Walking Among Us

By Cnife15

A group of people hold on for dear life in this post-apocalyptic world. They have been lucky enough to surviv... More

Chapter 1: School of the Dead
Chapter 2: Pit Party
Chapter 3: Convenient Fist Fights
Chapter 4: The Counting Game
Chapter 5: Tunnel Vision
Chapter 6: Broken Promises
Chapter 8: Labour Problems
Chapter 9: Nature's Bounty
Chapter 10: Back From The Dead
Chapter 11: The Good Life
Chapter 12: Don't Look Back
Chapter 13: City of Champions
Chapter 14: Rock Bottom
Chapter 15: Fatal Reunions
Chapter 16: Friend or Foe
Chapter 17: The Road Ahead
Chapter 18: Crime and Punishment
Chapter 19: Gone to Hell
Chapter 20: Adapting
Chapter 21: Staying Strong
Chapter 22: Explosive Bargaining
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Trust Issues
Chapter 25: Council Meeting
Chapter 26: Destroying Bridges
Chapter 27: Daddy's Little Girl
Chapter 28: Grave Digger
Chapter 29: Starting the Engine
Chapter 30: Short Cuts
Chapter 31: Nobody Get's Left Behind
Chapter 32: Dreams VS Reality
Chapter 33: No Rest For The Heroes
Epilogue: Lost Child

Chapter 7: Winter Storm

167 4 0
By Cnife15

"We need to get back to the hotel", Ben ordered as he looked out the window, "It looks like a storm is about to hit us. We won't be able to survive the storm if we hang out around here."

"He's right! We need to move out now!" Jane agreed.

"I'll go get Ray!" Jessica offered.

"That wimps still sulking over his dead girlfriend?" Jane commented, "He needs to learn how to move on."

"His girlfriend just died!" Jessica angrily stated, "Jayme was the last bit of family that he had left!"

"I lost all of my family too. But you can't worry about the past. You need to fight to stay alive!" Jane said, looking Jessica straight in the eye.

"She was trying to stay alive! She just got unlucky!"

"I wouldn't say it was unlucky. She was stupid. It was obvious that the ceiling was about to cave in, even her wimp of a boyfriend could tell."

"She was not stupid!" Jessica yelled as she got ready to attack Jane.

"Ladies calm down! This is no time to fight. We need to go back to the hotel. Go get Ray! And be fast!" Ben demanded as he broke up the two girls. So Jessica walked down the hall towards Ray. She sat down beside him and said,

"How are you doing?"

"I don't know... I just can't believe she's gone..." Ray replied, "But I'm guessing that's you came over here to tell me that it's time to go."

"Unfortunatly that's true. There is a blizzard roliing in to town. Ben says that we need to get going."

"Okay... I'm just going to put her in the other room. I don't want to leave her here to let her be eaten by walkers."

"Sounds good. I'll be waiting right here for you." So Ray picked Jayme up and carried her into the room. He layed her down on the bed and pulled the blankets over top of her. He looked down at her for a few seconds then leaned down and said,

"I love you, Jayme." He kissed her and walked away. He left the room and locked the door. He walked towards Jessica and said, "Okay, I'm ready to go."

 "Everybody else is outside already. We just need to cross the street", Jessica said as they walked down the hallway. They got to the end of the hall and crawled out the open window. They climbed down the fire escape and walked across the street to the hotel. When they got inside and Ben asked,

"How bad is it out there?"

"It's getting pretty bad. And I don't think it will die down anytime soon", Raymond answered.

"Blizzards around these parts usually last a while around these parts", Ron stated, "We are going to have to stay inside for a while."

"Hopefully it doesn't last too long", Ben said, "We will have to get some more food soon."

"We'll let's not just stand around freezing our asses off. Let's start a fire", Jordan stated as he picked up some wood. 

"Here are some matches", Leroy said, tossing a box of matches towards Jordan, "Don't waste them. Those things are hard to come by." So Jordan grabbed a match and some paper and started the fire. He sat down and tried to warm up. Jessica sat down beside him and started to snuggle with him. Soon everybody else was sitting by the fire, trying to keep warm.

"So I think since we've got everybody sitting around the camp fire it would be a good time to tell a few stories. And what better stories are there then the stories of our lives?", Martin suggested, "I can go first if you guys wish."

"I guess we can do that", Ben agreed, "Start us off Martin."

