Walking Among Us

By Cnife15

A group of people hold on for dear life in this post-apocalyptic world. They have been lucky enough to surviv... More

Chapter 1: School of the Dead
Chapter 2: Pit Party
Chapter 3: Convenient Fist Fights
Chapter 4: The Counting Game
Chapter 5: Tunnel Vision
Chapter 6: Broken Promises
Chapter 7: Winter Storm
Chapter 9: Nature's Bounty
Chapter 10: Back From The Dead
Chapter 11: The Good Life
Chapter 12: Don't Look Back
Chapter 13: City of Champions
Chapter 14: Rock Bottom
Chapter 15: Fatal Reunions
Chapter 16: Friend or Foe
Chapter 17: The Road Ahead
Chapter 18: Crime and Punishment
Chapter 19: Gone to Hell
Chapter 20: Adapting
Chapter 21: Staying Strong
Chapter 22: Explosive Bargaining
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Trust Issues
Chapter 25: Council Meeting
Chapter 26: Destroying Bridges
Chapter 27: Daddy's Little Girl
Chapter 28: Grave Digger
Chapter 29: Starting the Engine
Chapter 30: Short Cuts
Chapter 31: Nobody Get's Left Behind
Chapter 32: Dreams VS Reality
Chapter 33: No Rest For The Heroes
Epilogue: Lost Child

Chapter 8: Labour Problems

152 4 0
By Cnife15

"Come help me push this car!" Ray ordered Josh.

"This is a lot of cars. It's going to be a while before we can get going again", Josh said as he walked towards Ray.

"Ya so we will have to work hard if we want to get on the road again. And with all of this snow on the ground its going to be even harder", Ray stated as he started to push, "Come on, let's push." They pushed the car and it crashed into the ditch.

"Damn it! That was loud", Josh said as they backed away from the car.

"Try to keep it down over there! We don't need to attract the attention of every walker in the area!" Leroy yelled.

"We'll try our best!" Josh yelled back, "I'm gonna search through the car. See if I can find anything worth keeping."

"Okay I'll look in some other cars", Ray said as he walked away. Josh walked to the car and opened up the door. 

"Nothing useful in here", Josh said to himself as he opened up the glove box, "Nothing in the glove box either."

"Josh are you done?" Ray asked, "Come and help me move more cars!"

"I'll be right there!" Josh said as he climbed out of the car. Meanwhile Jessica was sitting in the bus, starting to go into labour. She was convinced at first that it was nothing. She had been feeling minor contractions for the past few weeks and was sure that that contraction was just another one. But it felt stronger this time, not as painful as she had heard but painful none the less. Just then she felt an even stronger pain on her left side. At this point she had stopped doubting. She knew that her baby was coming, she knew that now she would be fighting for two lives.

"Unghh!" Jessica moaned as she wrapped her arms around her abdomen. 

"Martin get your ass over here!" Randi yelled. She was almost as stressed out as Jessica because she had never delivered a baby before.

"What is it?" Martin asked as he ran towards the girls at the back of the bus.

"It's Jessica! She's having her baby!" 

"Are you sure? How many contractions has she had?" 

"She's only had two, and they were about five minutes apart."

"Oh my", Martin said as he kneeled down in the bus aisle, "You are going to have to get off of the seat Randi. Jessica will need to lay down." 

"Unnnghhh!" Jessica moaned louder this time. It was starting to hurt even more.

"Okay Jessica. Your going to need to lay down and take off your pants. And you also need to breath. It will be easier for the both of us if you can relax." 

"Randi can I hold your hand?" Jessica asked in pain.

"Of course", Randi answered as she reached out to Jessica. Jessica grabbed her hand and squeezed tightly.

"Do you hear that?" Ben asked as he got out of a vehicle, "Sounds like somebody is moaning inside the bus."

Jordan immediatly ran towards the bus. He tried to open up the door but it wouldn't budge. So he went to the window and yelled, "Jessica! Is everything okay?"

Randi went to the window and said, "She's okay. She is starting labour. Why don't you just come inside?"

"I would but the door is stuck!" Jordan answered, "Baby you'll be fine! Just listen to what Martin tells you to and you'll be fine! Is there anything you want me to get Martin?"

'Actually it would be great if you could get some water for me. She will need lots of water or she will become dehydrated", Martin answered.

"Okay I will be right back!" Jordan said as he ran away from the bus, "I need everybody to look for water! Jessica is going through labour and she needs water!"

"Unnngghhhh!" Jessica groaned, squeezing Randi's hand tightly, How much longer?"

"You're nowhere near ready to deliver that child yet, sweet heart. Just keep breathing and you'll be fine", Martin answered.

"You are doing great Jessica", Randi said trying to cheer up her friend. Meanwhile everybody outside was searching through every vehicle. Jordan was searching through a mini van when he heard Josh yell,

"Jordan I found some water!" He lifted up a few water bottles. Jordan ran over to the truck Josh was at and grabbed some more water bottles. 

