What Life Holds

By LifeCreatorsx3

Alice is a girl full of positive energy, who awaits to experience college life and ready to kick down any obs... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98

Chapter 42

232 12 345
By LifeCreatorsx3

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Grey Damon as Ashton Sanders

Valorie Curry as Anna Matthews

Dulce Maria as Nina Andrews

Ansel Elgort as Matthew 'Matt' Foster

Booboo Stewart as Grant Simmons

Toru Uchikado as Ren Kurosawa

Vanessa's POV

This weekend has been all about studying. Almost. Alice and I spent every minute of it into our room, reading all over again our notes for our classes. Exams are on their way and I convinced her that having a program in this case can be life saving. We took little breaks in between to watch last week's Supernatural episode. In the end, we actually started a new series too. Alice says that starting a new show during exams period is a total must. I find it a little distracting but the Blacklist has been proven a very dynamic show. Since it is FBI material, Alice has an opinion on everything that happens and paused every now and then the episode to explain to me the terms or to remark what they were doing wrong. Bring pizza into the game and you have the perfect girl weekend in. Truth to be told we ate a little too much and the room is in a chaos. Notes and books on the floor and pizza boxes to throw away on the desks. Alice has been kind enough to wake up a little earlier than normal to help me with tidying the room before her class.

"I still can't believe that you thought Joseph and Sophie were together!" I tease Alice for the millionth time as I start making my bed. I couldn't hold my laughter when she told me about her little encounter with Robin and Sophie at the coffee shop last week.

"Shut up! It wasn't my fault! Nina is the one to blame! She kept telling me how sure she was that they are a couple!" Alice groans,because she got tired of my teasing.

"It's still funny though!" I giggle discreetly and immediately stop after Alice gives me one of her famous glares. "I am glad you found out, I am so happy for them both! For Sophie and Robin! Especially for Sophie. She was struggling with it at first but everything worked out in the end. Joseph was a big help to that."

"It's really nice that they found each other! It's so strange how two people so different can be together. Joseph doesn't cease to surprise me I have to admit." She huffs as she's tidying her desk which, I have to say, is a total mess.

"I guess it's true what they say. Opposites do attract." I shrug. "Joseph has been always there for Sophie. He is such a good friend to her. An amazing one really! I always knew that-I mean they were always together, and I imagined there must be a reason for him to be her only true friend but during the previous month I've seen it with my own eyes. Under his playful attitude there is such a caring and loving person. But I guess he only shows that side of him to certain people." It is true really. Joseph has been proven a wonderful friend to Sophie and she is lucky to have him. Joseph is to Sophie what Emma is to me. A loyal childhood friend who no matter what will never leave your side.

"I won't disagree,because we have called it a truce and we decided not to fight anymore as I have told you. He still sneers at me, but I guess that's a price I have to pay." Alice remarks casually.

"Come on, it's just the two of us!" I rest my hands on my waist and raise my eyebrows at her. "He risked a lot for you when he helped you with... that paper thing." I whisper as if someone is listening. It is a delicate matter and I don't want Alice to get in trouble for it.

"Yeah, that was something I didn't expect I have to say and that's why he went up in my estimation. He helped me big time and I don't think I will ever be able to repay him." she sighs, as she continues tidying her office. Alice isn't the one to be called ungrateful. She acknowledged Joseph's help despite her initial dislike towards him. In fact now that they are already passed that, I believe they would enjoy each other's company. They are both so companionable and with great sense of humor.

"Well, that Halloween dance could be considered as a repay." I wink at her and place my pillow on the bed.

"What dance?" Alice looks kind of shocked at me and she suddenly stops what she was doing.

"What do you mean what dance? You were dancing with him before our Wannabe performance." I say and do my classic baby Spice impersonation.

"Ah yeah right! The studying session during the weekend was too much for me! My brain is about to explode!" she grimaces, mimicking a head explosion with her hands. "Well, he wanted to dance, I wanted to dance, so we danced. That's all! It just happened! I don't think it counts as a repay." She moves her hands nervously. I find it kind of strange for Alice, since she's not the nervous type. Maybe I pushed her too hard in the weekend.

"Okay, sounds normal since it was a party." I give her a puzzling look. "I am glad we stayed in for the weekend. I studied for the majority of my classes so exams will be a piece of cake. Hopefully! With all these projects and papers that still need to be done, I believe it was the best thing to do. Plus, we had such a great time!"

"Yeah, we had! Thank God I persuaded you to start a new TV series. I would have killed myself if we only studied! Also what's going on with the History project? Does Nathan keep being out of the sight?" She asks concerned. "Please give me the green light to kick his balls! His indifferency is getting on my nerves!" she exasperates.

"Oh my God, I can't believe I didn't tell you about it! Nathan showed up at class last Friday!" I inform her as I begin to place my books and notes on my desk with the right order.

"Seriously??? Did someone point a gun at him or something?" she asks astonished and she turns to look at me.

"No!" I chuckle. I will never get enough of Alice's jokes. "And there's more. He agreed on doing the project with me." Alice opens her eyes widely in surprise. "And he even came up with an idea for it! Can you believe it?"

"If I don't see it with my own eyes, no! I hope he did have a change of heart,otherwise I will kick his ass much harder than I did with....with a bonehead classmate." Alice hits her fist on her desk to make herself clear. "And I am not going to wait for your permission." she adds.

"Woah, ok Miss Vigilante!" I chortle "I would love to hear this story about your classmate but I think we should leave it for another time. You should go, we don't want you to miss your class."

