Going the Distance (Book #1 o...

By JuliaSoleil

-Completed- Highest Ranking: #34 in Chic lit, #15 in LDR Sophie Jimenez, whose heart has been broken by the... More

Preface
Prelude
1: Hazel Eyes
2: Smitten
3: If Only
4: Spark
5: Bittersweet
6: Wishful Thinking
Interlude: Meeting Her
7: "Hello Andy"
8: Line To England
9: Rare Moments
Interlude: "Can I See You?"
10: Lovely Thought
11: Believe
12: The Sign
Interlude: Linger
13: Gatecrashed
14: Chance
15: A Moment
Interlude: Feelings
16: Discovering You
17: White Lies
18: You and Me
Interlude: Lost In Her
19: Undetached
20: Feigning Insecurities
21: Love-Hate
Interlude: Want
22: Faith
23: Real
24: Priceless
Interlude: Care
25: Bliss
Postlude

Interlude: Slowly

140 10 0
By JuliaSoleil

Pagkalabas ng guest room ay sumalubong kay Andy ang aroma ng inihahandang almusal sa kusina. It smells different. The air carries the scent of meat, beef probably, overlaid with a rich, garlicky scent. His mother must've prepared something special for them. Humikab ito at iniunat ang mga braso bago tumuloy sa pasilyo papunta ng hagdan.

Sleepily, he climbs up the stairs going to the second floor to where his room is. Gigisingin na niya si Sophie. Ngunit pagkabukas niya ng kanyang kuwarto ay natagpuan niyang wala ito sa higaan. Maayos na rin ang kama at nakatiklop na rin ang kumot.

He tries to knock on the bathroom door but he halts when he founds it slighlty opened. Maingat niyang sinilip ang loob pero wala rin ito roon. Nawalang bigla ang kanyang antok. "Where could she be?" tanong niya sa sarili.

Nauna na nga itong nagising sa kanya at hindi na lang muna siya inistorbo sa kanyang pagtulog. Nabanggit kasi niya rito kagabi na gusto niyang matulog nang mahaba upang bumawi sa puyat ng nakaraang gabi. He rushes to the stairs to go down then he goes straight to the living room. She's not there. He peeps through the screen door but she's not in the patio as well.

Pupunta na lamang siya sa kusina upang itanong sa kanyang ina kung nasaan si ito. But when he reaches the kitchen he find her there unexpectedly. Nakatalikod ito kaharap ang lutuan at kung anong may hinahalo sa nakasalang na Chinese Wok sa burner.

Sumandal siya sa gilid ng bukas na pintuan. He stands there for awhile, and couldn't place his gaze away from the petite figure not so far from him. Her hair is tighlty tied up with loose strands kept behind her ears. On her bare neck hangs an oversized apron that's wrapped around her waist, contrary to the skimpy shorts she's wearing.

Can he blame himself if he cannot take his eyes off those perfectly shaped thighs and legs? Dahil sa liit ng baywang nito, kinailangan pang ipaikot ang tali ng isa pang beses ang suot nitong apron. He cannot deny the fact that right at this very moment, he is so attracted to her. He couldn't help himself imagine being closer to her... what's it like to be more intimate with her.

Kagabi lamang ay pinadalhan siya ng text message ni Bruce. "Did you get laid?" tanong nito, na hindi naman niya sinagot. Paniguradong tatawanan lang siya ng pinsan kung sasabihin niyang "hindi" dahil wala nang nangyari. Sa unang gabi pa lamang na sila'y magkasama, hinangad niyang may mangyayari sa kanila. Hindi man tuwirang sinabi ni Sophie na ayaw nito, nakuha rin niya agad ang ibig nitong ipahiwatig. That's when she insisted that she's not comfortable sharing a bed with the opposite sex.

She's not yet ready. At iyon ay lubos naman niyang nauunawaan. Sa ngayon. Kakakilala pa lamang nila nang personal at ngayon lamang sila nagkasama. Marahil hindi siya ang tipo na hindi man lang muna pararaanin ang ilang araw bago ibigay ang sarili sa lalaki. Ibang-iba sa kanyang nakagisnan!

Kaya nang magtabi pa rin sila habang may malaking unan sa kanilang pagitan ay sobrang pigil niya sa kanyang sarili na ito ay hawakan. He cannot fully understand himself either why does he keep a keen eye on his actions that might upset her, though, maybe because he knows he had hurt her when he almost dumped her.

God knows what she might've thought about him and how jerk he was.... what she might've been doing all the time while he was completely out of the picture. That's why he's thanking all the gods that she's still here. That she went here. She doesn't deserve to be upset and offended.

