Out of the Darkness

By tufano79

Edward Cullen is a fallen angel, living among humans. He's dark, snarky, tattooed and a total badass. However... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six

Epilogue

1.1K 43 14
By tufano79

Disclaimer: None of this is mine, nor will it ever be (sigh). I like to play with the characters that Stephenie Meyers created and make them do pervy things or become angels with a bad attitude.

The epilogue for Out of the Darkness ... This has been so much fun to write. I want to thank a few people. Thank you to Bridget for being my beta for the first few chapters. She read the story and made it worthy for Fandom for Mental Health compilation. Also, thank you to Clo for her beautiful work with the banner and manips. Also, Marie Whittfield created some manips as well. Thank you to you both. Your graphic design expertise is beyond anything I've ever imagined. Finally, thank you to everyone who read this and stuck with me, even when you wanted to throw sharp objects at me when I killed Bella.

But, as you soon will see, Angelward and his own personal angel, Bella, will get their happily ever after.

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Epilogue

EPOV

Thirty Years Later

"Race you back to the castle," Bella giggled as she spread her wings, making her look so unbelievably beautiful.

"You never win, pretty Bella," I teased. "I'm faster than you." We were leaving from our monthly meeting with the arch angels. We'd occasionally race, but sometimes we'd find a cloud to christen. Suffice it to say, we were insatiable for each other, but we always made love and I showered her with my affection, as she did to me, too.

And making love on a cloud is ... heavenly.

Yes, that was cheesy, but funny, right? Get it? GET IT? Anyhow, I'm losing focus. My mate, my wife is talking.

"We'll see," she snickered, spreading her wings wider and walking to the edge of the all-white, open-aired space. "Come on, baby! I want to beat you. Just one time. ONCE!"

"Oh, you're on, Mrs. Cullen," I laughed as I followed her. Her laughter filtered up to me as she was in a free fall from heaven. Her wings were tucked in and she rode the currents like a pro. I was on her heels when I felt something hold me back. "No fair, Isabella. Using your shield?"

"I said I want to win," she snickered, shooting me a look and spreading her shield so I couldn't even touch her. I growled, trying to go around it, but she kept spreading it with a mischievous chuckle.

"So, you resort to cheating?" I teased. Bella turned, abruptly stopping and hovered in front of me, using her wings gracefully. "Bella?"

"It's not cheating," she said, her hands on her hips, a twinkle in her eyes. "I'm using my resources."

"Really?" I deadpanned. She winked and stuck out her tongue before using her shield to push me back as she dive bombed through the sky. I followed her, determined to at least catch up with her. We danced among the clouds like an angelic game of cat and mouse. However, as we got closer, I felt the call in my chest. Bella's shield dropped and I knew she felt it, too. Our game came to an end and we made our way back to the castle. Landing softly in the courtyard, we saw Esme. She was wringing her hands, her face clearly distressed. "What is it?"

"It's Colton," she whispered.

"Is he going to be changed?" Bella asked.

"Sooner than we anticipated," Esme replied. "Alice contacted me. She was working in Oklahoma, guiding her humans when she felt the impact. He was in a terrible car accident. A drunk driver hit his car and it's a mess. From her garbled message, she said something about Colton being internally decapitated?"

"Oh, shit," I hissed. "His transformation ... it might not take. Those are serious injuries."

"We'll need all of our powers," Esme said. "Charlie is already there with Maria. I've reached out to Gabriel."

"Fly or fly?" Bella asked.

"We can make better time if we use our wings," I answered. "We can ride the currents and get to Texas by their nightfall."

Bella and I ducked into our safe and picked out some identification. According to the passport I'd chosen, I was Anthony Masen and Bella was my wife, Marie. We also grabbed some American currency and credit cards under the same names. Alec, who had since closed up his tattoo shop, now worked in brokering various identities for angels who remained on the planet. It was a booming business with the restructuring of the legion.

In Scotland, Bella and I were still Edward and Bella Cullen. We used our powers to age ourselves, looking thirty years older. Every so often, I'd go into town, appearing younger, acting as my own son, Ethan. Bella changed her appearance and would go with me, acting like my girlfriend, Claire. It was weird ... like we were cheating on each other. With each other.

That didn't make any sense, but it did in the same respect.

"We ready?" I asked. Our wings unfurled and with a nod, we all took off. The flight to Texas was tiring. We had to tackle headwinds, which were brutal and unexpected. We made it, thankfully. We landed in the middle of a field and Charlie pulled up in a pickup truck.