"Always obsessed with punctuality! Anyway thanks!" she grabs her bag from her chair. "See yaaaa!" she shouts as she's leaving from the room.

I am free of classes on Monday so I can do the rest on my own. I pick up my notes for International History I from the drawer and put them in the yellow folder. Nathan and I should get the paper started soon. Next month is going to be too exigent to work on it then. I should text him to see if he has time to meet and begin with a plan of our assignment. I hope he still wants to participate.

"Good Morning Nathan! How are you doing? 😊 Do you think you could find time this week to meet up and discuss our paper?"

It's 11.30 am, this month issue is about to come out. I should go by the office. It is November indeed but the weather is pretty good for late autumn. I grab a light jacket and take the pizza boxes on my way out. I meet Brittany from next door in the elevator. She has been late yet again for her class and she tries to put some mascara on her lashes, complaining about her schedule. I nod at her words not sure what to say. It's almost noon, so I find it a quite logical time to have class. In about 15 minutes I am opening the paper's office door popping into Ashton who's about to exit.

"Oops! Sorry, did I step on you?" I ask worried.

"No, it's okay." he says trying to stabilize me from falling.

"Thank God! Good morning, Ashton!" I greet him with a smile.

"It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you did, you know. You must weigh like 90 pounds or something?" he playfully raises his eyebrows.

"Ha, I wish." I say giggling. "Actually, I don't wish it. That wouldn't be healthy." I note thinking twice about it. Ashton laughs.

"Well, I like you just the way you are." He looks right into my eyes and there's no doubt I have already blushed. My phone rings, sign I just got a text.

"I'm fine heading to the gym. How are you? Sure, when?"

"So, um... Is the paper out yet?" that is the reason that brought me here in the first place as I can recall. I text Nathan back.

"Is that all you do? Going to practice and the gym? 🙊 I am good, just got at the paper's office to grab the new issue. Does Wednesday work?"

"Yes, you can find a copy over there. I am taking this one in person to the dean." He waves the paper he holds in his hand.

"Oh, that's great! You must know him pretty well to do that." I observe.

"Not exactly. It's his first year and we want him on our side so I would call it a typical visit." Ashton explains.

"With a master plan behind." Anna adds as she appears at the office's doorstep. " Good morning, boss. Good morning to you too, little cupid."

She walks to her desk proud of causing enough trouble for the day.

"You have to blame me for that." Ashton tells me laughing. "I might have been talking about you all week long." he whispers in my ear. My phone rings again.

"Um, sorry..." I say pointing my phone.

"Never thought you would have such an interest on my activities. And to answer your question no, there are other things I like to do as well. 😉 Wednesday is fine, what time?"

I giggle.

"You clearly mistook my observation as an interest. 😑 What about 6 at the library?"

"Everything alright?" Ashton asks giving me an examining look.

"Yeah. Just trying to work things out for a paper with this unbearable partner of mine." Another Nathan's text arrives.

"Ha, you wish. I'll meet you there."

"If your partner gives you a hard time, let me know." Ashton says full of whimsy.

"Ha, thank you Ashton! Alice has it covered though." I tell him laughing.

"In any case, keep that in mind. And now I must be going. The dean will be waiting."

"Oh, yes! I'm sorry for keeping you!" I yell as he opens the door.

"Don't be." he winks at me and leaves the office.

The dean will be surprised by how good this issue is for sure! Ashton's article is exquisite. I take a paper from the front stand and answer Nathan as I walk out of the office.

"Never in under any circumstances. 😑 What's your favourite animal?"

I take a page out of his book to change the subject.

"Playing my own distraction tricks on me? Shame on you. Dogs. What's yours?" Haha, he's being funny.

"What can I say, I learnt from the best. I like dolphins! 🐬 "

"You're a quick learner,I give you points for this. 😉 What is your favorite season?"

"Spring! It lightens my mood and makes me feel optimistic. Plus, the flowers! 🌺 What about you?"

"What? Summer for sure, nothing can be compared to that. I can only find two good things about spring. Spring break and my bday."

"Ha, two things that involve a)you and b) partying. 🙉 When is your bday?"

"Hey, V!" I hear Robin's voice. She is seating on the grass, enjoying the sun. I approach her.

"Good morning, Robin! How are you?" I greet her smiling.

"Sounds logical to me. April 17th. When it's yours?" Of course he is an Aries.

"Mine is July 10th." I text him back and sit next to Robin.

"Hello there, my favorite friend! What are you doing here?" She is wearing her white converses, black jeans and a light blue t-shirt, and of course her trademark Ray-bans.

"I am good, just left the paper's office. The new issue is out, you so have to read it! Ashton did a marvellous article on the Orlando massacre. Hey! Why aren't you wearing a jacket? It might be sunny but you should take care, Robin." I scold her always with good intention. Nathan has answered me.

"So your bday is actually in the summer and you prefer spring instead. You know that's weird, right?"

Did he just call me weird? Like seriously? I roll my eyes answering him.

"Well, I enjoy my bday but I don't face it as the center of the world. I guess that's your own ability 🙊."

"Ok ok, first things first.. You talk way too fast! Yes, I would love to read the article, I know you guys did a great job. DO not remind me of the Orland thing, I am still shaken up. My pretty girl has my jacket because she forgot hers and she was cold and you do know you ARE the mother friend right?" Isn't she the best girlfriend ever?

"Aww, that is so sweet of you, Robin! Sophie is so lucky to have you! And you her! I mean, I am so happy for you guys!" I say truly meaning it and Robin blushes.