Nilapitan niya si Sophie at niyakap mula sa likod nito. He curls his arm around her waist and bends a little bit to reach her ear. "What's keeping my baby busy out here?"

Her body stiffens for a second and then she throws out a childish laugh and gently tugs his chest with her elbow. "Good morning, sleepy head."

"Good morning, Chef. I ain't sleepy no more." He gives her gentle little smacks on her cheeks.

"Gosh, I'm sweating all over, Andy," saway nito sa kanya habang inilalayo nang bahagya ang mukha. "You can kiss me later," pahabol pa nitong biro.

"I love to kiss those sweats, anyway." Patuloy pa rin ang paghalik niya sa mukha ni Sophie, hanggang sa ang labi niya ay dumampi na rin sa tenga nito, sa batok at sa leeg. Naaamoy niya ang naghahalong pawis at cologne nito. Her scent is tugging in his senses like a baited hook.

Maya't-maya ay tila nagugulat si Sophie ngunit hindi naman nito mabitawan ang sandok at hawakan ng Chinese wok. "Stop it, Andy! It tickles."

"Really! So I'm motivated to do it more," he says in between his kisses.

Binitiwan ni Sophie ang niluluto at siya'y hinarap. Hinawakan nito ang magkabila niyang pisngi saka tumingkayad, hanggang ang kanilang mga mukha ay isang pulgada na lamang ang pagitan. "You don't listen to me," she says softly, but eyeing him.

Before Andy can even speak, she leans over in a swift and kisses him on the lips. Her act freezes him on the spot and takes his breath away. His heart thumps as she continues to aggressively claim his lips, then he lets out a soft moan. When his hands starts to tunnel on her back, Sophie lets go.

"Would you mind to take out the breads from the oven? They're ready."

He feels he has lost some air. Bumuntong-hininga siya nang malalim at pagkatapos ay napahawak siya sa kanyang labi. "Whoa! Is that your way of punishing me?"

"No," natatawang sagot ni Sophie. "Your parents will be going down soon so we better get prepared." Bumalik ito sa pagluluto at maya-maya lamang ay hinango na niya nakasalang at isinalin sa isang serving plate.

"What kind of breads are these?" takang tanong ni Andy. Inilapag niya ang tray na naglalaman ng mga tinapay sa mesa. "They smell good!"

"Pandesal. It's a native bread from in country." Isinalin niya ang bagong hurnong mga tinapay sa isang basket serving tray. "Wait 'til I'll amaze you more." Kinindatan nito si Andy bago tumalikod upang ihanda na ang mga pagkaing ihahatid sa dining room.

"Yeah, you do not seize to amaze me!"

~~~~~~~~

"My parents enjoyed the food you prepared." Sa gitna ng kanyang pagmamaneho ay nilingon ni Andy si Sophie. "My mom is used to preparing the breakfast for everybody on a daily basis. So waking up finding the table all set and all she had to do was to eat is something very new to her. And she loved the chocolate porridge. What do you call that again?"

"It's champorado," sagot niyang pinipigil ang tawa. "How about you? What did you like best?"

"That sirloin with the fried rice and egg is superb! Tap---taps---" Nasa dulo na ng kantang dila ang pangalan ng pagkain ngunit hindi pa rin niya ito maalala. O mabigkas.

"You mean that Tapsilog! It's called Tapsilog, babe!" naaaliw nitong sagot. There are other varities to that dish, actually. There are pork, chicken and fish dishes too while the fried rice and egg remain. Thus, we just substitute the prefix before the si-log."

"I'm beginning to love the Filipino foods now."

"I promise to feed you with the best Filipino dishes while I am here, Andy."

His eyes soften. "Please don't make me be used to that, though. I might struggle to find my feet again with the change when you go back to the Philippines."

The smile that has played at the corner of her glossed lips fades. "I have two long weeks to spend with you."

Dinampot niya ang kamay ni Sophie at hinimas ito, na siyang ginantihan naman ng huli.

"We won't fight again?"

"I don't want to label them as a fight. We are discovering each other. That's inevitable," kaswal niyang sagot.

"The trouble when things go so quickly, you try to get by. It's like you're running after the moments you have missed. You cut short the whole process... things that could've been more special if taken slowly." She pauses before she continues. "Funny truth is, we still do not know each other that well."

"Things have been fast between us but it's not too late to take things slow."

"I like that!" Nagliwanag ang mga mata ni Sophie sa tuwa. "Will you still like me on the following days, weeks. months? This is so exciting."

"I hope you'll like me more!" pambobola pa ni Andy.

