The Curse

By ljkastermans

Hindsight is 20:20, as they say. But Madeline's vision had never been that great. Blind-sided by the Superna... More

A.N.
Volume One | Prelude:
Volume One | Prologue 1.2
1.1 | In which, she doesn't want to be special
1.2 | In which, she doesn't want to be special
2.1 | In which, she accepts she is special
3.1 | In which, the Alpha is overruled
4.1 | In which, a theory begins to form
4.2 | In which, a theory begins to form
5.1 | In which, two and two make four
5.2 | In which, two and two makes four
6.2 | In which, the plot thickens
7.1 | In which, actions have consequences
7.2 | In which, actions have consequences
8.1 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences
8.2 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences
9.1 | In which, actions still have consequences
9.2 | In which, actions still have consequences
10.1 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences again.
11.1 | In which, answers are given
12.1 | In which, more answers are given
12.2 | In which, more answers are given
13.1 | In which, a Queen is made
14.1 | In which, life carries on
14.2 | In which, life carries on
15.1 | In which, forgiveness is the virtue of a Queen
15.2 | In which, forgiveness is the virtue of a queeN
16.1 | In which, self-sacrifice is the cure for all
16.2 | In which, self-sacrifice is the cure for all
17.1 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
17.2 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
17.3 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
Epilogue | In which, she thinks its over
A.N. | Thank-You
Coming Soon | Migás' Monarch #3
Volume Two | Prologue 1.1

6.1| In which, the plot thickens

1.3K 64 7
By ljkastermans

Jackson Alvarez aka. Madeline's adoptive Father (as played by Ryan Phillippe) ^^

MADELINE

Madeline wasn't familiar with the feeling she was experiencing. It was familiar, almost contentment, but more. She felt more at home, in this strange place, than she had for a very long time. She attributed it to her entire family, and life being in a single place. While she was still uncertain about the conceptual nature of mates, and the direct implacability it had towards destiny, she couldn't deny the feeling Xavier enticed from within her whenever he was around. It was ecstasy, it was familiarity and the feeling of acceptance, regardless of her flaws. She revelled in the small amount of people it bought her, stepping from the house, and taking in the beauty around her.

It was a beautiful day, and although they'd come here to work, she wasn't complaining about their surroundings, even in the slightest. She'd decided she'd need to communicate with townspeople, it would give her a more accurate understanding on how the disease had progressed through the town, and the people. She was sure it had effected everyone in different ways, and she wasn't particularly able to test soil, and water for infertility.

Wandering through the streets nearest to the house, Madeline was quick to recognise a pattern in the behaviours of the townspeople. They acted the part of gracious hosts, smiling, and greeting her from afar, but were unwilling to come within close proximity, as though they were scared of her. Shrinking away into alley ways and shadows, and disappearing from sight. It frustrated her immensely, and while she understood their hesitancy, she hoped they knew she was only there to help.

She knew their fear could be attributed to any number of things, the daunting nature of what they perceived as a human, suggested by the Faerie council would be the epitome of the reasons, she was sure of it. Sighing, she continued through the town, attempting to shake the feeling of rejection.

Xavier had explained some more to her, about her link to the pack through him. As he was their leader, inherently so was she. It made sense that their rejection was effecting her in such a way, and it spurred endless thoughts in her. Surely, the pack would react positively to an outside force to accompany their leader? She was fertile after all, something their pack was relentlessly seeking, unless Xavier hadn't shared their status to his pack. Her thoughts troubled her more than she cared to admit, but she shook them off, refusing to be distracted by the pain they caused.

She supposed, at this stage finding someone in the town was aimless, but she harboured a cautious optimism. As she walked, she noticed the little lanes between houses were decoratively covered in images, and foliage. Each picture told a story, and from what she could piece together, each and every image linked to the one next to, showing the link between the pack.

She weaved through the streets, following the story. A pack, rising from the ashes defeat, growing in their solidarity on their way towards peace. It was a gorgeous story, and one that was portrayed accurately in every way.