"You are our biggest fan, aren't you? Anyway missy, who are you texting? The phone is glued to your face." And my phone rings again receiving Nathan's text.

"You have a big mouth you know. Lucky for you, I have to exercise. See you on Wednesday, Vanessa."

I read it giggling.

"Speaking of the devil. Nathan just texted me back. We are trying to set a meeting for our mutual class. Have I told you we are partners?" I explain and send him a goodbye text.

"Or maybe it's the truth and you can't deny it. 🙊 Have a good practice, Nathan! See you on Wednesday! 😊"

"Wow, wait, our Nathan? Our friend Nathan texts you? Like long conversation texting or a simple no-yes answers?"She asks raising her eyebrows.

"Um...You know just texting." I say giving a shrug.

"Ohh just texting? Do you always smile when we sent you texts?" She remarks.

"I don't! I mean I didn't!" What is she talking about? "Hey, Sophie! Nice jacket!" I point as Sophie comes to our spot. Robin gives me a smirk and shakes her head. I started to feel a little bit uncomfortable with where the conversation was going so I am really thankful Sophie is here.

"Oh hello Vanessa, how are you? This is Robin's jacket, I forgot mine." She gives me a smile as she sits next to Robin. "Ro, what's that look? You are looking at Vanessa with a weird face. Were you two talking about me?" She asks and Robin laughs.

"What? I am not. We were having a very interesting convo about Nathan, right Vanessa?" Oh, no! She did not!

"What?! Not at all! He is my partner for International History I and we have to work on a paper." I inform Sophie. "And yes, we were talking about you too." Robin is giving me a deathly glare.

"Nothing bad was said, Soph. In fact Vanessa is the biggest fan of our relationship. I wonder when we'll be hers as well, and who we will ship her with." Robin says like there's a hidden meaning behind her words.

"Well, that might take a while." I say and put my hair behind my ear. "So how about I read you Ashton's article? It is really touching and a real wake-up call. You will love it!" I suggest sitting up.

"Yes, that sounds cool. Ashton always does a great job with the paper. Great job guys. You and Ashton make a good team." Sophie says to me while Robin eyerolls.

"I think so too. Thank you for your kind words, Sophie! So, listen!" I begin to read the article out loud while Robin takes Sophie's hand discreetly. Yes, she was right. I am their biggest fan.

Alice's POV

"I think that's a wrap for today!" Nina huffs and falls with force on her bed.

I came at Nina's room, after class, to look at a team paper we have. Her roommate said she was going to be out until late, so we could have the whole place to ourselves without any disturbance. Nina lives at a dorm, like me, but unfortunately her dorm is at the opposite direction of mine. Her room is decorated with paintings drawn by her favorite painters and herself, since she loves painting and seriously she's very talented. Also she has pinned different life motivational quotes all over her side.

"I think so too!" I puff. "We have been working for many hours and I don't even know what time it is."

Really, we sat our asses down to do it really focused, but as it was natural we got distracted from time to time. Nina narrated me her whole date with Matt, without leaving out a single detail. She was thrilled with his surprise and she couldn't imagine anything better. Then, we reviewed the whole Sophie incident and I told her off again for sowing me the whole couple idea between Sophie and Joseph, without disclosing Sophie's relationship with Robin. In general, we jumped from topic to topic, because let's be honest, talking and joking with a friend is always more fun than doing a project no matter how interesting it is.

"It's 9.00 pm!" Nina exclaims, looking at her phone.

"We worked for quite some time!" I remark, but I can say we did a hell of job. Our project is halfway there, but it goes pretty well. Me and Nina are an amazing team and we collaborate in an awesome way. That's not very easy to find.

"Yup, that's true! So what are you going to do?" Nina asks.

"I guess I'll go back to the dorms, put on my pjs and watch a movie or an episode with Vanessa. It depends on our mood." I shrug. "You?"

"Maybe I am going to Matt's tonight. I am calling him to know for sure!" she says and picks up the phone.

"Hey baby!" I hear Matt's voice from the other side. Nina has her phone on its loudest. I can hear Matt crystal clear, like he's standing next to me.

"Hey amor! How are you?" Nina coos in her sweetest voice and I observe her eyes are sparkling and her face is lit, like everytime she's talking to him.

"I am still with Joseph and Grant! We're trying to do a project and we're kind of stuck!" Matt tells her in a soft voice.

He said he's with Joseph? I wasn't paying much attention to the conversation, until Joseph's name was up.

"Oh!" Nina pauses. "I was thinking about coming to your place tonight, since we were talking about that earlier..." she uses her whole charm.

"Baby, of course you can come! I can't think of any better way to relax, than with you!" he answers in a sweet voice and Nina giggles.

Oh God! They are getting in the honeymoon zone now.

"Greaaaat!" She exclaims in a high pitch voice. "But first we are going to have some fun and then relax." she says mischievously and I give her an irritated look. She ignores me completely.

For God shakes, Nina! Pity me and my ears!

"You're not going to be disappointed!" He reassures her. "Can you come later though? Me and the guys are very tired and we decided to stop for today and just hang a bit. You can come if you want, but I don't know if you can put up with those jerks." Matt jokes about his friends.

Nina is about to protest, but then a simper appears on her face.

"Do you mind if I come with Alice?" she says in her most sweetest tone.

My eyes widen immediately. What? Me?

"We're just finished working on a project as well and we need to relax too. A casual home night will be ideal." she proposes, using her whole allure.

"Good idea!" he exclaims.

"Awesome!" Nina chirps, as I am giving her one of my famous glares. "We're coming right away! Can't wait to see you baby!" Her voice is full of enthusiasm.