"This thing is huge, Dad," Bella quipped, looking at the massive Ford truck. "Planning on hauling a tank?"

"This is Alice's. I couldn't pick you guys up in the middle of a field in the police cruiser," he snickered. "Anyway, she's at the hospital with Colton's family. They've been 'dating' for the past few years and became close to the parents along with Colton. She's also going by Cynthia. I'm her uncle and a local police officer and you two are her closest friends from childhood."

"Got it," Bella said as we clambered into the car.

"What's Esme's role?" I asked.

"Simple, she's Alice's mother," Charlie nodded. He drove us to the hospital, parking next to another massive truck. We went inside. Alice took off when she saw us and into Esme's arms. She comforted Alice while Charlie guided us closer to our shattered sister. Alice's mind hit me like a ton of bricks.

They're taking him off life support. His injuries were too severe. Will he? Can we? She sobbed. Esme's thoughts barreled through my brain and it would work, but it would be a long, painful transformation. Usually, it took three to four days for a human to transform into an angel. With Colton's injuries, it would take closer to a week.

An older couple walked out, their faces shattered. Charlie introduced us to Colton's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Parsons. Esme hugged them both tightly while Bella comforted a distraught Alice. The doctor stepped out and I immediately recognized him. Hey, Seth, I thought to him.

They're going to cremate him. Suffice it to say, we're going to put another body in the casket while you work your magic in transforming him, Seth thought to me. "Mr. and Mrs. Parsons, please, come with me. I need to know what funeral home you want Colton's body delivered to. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss."

We waited until Colton's body was taken from the room and down to the morgue. Charlie and I snuck in there, acting like orderlies, taking him and flying away with his body. We arrived at Alice's home, which would have to be sold, and met up with several other Dominion Lordships. Gabriel was there, as well. We waited until Alice, Bella and Esme arrived. When they did, I began the chant to revive and repair Colton. Holding my hand over his chest, I restarted his heart. Gabriel's hands were at his head, repairing the internal injuries from his decapitation.

Colton took a deep breath, his eyes flying open. They were a unique shade of turquoise, but the damage from his head injurie apparent with the amount of blood in the whites of his eyes. His body was tanned, but bruised from the accident and extremely muscular. I looked at him. "Do you know where you are?" I asked as everyone continued to heal him.

Cynthia's home, he answered mentally. He thought and latent memories swirled. No, my Alice ...

"You're remembering," I said. "Colton, do you want this? Do you want to be joined with your mate? Forever? Always?"

Yes, he cried. I have to make amends, as well. To you. To Bella.

"Then, rest. We'll be here for you," I smiled, nodding to Alice. She raced to his side and took his hand, kissing his sallow cheeks. We remained at Alice's house, only leaving for Colton's funeral and memorial service. Colton's transformation was slow, almost excruciating. He cried out when his wings pushed through his back. And again when his broken neck was snapped into place; it was the most gruesome sound we'd ever heard. It was almost as frightening as hearing Bella's heart stop.

A week later, Colton woke up from his transformation. His wings were a stunning silver color. He sat up, looking at his hands, his feet, his body and he checked that they all worked. He hopped off the bed and walked to a mirror, staring at his new face. His mind was recalling his past as Jasper, his human memories as Colton and what the transformation meant for the future. Turning, he saw Alice and his face quirked up into a familiar lopsided grin. Alice threw herself into his arms. He held her, his wings sliding around them both. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

"Don't apologize," she choked out. "It wasn't your fault."

"The car accident? Yes, I know that," he chuckled, kissing her neck. "Some idiot was too drunk to call a cab." He took her face, brushing his lips against hers. "I love you, Alice. I'm sorry that ... that my hatred and rage separated us for so long." He blinked to me, his eyes repentant and somewhat shocked. "You're a Dominion."

"I was promoted when Carlisle sacrificed himself," I answered. "You've missed a lot, my friend."

"I have, but first, I want to apologize to you and to your mate. My bias and my inability to see past my own history made God decide to recycle me. I understand why and the punishment was deserved," Colton explained.

"You're apologizing for Jasper's decisions. Not yours, Colton," I said.

"But, I hold Jasper's memories," Colton argued. "When the transformation began, his memories began to resurface in my mind. I remembered how much I loved Cynthia ... Alice ... I remembered how much I despised you over something you had no control over. You were tricked by Lucifer. You tried to make it right and that was the main reason why you were not recycled, but exiled. I'm sorry for causing you pain. I'm sorry for making your life difficult while you were trying to help your mate." He blinked over to Bella. "And my hatred of your mate caused danger to you, Bella. I'm so sorry."