Madeline found herself stumbling to an abrupt stop, as the noises around her returned. She'd made her way into a market place of some sort, people shouted at one another, offering barter for products they required, while others simply gave to those in need. She revelled in the camaraderie the scene enticed, she was learning piece by piece, what Richard meant when he said 'pack comes first', everyone here was family, and friend. Despite their yelling, their eyes glinted with a smile, no anger or malice lacing their words, they were exalted, and happy to be interacting with one another.

She continued, enjoying every moment, a stall catching her eye. Spinning on the spot Madeline noticed a young girl tried to hide as their eyes locked, hers opening wide in surprise before running off into the crowd. She simply shook her head, attributing the flighty nature of the girl to her fear, before continuing to a stall of charms, and incense. She spoke briefly to the women handling the store, noticing the young girl popping her head from the crowd every few seconds. Bartering with the women, she left the stall with a gorgeous charm, similar to the YinYan symbol. It was simple, and exquisite, an interaction between light and dark, and the feeling it invoked within her led Madeline to believe it could have been destined for her, maybe.

As Madeline walked through the crowd, new artwork adorning her neck, the people seemed to open more to her presence. She made small talk with a few, mentioning the infertility. It was as though as soon as they'd become aware that she knew more than they thought, they were willing to open up, and share their experiences. Within an hour of her visit to the market, Madeline had managed to get five men and women to agree to their blood being drawn. She couldn't help the pride she felt within herself, she'd successfully managed to know the people, completing the first task she'd set for herself.

She'd have to organise a time for the samples to be drawn before the team left, after being here for a few days without success, the team were being flown home for rest and recovery to be replaced by another group. Madeline was staying, as team leader, and local liaison. She didn't mind the lack of company, this place felt more welcoming than anyone on the team ever had.

As Madeline left the market, she immediately became disoriented by the twists and turns of the lanes between buildings. She turned on the spot, letting out a sound of discontent, before nothing the young girl, still following her. She watched as the girl looked around, ensuring they were alone, she put a finger to her lips indicating Madeline should remain quiet, before waving at her to follow.

She hastened behind the girl, struggling o keep up with the movements she was making, before turning a corner, a red-door left wide-open and the girl no where in sight. Swallowing her fear, Madeline slowly walked towards the door, pushing it slightly jumping at the loud creak emanating from the wood.

"Hello?" She directed into the open space, hearing her own voice echo back. She could hear the caution in her own tone, and the concern. Stepping over the threshold into the dimly lit hallway, she jumped, spinning on her heel as the door shut behind her. She met the gaze of the young girl, who put her finger back to her lips,

"You're not going to hurt me, are you?" She whispered, and the girl smiled in response, shaking her head, before grabbing her hand and dragging her into the other room, where a lady sat cup of tea in hand, eyes kind.

She gestured for Madeline to take a seat opposite her, offering her a drink of her own. Madeline waited perched on the edge of the seat, body rife with caution.

"I knew your mother", the women whispered towards her, still smiling. Snapping her head back from wandering the room, she trained her eyes on the womens face. As of yet, not many people had acknowledged her mother existed, even in the presence of the Neaera's. She knew she resembled her, that's how the Neaera's fully recognised her after all.

She reached for a tea-cup on the table, before having her hand roughly slapped away.

"No, no dear. Not this one, this one is not destined for you," she whispered, a mournful look on her face, "It'll burn your insides you see," she mumbled, as Madeline watched in concern, and confusion.

"It's not natural, no, no," the women continued speaking and Madeline was speechless. Was she talking about the issue with the town? The way that it had somehow jumped into the water system with no-one knowing? It that's what she meant, then Madeline really didn't want her insides burned.

"Do you mean, the water from the town?" She asked slowly, she didn't want to spook the old women, she was the most open person she'd met so far, even if what she said didn't make much sense. The women nodded blankly before turning her eyes away from Madeline.