"Me too! We will be waiting! Bye!" Matt hangs up the phone and Nina does the same.

Then, she faces me and she comes up against with my glare.

"What?" she asks like she is clueless, with an innocent look.

"Don't what me!" I move my index furiously before her. "You didn't even bother asking me!" I shout.

"Because you would say no!" she says firmly and I stay still looking at her surprised.

"You don't know that!" I defend myself.

"I do, because you're so damn stubborn. I thought you are getting along with Joseph now."

"We tolerate each other, but that doesn't mean we are best friends." I protest.

I don't even know what my relationship status with Joseph is. Acquaintances? Friends? Getting along for the sake of others? Extraordinary sexual tension, that we are trying to ignore in every possible way? Last time Joseph leaned towards me looking at my lips. He was going to kiss me. I have no idea why. I guess I hit him harder than I thought and that was one of concussion's side effects.

That moment I had two voices screaming inside my head. The first one was saying 'Go for it', 'You know you want it' and the second was telling me to stop and that it was wrong. Kiss him and then what? I was going to be another name on his list, another girl he fooled around with.

That collision was very strong and I thought I was going to explode. It scared the hell out of me, so I resisted to the first voice and I listened to the second one, the voice of reason.

I stood up quickly, I pretended like nothing had happened and acted like usual as a defence,while my heart was beating like crazy and my stomach had become tight.

"Anyway you have nothing better to do! Come and have some fun!" Nina pushes me and the truth is I want to go, not only because I am very into these casual night hangs out at houses, but because Joseph is there. I am so lame!

"Fine, I'll come!" I give in and Nina screams of happiness.

"Give me 5 minutes to get ready!" she says and I fall back to the chair, trying to hide my excitement from Nina and from myself as well, that I am going to see Joseph.

I guess I am completely doomed.

Joseph's POV

"Oh man, this game has to be fucking awesome! Look at those graphics!" Grant effuses over a new video game.

When Matt went to his bedroom to talk in private, Grant decided to show me his favourite Youtuber playing and commenting a new video game. This youtuber is hilarious and I love watching him as well from time to time. We sit on Matt's couch and Grant has the laptop on his lap.

Matt's house is the classic student one. It has four rooms. A bedroom, a bathroom, a small kitchen and a living room. The living room has one gray couch and an armchair in the same colour. There's a coffee table in the middle and all the furniture points to an LCD TV.

"It's fucking cool! Look how he slaughtered the whole gang." I share his enthusiasm, still watching the video.

"Hey, what are you watching?" Matt's voice chimes in from behind.

"The commentary of a new video game!" Grant answers, without looking at him. "How did the phone sex go?" he jokes and I chuckle, while Matt gives him a glare.

"What an asshole! I wonder why I still hang out with you!" Matt exasperates.

"Yeah dude, knock it off! They don't have phone sex, but phone love!" I mock him as well. "It's romantic you know!" I exclaim and Grant bursts out laughing.

"Good Lord, give me strength to put up with those two dicks!" Matt says in despair, looking at the ceiling, like he's actually talking to God. "I knew it was wrong to sit next to you the first day in college." he points his index at me and I laugh.

"No, it was the best decision in your life!" I point out,laughing and Matt eyerolls. "So how's Nina?"

"Good! Actually she's coming over." Matt answers casually.

"What?" Grant barges in and turns his head to Matt. "I thought we were going to have a men's night, like the old times." he complains, takings his eyes off the screen.

"Yeah dude! No offense, I really like Nina, but we haven't been just the three of us, since forever." I complain, as well, because we won't be able to express ourselves the way we want in front of a girl, especially if that girl is Matt's girlfriend.

"Joss is right, man! Not to mention she won't tolerate us for more than 5 minutes." Grant adds.

"That's why she's bringing Alice, as a support." Matt remarks and the moment I was ready to counter, I suddenly pause. Alice is coming here?

"The scary girl is coming here?" Grant asks astonished and both Matt and me look at him with a confused face.

"Why scary?" Matt wonders, crossing his arms.

"Dude, you hadn't seen how she looked at me that night at Claire's bar. That girl can kill with only one glare." Grant makes a scary grimace and me and Matt can't help it, but chortle.

"Stop laughing, you motherfuckers! It's true!" he pouts. "She's like a hot angel of death."

Grant's characterization is so on point! She beated the shit out of me and I haven't still recovered completely.

"That means you're not hitting on her?" Matt raises an eyebrow.

"Since you've ruined our men night, I, at least, deserve that!" Grant protests raising his hand, like he's making a speech about people's rights.

"You've just signed your death sentence." I joke, patting him on the shoulder.

"I think that body and those legs are worth the risk!" Grant winks at me and I eyeroll.

It's one of the few times that Grant is right! I wish I could lose myself in those endless legs, but Alice will never give me the green light. Normally, I would forget about it and move on, but it's not like that with her. The more she resists, the more I can't stop.

After sometime the door phone rings.They are already here. Matt goes to its direction to let them in.

"Remember to behave, man!" I warn him, as I am going to the kitchen to take a glass of water and when I return, I sit at the armchair.

After a couple of minutes, the doorbell rings and Matt goes to open it. A perky Nina storms in hugging Matt tight and then she gives him a peck on the lips. After her, Alice comes in and greets Matt.

She's wearing a black airy skirt with a white sweater and black boots up to the knee. Because of the cold she's wearing a black coat. Her brown hair is in loose curls and she hasn't put on much makeup. She's beautiful without even trying.