"Again, you were apologizing for Jasper's actions," Bella said softly, walking over to him and taking his hand. "Yes, you hold his memories and his soul, but you are your own man, Colton. Do you love Alice?"

"With everything in me," he whispered.

"Are you ready to join the legion after time to train and to grieve your human life?" she asked, smiling gently.

"Wait, I can't see my family?" he asked.

"Colton, you died. We had your funeral three days ago and your 'body' was cremated," Charlie answered.

"Whoa, you're an angel?" Colton gasped, his eyes wide as he looked at Charlie. "I ... I never knew."

"I'm like Edward, like Bella. I'm a Dominion Lordship. I stayed nearby, acting as a police officer at Alice's request," Charlie answered. "I was transformed, rapidly, when I was reunited with my daughter, Bella. This is my human body from that time as I was recycled shortly making love to Bella's mother."

"Total head rush," Colton laughed humorlessly. He shook his head, confused and overwhelmed.

"I know it's a lot to take in. We would like to invite you and Alice to join us in Scotland," Bella said, taking his hand and rubbing his back. "You can come to grips with the changes in your life and acclimate as an angel. You have Jasper's memories, but they're significantly different from yours. You have your own life experiences to call upon."

Colton nodded, running his hand through his short brown hair. "You're right. It's like my brain is trying to fight itself. On one hand, I remember everything from my childhood, my relationship with Cynthia and what I studied in college. I also remember Jasper's history. His time in the military and in that concentration camp. I remember when I first met Alice and how much I loved her from the moment I saw her."

"The blending of your mind will come," Esme said softly. "You carry Jasper's soul, but you're still Colton."

"Well, for the flight home, he's Oliver Masen. Edward's cousin. You're going through a bit of an identity crisis," Bella snorted. "Sorry, Colton. We have a front to maintain. So, you're my mate's cousin since you look similar."

"Not a big deal," Colton shrugged. He rubbed his belly. "I'm starved."

"Come on, love. I'll fix you something," Alice said, taking his hand. "You will only be hungry if you've been injured or used your healing powers."

"I remember that," he snickered. "I want a whole fucking cow."

"YES! Another person who curses!" I laughed, pumping a fist.

"I curse," Bella smirked.

"Only when we ..." I began. Bella's eyes narrowed. I just gave her a crooked grin. Only when we fuck, baby. I miss you. I love you.

I love you more, my dirty man, she thought back her mind whirling of how much she wanted me. "And Charlie curses, too."

"Just to blend in with the boys," Charlie snickered. "And when are we leaving?"

"As soon as possible," Esme answered. "I see Mr. and Mrs. Parsons coming in the next couple of days to check on Alice. We need to be gone by then. Alice, my dear, you need to stay, close up your house and settle your human affairs. When you're done, in about a week, you can join us in Scotland."

"Okay," she nodded, a little disgruntled about being separated from her mate. "I also need to pass off my humans to other angels while I'm there for Colton's training. A week, you say?" Esme nodded. "I can handle that. Edward and Bella are amazing at training new angels. Very patient and their estate is well-hidden. Plus, they are the liaisons for the legion on earth. They can help you acclimate to your new body, your new life. I hate to be away from you ..."

"It's okay, Alice," Colton replied, his arms sliding around her waist. "I get it. Besides, it'll give me time to make my own amends to both of them."

"Forgiven and forgotten, Colton," Bella said. "You just love Alice and we'll be golden."

We stayed in Texas for another two days before we left with Colton, flying back to Edinburgh. Once we landed, Esme went off to check on her own mate, leaving Bella and I to help Colton get comfortable in the castle. "How long have you lived here?" he asked.

"It was gifted to me about thirty years ago, shortly after Bella was changed," I answered as we walked to a rental car kiosk. "Carlisle, the Dominion who held my position prior to me, had left it to me in his 'will,' I guess. We were not on the best of terms, but he loved me like a son, sacrificing himself to save the life of my mate."

"I was shot by an arrow from one of Lucifer's minions. Ironically enough, it was my old boss and landlady," Bella deadpanned. "I saved Edward. If he had been shot, he would have died."

"You did die," I argued, remember that moment so vividly, making my heart lurch. Her hand found mind and threaded our fingers together. "Anyway, a lot has changed."

