.
I felt really bad for being ungrateful about the conditioner, life could be a lot, lot worse.

The showers cut off.
Crash and some other guys pushed their way through and were first out of the showers, Seth was standing at the other end of the showers and i wasn't about to wait around for him, so i followed everyone else into the changing rooms.

Clean sets of prison clothes were folded neatly into piles, but were soon chucked around the room as everyone found the right sizes and began changing.
"Hally" Seth stood in front of me.
"Now's not the time" i blanked him whilst putting my joggers on.
"Just tell me what i've done wrong" he wouldn't give up and people were starting to ears drop.

Seth's P.O.V.

"Like you don't know" she squared up to me, everyone turned to see what was going on.
"No, i don't actually, so do you mind telling me?" i shot back in frustration.
"Is there a problem Set?" Crash said calmly from the other side of the room, the changing room was so quiet now and all eyes were on Hally, she wasn't seriously considering fighting me - was she?
"No" i replied.
"Yes, there is actually" Hally answered back.
"I was talkin' to Seth, you stupid bitch" Crash got up off the bench he was sat on and walked over to where Hally stood, his fists were clenched and ready.
"She didn't mean anything Crash" Rebbecca stood in front of her "It's just been a long day".
Crash gave Hally a dirty look and then glared at Rebbecca, but she didn't budge - which was a huge mistake - and one she'd probably pay for later.
"If she knows what's good for her, she'll keep her trap shut next time" Crash threatened in a calm voice.
Crash released his clenched fists and walked back over to where he had been sitting, then he sank back down - not gracefully, but like a sack of potatoes, and the room became eerily quiet once again.

Hally looked shaken up.
Her eyes were fixed on the ground as she got changed, she held her breath for a long while before releasing it steadily.
The spark on her face and the care free presence she brought with her had faded into fear.
"Hally?" i said bellow a whisper.
She looked right through me, almost like she was too scared to make eye contact with me.
"Yeah" she replied, out of the corner of my eye i saw Crash watching her - as if waiting for her to slip up.
"Lets go somewhere private, so we can talk" i motioned towards the door.
Without another word; Hally followed me out of the changing room'.

The loud bustling of conversations from the shower queue in the yard broke the silence, and i felt like i could relax a bit more.
The whole of the yard were formed in a position changing line.
The line wouldn't part in fear of a person losing there place, so Hally and I had to walk around the line to get to the cell door.
As we approached the end of the line we both saw Jason - no longer complaining at the front of the queue, but cursing and glaring at the back of the queue.

"Seth" Jason acknowledged me, but disregarding Hally.
"Jason" i sighed, i getting was fed up of this kid already.
"The guard made me go to the back of the queue, I've been stood in this queue for half an hour now, the guy in front of me told me that i've another two hours wait before the showers are free" Jason shook his head.
"I feel for you bro, i really do, but i've got to go..."
"What am i doin' wrong?" he asked seriously.
"Pardon?"
"What am i doin' that makes people dislike me? i should be runnin' this place by now" Jason whined and i laughed at his optimism.
"You try too hard" i said honestly "try respecting people, instead of picking fights and arguments because it doesn't make you a big man, it makes you a waster"
"Yeah, yeah, got it the first time" Jason blagged "be seeing you" he slap-hanshaked me.
Hally seemed distant "you too" he said to her and put his hand on her arm, but just as quickly as he did this - she flinched and stared back in shock, her breathing increased.
"You alright? i didn't hurt you did i?" Jason asked confused.
"No, i'm sorry" she answered and stared back down at her feet.
Jason gave me a questioning look.
"Everyone's on edge because of the murders" i put a protective, reassuring arm over Hally but she just brushed it off by moving away from me, which indicated that she didn't feel safe or comfortable around anyone at the moment.
Crash must've really scared her.