"Hey guys!" Nina greets us with a wide smile. "We brought beers, so you can purge us of ruining your men night!" she winks at us and puts a plastic bag with beers in it, on the coffee table.

"That's so sneaky! You girls know that you can easily manipulate us with a bit of this God sent liquid." Grant smirks and takes two beers from the bag. He gives me the one and then he sits back on the sofa. His mood changed in an instant, when he saw the beers. Sly move girls!

"Hey guys!" Alice greets us, putting a plastic bag on the table too.

"Hey Alice!" I greet her, moving my hand in a hi motion, without moving from the armchair.

Alice takes off her coat and Matt shows her where to hang it.

"We'll take the beers to the fridge!" Matt says. "What do you prefer to eat?"

"Pizza!" Grant chimes in.

"I agree!" I exclaim as well.

Matt looks at Alice to get her confirmation. He is such a gentleman.

"Pizza is fine!" she shrugs and sits on the sofa next to Grant,since there's no other place to sit, after taking one beer from the bag that Matt holds,before he and Nina go to the kitchen.

"I don't think we have been formally introduced!" Grant turns his whole body to face Alice.

Here it comes! This is going to be so funny to watch!

Alice looks Grant from head to toe.

"You're the guy, who's setting the field." She points out. "I hope you didn't set any field for tonight and we ruined your plans." She raises an eyebrow and Grant stays frozen.

I try so hard to choke my laughter. Alice doesn't mince words. She will hit with everything she's got.

"Um...eehh... no... you misunderstood...I..." Grant mumbles, trying to get away, but he's scared shitless under Alice's intimidating look.

"Use your own words!" Alice toys him with a simper.

This so much better than I have imagined. It's hilarious watching such a muscular guy like Grant, feel threatened from a small girl like Alice. Not that Alice is small for a woman, but comparing to Grant, she is like a smurf.

"I was just...um... coming to Joss' rescue!" Grant states, between his mumbles.

My eyes open wide when I hear my name, while Alice turns her head to look at me. Then, she returns her glance to Grant.

"So you're his bodyguard!" she concludes. "I think you don't do your job correctly. Someone has beaten the crap out of him!" Alice smirks and there is sarcasm beneath her voice. Grant gulps.

She's playing with us and especially with Grant, who's been completely intimidated by her.

"I don't think I would be much of a help! The guy, who did that must have been on steroids or something. He would have crashed me like a bug, as well." Grant says in a serious voice.

A mischievous smile crosses Alice's face.

"That bad, huh?" she pretends she's wondering about it, but I know she's amusing it.

"Yeah! He's some kind of better now! You should have seen him on the weekend! He was a mess!" Grant emphasizes and I puff.

"Dude, it wasn't that bad!" I chime in,because I don't want Alice to get more bigheaded than she already is.

"It was that bad! And still you haven't told us, how this happened!" Grant states in a loud voice. "I am sure you hitted on somebody's girlfriend,the dude got furious and he made you like Rocky Balboa."

Alice chuckles and I eyeroll.

"So Joseph, single women were not enough for you and you decided to move on to the taken ones?" she raises an eyebrow with an expression full of irony.

Mocking me it's her way to live, but I am not going to let her enjoy it for long.

"I just see a hot chick and I hit on her. Unfortunately they don't have a neon sign saying 'In a relationship'. It's not my fault if a girl doesn't say that she's taken." I decide to join her game and make it more interesting. "The only blame I can take is that I am too attractive, so they can't resist and they have a sudden amnesia over their boyfriend. It's natural! They are not crazy to back off when a guy like me tries to kiss them." I say in an indifferent voice and the same time I want to see any kind of reaction.

I see her posture stiffens, but she keeps her face expressionless.

"I suppose there are exceptions!" she says firmly,giving me an intense look.

"Of course! The blind ones and the girls in denial!" I smirk at her and I observe her hand grab tighter the beer's tin.

"Maybe they know that you're not taking them seriously, so they don't spend their time over you!" Alice shoots at me and for the first time I think I've got something from her. "Also there is another category, which doesn't find you charming or attractive at all, but I don't think this have ever crossed your mind." she adds at the end. She's turning it all upside down again. Is that a kind of defence or something?

"Guys, all your conversations are like that?"Grant interrupts us and we both turn at the same time to look at him.

"Yes!" Alice answers casually.

"Pretty much!" I reply shrugging.

"How about making you a sitcom?" Grant says with a wide smile.

Me and Alice give him a puzzled look, without saying a word.

"Think about it!" he continues exclaiming. "Watching you both is so fucking entertaining! We will make a killing!"

"Man, you need to get laid desperately!" I say, watching him like he's a lunatic.

"All the great ideas had been mocked and doubted at first, but where would have we been if all those big minds had stopped envisioning?" Grant says looking down on me.

"And you're a big mind?" Alice says in a snarky voice.

"Yes doll and my mind isn't the only thing that's big!" Grant winks at her and his unique flirtatious mode is on.

The moment I hear that I try so hard not to laugh. I am ready for Alice's counter attack.

"Yeah? Tell me... how big is that other thing?" Alice speaks in a seductive voice.

Oh this is even better! Alice is properly messing around with him. She baited him and Grant has fallen for it, because his smile is becoming wider and he's going closer to her. It will be huger than I thought.

"I can't really describe you!" Grant tells her,moving closer to her. Alice is moving retreats bit by bit, as Grant is getting closer.

"Please, don't leave me like that!" Alice pleads in such a fake baby's voice.

