Chasing After The PA | Comple...

Per DaymareXNightdream

Hunter Blackthorne, CEO of the most powerful company in the world. Young, attractive and extremely arrogant. ... Mรฉs

Hello!
Preface
Official Playlist
Chapter 1 - Interview
Chapter 2 - Caramel Macchiato
Chapter 3 - Cheaters Never Win
Chapter 4 - A Date With A Familiar Face
Chapter 5 - The Kardashians ft. My Date, My Ex And My Boss
Chapter 6 - Reminder From A Dark Past
Chapter 7 - Sleepover!
Chapter 8 - Goodnight
Chapter 9 - We Date
Chapter 10 - You're Living With Me
Chapter 11 - Roses Are Red...
Chapter 12 - Still A Better Love Story Than Twilight
Chapter 13 - Gideon Harris And Erica Who?
Chapter 14 - The First Kiss Is Always The Most Fake, Right?
Chapter 15 - Necklace Of Lies
Chapter 16 - A Poke To The Butt And A Kiss On The Lips
Chapter 17 - New Goal: Make Her Mine
Chapter 18 - I've Got A Migraine
Chapter 19 - Red Velvet And Hot Pockets
Chapter 20 - Cuddles, Chris And Couple Costumes
Chapter 21 - I'm As Straight As A Broken Ruler
Chapter 22 - Halloween King And Queen
Chapter 23 - Alexander Hamilton
Chapter 24 - Midnight Conversations
Chapter 25 - Holiday Spirit
Chapter 26 - Unwanted Proposals and Holiday Cheer
Chapter 27 - New Year, New Love
Chapter 28 - Time Apart
Chapter 29 - Best Friends Give The Best Advice
Chapter 30 - Bonding With Exes
Chapter 31 - Unofficially Meeting The Parents
Chapter 32 - Breakups And British Devils
Chapter 33 - Prรจs Du Coeur
Chapter 34 - I Love Him
Chapter 35 - Confessions
Chapter 36 - To The Moon And Back
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy Birthday
Chapter 38 - Dead Flowers And Used Band-Aids
Chapter 39 - Daisies
Chapter 40 - Dishonest Lies
Chapter 41 - I Quit
Chapter 42 - Letting Go
Chapter 43 - Grey
Chapter 44 - Between Two Worlds
Chapter 45 - I Miss Her
Chapter 47 - Don't Believe Everything You See
Chapter 48 - Welcome Home, Brother
Chapter 49 - Cucumber
Chapter 50 - Losing Her
Chapter 51 - The Prince Charming To My Cinderella
Epilogue
You Asked, I Answered!
Bonus Chapter - A Very Merry Blackthorne Christmas

Chapter 46 - Lay Your Head Down

16.5K 767 54
Per DaymareXNightdream

Woah, a new chapter already????

Yup :)

I was checking up on the comments from the last chapter and dang, no forgiveness for Hunter.

Spoiler: There may be another Hunter point of view in this chapter so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, we're almost nearing 200K reads, so thank you for continuing to stick around :) I know my upload schedule was really bad at times but I'm glad that you guys could pull through it XD

I'm going to try to finish this story before the end of this year (at the latest). My original plan was to finish it by the end of the summer, and that may still happen if I can go on a roll and finish this in two weeks. If not, you can still expect frequent uploads until these two weeks are up and I have to go back to school.

Anyway, enjoy this chapter; vote, comment and share, and I'll see you at the end.

Song - Alex & Sierra, Little Do You Know

~Jessica

"That was when the world wasn't so big and I could see everywhere. It was when my father was a hero and not a human."

-Markus Zusak

**************

+Payton's POV+

A few days passed by, and it seemed as though we'd gotten into a routine of things.

Every morning, Gideon would bring in breakfast before Adam would come in and try to talk to me.

I could tell that Adam was trying to be more nice and work on his anger. He really did try to keep my off of things, and tried to get me to forget that he pretty much kidnapped me.