Hally and I left Jason in the queue and walked up a couple of flights of stairs in complete silence.
Everyone was either in the showers, changing room or queue and it was weirdly peaceful for once.
We stopped on my floor and i followed her into my cell, she sat down on the mattress and i stood lent against the sink, Hally just stared at the wall.
I don't know how long he stayed like this, but every passing second became more difficult.
"Are you braking up with me?" i asked fed up of the silence we both had to endure.
"We were never together" she sighed.
"So what was last night then? come on Hally, tell me what's going on in that head of yours, you're not the type of girl to sleep around and we've established that you don't want a relationship with me, so what was it? did you sleep with me out of boredom?" i stressed running my hands through my hair.
"I don't know! ok? i don't know why i did it" she said angrily, but at least she wasn't as tense as she was before.
"Do us a favour and tell me when you figure that one out" i replied coldly.
"Do you like me?" she asked and stared straight into my eyes as if she was trying to read me like an open book, my heart skipped a beat.
"Yeah" i replied "and if you don't feel the same, then please let me know because i'm tired of you leading me on..."
"But you don't respect me" she cut me off.
What the hell was she going on about? how did i not respect her?
"What do you mean?" i asked.
"I heard about your little bet" her voice was venomous.
Bet? what the hell was she going on about! ...oh
"Technically i didn't bet on anything, it was more Jackson, Liam and the other guys" i wanted to mentally kick myself and probably would later.
"But you still played a major role in this 'bet', and i don't want to be with someone who (A) can't respect me enough to keep my sex life private, and (B) sleeps with me so his friend could win a couple of extra cigs, so excuse me if i'm not actually certain on whether i like you back at this moment in time" she was good at arguing, i'd give her that.
"I bet you 10 cigarettes that you do like me back" i confidently said trying to ease the tension, but i realised i'd said the wrong thing...
"Is this some kind of joke to you? because i'm not laughing" Hally said disgusted.
"Come on Hally, that bet had nothing to do with me" i said more seriously "it was Liam's idea..."
"Liam?" she snapped.
"Yeah"
I wondered what she had against him, he was an alright guy when you got to know him.
She sighed deeply and got up off the mattress, walked over to the cell door and held it open for me.

"Listen, i haven't got the energy to deal with all this at the moment, i'll speak to you tomorrow" she indicated for me to leave.
"You're kicking me out??" i asked in the most surprised voice i could conjure.
"Yes" she said effortlessly.
"But it's my cell?" my brows were so close they almost knitted together.
"Oh i'm sure a big strong boy like you can go and bully an old man into giving you his cell, but if that's too much hard work for you, you could always wager a bet for it" she spoke irritated.
"Hally, you're being unfair..."
"Life is unfair Seth" retorted without a hint of pity in her voice.
I noticed behind me; Jackson, Fellissa and Rebbecca heading up the stairs and they stopped on our floor.
"I give up! you're too much hard work" i shouted at her.
"And you're a jerk" she replied.
"And you're a headfuck" i said.
"And you're a officially dumped"

*SLAM*

"Trouble in paradise?" Jackson laughed.
"What's goin' on?" Fellissa asked.
"She kicked me out?" i said, not believing it myself.
Fellissa and Jackson had wild smirks on their faces, finding the whole thing amusing; however Rebbecca stared back in disbelief.
"Why?" Rebbecca asked seriously, whilst Fellissa and Jackson were trying to hold it together in the attempt to look sympathetic for me.
"Liam made a bet that i wouldn't get Hally to have sex with me..." i began.
"Did you have anything to do with this?" Fellissa snapped at Jackson, it was scary how fast she could change her personality.
"No babe" Jackson panicked.
"Don't lie to me" Fellissa sighed.
"Alright, yeah, i did, i only bet on a couple of spliffs" Jackson said defensively - as if it would justify his actions.
"You told me you gave them up!" Fellissa said furiously.
"I'm tryin' babe, but it's difficult..."
"Don't 'babe' me, you've really upset me, Hally is my friend Jackson and she didn't deserve any of this" Fellissa pushed past me to my cell door and knocked three times "I'm staying with Hally tonight" she said to a devastated Jackson, Hally opened the door, let Fellissa in and closed it again.

"But it's my cell..." i said, not taking this all in, and sounding like a needy child.
Rebbecca sighed "Here's what's going down: Hally and Fellissa are going to sleep in Seth's cell tonight, Jackson - you are going to let Seth stay at yours tonight, both of you idiots are going to make up with them tomorrow and you'll get both your cells and girlfriends back, is that simple enough for you?" she asked, but didn't wait for a reply "Good, now i don't know whether you've been paying attention lately, but there's a fucking psychopath on the loose killing people at random, so Crash is under a lot of pressure at the moment to get is sorted, he wont want to hear about any petty fight you and your girlfriends have and will most likely kick off and lash out at one of them if he thinks they're causing problems, so i advice you very carefully to keep your relationship problems to yourself, or this will all end bad" that woman scared me, the amount of abuse she's had to put up with has made her thick skinned, but she was right; there were more important things to be worrying about.

"REBBECCA!" we heard Crash roar from the bottom floor.
"Bye boys" she said to us trying to hide the cower she let out when Crash had called her name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...