The Survivors

By WynterReign

A plane crash lands on a remote island in the Pacific Ocean. Only twelve survivors. No adults and no parents... More

Author's Note
Official "The Survivors" Trailer (REMADE)
Character Guide
Prologue
Chapter 1-Chaos on the Beach
Chapter 2-Heroics
Chapter 3-The Leader Rises
Chapter 4-Keep Calm, Don't Panic
Chapter 5-Checkup
Chapter 6-The Bonfire
Chapter 7-Transformers
Chapter 8-Teren's Little Adventure
Author's Note 2
Chapter 10-The Funeral
Chapter 11-Ayden Decides He's a Helpful Jerk
Chapter 12-Productive and Confused
Chapter 13-The Storm
Chapter 14-Lullabies and Marco Polo
Chapter 15-The Adventures of Sarah and Lukas
Chapter 16-Return to the Beach
Chapter 17-What Remains
Chapter 18-Elliot's Special Mission
Chapter 19-Jennifer's Moonlit Walk
Chapter 20-Darkness Lurks in the Shadows
Chapter 21-Lukas the Night Watch
Chapter 22-Go Find Water
Chapter 23-The Explanation
Chapter 24-The Night Comes
Chapter 25-Thalia's Grieving Day
Author's Note 4
Chapter 26-Samuel Hunts
Chapter 27-Brothers Unite
Chapter 28-Shark for Dinner
Chapter 29-Bree's Story
Chapter 30-Less Granola Bars, More Food
Chapter 31-Thalia's Secret
Chapter 32-Teren's Letter
Chapter 33-Sandcastles
Chapter 34-Shane Plots Revenge
Chapter 35-Guilt and Charity Balls
Chapter 36-Jennifer's Curse
Chapter 37-Ayden's Encounter
Chapter 38-Shock and Awe
Chapter 39-Sunset Memories
Chapter 40-Darkness Lurks Inside Us All
Chapter 41-Ayden's Lazy Morning
Chapter 42-The Attack
Chapter 43-The Return
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
ANNOUNCEMENT | RELEASE OF REIMAGINED EDITION

Chapter 9-Good Morning

1.9K 138 52
By WynterReign

I stare at the ocean waves that constantly crash together making a swoosh sound. I hear the distant calls of the jungle behind me, mixed with birds and bugs. The island is alive, truly alive. And we're not the only ones anymore. My mother is somewhere on the island being kept by mutated men. I get a sick feeling that there's more secrets this island holds from us.

It's constantly stressing me. Now I'm worried for my mom's safety and our group now. I can't slip up, more lives are at stake now. And we're being hunted. I think back to last night when Teren spoke for the first time in years. His voice was deep but not like a bass, smooth and almost calming. The moment he said those words to me when he came back, I flipped out.

I made everyone come back to make sure I wasn't getting drunk after effects. Turns out, he really was speaking. Everyone was shocked he could talk and asked a million questions. Then he explained his little adventure into the jungle. He confirmed that my mom was alive and he chased her inside.

Then he was attacked by three large men. He told us one had literal snake eyes and fangs sticking out of his mouth. Another had glowing brown eyes and all of them had wolf tails. They growled like real wolves and were the ones howling. He told us that they were going to take him like they took Leigh.

He tripped once and they managed to get him but then he bit one of their arms and made a run for it. Then he was tackled and then pinned down. Then he tells us they poured water down his mouth, tipping his head back. That got mixed reactions from everyone. Ayden cursed, Jennifer gasped, Samuel stared in shock, Sarah glared, and I was the only one with civilized words and asked why they did that.

He said he was screaming when he was tackled, that's what we heard. One of the guys actually asked, not doing anything and his captor answered that Teren is probably dehydrated. So apparently that was the solution. They finally stopped and Teren paused for a moment. Then continued, "Then I insulted them, talking normally for the first time in years."

"Oh my God," Bree whispers stunned. We stand in a circle near the giant bonfire. Teren nods at them, "I don't know how, or what happened to my voice but that's all I know. But then after they started talking and said they should be looking for Leigh instead and to let me go. They know we're here and said there's no way off the island. They'll come for us soon, saying they need time to 'prepare'."

"That's not possible," Sarah mumbles, "mutations like that can't happen to humans."

"Well apparently it can," Ayden sneers shooting her a look.

"This is crazy, it's just crazy," Jennifer shakes her head, staring down at her bare feet.

"So night watches for sure," Samuel comments crossing his arms in front of him.

"Yeah," I say numbly, watching the jungle warily.

"This is-, what are we going to do?" Shane asks looking at the jungle fearfully as well.

I see everyone look at me and I take my cue. I open my mouth but no words come. What do we do? If Mom couldn't escape... no, we have a plane filled with machines to contact the mainland. But most of it melted. Shoot we should have raided the plane first! Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid! What else can I do? We could... build a raft...

"We can build a raft," Teren says, taking my idea. I give him a curious look feeling a bit weird not making the orders.

Jennifer nods, "That sounds good."

I feel a surge of jealousy finding myself wanting her praise. Shut up Levi, it's fine. You don't even want to lead them. Or do I?

"We should start gathering the plane parts." I cut in, feeling a little odd trying to take charge, "Pile them up and start trying to put them together. We can use sticks and light the tops on fire to melt the metal on the sides of the metal pieces, then we can meld them together. It that works then we'll have a raft. We should also use clothes, blankets, and luggage to sew together a sail. Anyone extra can try finding more phones and maybe attempt getting into the cockpit," I say confidently, now knowing what to do.

"Whoa, how did you come up with all of that?" Bree asks curiously, slightly cocking her head.

I shrug, "I don't know... it just comes..."