His usual conversation starters were about his plans for the future, and where he wanted to take me for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, and every holiday you could think of.

On some of his good days, I actually really did somewhat forget about what Adam had done to me in the past. I forgot about the beatings I took and how bad it was, but it never lasted and I'd feel horrible knowing that I was able to forget about it for even a second.

Adam knew my fears, and he used them on me to keep in in line.

New bruises and scars began to appear on my skin, and my old fears began crawling back.

It felt exactly like when I used to lived with him and quite frankly, I wasn't fazed by it anymore.

I was scared of something new as well this time though; I was scared of myself.

How could I let him beat and verbally abuse me without even trying to fight back anymore? Was I letting him slowly kill me? Had I really lost all willpower to fight?

Yes, yes I had.

Everything was numb.

I gave up on trying to figure out why Adam was the way he was; I came to accept it. The sooner I did that, the better it was for me.

I knew that Adam liked it when I was more submissive, so that's exactly what I did. I became a robot for him, someone who did whatever he wanted.

Tonight, Adam came into my room for the first time. He never did that, I would always be locked in by myself for the night.

He laid down beside me, and sent me a small smile, "Mind if I stay?"

I said nothing, and just moved a bit more to one side to make more room. I wasn't going to be put through another one of his angry rampages again just for not moving over.

"You're improving," he said softly, I felt a hand run through my hair. "I knew my girl would."

I sniffled, looking up at the ceiling. Improving. I didn't know how I felt about that.

I looked at him weakly trying to muster up the last few pieces of strength in me to speak, "One of these days Adam, someone is going to find me."

A small laugh escaped his lips, he already knew that those words were empty. "Yeah, I found you." he moved closer to me, and wrapped both arms around my waist.

I didn't try to push them away. Maybe it was because I was already defeated or maybe I was that desperate for affection again; either way, I let him close. I tried to pretend that it was really Hunter who was cuddling up, but no matter how warm Adam's embrace really was, it felt ice cold to me.

"Why are you doing this to me Adam?" I asked quietly.

"Because I'm not going to lose you again," he answered, his hot breath on my neck. "I love you, I've always been the one to really do so."

What even was the concept of love anymore? I thought that I was clear on it, but I wasn't so sure now.

I believed that what I had with Hunter was love, but was it really love if they could leave you just with the snap of a finger?

I used to believe that what I had with Adam was real love until he became abusive, but he came back for me. Even after years of not seeing him, he still came back. Was that a skewed perspective on love? He was so determined on having me and only me, that he came back and let nothing get in his way to reunite with me.

Hunter hasn't done that.

I mentally slapped myself on the wrist.

No, Payton. No matter how much you want to look at him as the good guy, he isn't. He never will be.

I was disappointed in myself. How could I ever even compare Hunter and Adam together? Have I really begun to see Hunter as that evil of a person?

My mind raced with thoughts to the point where it hurt. I whimpered, and felt Adam quickly pull me even closer.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Just a headache," I answered.

"You haven't been eating enough," Adam scolded me like a child. "I've been trying to get you to eat more but you refuse."

"Because I said that I wasn't hungry," I tried to convince him.

I could tell by the way Adam was starting to squeeze me harder, that he was getting angry that I was talking back. "I'll eat more tomorrow," I quickly said.

He kissed the back of my head, "You have to promise me."

"I- I promise," I echoed. An ironic smile appeared in my head; that seemed like the only promise that could be kept.

"Get some rest darling," Adam said quietly, loosening his grip. His hands moved up to my temples gently massaging them for me. "I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a good day."

*****

The sound of crickets were always something that I looked forward to during the night. It was a symbol of another ending and a new beginning.

Crickets came out every night to sing their tunes, but when dawn came around, they finished up and waited until dusk once more. They were like the closing credits to every day, and it reminded me that there was always tomorrow to try again.

"You're letting him win."

I looked up from Hunter's chest, "What?"

His gaze stayed on the night sky, the reflections of the stars in his eyes. "You're losing your faith."

