Those of Us Alone

By AshleyEmerson

Midori was an orphan. Hardships make up her life and she's never had it easy. When she is given a home by Mas... More

Chapter 1: Enter Midori
Chapter 2: Years Past
Chapter 3: The Fateful Night
Chapter 4: Soo-won Betrays His Friends
Character Info
Chapter 5: Into the Woods
Chapter 6: Annoyances of a Third Wheel
Chapter 7: There's No Way for Me to Actually Describe My Pain
Chapter 8: The Priest
Chapter 9: Hurtful Words, Understanding, & Rooting for HakXYona
Chapter 10: God's Will
Chapter 11: Name the Chapter Author-chan!
Chapter 12: Yoon & I Get Dragged to Hakuryuu Village
Chapter 13: I'm as Clueless as You are in This Situation
Chapter 14: New Addition
Chapter 15: Well, Now You've Pissed Me Off
Chapter 16: Kija's Strength . . . And Weaknesses
Chapter 17: The Search for Seiryuu (The Other One)
Chapter 18: We've Arrived!
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20: Awkward Sibling. . . Stuff?
Chapter 21: How Angry is Yoon?
Chapter 22: Longest Chapter EVER!
Chapter 23: Kija vs Ungrateful Villager-Who Speaks More in this Chapter?!
Chapter 24: Digging Ourselves Out of a Hole
Chapter 25: Our 'Weird' Group
Chapter 26: Names and Ports and Trouble-Oh My!
Chapter 27: Stuck Between a Rock (Jae-ha) and A Hard Place
Don't Hate Me!
Chapter 28: Memories and Fights
Chapter 29: Nighttime Comforting?
Chapter 30: Psychological Issues
Chapter 32: Intense Torture
Chapter 33: Bro-Bonding and Some Flashbacks
Chapter 34: A Dream-Like Plane
Chapter 35: Not Exactly the Type of Meeting I was Anticipating
Chapter 36: This Isn't the End
Chapter 37: The End of the Awa Arc
Chapter 38: Trauma Has Some Consequences
Chapter 39: Telling Some People is the First Step Towards Recovery
Chapter 40: A Run-In with the King
Chapter 41: Traveling Plans are Decided
Chapter 42: Every Journey has 'Pit-Stops' I Guess
Chapter 43: First Time in Chi'Shin
Chapter 44: We're Staying a Bit Longer Here Than I Thought
Chapter 45: A - Uh - Productive Night?
Chapter 46: A Familiar Place and A Familiar Face
Chapter 47: An Insane Wake-up
Chapter 48: Gaining Knowledge but also Confusion
Chapter 49: Putting My Plan Into Action
Chapter 50: Being Blushing Messes Together
Chapter 51: Down A Group Member
Chapter 52: Festivities Ended
Chapter 53: Travel Conversation has Surprising Results
Chapter 54: Memory or Nightmare? Maybe, Both?
Chapter 55: In Which Joo-doh Tries to Poison Us
Chapter 56: Everyone Needs a Little More of Tae-yon
Chapter 57: War-Council Interlude
Chapter 58: Capital Saika
Chapter 59: When Drama Ensues . . .
Chapter 60: Things Get More Heated
Chapter 61: Jae-ha's Insight on Midori
Chapter 62: Some Crying, Some Letters, and Some Leaving
Chapter 63: R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Chapter 64: Guilt
Chapter 65: Story Telling through a Letter
Chapter 66: To the Battlefield We Go
Chapter 67: In Which Tae-jun Surprises Us All
Chapter 68: Naming Chapters is Hard
Chapter 69: And You Thought Awa was Bad Before
Chapter 70: And You Guessed It! More Letters!
Chapter 71: Why are Idiots Running the Country?
Chapter 72: The Bad Idea
Chapter 73: The "Lovely" Town of Awa
Chapter 74: Public Speeches = Good Distraction?
Chapter 75: Transition~
Chapter 76: Oh No, a Filler While I Figure Out the Resolution to this Arc! XD
Chapter 77: Recollection of a Promise
Chapter 78: Planning Session

Chapter 31: You're Oddly Excited to Be Walking into Human Trafficking

1.5K 50 4
By AshleyEmerson

Midori's POV

It wasn't long before we were all ready (in the sense that we looked the part, I was still looking for the mentality). Soon, Yoon, Yona, and I were making our way onto the deck.

While Yoon and I spoke quietly about the plan, a shadow loomed over me. Yoon stopped talking, and I turned to face Hak in slight annoyance, "Why? It's slightly cold out, the least you could do is let me bask in the sun's rays." There was a thick silence between the two of us. Poor Yoon couldn't really move with the unnatural silence that was between the two of us.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

Though his demeanor was slightly relaxed, the animosity in his voice promised anger, so I put up a brave face and followed him off the boat and away far enough so that those on it would not be able to see or hear us.

"Hak -!" He moved closer to me, his emotional control slightly breaking as he backed me into a tree. The silence hadn't lessened in the slightest, rather it became more prominent as time passed, "Ha -!" His fist slammed into the tree beside my head. In my over-emotional state, I let out a very high pitched 'scream' of sorts.