"A more prominent presence on the planet with two Dominion Lordships down here?" Colton asked. Bella nodded. "Why?"

"Because of what happened to me," Bella answered. "I was lost through the cracks and it could have been avoided. So, there was a huge restructuring. Edward and I stay here, coordinating the earth-bound angels, training new ones and even having our own humans to care for, but they are more local. So far, it's been good. Faith in humanity has been restored and from what we've felt, Lucifer is still banished to Hell and will stay there for a long time."

We spent a few days going over new procedures and re-teaching Colton how to fly. Jasper was one of the fastest in the legion, but Colton carried with him a fear of heights. Trying to get him to relax and enjoy the feeling of the wind in his face and the currents under his wings was half the battle. Bella was more coaxing where I was a little bit firmer. Our bodies were different. The only thing that could hurt us was an arrow from Lucifer's minions. Not falling from the sky, which was a statistical impossibility.

But, I was determined to get Colton up in the air and not quaking in his jeans. It's inherent to all angels. He just needs to bridge that gap from his human life and mind to the life of an angel, with everyone by his side.

xx OOTD xx

BPOV

It had been a year since Colton joined us. He and Alice stayed close by in Scotland and not returning to the States, living in Inverness. Colton, thankfully, got over his fear of heights. It only took Edward and Colton racing home from their first trip up to heaven. Edward played on Colton's competitive side, who had played football and baseball all throughout high school and college. He hated to lose. So, it was on, along with the shit-talking. Alice was, of course, rooting for her mate. I was cheering for Edward. Felix was on my side, too. Edward beat Colton by a nose, but in the long run, it was our newest member of the legion who'd won.

He was able to fly with the rest of us without having a panic attack.

Things were going well. The new system that the arch angels had devised with the older Dominion Lordships was working. Lucifer had not even made an effort to resurface. The world was too powerful, too good. There was less of a need of acquiring wealth and status, less hatred, less anger. It was all about helping each other.

You know, Star Trek and the utopia that Gene Roddenberry created? Working for the betterment of yourself? That was now the drive of humanity. With that, the world was a better place. There were more inventions, more creativity, more music, more art, more life. It made everything so much ... for lack of a better term ... more. In all the time angels had been in existence, humanity was never this good. It only took one generation for the changes to begin and even now, the changes are becoming even better.

The first manned trip to Mars was scheduled in a year, with the hopes of creating a colony on the Red Planet. The trip was using an experimental drive and we may be able to leave our own solar system within twenty or so years, traveling to the next closest earth-like planet twelve light years away.

"Pretty Bella," Edward cooed, sitting down next to me on the couch, breaking my reverie. He lifted my feet onto his lap, massaging my arches. "I got a message from Esme. She wants us to come to England."

"Are we going to meet Thomas?" I asked, closing my book and smiling brightly. "She's been hogging him all to herself."

Edward nodded, his fingers threading with mine. "I made arrangements for Charlie to stay here at the castle while we spend some time in London," he replied. "We're entitled a vacation, hmmm? First one in almost thirty years, pretty girl."

"Are we going as Edward and Bella or Ethan and Claire?" I asked.

"Edward and Bella," he answered. "When Thomas sees us, he will probably recognize us from Carlisle's latent memories."

"What does he do?"

"I think Thomas is a doctor," Edward answered. "Some surgeon or something. Anyway, Esme's anxious, but excited to introduce to her mate to us. Technically, we know his soul, but Thomas is different."

"Just like Colton is different than Jasper," I offered. "I see a lot of Jasper in Colton's mannerisms, but he's snarky, kind and determined never to hurt us, learning from his mistakes. Plus? His gift?"

"I never knew an angel to have a gift like that," Edward said. "An empath?"

"It's very helpful in reading the humans we care for," I smiled.

"It pulled on his strengths as a human. He was a therapist, went to school for years and had just opened his practice when he was in the car accident," Edward frowned. "It's a damned shame. I'm happy Colton is with us, very happy. But, he was robbed of his future."

"Do you see your life that way?" I asked, my brow furrowing. "Were you robbed?"

"I welcomed death," he shrugged. "I felt lost, nothing, when my wife and child died. But, Alice saw something in me and it gave me the strength to become an angel. Do you feel robbed?"

"Definitely not," I murmured. "As a human, I was stuck. I wanted a family and I couldn't have one because of what happened to me. I loved my job, but in the same respect I resented the parents who were able to have children only to neglect them. Now? I have this huge family. I'm mated, and married, to the man I love so much. I have a relationship with my father, who I now know loves me very much. I have a surrogate mother in Esme and a sister in Alice. I'm blessed, Edward, in a way that I never thought possible. I'm able to help people on a grander scale. I've healed people, guided people and done something with the gifts I'd be so graciously given."