"No one's going to find me Hunter, it's pointless to even think about it."

"There are so many people who care about you, you have to believe me. They're trying their best, they really are," Hunter tried to persuade. "Don't give into it just yet."

"I'm tired of hoping for a miracle," I sighed. "I'm just tired of trying altogether."

"Do it for me," he pleaded. "I need you."

I smiled humourlessly. "You don't Hunter, and you have to understand that. You don't need me, you need someone with the same standards as you, and I'm not that person."

"I chose you, didn't I?" Hunter asked.

"No, you chose the contract. This was never supposed to happen in the first place," I whispered. "And I wish that it never did."

"Don't you remember the very first time that you said that you loved me?" Hunter asked. "I was so elated to hear those words come from your lips. That was the happiest I've ever been."

I said nothing and looked away. "Stop bringing those times up."

"Why? Those were the memories that we made together, the memories that I'll cherish for as long as I live."

"And those will be the memories that I'll be bedeviled with for as long a I live." I moved out of the cuddle Hunter had me in. "Let's face it, you're not coming back for me. I was just a faze that you can easily get over. No matter how much you believe that somehow the Hunter in real life is going to become some kind of prince charming and save me, deep inside, you know it won't happen."

"What ever happened to wanting your happy ending?" he asked. "What happened to fighting for our fairy tale even if I don't believe in it?"

"That was before you moved on so quickly," I picked up a stone and chucked it at the water, watching the water ripples glowing under the light of the moon.

"Physically, but mentally it'll always be you. You know that, you have to," he answered. "Trust me Payton, I don't give up that easily."

"You haven't been doing such a great job at proving it to me lately," I said seriously. I noticed the defeated look on Hunter's face. "I know you're trying to help but it's not working."

A loud sigh escaped him. "I know," he rubbed his face. "I'm sorry, I just can't bear to see you slowly give up. I wish that I could somehow just make you stay here until it's over, I wish that I could take your place."

"I wish that I could just stay here forever," I exhaled, appreciating the beautiful night sky by the sea. "I wish that I could just pretend that you've always been by my side, that Adam was never there, that my parents never died..."

"Hold on Payton, just keep it together," Hunter whispered, pulling me back onto him. He pressed his lips onto my forehead. "Hold on with me."

I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his chest. "Promise me that you'll always be here."

"I promise," Hunter said unrelentingly. "I love you to the moon and back."

*****

+Hunter's POV+

The charity party was tomorrow, and I was dreading it.

Trying to figure out what was going on, on my own wasn't going anywhere and I was seriously running out of time.

I sat at my office desk, just staring at the door to Payton's office hopelessly. Something inside me wished that she would just walk out of there with that smile on her face and everything would be back to normal again.

It was already dark outside, and I was supposed to be back home already but I couldn't.

I couldn't go home to another one of Tifanny's attempts to entice me with one of her many outfits.

I couldn't go home to her blabbering on and on about the wedding.

I couldn't go home to a place that didn't feel like home.

I couldn't go home knowing that Payton wasn't there.

I couldn't go home and pretend again that nothing was wrong.

For the millionth time, I picked up my phone and gazed at Bill's contact number. I was waging a war in my mind on whether or not I should call Bill.

He had to know what was going on, he had to tell me.

I swallowed down my pride and decided that I needed help.

Bringing the phone up to my year, I waited for Bill to pick up.

On the second ring, someone on the other side answered. "Mr. Blackthorne."

"Bill," I said slowly. "Can- Can I talk to you in person?"

There was a pause.

"I'll be there in a few minutes," he answered strictly before hanging up.

To his word, he was at my office in five minutes.

The very first thing that I noticed when Bill walked in was how tired he looked.

The suit he was wearing was the same one I had seen him in at the hospital; it was wrinkled, dirtied and had a stain on the collar. His hair was somewhat greasy and unkempt. The bags under his eyes were dark and heavy, he hadn't slept in days.

It was extremely uncharacteristic of him to be nothing but structured and well kept.

"Hey," I started off.