"Okay sounds good. Well before this pandemic happened I was a certified doctor working out of Vancouver General Hospital. I had a wife a son and two daughters. They were my life. I loved all of them more than I loved myself. Then they were taken from me. We were walking down the street when we got attacked by a herd of infected. I was the only one who survived. I ran as my family got eaten alive and was lucky enough to find William, his wife Megan, and Pablo. They took me in and we fled to the country, where we found the Mary Andrews Elementary School", Martin told the group, "Somebody else's turn. Who's up next?"

"Wait! Who is Will and Megan?" Ben asked.

"That's right you guys never got to meet them", Martin said, "How about you go to bed Pablo. It's getting late." 

"Okay", Pablo said as he walked away from the group.

"Okay I guess I can tell you guys about them", Martin started to explain, "Will and Megan were Pablo's parents."

"What happened to Megan?" Josh asked, "We never met her."

"Megan died a few years ago. One day we were traveling through the woods and we got attacked by the infected. We made it out alive but Megan got scratched. And we all know what happens to a person who is scratched by an infected. But she didn't tell any of us. That night we went to bed and she was sleeping beside Will. In the middle of the night she bit Will in the leg. Will woke up and killed her. He didn't realize that she was his wife. He couldn't believe what he had just done. It wasn't long after this that his leg started to hurt. He needed medical attention right away. I knew that there was no cure for the virus so I decided to amputate his leg. If I did this then the virus wouldn't be able to spread to the rest of his body. So I preformed the operation and lucky for him the virus hadn't spread to the rest of his body. The reason he's not here right now is because he got shot a month ago."

"It makes sense why Will didn't want to talk about why he had lost his leg", Jessica stated.

"Ya... now it's somebody else's turn", Martin said.

"I guess I'll go", Ben offered, "I was a history teacher. I love to hunt, fish, trap, camp and just be outdoors. I guess those skills really helped me get this far. I'm planning on going to the quarantine zone in Toronto, that's where people can be safe from the monsters that roam this peice of shit world."

"Well this world is shitty!" Josh agreed, "But, I guess I'll go next. I was a video game designer who lived in Vancouver. I loved to party with my friends and I'm pretty sure it got me in trouble a few times. I was also part of an archery club, and I became one of the best archers at the club. But nothing really excited has happened in my life."

"I was an archeologist and Jordan was a carpenter. We were highschool sweethearts and ended up getting married before everything messed up", Jessica said, "Now we are expecting our first child together." She looked up at Jordan and kissed him.

"I'll go next", Travis said. Jordan didn't want Travis to talk about his past. He was worried that Travis would talk about the fight they had. He looked at Travis and Travis smirked, then Travis said, "As you all probably know, Jordan is my brother. We never really had a good relationship. In fact our relationship was so bad that Jordan didn't even invite me to his wedding and we haven't talked since."

"You know why I didn't invite you to the wedding Travis!" Jordan yelled as he stood up, "You got drunk and tried to have sex with Jessica! Then when I tried to stop you, you tried to beat the shit out of me!"

"I was drunk Jordan. I obviously was just making bad choices."

"You are fucking stupid that's what you are!" 

"That's enough you two!" Martin yelled, trying to break up the fight, "You are grown men and you are acting like children! Now this behaviour better end soon or you can both leave! We do not need any negative energy in the group!"

"I'm going to bed", Jordan said as he walked away glaring at Travis.

"I'm gonna go to bed as well. I think Jordan needs somebody to talk to", Jessica stated as she ran after him.

"Jordan are you okay?" Jessica asked as she climbed into bed with him.

"Of course I'm not. I fucking hate that prick", Jordan replied.

"I honestly think that you should try and make things better between two of you."

"There is no way that I'm talking to him again. I'm just so pissed off at him right now."

"You just need to be the bigger man Jordan. If you do that than things might get better between the two of you."

"There is no chance in that happening. My brother is an asshole."

"You weren't the nicest person either, Jordan."

"I'm just so pissed off at him right now."

"I know you are, but he is your only brother. You could try to be nicer to him."

"I don't know... I'll think about it", Jordan said as he kissed Jessica on the nose, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Jordan", Jessica replied back. 

It got very cold that night, and it snowed relentlessly. When they woke up the snow had stopped, but the ground was covered in about a 2 feet of snow. Ben and Leroy went outside and started to talk.