Edward pulled me to him and he kissed me deeply. I melted into his arms, my fingers tangling into his messy bronze locks. Our tongues tangled and I was pressed into the couch, lost to his touch. Reverently, he removed my clothing and I did the same to him. We came together with a soft breath, joining our bodies and souls. I heard his mind. The love he felt for me was overwhelming and I couldn't agree more. He was my best friend, soul mate, lover and protector. We could laugh, cry and everything in between. But, sharing myself with him, the only man I'd ever willingly gave myself to, was the most important thing. Coming together, with whispered promises of love, we curled up on the couch and he lazily ran his fingers over my back. I shuddered, causing my wings to unfurl. Edward sighed happily.

"What, baby?" I asked, looking at him and wriggling my body over his. We were still joined.

"Seeing your wings is a reminder that I get to keep you. Forever," he whispered, his fingers gliding down the ridge of my blindingly white wings. "I never have to worry about you growing old. We will get to spend our lives together. And hearing you talk about ... My love for you ... You're everything to me, Bella. I love you. I have loved you from the moment I saw you. I will love you until the last star dies."

"As I love you," I sniffled, his beautiful words making me want him again, but we both felt a call. With a sigh, we got dressed and focused our thoughts on where we were needed. Edward took my hand, caressing my knuckles with his thumb. "We will continue this, baby."

"I know. We have forever," he snickered, kissing me.

We flew off and helped a few of our angels in need of assistance in Montreal. Now, while the world was a better place, there were still moments of violence, crime. It wasn't as widespread as before, or as brutal, but it still happened. A number of our angels had humans that were caught in a bank robbery. One of the angel's wings had blocked a bullet and we needed to wipe their memories using Seth's gift, plus heal a handful of the humans inside. Seth quickly got to work, clearing the thoughts of the witnesses while Edward and I healed the injured humans. A blonde woman was one of the last and she blinked slowly, her heart stammering. Seth stared at her, his own mind reeling. "What's your name?" Seth asked.

"Felicity," she whispered. "Do I know you? You look familiar. Have we met before?"

Edward stopped and looked at Felicity. However, it was me that had my attention piqued. I walked over to him. Seth was still staring at her, holding her hand, his thumb gently caressing her knuckles. I touched her shoulder. "Felicity?"

She slid her eyes to mine and I recognized the ice-blue gaze immediately. "Bella," she breathed. She blinked a few more times before throwing her arms around my neck. "You're okay. Oh, thank God. I was afraid that ..."

I chuckled, hugging her back, recognizing the reincarnation of Emmett in this stunning woman's body. "Everything is as it should be, Felicity. Thanks to you and to your protection," I smiled. "And it appears you've met your mate, sweetie."

"M-M-Mate?" Felicity asked, her eyes wide.

"Can I tell her, Bella?" Seth asked. I nodded, but told him to do it in her home, away from prying eyes and listening ears. We'd check with Esme to see if there would be any repercussions of him divulging our secret to the one who shared his soul. "What about ...?"

"We'll handle it," Edward replied. Seth smiled tentatively and guided Felicity out the rear of the bank. We managed to contain the angelic exposure, save the innocents and ensure that the criminals were caught, leaving a couple hours after we felt that initial call. Seth was still talking with Felicity and their bond was growing. It warmed my heart knowing that Seth, who had been transformed at the Battle of Yorktown, finally had found his mate.

xx OOTD xx

A week had passed and we finally were able to go on our 'vacation' to visit Esme. Seth and Felicity were dating and discussing the option of her being a part of the legion, but she wasn't ready to give up her human life as a preschool teacher. She loved her kids and didn't want to walk away. Not yet.

Edward and I stayed in hotel near Thomas and Esme's flat. Esme had offered the spare bedroom, but we didn't want to encroach on their time together. Also, if we had to leave, in the case of an emergency, we'd be able to do so easily from the hotel. Thomas, as far as we knew, wasn't told about Esme's angelic powers. I was surprised at that. Thomas and Esme shared a bond, a love that transcended time with Thomas. He must have had some memories of her buried within his mind.

After we'd gotten settled in our hotel, we changed and walked to Thomas's flat. Edward was carrying a bottle of some wine while I held a bouquet of flowers. Arriving at the gate, Esme greeted us with a warm smile. She looked softer, happier. "I've missed you both," she whispered, hugging us.