"What do you want Mr. Blackthorne?" Bill crossed his arms.

I got up from my seat. "You have to tell me what's happening. Is Payton okay?"

He laughed acridly, "Why are you even asking? Aren't you engaged to another girl anyways?"

My eyebrows knitted together. "How do you know?"

"The media notices everything, it's not that hard to see the huge diamond on her ring finger." Bill frowned. "She's also been telling everyone that she's about to be the next Mrs. Blackthorne."

Damn Tifanny and her big mouth. "She wasn't supposed to tell anyone until I announced it during our charity party tomorrow," I said quietly to myself.

Bill scoffed, "Seems like you've moved on easily. That's good to know. I'll be leaving-"

"Wait!" I stopped him. "Look, could you just please tell me what's going on?"

"You say that you love Payton still, but you aren't really proving it," Bill shook his head. "What difference does it make if I tell you what's happening? You've clearly never really cared."

I ran my fingers though my hair roughly, "No, you don't understand. I didn't just break up with her for no reason!"

Bill nodded slowly, "Okay, then why did you break up with her?"

"I can't," I choked out.

"Tell me, or I'm leaving," Bill said sternly. When he noticed that I was struggling to let it out, he sighed. "Hunter, I've been with you since you were a little boy, you told me everything. You can tell me what's bothering you now."

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath. "It was my mom."

"What about her?" Bill looked at me intently.

I cracked. "She told me that she was in contact with Adam and if I didn't leave Payton, she'd get Adam to hurt her." I plopped back down on my chair. "She arranged my engagement with Tifanny, she did all of this."

I was suddenly shoved, both my chair and I fell back. Bill loomed over me, "You're an idiot Hunter. Why didn't you tell someone, tell me? You didn't need to break up with her- that harshly might I add- you could have just figured out another way to get around it."

I looked up at him, "If she found out that I did, she'd hurt her!"

"News flash, she did anyways," Bill crossed his arms. "I always knew that she was a rat," he mumbled to himself not so quietly.

My eyes widened, "Wh-what?"

"Payton's missing, Hunter. Someone took her and by the looks of it, it was Adam." He pursed his lips.

"No no no," I shook my head in disbelief. "You're lying."

Amelia promised.

But could I really have believed what she said?

"She's been gone for about a week," Bill recounted. "I'm just glad that Becca isn't awake to realize that she's gone-"

I got up off the ground, "How could you lose her!?"

"So you're blaming this on me?" Bill asked incredulously. "This was all started because you were too egotistical to ask for any help. You thought that you could handle this on your own but you can't."

I rubbed my temples. "You're right, I'm sorry."

He sighed, "I know that you want Payton back, and I know that you still care for her but this is one hell of a mess to get out of."

"I know. You were right, I really was an idiot," I groaned. "I just didn't want Payton to get hurt."

So you hurt her feelings instead, makes sense Hunter.

"You're always telling Payton to share her weight with you, but you deserve the same thing. Ask for help when you need it, don't bottle it all in until you break," Bill spoke like a father teaching their kid a lesson.

"This is all because of me," I face palmed. "I'm so fucking stupid."

"There's no denying that," Bill answered. "Now, do you want to come and help us find her now?"

He put out a hand for me to shake but I left him hanging. "Actually, I need to go to the party first."

Bill's face twisted into anger once more, "Hunter-"

"Please Bill, you have to trust me on this," I begged. "Come to the party tomorrow, and you'll see."

I stared pleadingly into Bill's eyes, praying to all the Gods above that he'd agree. I was going to make things right, I had to.

"Fine," he grumbled. "I better not be disappointed with what I see."

I winced, "I hope that you won't either."

Bill sent me one last death glare before heading out. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

*****

I barged into the living room to see my dad on the couch, reading the papers.

"Hello son," he greeted after hearing me walk into the room. He placed the papers down on the coffee table, and looked at me.

"Where's mom?" I asked impatiently, looking all over the room and towards the hallways.