"Safety isn't a priority here. Pack wouldn't betray, Pack isn't a suspect. You aren't safe" she mumbled lowly, and Madeline noticed tears at the corner of the womens eyes. If she wasn't mistaken, the women was telling her that someone from the pack had betrayed them, she instantly knew who she thought it would be,

"Pack killed her." She whispered as the tears began dropping from her eyes, "Thats why I was sent away, I wasn't pack, and pack wouldn't betray". She wiped them away with her hand before sighing and smiling. Turning back to Madeline she grinned again,

"I knew your mother you know?" Madeline smiled lightly back at the women before nodding,

"Yes, I know," she said before nodding back at the women sadly, she didn't seem to be aware of her rambling, as she mumbled between proper sentences.

The womens facial expression changed before she dropped her cup and grabbed Madeline wrist, Madeline noticed her eyes seemed to glow as the women wafted off power stronger than anything Madeline had ever felt,

"Born from the soul-bond between Veritas and Neaera,

Descendant of the Wolf and Fae,

Power is given to the only child,

So she may revolt against those cruel and vile,

Control of love, of death, and pain

Reborn is the Monarchy so peace may reign"

Madeline could only stare at the women as she finished and slumped back on her seat. She'd never heard that part of the rhyme and doubted that anyone she spoke to would have either. The women had seemed possessed, and Madeline shivered and she stood suddenly,

"I'm going to get help!" She exclaimed before bursting out the door, navigating her way through the streets she started as she ran straight into Xavier,

"I need your help!" She yelled at him, watching as he winced at her tone, she spun on her heel and ran back the way she came. She wasn't sure how she could tell what way that was but felt his presence behind her.

Finding the red door, she slammed straight in and into the lounge before kneeling before the women, she checked and found her pulse was extremely weak before turning to Xavier,

"Help her," she whispered, pleading with him,

"Madeline," he started cautiously, "She shouldn't be here, she was exiled years ago for murder," he trailed off before walking to wards her and pulling her back from the women.

"Xavier, I was led here by a young girl. She didn't look afraid?" She exclaimed, feeling as though he was blaming her for the womens presences. Flinching when the womens eyes open, lips moving fast,

"I didn't do it," she mumbled looking Xavier in the eye. She'd quickly learnt it took immense effort to look into the eye of an Alpha, and lie. That alone left Xavier looking at her quizzically,

"Who exiled you Mrs Matthews," he asked gently as Madeline gasped, she had to be Arthurs mother. It somehow made sense, maybe that's who she was trying to warn her about? After all, if he told his mother the intricacies of his plans, who was going to believe her. An exile?

"Arthur and Elder McKenzie," she mumbled again before shaking her head, "I didn't do it, he did it Xavier, she isn't safe, I didn't do it," the women began repeating the same things over and over again, before her voice trailed off and her entire body went slack.

She felt tears in her eyes and realised the women had passed away. She didn't understand, and looked at Xavier in confusion. He sighed before looking around the room, as his gaze landed on the teapot. Lifting it and taking the lid off he gasped as he sniffed what was in it,

"Did you drink any of this," he asked angrily looking towards her. Madeline was even more confused, simply shaking her head at him,

"She wouldn't let me," she explained, glancing at the women again, "Why?" He sighed before answering her and she knew she wouldn't like what he was going to say by the look on his face.

"It was poisoned Madeline, someone brought her back, and poisoned her."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

501K 13.4K 42
The fate of a not so human king and a definitely human girl became entangled in a single meeting. A teenage girl from the 21st century somehow ended...
1.9K 173 52
This is book two of the series. The Fate of The Luna is the first book. This is not a stand alone book. You will need to read book one. The same warn...
1.2K 39 36
"My name is Kate Muir, and this is the story of how I die... " With these words, our hero begins the telling of her story. After her mother's death...
549 11 108
To Sloane, she was a human girl who was cursed by the heavens. Death to her loved ones always seemed to follow her despite how innocent or antisocial...