"It will be better to see it live!"Grant says to her biting his lip, moving again closer to her, as Alice moves a bit back. They are at the couch's edge.

Does he really believe this actually works? Not only on Alice, but on chicks in general? He hasn't learnt anything by my side.

"I would love that!" she replies even more seductively and Grant without being able to hold himself he goes for a kiss.

I am alarmed at first, but Alice had it everything calculated. The moment Grant leaned forward to kiss her, Alice made a manoeuvre and she stood up from the couch, leaving no resistance to Grant's momentum. Grant fell from the edge of the couch on the floor, in such a hilarious posture.

The whole scene was the best thing I've ever seen in my life. The moment Grant fell, I bursted out laughing.

"Stop laughing you jackass and help me!" Grant shouts, but I can't stop.

"Why are you laughing? What did we miss?"Nina comes from the kitchen, with a wide smile pinned on her face with Matt following her.

They were in there for quite some time! It's better not to know what they were doing. I put a reminder in my brain not to go to Matt's kitchen in the near future.

"Grant, are you ok?" Nina asks concerned and goes for his aid. "What happened?" Her face is perplexed, as she's helping him.

The moment Grant is up he's pointing at Alice.

"You tricked me!"

"Sorry, but you had it coming!" Alice answers with a snarky voice.

I am on her side on this. He so had it coming.

"Dude, did you play your bonehead moves on Alice?" Matt exasperates on Grant. "So sorry, Alice. He may haven't evolved like the rest of humanity, but he's a good kid."

"Hey dude!" Grant chimes in with an offended voice and Matt says shh sharply with a glare.

"Don't worry! It was so amusing! Really! Joseph had a good time as well! Look how happy he is!" Alice points her finger to me and I realize that I have a stupid smile on my face, which transforms into hysterics, when I bring Grant's collapse back in my mind.

"I wish I had it on video. Dude, you would so be on Youtube!" I exclaim and he pouts.

"Come on guys, don't be so mean to him!" Nina pats Grant's shoulder.

I know Grant since I was a freshman. We pick on him many times, but he never holds any grudge, so it's just another day at the office for him. He always acts like a drama queen and before we notice he is back to his usual self and then picks on me or Matt. There are no misunderstandings between us. We mock each other in every chance we get.

"Thank you, Nina!" he answers with a coy smile and Nina smiles widely back to him.

"I seriously don't want to know what you said to her!" Matt addresses to Grant with a huff. "Sorry Alice that my friends are douches." Matt apologises for Grant... Wait a minute! Did he say friends? With an S? Plural?

"Why plural? I didn't do anything. I was sitting without talking! He opened his big mouth!" I point to Grant.

"I have to apologise for your previous misbehaviours. You had become the bane of her life" Matt raises an eyebrow and I know he's meaning my whole hate relationship with Alice.

"What are you? My mother?" I shout offended as well. Matt is feeling responsible for anyone.

"No, but the girl must think I am hanging out with homo sapiens." Matt states, narrowing his eyebrows.

"Actually, I am past the thinking part. I am aware that you're hanging out with homo sapiens." Alice chimes in smirking. "But don't worry Matt, I don't misunderstand you. You're a decent guy." Alice praises Matt and he smiles. Nina giggles and gives Alice a warm look.

"Hey, I thought we were getting along." I grumble at her and I see a simper spreading on her face.

"We are, but that doesn't erase the fact that you're a homo sapiens." Alice quips really casually in a sarcastic voice.

The rest start chuckling.

"You say I am the homo sapiens, but you're the one walking around beating people up." I exclaim, raising an eyebrow.

"Wait... Did Alice beat you up?" Grant barges in with a smirk.

"What??? Nooooo! I was just saying!" I try to sound really indifferent.

"Dude, you're so lying! Alice was the one who made you like this! That's why the whole mystery." Grant continues and I curse the time I opened my mouth. Also this time Grant's brain decided to shine?

Alice is so enjoying this. She just sits there shrugging like saying 'You said it'. That girl irritates me! Now! I pass through all the emotional phases with this girl. First I hate her. Then I want to spend time with her, enjoying her company, wanting to know more about her. Other times I want to tease her, because I am amused by her adorable reactions and can't wait to hear her imaginative quips. And others I want to f-. Damn with this woman.

"What did you do again?" Matt commands and his face is like 'I am done with your shit.'

"Why Alice????" Nina high pitches! "Poor Joseph!" she looks at me like I am a lost puppy.

"Ok KNOCK IT OFF!" I shout and silence falls. "It was just an accident!"

"What happened?" Grant anticipates and he looks like a 5 year old waiting to hear a fascinating story.

"Let's stop it! As he said, it was an accident! Now it's done and let's forget it." Alice breaks in and her voice is commanding. Grant falls back.

She defends me and I appreciate that. Though she was mocking me, I laid my bed, so I will say what happened. Anyway those idiots are my friends! They have heard a million embarrassing stories from me.

"Thanks Alice, but since my groupies are so eager to hear another amazing story from my adventurous life, who am I to take that away from them?" I address, beaming at her.

Alice raises an eyebrow and then motions with her hand like saying 'Be my guest.'

"This girl!" I point to Alice. "Might look sweet and delicate, but the truth is she's a lethal weapon."she nods in approval. "I saw her in the park working out and I wanted to surprise her, but she surprised me instead. I have to admit your self defence classes' money wasn't wasted." I turn to say to Alice and she simpers.

"So she tossed you like a bag of potatoes." Grant sneers.

"I dare you to face her. She will be done with you in 30 seconds!" I challenge him.