"We've missed you, too," I smiled, returning her embrace and handing her the flowers. "You look so happy."

"I am," she beamed. "Come ... Thomas is inside. He's attempting to cook. He can perform complex surgery, but the man can burn water." She turned on her heel and scurried up the steps.

Edward slid his eyes to me. Is she hiding her thoughts? He asked mentally.

I nodded, concerned for her. She's reciting the bible in ancient Greek mentally. Something is up, Edward. He agreed and we went inside. We heard laughter, following that and found Esme and Thomas in the kitchen. Thomas was tall, slightly muscular with pale skin, chestnut colored hair and warm hazel eyes. He turned to us, a beaming smile spreading over his face. "Hello," he said, his accent thick and voice deep. "You must be Edward and Bella. I'm Dr. Thomas Jameson." He held out his hand, shaking my hand first and then reaching for Edward. "Esme's told me so much about her niece and nephew."

Say what? I thought to Edward.

"And we've heard a lot about you, too, Thomas," Edward smiled, but his mind was reeling as much as mine was. "A surgeon, right?"

"Yes. Right now, I'm a general surgeon, but I'm working on becoming a cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon," he answered. "Do want me to open up the wine you've brought? It's an excellent vintage."

"Does it go with what we're eating?" I asked.

"Definitely," Esme answered, shooting me a warm smile. I'll explain everything. After dinner. After Thomas is asleep. I hear your concern. I arched a brow, nodding that I'd heard her. She gently kicked Thomas out of the kitchen before he set fire to anything. He took Edward to the study while Esme and I worked on finish the meal, a spicy curry dish Thomas was dying to try. While we worked, Esme asked about Alice and Colton, Charlie and details about Seth and Felicity. When the meal was ready, we sat down in the dining room and Thomas was telling us about the weird foreign objects that he'd find while performing surgeries.

I didn't even want to know why there was a plastic army man in some guys stomach, so I just smiled and nodded. Thomas was hysterical, but in that self-deprecating, dry British way, but his personality and mannerisms were not familiar. He and Edward got along famously, but he sensed something was off during the entire meal. We had dessert and some tea before Thomas had to go to bed. Originally, he had the weekend off, but being the low man on the totem pole, he had to fill in for a sick colleague, much to his chagrin. Edward and I left, but Esme said she'd meet us at our hotel once he was asleep.

An hour later, Edward and I were lounging on the bed. We'd had a very naughty quickie against the door and were reveling in post-coital bliss. There was a quiet knock on the door and Edward got up to answer it. Esme walked in and she hugged him tightly. I got up, embracing her as well. "It's so good to see you both," she said. "Did you like him? Thomas?"

"He's wonderful and very much in love with you," Edward said. "He spoke to me, asking for your hand, since I'm the only family you have." He arched a brow. "What's going on, Esme?"

She sighed, sitting down on the couch and idly twisting her watch. "Thomas has Carlisle's soul, but something happened. We recognize each other, but not as Carlisle and Esme. Carlisle's memories are buried so deep, I can't access them. He doesn't remember anything about his past. Usually when a soul is recycled, when they come in contact with someone from their past, those memories come racing back, especially when the soul that was recycled was a Dominion, like Carlisle."

"Yeah, Colton didn't remember his past until he became an angel," I murmured.

"That's because he was an angel, never a Dominion," Esme clarified.

"What about Seth and Felicity?" I asked. "Felicity was once Emmett, and he was human under the control of Lucifer."

"An anomaly?" Esme suggested. "Probably because of the traumatic way she died, it was seared into her memory and seeing Seth, Edward and you? She connected the dots immediately." Folding her hands, she sighed. "I've been an angel for over three thousand years. I met Carlisle a hundred years after I was turned. We immediately were connected as mates. We were by each other's sides for almost all of my time as an angel, and as a Dominion. Thomas, he doesn't remember that. I also looked into our future and I don't see him connecting the dots as an angel, either."

"You want a human life," Edward whispered.

"I want to spend a natural, human life with my mate," she replied. "I want to have children with him. I want to grow old with him and die with him. It's selfish, but I'm tired. I've missed my mate. Not being able to share all of me is killing me."

"When you become human, you won't remember us," Edward said, his brows furrowed. "Your mind won't comprehend ..."

"I know," she nodded. "I love you both so much. You are like my children and I hate that I'm walking away."