"Let's get this back to Jessica! Come on everybody! Grab some water!" Jordan demanded the rest of the group.

"We better hurry!" Ben said, pointing down the road, "Cause a huge group of walkers are coming this way!"

"Shit! Let's go!" Jordan said as he ran back towards the bus with his arms full of water bottles. Everybody else grabbed some water and ran it back to the bus. Jordan got to the bus and yelled, "Open up the window! I got some water!"

Randi went to the window and pushed it up. Jordan threw the bottles through the window and Randi brought them to Jessica and Martin. Martin looked at them and said, "Bottled water. It isn't the best thing they could've brought back but it will do." 

"Owwwwww! Son of a bitch! This hurts!" Jessica yelled.

"Your doing fine baby! Just relax!" Jordan yelled through the window when he heard Jessica groan.

"Jordan you are going to have to stop paying attention to your wife if you ever want to see your new child!" Jane stated as she turned him around. There were walkers coming from all directions. They were closing in and the group knew that they wouldn't be able to handle them all. 

"Climb up on the bus!" Raymond ordered as he ran to the front of the bus, "Everybody up!" He grabbed Pablo and threw him onto the hood of the bus. Then he climbed up on top. Everybody had climbed up except for Josh and Leroy. The walkers were getting close too close to the hood of the bus so Josh and Leroy ran around the bus.

"We are going to jump up! You guys need to grab us and pull us up!" Josh yelled as he fired a few bullets at the walkers. 

"Okay jump!" Ray yelled as he leaned over the side of the bus. When Josh jumped up Ray grabbed his arm and yelled, "Pull us up!"

Jordan, and Pablo grabbed onto Ray and pulled the two up. Leroy tried to jump up but missed Ben's hand. He started to panick because the walkers were getting close to him. He jumped again and grabbed onto Ben's hand. Ben started to pull him up when Leroy started struggling. Ben looked down and saw that the walker's had grabbed onto Leroy. 

"Pull him up!" Ben yelled. Jordan and Pablo shot tried to shoot the walkers off of Leroy but there were too many. 

"Shit! The bastards got my leg!" Leroy yelled trying to kick them off. 

"There are too many of them Ben! We are never going to be able to over power this many geeks!" Jordan said as he shot at the walkers.

"We've got to keep trying!" Ben yelled as he was pulling, "Leroy is a friend! We don't let friends get eaten by walkers!" Ben, Jane, Josh and Travis continued to pull as Jordan and Ray shot at the walkers. They heard the sound of ripping flesh that was soon followed by the sound of a man yelling. They looked down and saw that the walkers had tore Leroy's leg off of his body. 

"Pull me up!" Leroy yelled as more walkers grabbed onto him. More and more started to grab onto him and were pulling him towards the ground. He was bleeding out of his leg profusely and his chances of surviving looked slim. He knew that he wasn't going to survive so he yelled, "Shoot me! Shoot me so I don't have to feel these damn things eat me alive!"

Jordan pointed his gun at Leroy and said, "I'm sorry." He pulled the trigger and Leroy dropped to the ground. The walkers swarmed over his body and started to eat. The sound of the gun shots were making Jessica stressed out. She tensed up at the sound of each gun shot.

"You need to relax!" Martin demanded, "Here, have some water. You are almost ready."

"I better be fucking ready!" Jessica yelled. 

"It's okay Jessica", Randi reassured, "You'll be fine."

Back on top of the bus everybody was shooting at the walkers. The huge group had gotten smaller but it still wasn't safe to be on the ground. Travis stopped shooting and said, "We are running out of ammo!"

"What do you expect us to do about it?" Ray asked as he shot at the walkers.

"Leroy found a bag full of ammo over by the car over there. He left it there when we were told go get water. And now we don't have that ammo", Travis answered.

"Jessica needed that water!" Jordan yelled angrily.

"We need that ammo now, Jordan! None of us will make it out alive without that ammo!" Travis yelled back.

"My wife and my baby will die without water!" Jordan fumed.

"Well now we are all going to die because we don't have that bag of ammo!" Travis shouted, "Explain to me how your wife's life is more important than all of our lives?"

"Guys this isn't the time to fight!" Ray said as he walked in between them, "If you want that ammo so badly I can go grab it."

"You can't do that! It would be suicide!" Ben stated.

"I'll be able to do it if you guys distract the walkers", Ray said, "All you have to do is make noise at the back end of the bus and I will hop off of the front end and run towards the bag. Somebody will have to be covering me the whole time to make sure that no walkers get to me. Then I can bring the bag right back up here."

"Sounds like a plan!" Travis said, "I'll cover you. Everybody else can make the noise."

Ray and Travis walked to the front of the bus and everybody else started to bang on the bus. Some walkers went towards the noise but many weren't interested by the noise.

"They need live bait or they won't go towards the back of the bus", Jane said.