"Man, I can't fight with a girl. I will crush her. Look at me and look at her!" he counters. Grant is a very muscular guy and very intimidating. His back is wide and his arms are enormous. Not to mention he's way taller than me and I am 6'2''. (1.85cm)

"Don't be a chicken!" Alice provokes him and stands up. Grant looks surprised at her, but in the end he stands up breathing out. Matt and Nina have their eyes pierced on them.

"Ok I will go easy on you, because it's against my beliefs to fight with a-"

Before Grant finishes his sentence, Alice has grabbed him and tossed him on the floor, like he was light as a feather.

Everyone starts laughing hysterically. Alice did it with such an ease. She didn't even try.I have to admit watching her on action was very sexy. As for Grant, he remains frozen on the floor. He's completely astonished. Then, Alice stretches her hand and helps him get up.

"Ooops you just had your ass kicked by a girl!" Alice smirks and she boosts confidence.

As for us, we can't stop laughing. I though Grant's collapse off the couch was the best thing I have ever seen. I was wrong. This is the best thing I've ever seen.

"I admit you're a tough cookie!" Grant acknowledges Alice, patting her on the shoulder. "Remind me to keep a safety distance." he remarks and they both chuckle.

"I wish I had popcorn! It was like watching a movie!"Matt comments.

"Why don't we watch one?" Nina proposes cheerfully.

"Yeah! Let's watch an action movie!I am in mood for guns and explosions." Grant suggests, mimicking guns with his fingers. "It fits with the circumstances too." he winks at Alice and she chortles.

"I approve!" I exclaim, but I don't see Nina so keen on watching something like that.

Crap! If Nina doesn't want to see an action film, there is no way Matt is going to support us. He will be like 'Let's watch something we all like'. Like what? A stupid comedy romance movie? Kill me instead!

"Alice, what do you say?" Nina tries to find support in her friend, because by being a girl and her friend, there is the possibility she will say no to an action movie too.

"I say that I don't want to see an action movie..." Shit! We are going to see crap with a lame song at the credits. Come on Alice, you're better than that! "...if it doesn't have all the kind of guns, cool fighting and a city destroyed!" Alice finishes her sentence, with a smirk and I am astonished as Nina, obviously not for the same reasons.

"I know exactly which movie we are going to see!" Matt exclaims and chooses an action movie from his Netflix account.

After some minutes, the pizzas are here and we sit to eat as we're watching the movie. Grant, Matt and Nina, who has put her legs on Matt's, sit on the sofa, while me and Alice on the floor.

As the movie starts, the corner of my eye catches Alice. She doesn't look at the movie, but at her plate. What is she doing? I observe her better and I see she's putting aside some of the pizza's toppings. She's removing the peppers and the mushrooms. What the fuck? This is a crime! A violation towards the pizza. Thank God she's leaving the ham and the tomato on and obviously the cheese.

"Why are you doing a surgery to the pizza?" I ask in a low voice, since I can't hold myself. She gives me an irritated look, but a slight grin crosses her face.

"Because I don't like peppers and mushrooms!" She answers whispering, in a way like it's pretty obvious.

"Are you kidding me? And what are you eating?" My eyes widen.

"The rest!" she answers, with the same way as before, pointing at the pizza. "What's up with all the stupid questions?"

"Don't mind me! It's the shock!" I reply and I turn my head to watch the movie.

"Do you want my peppers and mushrooms?" She whispers softly. I face her again and she has a loving expression.

"Obviously!" I exclaim and she tosses them in my plate.

The next two hours we kept quiet to watch the movie. From time to time we comment or joke about different things. I have to say what I enjoyed the most, was Alice. She was making comments like 'Kick this asshole's ass' or 'Bring the whole building on his head'. Not to mention, she was bragging about her martial arts skills, by saying she would do it better than some useless characters. I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to the movie, but to her, because she was more entertaining to watch.

When the movie's done, we get ready to leave, because it's pretty late and unfortunately we are having classes first thing in the morning tomorrow.

"Matt, see you tomorrow!" I pat him on the shoulder and he nods. "Goodnight Nina!"

"Goodnight guys!" Nina says with a beam. "Alice, how are you going to return?" Nina asks concerned.

"Don't worry! I will take a cab!" Alice answers casually, as she's putting her coat on.

"That's nonsense! I'll take you!" I say right away. Alice looks at me surprised.

"There's no need!" she answers.

"Don't play hard to get! It's on my way!" I say firmly, putting my jacket on.

"Ok" she puffs.

After saying goodnight to Matt and Nina and then to Grant downstairs, since he came with his own car, I find myself with Alice driving her back to the dorms.

"So are you going to put some music on?" she asks me, pointing at the car's radio.

"Any preference?" I turn my head a bit to look at her with a grin crossing my face.

"Anything that it's not flat."

I turn the radio on to a station, which plays mainstream music. A David Guetta song is on and Alice starts moving her head and patting her hand on her knee to the music's rhythm.

Suddenly a ringtone echoes in the car. It's not mine, since it's not the Muse playing. It's Alice's phone! She has Sia's 'Fire meets gasoline' as a tune. A smile flashes when she sees the caller and the corner of my eye catches the picture of him on her phone. It's the Asian guy from her pictures.

"Hey crazy boy!" She answers, the smile never leaves her face. Unfortunately I can't hear the other side. Damn it! Who is this guy?