~~~~~~~~

"Babe, you go ahead. I left my phone in the car." Tinanguan siya ni Sophie sabay talikod niya at patakbong tinungo ang nakaparadang sasakyan sa harap ng kanyang apartment. Before he opens the car, he glances at her as she approaches the apartment building's main door. A smile automatically draws in his face. Hanggang ngayon kasi ay tila panaginip pa rin sa kanya dahil sa layo ng Pilipinas, naandito ito ngayon at kasama niya. Pinagmasdan niya ito hanggang mawala sa kanyang paningin.

When he met her the first time, he knew for himself that he's attracted to her. He wanted nothing but fun. He knew she's the kind of distraction he needed. Ngunit nang tanggalin niya ito sa kanyang buhay, lahat na yata ng distraction ay ginawa niya mawala lamang ito sa kanyang sistema. It has never been easy. He never made it through.

At nang biglang na-hack ang kanyang Connected account, pakiramdam niya ay pinutol nang talaga ng tadhana ang kanilang ugnayan. Hindi na rin niya ma-i-sign-in ang kanyang Skype. Reasons why he couldn't reach her. Must be a a sign, he initially thought.

But no. Something must be really wrong. Or rather somebody did compromise his accounts. He'll be creating a new Skype account soon while he doesn't need his old Connected profile anymore. So what's a new Connected profile for, anyway? She is here. And he doesn't think he'll get to meet another girl on the internet who's sincere and genuine as she is.

Binuksan niya ang kanyang kotse at agad na dinampot ang phone. Nakita niyang may mensahe pala siyang dumating.

"What time are you coming home? I'm here. Can't wait to see you..."

It's from Paola!

Nag-init bigla ang kanyang dugo. Nasa unit nila ito ngayon at hindi na naman nagpasabi na pupunta! What's even worse is that Sophie is on her way up and he's not sure if he can still reach her before she gets to their unit. He immediately dials Paola's number, na halos mabitawan pa ang cellphone nang dahil sa panic. She answers in an instant.

"Hello, sweetie," malambing nitong sabi sa kabilang linya.

"I'm not coming home tonight, Paola. You may leave now," mabilis na pananalita nito.

"I just heard your car beeped as you park."

Fuck! Pabulong siyang napamura habang bahagya niyang inilayo ang bibig sa cellphone.

"Come on up now. I've been waiting for years. Haven't you received my text yesterday afternoon?"

"I didn't receive your text. And is it not even clear to you that I cannot see you anymore?" sagot niya sabay matulin na pinasok ang building. Madali niyang inakyat ang hagdan habang dala-dalawang baitang ang kanyang inihahakbang. "I want you to leave now."

"Oh, somebody just rang your door. Are you expecting another guest tonight?"

Shit!

"Now I get it why you wanted me to leave the hell outta here."

Bago paan makapagsalita si Andy ay ibinaba na ni Paola ang telepono.

Crap!

Halos liparin na niya ang pag-akyat ng hagdan. Bakit nga ba ganito na lamang ang pangamba niya? Bumalik na naman ang guilt feeling na dulot ng nakaraang ginawa niya. Cheating na nga ba'ng maituturing ang minsang may nangyari sa kanila ni Paola habang nagkakamabutihan na sila ni Sophie sa chat? Pero chat pa lamang naman iyon at hindi pa sila nagkikita nang personal. Nahiya rin siya sa sarili nang maalala niyang naulit muli iyon ng isa pang beses nang pinutol niya ang komunikasyon kay Sophie.

Oo. Pandaraya ngang maituturing, kung ang namamagitan sa kanila ni Sophie ay isang tunay na relasyon. Pero hindi, dahil sa chat pa lamang naman ang kanilang ugnayan nang nangyari ang mga iyon. Though it's not crystal clear that their online relationship was as good as boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, one thing was certain to him. He liked her so much. Now, he likes her even more. And he is willing to take whatever they have now one step further ahead.

He hurriedly paces the hall until he reaches his unit.

"Nice to meet you, too, Paola," ang nadatnan ni niya kay Sophie pagkabukas na pagkabukas niya ng pintuan ng kanilang unit. He slightly clinches his jaw at the sight of her.

"Hi, sweetie!" I just met your foreign friend---" binalingan nito ng tingin si Sophie mula ulo hanggang paa. "Sophie, right?" habang si Sophie naman ay taas-kilay siyang tiningnan.