"We are going to need to leave", Ben said, "There is way too much snow on the ground."

"How do you plan on getting out of here? There will be way to much snow on the ground to drive the bus out", Leroy said.

"It will go. It's either that or freeze and starve here", Ben stated. 

"Where do you plan on taking us?" 

"We will go to Toronto. We will be safe in the quarantine zone their."

"Okay. Let's go get everybody up. We'll leave after that." So Ben and Leroy went inside and showed everybody the condition of the resort. So they packed up all of the gear and walked to the bus. When they got close to the bus they saw a group of walkers standing around the bus.

"Get down", Jane demanded, "There is no way that we are making it to the bus now. We've got to turn back."

"Wait, wait, wait", Josh said, "There is only twenty. And we have eleven people with us. We can take them."

"Are you crazy? There is no way that we can defeat them", Leroy stated.

"Me and Josh have done crazier things", Raymond added.

"Well it either that group of walkers or that group", Ben said pointing behind him. About fifty feet away from them was another group of walkers and this group was much larger than the one that was in front of them.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting to that bus", Josh said as he drew back an arrow. He sent it flying and it peirced into a walker making it fall. The walkers that were swarming the bus now noticed the group and started to walk towards them. The group fought their way through the walkers till only a few remained. Ron went to go shoot one when he realized that he had no more ammo left. He grabbed his knife and went to go stabbed the zombie when he got attacked from the back by another walker. He dropped to the ground and the two walkers swarmed over top of him. Jane saw what happened and ran over to Ron. She shot the two zombies then threw them off of Ron. When she looked back at Ron she saw a pool of blood underneath him and a scratch on his left shoulder. She climbed on top of Ron and said,

"That's a nasty scratch you got there."

"It's nothing serious. I'll be fine", Ron said as he tried to cover up his scratch.

"I don't think you will be fine Ron, "It looks like one of those geeks gave it to you", she said as she pulled out her gun.

"I'll be fine! There is no need to worry!" Ron said getting more and more nervous.

"No Ron it won't. See I think that you got that scratch from a walker. And when you get scratched by a walker, you'll turn into one yourself."

"I won't turn into one!" Ron said as he started to panick.

"This is nothing personal Ron. It's just that I want to stay alive", Jane said as she pointed her gun at his head.

"You are making a bad decision!" Ron said as he tried to move her.

"I'm just doing what's best for the group", Jane said as she pulled the trigger. She watched him die than got back up. The group had successfully defeated the rest of the walkers and were now getting on the bus. Jane ran onto the bus and said,

"Ron's dead. He got scratched by a walker and started to become one. So I was forced to kill him to protect the group."

"That sucks... Ron was a good pal", Leroy said unsure of what to make of it.

"It's okay. I'm sure he's in a better place now", Martin said trying to comfort Leroy. Leroy started up the bus and started driving. They headed towards East, where they thought they would be safe. They drove for about an hour then stopped.

"What is it?" Ben asked.

"Road's blocked. Tons of vehicles are blocking the road. We aren't going to make it through unless we move some cars", Leroy stated.

"Well we can go do that", Jordan offered as he climbed to the front of the bus.

"Good idea", Ben agreed, "The more people we have moving cars the faster we can get moving again."

"We might be able to salvage some more supplies from the cars as well", Ray stated as he walked off of the bus. A few more people got off the bus while Jessica, Randi and Martin stayed on the bus.

"I hope we find a way through soon. I don't want to be on a bus when the baby comes out", Jessica told Randi.

"That wouldn't be a very fun way to give birth, now would it?" Randi joked.

Just then Jessica felt a sharp pain in her lower back. She started to breathe heavily then looked at Randi.

Randi looked at her and asked, "What's wrong? You were fine just a second ago." It took her a moment to realize what was going on then she said, "Oh shit."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279 11 32
After a multitude of events that leaves the world in an apocalyptic state occurs different survivors must adapt to the new post apocalyptic world an...
33 3 6
A group of people travel across a post-apocalyptic land in search of escape.
1.3K 78 25
When the world that we know today brings us into the challenge of survival as the dead once return to their place on the earth, but not to live but t...
303 4 26
(A zombie apocalypse story) Virus X has spread all over the world causing mass panic. Bethany must make her way through the apocalyptic land to safet...