My eyes widened, and it was all I could do to keep from crying.

~~~~~

Hak's POV (A/N: OHOHO, I haven't done this in a while)

Midori's scream had been a surprise. Usually, she'd never show her intimidation, but today seemed to be different.

I froze. What was I doing?

My sister - who had already gone through so much - was staring at me as if I was a monster. I didn't want to scare her, I just . . . "M-Midori - "

Gasping for air, she whimpered, "I - I . . . Y-yona will be f-fine!" I tried to place my hand on her shoulder to calm her down but "N-n-n-no worries! I - I can han-handle it!" She was shaking.

Taking a step forward, I try to calm her down, "Midor-!"

"E-Everything will go g-great, you'll see!" She shakily moved back towards the boat - keeping her eyes locked on me, "B-but, y-you know, I-I have to get b-back - so we can-can head out! S-s-s-so, I - I am going b-back. S-s-s-see you!"

I was stuck to the ground watching Midori, my sister, flee from the scene - away from me. When I could no longer see her, I felt my knees lock.

I hit the ground, my hands clenched into fists as I realized what had just happened.

1) I just scared Midori. 

It wasn't even like a jump-scare, a well-natured scare! I betrayed whatever trust we had built up over the years! And just because her past was a secret! What kind of brother am I?

2) Midori is now even more on edge.

She already seemed unstable!

What have I done?!

~~~~~

Midori's POV

As I arrived back to the boat, Yona and Yoon were already descending onto dry land. 

"Midori!" Yoon yelled at me. I took a deep breath and looked up, a fake smile adorning my face. I waved as the two came closer to me.

Yona threw her arms around me as she finally reached me, "I was wondering where you had gone!"

I held her close and then released her, facing my two companions, "Sorry, sorry! Hak just had some . . . encouraging words of advice for me." Yoon, who had been there with me when I left with Hak, looked slightly alarmed - he must have felt the anger radiating off of Hak as well. 

He did not bring up that, but there was a sympathetic look thrown my way before Yona looped her arm through my own, "Let's go!"

"You're oddly excited to be walking into human trafficking," I spoke dryly - trying to break the tension in the air.

~~~~~

"So you say you want to work here?" The man in charge here spoke, taking in our full appearance.

I fiddled with my earrings while putting on a shy smile, "We heard this was the best place for a girl to find a job."

This man looked the three of us up and down, from me to Yoon (as Yona was between us). I had to place my other hand behind my back to hide my tightly clenched fist from him. There was a moment of silence as he looked 'assessed' the three of us, and I began to get slightly worried. Just as I thought we were home-free, his eyes came back to me with high scrutiny, "Are you from here?"

It was common knowledge between those who worked for Kumuji that I was not born in Awa, but nevertheless, I spoke with confidence, "I was born and raised here - I'm the daughter of a lowly fisherman who recently got injured at sea."

I didn't look at my companions to get their reactions, but I could feel the air lighten.

Well, until he spoke up again, "I'd like to ask you some more questions, in private." My eyes slightly widened, but I kept up my smile. "As for you two," he said addressing Yona and Yoon, "you can wait in that room over there."

Yoon, blessed yoon, spoke up whilst taking Yona by the arm, "Of course, thank you." Our eyes met for a brief moment as I mouthed, Cut all ties with me, Now. "And it was wonderful meeting you, I hope you get a job here."

I nodded, speaking shakily, "Good luck to the both of you as well."

~~~~~

"Right through here, ma'am," said the man who had greeted my original group earlier. I honestly cannot believe that I managed to already get myself separated from the others.

"Of course," as the atmosphere got more morose, so did I, trying to play off of the feeling.

Man lead me into a room with a chair, and before he left me, he had asked me to sit there, so, I sat.

~~~~~

The room was literally anything but light. There was no form of light so to speak of, but as I had been sitting here for over a half hour(by my calculations, anyway), my eyes had more-or-less adjusted.

But, of course, life hates me, so there was no real surprise in the door opening and light blinding me momentarily. Although it was only a moment, that was all my assailants needed because I was held to the chair by a number of people before a drug-doused cloth was shoved over my nose and mouth, effectively knocking me out.

As I faded into another - slightly familiar - form of darkness, I recall these words that made my blood run cold, "Good work boys, this one'll be so happy to see me."

________________________________________________________________________________

Soooooo, I'm sorry I have just got to updating.

I am happy to see that many people seem to love this story - which is great because I love it too. I am hoping that I will be able to update more often, but as it is mid semester in college for me as a computer science major . . . it's going to be a little hard.

Either way, I have so many plans for this book, some of you are getting at some of the more complex parts that I plan to add to this book.

This here is a complex part, and it requires mostly creative license from me as the following scenes are not going to be from the manga (or anime - as we haven't reached the end of that yet). I will be following the manga - sort of - but I may diverge slightly after this arc - just as a fair warning.

HOWEVER, I do want to recommend reading the manga - especially for this book - as I am writing this to correlate with what is happening. In the future, when I diverge a bit, I will not write what is going on word for word from the manga. I do like to get creative, and that is what I personally think that makes works like this so great, so while things I may allude to or slightly touch on in the future will be within the story, just don't expect me to rewrite the whole story straight from the manga. I'm just warning you now, because there will be things like spoilers from the manga - as I don't have a defining stopping point for this book yet.

So, yeah, I have big plans for this book, but updates may be sparse. When May rolls around (that's the end of my spring semester), then it'll be more likely that updates will come more frequently.

I hear y'all, I do. Thanks for being so supportive!!!

~Ashley

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 5.1K 36
Everyone knew about King Il's two daughters. The youngest, Yona, was known for her vibrant red hair in Kouka. Grown inside the castle her entire life...
94.7K 3.8K 54
Yona of the Dawn Fanfiction. (WARNING ADHD AND DYSLEXIC DON'T MIX SPELLING ERRORS WILL BE THERE! PLEASE KINDLY POINT THEM OUT AND I'LL FIX IT THANKS...
48.8K 1.1K 25
Yona was the beloved princess of the Kouka kingdom. After her mother was killed the King felt it was best to keep Yona's sister, y/n out of the publi...
99.4K 3K 25
You y/n, former personal servant to the late princess Yona, are traveling around Kouka kingdom after the death of king-il II and his precious daughte...