He took off his glasses. "She's not home yet, she's been planning the party and wedding with the Turners."

I cursed under my breath.

"Is everything alright?" He examined me from head to toe worriedly. "You look... Stressed."

"I needed to talk to her before the party tomorrow," I said anxiously, twisting my fingers around.

"That's too bad," he shook his head. "She's probably going to be staying over there for the night. Why don't you tell me what's going on?" He knew something was up.

"I just- I really need to talk to mom."

"Son, I know that we aren't really close anymore, but you know that you can still tell me anything," he said reassuringly.

Could feel my lips begin to quiver. Keep it together Hunter, keep it together.

"If you don't want to talk about it now, then you should go and get some rest. You've got a big day ahead of you tomorrow," he sighed.

"I-" I couldn't continue.

Dad raised a brow, "Are you okay son?"

The first sob escaped my mouth, and once that happened they wouldn't end. Tears poured down my eyes like waterfalls, my whole body shook like an earthquake.

For the first time in a very long time, I was crying in front of my father.

I sat down on the couch beside him, and he quickly pulled me into an embrace. "What's wrong?"

I gasped for a breath of air, "I'm scared, dad."

"Scared of what?"

"I'm scared that you won't believe me, I'm scared that no one will. I'm scared that I may have screwed everything up, I'm scared that I lost everything. I have lost everything." I cried like a child, I cried like there was no tomorrow.

"What have you lost?" Dad asked gently, rubbed my back.

"Payton," I sobbed.

"That's one thing Hunter, you haven't lost everything," he tried to comfort.

"But she was my everything," I whispered, my heart hurt. "She was my everything dad. She was more than that, she was more than the whole world, the universe, and all the stars combined."

"Then why did you break up with her?" he questioned. "If you loved her that much, why did you leave her?"

I looked into my dad's hazel eyes, they were exactly like mine. "I'm scared that you won't believe me," I answered.

"You're my son, Hunter. I'll believe anything you say," he promised. "Now tell me."

For the first time in twenty-six years, my dad did what I always wished he had; to make time for me.

As I sat there and told him everything from beginning to end he sat there and listened, and when my explanation was over, he pulled a pillow onto his lap and patted it. "Lay your head down," he said.

As my head hit the pillow, my dad spoke again. "I'll deal with the aftermath of whatever happens."

Tears leaked from my eyes like a broken faucet. I could feel a weight being lifted off of me, "Thank you."

"What are dads for?" he responded. "I need to start making up for all those years that we lost together from me being so busy."

I felt my heart twist, "You don't owe me anything."

"Yes I do, Hunter," he answered. "I owe a lifetime of being a good father."

"But what about-"

"Just do what you have to do," he interrupted. "I'll always be by your side." He stroked my hair soothingly and pressed a kiss on my forehead. "I love you, son."

I felt my heart warm up, that was the first time I had ever heard him say that, and right after those words rolled off of his tongue, I craved to hear them again.

I sniffled," I love you too dad."

Damn, I'm crying.

Who's excited to see what's happening in the next chapter? ;)

Until next time... <3

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

1.1M 86.5K 63
๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐Ÿ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‘๐š๐ ๐ž & ๐‘๐ž๐ญ๐ซ๐ข๐›๐ฎ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ KUSH MALHOTRA - 25 "๐™Ž๐™๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™จ ๐™๐™ž๐™จ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ. ๐™’๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™๐™š๐™ง...
Unprofessional Per HoneyDew

Literatura romร ntica

40.5K 1K 45
Book #1 He's a hot, arrogant and a CEO with a jawline that could cut DIAMONDS!!๐Ÿ’Ž She's stunning, smart, and funny, but naive assistant. What happen...
755K 20.8K 63
Kalani had always thought that she was saucy and she could do absolutely anything and get away with it. She went with this mentality to a business ap...
260K 9.7K 44
Book 1 of the supernatural world series "Hey! Get down you may slip and die!!" . . "Don't worry about me I'm already dead!" _____ An ancient vampire...