"We love you, too, Esme," I sniffled, hugging her. She cried quietly, wiping my tears away. "When?"

"You said that Thomas wants to propose?" she asked, blinking over to Edward. My mate nodded. "After the wedding. I want you both to be there for me. Then, we can transform me back into a human."

"You won't lose your memories with Thomas?" I asked.

"No," Esme shook her head. "I'll remember my time with Thomas, but the capacity of my brain will lessen, so the memories of my time with the legion will disappear." She took our hands and she opened her mind. She showed us some upcoming events, including a mate for Charlie. I smiled at that, happy that my father would have someone to share his life with for all eternity. "I'm going to head back."

"Let me get you a taxi," Edward said.

"Edward, I'm still a Dominion. I can protect myself," she giggled.

"Humor me," he deadpanned. "It's after two in the morning." She nodded and he walked her down to the lobby. He returned ten minutes later, sitting down and thrusting his hands into his hair.

"Are you okay?" I asked, kneeling in front of him.

"I'm ... happy for her? But, so sad that we're going to lose her," he replied. Shrugging one shoulder, he looked at me and caressed my cheek. "But, I would have done it for you, Bella. I can't be in a world where you don't exist."

"Good thing we don't have to be," I smiled, running my fingers across his lips. "I'm going to miss her."

"We've got at least a year or two before we ..." he trailed off. "I need you, Bella." He picked me up and carried me to bed, removing clothes haphazardly. We came together, healing each other with kisses, love and joining our bodies. We eventually drifted asleep, our minds tired from the information that Esme shared with us, but understanding in her reason why.

xx OOTD xx

EPOV

Nearly two years after initially meeting Thomas, Esme's wedding to him was one of the most beautiful, elegant and special moments in my long life. I gave her away, placing her tiny hand into Thomas's and entrusting him to care for the woman who I came to know like a mother. I stood by his side, acting as best man while he recited his promises to love her always and forever. When the minister announced them as husband and wife, it was nearly time to restore Esme's humanity. We'd decided to do it just prior to them leaving the reception hall.

A lot had changed in the legion. Charlie had found his mate. His mate was Bella's mother, but reincarnated. She was a beautiful woman named Sue, with jet-black hair and ice-blue eyes. She was a recent addition to the legion and also had the gift of foresight and premonitions. Seth and Felicity had decided to change her into an angel, as well. She went through a quick transformation and they lived together in Vancouver, protecting the Pacific Northwest.

Bella, who was dressed in a midnight-blue chiffon bridesmaid gown, came over to me on the balcony of the lavish hotel where the reception was being held. "Hey, baby," she said, twining her fingers with mine. "Esme is changing out of her wedding dress and into her traveling clothes. It's almost time."

"I know," I whispered. "I ... I'm going to miss her, Bella."

"I am, too. She's the closest thing I had to a mom. Ever," she replied, leaning her cheek against my bicep. "Meeting my mother in the reincarnated version is not the same. Plus, it's been two generations since she had me. Sue remembered my mother's past and having a baby, but nothing really about me. Esme is ... I don't know. I'm just as heartbroken as you. I wish there was a way for her to remember us. Or me ... God, that sounds so selfish."

"No, I get it," I said, sliding my arms around her body and running my fingers along her back, making her melt against me. I felt her wings shift under her skin and she moaned quietly. She warned me mentally to stop it. Her wings were a huge erogenous zone. I made her come once with my hands running along her back and preening her feathers. "Sorry, pretty Bella."

"It's okay," she whispered. "I know tonight will be rough and I will be with you, as you will be with me. Just don't get me all worked up before we have to restore Esme's humanity." We both paused, feeling her call. Threading our fingers together, we went back inside and made our way to the bride's room. Bella knocked and Esme beckoned us to enter. Pushing inside, she was out of her gorgeous wedding dress and in a navy-blue dress that fell to her knees. Bella hugged her. "It was a beautiful wedding, Esme. You and Thomas, you make a stunning couple."

"Thank you," she whispered. "I know that once this happens, I won't remember you but in here, I will always love you both. You are the future of the legion. Love each other always and focus on the light."

"Bella is my light," I murmured. "She brought me out of the dark with her love. She saved more times than I could count and that was while she was human."

Esme chuckled, hugging me and ruffling my hair. With a sigh, she stepped back and wiped her face. "I'm ready."