"We don't have anything we can hang over the side of the bus. We don't have any animals", Josh stated.

"We could use the little boy", Jane said as she walked towards him, "He's small enough that we could hang him over top of the walkers and pull him back up easily."

"We can't do that! He's just a little boy!" Josh stated pulling Pablo away from Jane.

"I'll do it!" Pablo offered, "It's the only way we are going to make it out of here."

"Pablo don't do this. You are only a little boy", Josh said.

"I can do this! As long as you guys promise to not drop me I will be fine. I've got to do something for this group."

"Listen to the boy", Jane said as she brought Pablo to the back of the bus, "Help me hold him!" So Jordan, Josh, and Ben grabbed onto Pablo and hung him over top of the walkers. The walkers noticed him and started to grab up at him. He was just out of arms reach for the walkers. With all of the infected distracted by Pablo, Ray hopped off the bus and ran towards the bag. A few walkers chased after him. Ray looked back and shouted,

"Kill the damn geeks, Travis!"

"I'm waiting for the right time!" Travis yelled back.

"Any time would be great!" 

"I have to maximize on my shots!" Travis yelled as he aimed his rifle. He waited until two walkers were lined up in his scope, then fired. The bullet flew through one of the walkers head and flew into the head of the other walker. Ray grabbed the bag of ammo and started to head back. The last walker was walking towards Ray so he took out his knife. He ran towards the geek and stabbed it in the head. Ray ran towards the truck and yelled, 

"I'm almost at the bus! Pull Pablo back up!"

"Are you sure you'll have enough timed?" Jordan asked.

"I will have enough time! As long as you guys cover me I'll be fine!"

"Okay let's pull Pablo back up!" Ben ordered as he started pulling. They got Pablo back on the bus and the walkers started to go after Ray. The group started to shoot the walkers and Ray hopped onto the hood of the bus. He climbed up and threw the bag of ammo on the roof of the bus. 

"Load up everybody!" He said as he dug threw the bag. Jordan walked to the edge of the bus and knocked on the window. He then asked,

"How are you doing babe?"

"She's doing fine!" Martin answered, "How are you guys holding up?"

"We've had a few hiccups but we are doing fine", Jordan replied. 

"Okay I think you're ready", Martin said, "Your cervix is completely dialated. Are you ready for this?"

"I'm ready", Jessica said as she took a deep breath.

"Okay then push!" Martin demanded. 

"Oooowwww!!!" Jessica screamed as she pushed. She squeezed Randi's hand so hard that it started to turn purple.

"There aren't very many walkers left!" Ray said after he had completely loaded his gun, "We could easily kill them all. If we kill them fast enough we could get you back into that bus before your baby is born."

"Sounds good to me", Jordan said as he shot a walker in the head. The group open fired on the infected until they were all dead on the ground. When they were sure there were no more Jordan jumped off of the bus and tried to pry open the door. He tried to pull open the door but it wouldn't budge. Josh and Ray jumped down with him and they pried open the door. Jordan ran inside towards Jessica. He held her hand and said,

"You can do this baby. You are almost done."

"You are doing great Jessica", Martin reassured, "Okay Jessica, push!"

"Aaaaaggggghhhh!!!!" Jessica screamed.

"One more time. I can feel the baby's head", Martin said as he reached inside of her, "Push it out Jessica!" He took his hands out and Jessica pushed as hard as she could. The baby's head popped out and Martin put his hands underneath it. 

"Keep pushing Jessica! It's almost out!" Martin ordered. Jessica continued to push and soon the baby had come out. The baby was screaming at the top of it's lungs. Martin ignored the crying and held the baby up and exclaimed,

"It's a boy!" He handed the baby over to Jordan and Jordan smiled. He leaned over and kissed Jessica, then gave her the baby. She looked at it and said,

"Hi! I'm your mommy!" Randi started to cry. This was the most amazing thing she had ever seen. She looked at Jessica and asked,

"What are you going to name it?"

"I was thinking that we should call it Noah", Jessica answered," What do you think Jordan?" 

"Thank god you have a name! The only thing I could think of was Jamal", Jordan replied.

"We are not calling it Jamal!"

"Then it's settled! Your son's name is Noah!" Martin stated, "Now let me take him so I can clean him up a little. You try and get some rest, dear." He took Noah and started to clean him off with a shirt that was lying on another chair. Martin then gave Noah to Jordan and said, "Congratulations! You're a father now!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114 0 23
A zombie virus is released on the world, adults and children are torn apart indiscriminately as entire countries fall in chaos. A group of teenage st...
82 21 27
Set in a post-apocalyptic world, a handful of survivors try to regain the lost balance between the living and the dead. On their way, they will find...
884 10 8
In the months following the outbreak of a zombie-like pandemic, survivors travel the continent in the hope of reuniting with loved ones and a chance...
61 0 1
A crippling illness sweeps across the entire world. Those lucky enough to survive the first wave must face difficult challenges as the virus continue...