"Seriously?" She exclaims on her phone. "Great great!" Then she listens to him carefully repeating yes. At sometime Alice stays silent and shoots a glance at me and then starts speaking in a weird language. What the fuck? What language is this? I keep listening carefully and it hits me! It's Japanese. Why did she suddenly change the language? I am sure she says something that she doesn't want me to understand. My eyes are on the road, but my ear is on her, in case she says my name.

After a while the phone call stops. Alice gazes outside and I tick tock my fingers on the wheel. The curiosity eats me alive about this guy.

"You speak japanese like it's your maternal language." I remark casually looking at the road.

"I used to live in Tokyo as well for a couple of years, but even after I moved I kept visiting it." Alice says, turning her head to look at me.

"You must really love the city!" I say in a sarcastic voice that I can't hide. Alice raises an eyebrow and I know she understood the sarcasm. She's not stupid.

"Yeah it's fantastic! What I loved and I miss the most is walking underneath the sakura, the cherry blossom trees." she says in a nostalgic voice.

"I suppose because you didn't walk by yourself." I reckon in an indifferent voice.

"What do you mean?" Alice asks in an irritated voice.

"The whole scenery screams romance from a long distance!" I admit casually, like it's the logic thing to think and not because it bugs me.

"I am surprised you know the word. If you consider going with someone there, it's has to be with someone special; not with your lame hook ups." She shoots at me.

"Great! I will take Sophie there! I guess it will be the perfect redemption present! She will totally forgive me for hooking up with another girl." I smirk, casting a glance over her.

Alice has stayed jaw dropped. Her cheeks are becoming red and she doesn't know what to say.

"So do you agree?" I look down on her. "You know I don't want to lose Sophie! She's the soulmate I was looking for! She's my best friend and my lover! I swear to you I will respect and cherish her! I will treat her like a queen and not a slave!" I gibe Alice and it's so amusing.

She's rubbing her face nervously.

"I guess she totally ratted me out!" she exclaims.

"Big time!" I reply, chuckling.

"Oh God!" She facepalms and I chuckle even more.

"Don't feel sorry about yourself! You're not the first person, who misunderstood my relationship with Sophie! We grew up together and we are like siblings."

"What irritates me it's that I should have known better." she murmurs.

"Why?"

"Because I have a best friend I grew up with, but truth be told we're not that intimate as you and Sophie." Alice gives me a coy look.

"I admit we don't give off very friendly vibes, but me and Sophie is never going to happen. Not only because she's a lesbian, but also it will be weird and wrong to do something more with her. Like an incenst." I say calmly and Alice nods. "So what about your best friend?" I ask curiously, since it's a rare species people with an opposite sex as best friend.

"He's the one that just called!"she points at her mobile.

What? The Japanese guy is her best friend? It's so lame! I fell in the same trap as Alice did.

"Really?" I emphasize more than I intended.

"Just admit it! You thought that he was my boyfriend or something! That's why you were saying this shit about romance scenery etc." She states, turning her whole body towards me, not minding the seat belt.

"No! I was just teasing you!" I defend myself, because there's no way I am going to admit it.

"Liar!" she mocks me laughing. "Anyway, I met Ren when I was two years old at Tokyo. My dad was partners with his dad and because of that he moved to London as well. We are being separated for the last two years, because he returned to Japan and me to USA." Alice narrates her story about her and her best friend.

She knows him, since they were very little, that's why he was in every picture. I liked that I unlocked another piece of Alice's background! Every time we meet I am eager to know more about her. She's like a mystery,that I want to unravel.

"We reached your destination." I announce, as I am pulling over the car.

"So soon? I didn't realize it how time passed! It was closer than I thought." Alice beams at me.

"No! It was because you were with me!" I beam at her as well.

She casts a glance all over me.

"Your cocky levels are unreachable!"

"I don't deny that! Now, don't deny you love spending time with me!" I smirk, looking intensely into her eyes.

"Wow, that escalated really quickly!" She exclaims and I chortle. "I have to admit that the last time we met, the one that I kicked your ass, it was one of my favorites. I always imagined I would beat you up on purpose, but who would have thought that it would happen by accident?" she simpers, unfastening her seatbelt.

"For your information this" I show my face "makes me look tougher!" I say in a serious voice.

"Because you don't reveal that I was the artist of this masterpiece!" She smirks, crossing her arms. "Too bad your facade is off now!"

"Mystery makes it look even more alluring!" I remark and she chuckles. "The guys won't say anything, especially Grant after what you did to him." I wink at her and she laughs.

"You're unbelievable!" She huffs and her eyes fall on the car's clock. "It's getting late! Goodnight Joseph and thanks for the ride!" Alice says and gets out of the car.

"Goodnight Alice!" I say as well and I watch her, until she enters the building.

I know it's unnecessary, since she can protect herself and she has proven me that, but something inside me wants to keep an eye on her, until she enters the dorms. Then, I return home with a stupid smile pinned on my face.

Α/Ν: Thanks fore reading! Don't forget to comment and vote. Your thoughts are very important to keep us inspired and motivated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

370 45 33
This is the story of Natalie Johnson in her University life. She barely enough experience with love, opposite gender, and physical interaction betwee...
434K 13.9K 30
"Why are you attacking me with air freshner?" Nate questions and coughs. Probably due to the strong floral smell now in the air. "Oh, I don't know...
227K 6.6K 17
When Sydney Sherwood was thirteen, she fell in love. She was utterly enamoured with Carter Pearson - the cute, enigmatic, brilliant fourteen year old...
1.6M 45.6K 69
SEQUEL to THE COACH'S DAUGHTER. Complete. One fateful night changed it all. Since being thrown in each other's worlds, Amelia and Zack have jumped ov...