"Right Andy, we met." With crossed arms and posture straight, hinarap siya ni Sophie na nakatayo sa kanyang tabi. He rubs his hand over his dark stubble before he turns his gaze away. "Seems like she's been wating here for hours. I really won't mind if I leave you talk here while I wait in your room. Go entertain your guest."

"Oopsie..." Biglang preno si Lyanna nang tutunguhin sana niya ang kusina. "Hi, Andy! Hi... Sss-ophie."

Andy eyes her a questioning look while she shrugs her shoulder, giving him an expression that says something like, "You did not know?"

"She insisted to stay and wait for you," ani Lyanna.

Paola walks closer to him, hips rolling and undulating. "Is visiting you here an issue already? Do I need to set up an appointment next time?"

"I told you the last time we talk that I cannot see you anymore," mahinahong sabi ni Andy. Tiningnan niya ito nang diretso sa mata at napabuntong-hininga siya nang malalalim, habang ang dalawa niyang kamay ay ipinasok niya sa magkabilang bulsa.

"You know what, Sophie..." baling ni Paola sa kanya nang nakapameywang. "I was actually with him after you finished chatting. Do you remember the time when he told you to sleep because you have some... uhm crap to bake? That's what you do right? You bake some craps." Her tone walks the line between bitterness and incredulity.

"Paola!" sita ni Andy.

"Why, Andy? You cannot deny the fact that what we started from that couch we ended it up in your bed!" She smirks as she runs her hands over her blonde mop of curls that's well tamed.

Sophia's eye changes, sharpens. Andy catches her expression and sighs. Napahilot na lamang siya sa kanyang sentido, slamming his eyes shut for a moment.

Dali-dali namang nilapitan ito ni Lyanna at kanyang inaiangkla niya ang kamay sa braso nito. Marahan niya itong niyugyog at tila may binulong pa sabay hila sa kanya upang umalis.

Nanatili si Sophie sa kinatatayuan. "Crap?" She raises her eyebrow, her lips primed. "You call my recipes crap? I'm just working for a living. What about you deactivating somebody else's social accounts? Or changing their passwords? Isn't that what you call crap? It's simply pathetic." It's clearly one of those weaponized sentences that get flung out to hurt, to end conversations.

"What do you mean, Sophia?" mula sa pagkakayuko ay napatingin si Andy sa kanya.

"Ask her," she tells him authoritatively. "Let's go, Lyanna. They need a moment." She anchors her arm to hers then they proceed straight to Bruce's room.

"Paola?"

"I deactivated your Connected account and changed your password on Skype. You weren't so careful, Andy. You leave them open in your laptop. You even leave your passwords under your keyboard?" She lets out a sarcastic laugh. "How can a normal person be that careless?"

He inhales a sharp breath. "That was crazy. You were going out of line, Paola. You invaded my privacy!"

"Are you dumping me?" It's more of a remark than a question. It comes out of left field, and she can only stare at him.

"I cannot dump you because we're not even together in the first place. You knew that from start." His voice is flat and steady, but tight as a plucked wire.

She claps her hands on her hips, arms crooked like sugar bowel handles. "Everything was okay until that foreigner came."

"No, Paola. I thought everything WAS okay. And then she came." Huminto ito saglit, yumuko, at kinagat ang ibabang labi. "You know, I don't need to explain myself and you won't understand completely, Paola. I already told you before, and I assured you, that we cannot see each other again."

"Alright, stop now." Not quite believing what she just heard, she fans her heated face with her hands, making her bangles in her wrist clink on her gesture. Don't keep this long, Andy."

"Paola, there will be----"

She cuts him short. "No biggie, so don't bother to sugarcoat things." Kinuha na nito ang bag na nakapatong sa couch. "It's been fun. See you 'round." She swaggers to the main door and leaves, shutting the door before him. The sound of her stiletto heels clicking the polished floor in the hallways rapidly fades in the background.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291K 7.7K 83
••Complete•• ||Monaro Family: book 3|| •Leo• I've been in the army since I turned 18. I'm now 24. Being a soldier is all I know. Currently, I'm hom...
4.2K 74 20
Twelve years ago, he drove away with my heart in his hands. I've moved on since then. Or so I thought. Growing up in a small town, there weren't too...
564 1 54
[HIS SERIES BOOK #2] "His amending touch will stay forever in my heart." -Kate Frias. Kate had been broken before. Not just once, but twice...
117K 3.4K 35
They tried to warn her. All he was going to do was break her heart. Well, then let him break it. *** High school. The dreaded part of our lives whe...