Bella and I shared a look before calling on powers only used to create angels and take away their magic. Our hands glowed, heating up almost uncomfortably. Bella placed her hands on Esme's shoulders while I put my hands near her temples. Her magic was absorbed into our bodies. Bella took her wings, her eternal life and granted her a human lifespan. I took her gift and returned her memories of Thomas. With a shudder, we stopped and stepped back. Bella guided a dazed Esme to the couch while her human body recovered. Bella crouched in front of her. "You may not remember us, but we will always remember you. We'll feel you in our hearts, Esme. If you need us, we'll be there."

Esme blinked, still processing. Bella stood up and we left her in the room. I found Thomas, telling him that Esme was in the bride's room waiting for him. He beamed happily, skipping to her. I led Bella out of the reception hall and up to the roof. We were both shattered, saddened at the loss of Esme. I picked up my mate, my wife and took off from the roof, flying us back to Scotland, where we could mourn her loss in our own way.

We kept a close eye on Thomas and Esme. Within a year of being married, they welcomed a baby boy into the world named Carlisle. They also had twin girls whom Esme named Isabella and Alice. Their relationship thrived and all my life, I'd never seen Esme as happy as she was with Thomas and she stayed happy, blissfully so, as a mother of three, grandmother of seven and great grandmother of over twenty children, until her death at the age of ninety-seven, just moments after Thomas passed away.

Almost a hundred years after I lost Bella and had her recreated as an angel, we finally decided to return to our roots. Felix missed his quiet house in the woods of Forks. Yes, the castle was quiet, but it was not like the Forks house, though that was long-since destroyed thanks to a forest fire. Alice, who had been promoted to Dominion after Esme's decision to become human, and Colton took over the Scotland castle while Bella and I would return to the states. Bella and I purchased a new home, still hidden the forest and off the beaten path.

"After all these years, this place still smells the same," she said as we unloaded our clothes and personal belongings into the modern home. It was impersonal at the moment, but would be made into a home soon with our pictures and personal nuances. "I wonder what happened to Mrs. Cope, Lauren, Jessica ...?"

"Mrs. Cope died in prison," I told her. "Lauren pulled her life together after her stint in jail for drug possession. She moved to California and got married to an investment broker. They had a couple of kids. Jessica, it would seem, didn't learn her lesson and overdosed on meth about ten years after she was released from prison. She left behind a baby girl."

"Sounds eerily familiar," Bella said quietly. "What happened to the baby girl?"

"Foster care, but unlike you, Jessica's daughter was protected by her guardian angel," I said.

"Who was it?" she asked.

"It was me," I blushed. "Her daughter, Kenzie, was eventually adopted by her foster family and she grew up to be a doctor. The cycle didn't repeat, Bella." Bella looked up at me, her eyes shimmering with tears. I took her into my arms and held her. "We learned from our mistakes. I asked to be Kenzie's angel. I knew what had happened to Jessica and I refused to let another girl, another woman, go through what you endured, my love."

"Is it weird that I want to go back into a classroom?" she asked.

"Then, I'm glad I asked Alec to create teaching licenses for us," I smirked. "We're getting a do-over, pretty Bella." She giggled. "But, this time, no Riley's, no Rosalies, no danger. Just us. This should have been your future in the first place, Bella."

"Now? I get to share it with the man I love," she beamed. She kissed me tenderly and sighed contentedly. "Thank you, Edward."

"I'd move mountains to get to you," I whispered, remembering the moment when I flew her to Mount St. Helens. "That hasn't changed." I took out the ring I'd purchased her so long ago. "I think you should wear it. For old-time's sake." I slid it onto her right hand, kissing it tenderly. "I love you, Bella."

"I love you, more, Edward," she beamed. "What are our names?"

"Edward and Bella," I smiled. "Edward and Bella Cullen."

"We're really going back in time," she chuckled. "But, no darkness, hmmm?"

"No, pretty Bella. Only happiness, love, and light," I whispered. "Only happiness, love and light. Forever."

Fin

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3.4K 109
Meet Angel Cullen and her story of life as a half vampire, half human. Her biological parents abuse her to the brink of death and she is rescued by C...
14.2K 768 29
Edward Cullen is an asshole. He's a moody musician and artist who likes his tattoos, alcohol and drugs. He's down on his luck when his friend, Emmett...
68.5K 1.9K 19
Violet Grace has loved and lost. Her gift.... She considers a curse, She didn't know how to use it... But she does now. The question is, Will she use...
131K 3.8K 27
Bella dies when the Cullens are out hunting. But she has a chance to go back to earth. She has a month to complete her task while three things are ch...