"Whatever you're doing, it's working," Jennifer jokes and winks at me. It's still pitch black and probably the middle of the night, but the light of the bonfire helps me see them better. The shadows dance over their features making them look unfamiliar in the dark.

"Let's stay out of the jungle, just in case. And we need guards, weapons should be another priority," Ayden says confidently and looks over at me. Then at Bree with a sadistic look, "Maybe we find that police officer that was hanging around Bree on the plane."

Bree stiffens and then she shrinks down seeming a bit afraid of Ayden. I clench my left hand slowly and glare at Ayden, "Stop it, you don't know that it was even her's," I say sharply meeting his gaze.

Ayden scoffs, "Of course we do, she's the one in handcuffs."

Everyone freezes and looks at Bree. I look at her too feeling confused. But she's so nice, how can she be a criminal?

"What did you do?" Samuel asks slowly, and smoothly moves to Jennifer's side.

Bree shrinks back even more looking very guilty.

I inhale sharply and turn on Ayden, "Stop it Ayden, it's probably no big deal. And I'm pretty sure you're not very clean either. I heard you talking to that lady on the plane in the red dress, inviting her to the bathroom with you. You're sick," I spat glaring at him.

Everyone goes quiet and eyes on Ayden. Ayden doesn't back down very quickly, "Oh sure, I'm the bad guy. Don't think that you're out of this so easily, how is it that your mother is on this deserted island that we just happened to crash on? Who's the say that you didn't help the plane crash to get your precious mother?"

I exhale sharply and feel a low growl start in my throat, "Are you seriously blaming THIS ON ME!?" I explode and storm over to him ready for a fight. I need someone to take this out on. I guess Ayden needs it too because he starts coming towards me.

"STOP IT!" Jennifer shouts desperately. I raise my left arm and swing as hard as I can throwing my weight. Ayden narrowly dodges and then shoves me to the ground. I get a mouthful of sand and a surge of fury. I shove myself to my feet as fast as I can and attack Ayden. I slam into him and grab his arms and we hit the ground.

"STOP! This isn't the way to solve this! Fighting won't answer anything!" Jennifer pleads loudly, being promptly ignored.

I growl and throw punches that are aiming for his face. He screams and violently kicks his legs, hurting my stomach and chest. We fight like wild animals, thrashing and growling, trying to kill each other. I'm done taking his crap! I'm done being insulted! He should have just died on the plane! Ayden grabs my neck and throws me to the side, sending sand flying in the air.

He lunges for me with arms outstretched with rage burning in his eyes. He rakes my bare chest with his nails and then grabs at my arms. I punch his chest with my left arm and he cries out. I cry out as he knees my stomach and creates more injuries. My chest stings from his nails. Suddenly Ayden is yanked back by his collar and thrown onto the sand.

Samuel stands over me with narrowed eyes. Then he turns on Ayden, "You son of-!" Ayden begins but then screams in pain. I sit up sharply with wide eyes. Samuel is on top of him with Ayden completely pinned down and face down. His arm held behind his back in an awkward angle that doesn't look natural for it.

"Stop, it," Samuel seethes leaning down, saying it into his ear, "It seems like you wanna die on this island. Insulting people won't get you far, and you'll be the first one eaten. So if you start trashing people again, I swear I will drag you into the jungle, tie you to a tree, and beat you with a stick and maybe even hand you over to our new enemies," he threatens in a dark voice that give me shivers.

Everyone stares at them horrified, scared, or stunned. Jennifer is covering her mouth, watching with giant eyes.

"And another thing," he continues slightly cocking his head, "if you come near Jenny, I will drown you myself while carving my name into your chest with my nails to make sure you know who is responsible for killing you. And no adult is here to stop me," he growls and yanks his arm back. Ayden whimpers and I see him shrink.

"Got that?" Samuel hisses into his ear.

I see Ayden's head nod quickly. Samuel growls sharply and then stands up brushing sand off his pants. He turns to us with a dark look that melts away and is replaced with the cool calmness that Samuel normally has. He walks over to me and holds out his hand. I swallow, staring up at him with a new perspective. I saw him as a calm protective big brother. But now I see him as a dark torturer with a fierce protectiveness.

A loyalty that is extremely valuable. I grab his hand with my good hand and he pulls me up easily. He's extremely strong and a bit more terrifying. I'm not sure if that's the hangover talking or if he's sober now. Either way, he's capable of doing that and it's not a big stretch to imagine him doing that. Ayden stays on the ground looking defeated. Someone put him in his place.

"Levi," Samuel says in his low voice, "I'll follow you, as long as you let me have my own supply of resources. I'll share when needed but I need security, it's for Jenny too," he says seriously staring into my eyes. He's taking care of priorities. Maybe he's smarter than I thought. Taking down Ayden earned him respect and fear. Now he asks for freedom for his own resources.

I inhale deeply looking around at everyone, who watch Samuel with those new emotions he's earned. "Yes..." I say slowly meeting his gaze, "but remember not to take too much and contribute when needed."

He nods once, "Okay, and... another thing."

"Yes?"

He leans close and whispers into my ear, "If you need a deputy, an enforcer, let me be it."

I reel back shocked, "A deputy?" I whisper making sure the others don't hear.

He nods, "Just in case... things get crazy. People will do a lot of things in fear, you need order when that happens."

I bite my lip feeling nervous just thinking about that, "That won't happen for a very long time. We'll be rescued by then," I reassure him, mainly myself.

He cocks his head slightly giving me a look, "You and I both know there's no way off this island. Unless a plane flies over the island, but that's highly unlikely since the instruments don't work anyways. You should start planning for the future."

I sigh lowering my head, "We can't think like that."

"No, they can't. Trust me, I love my sister and I can't tell her that. But just some advice, start saving things for the future. People go crazy when they are trapped, it's just a matter of time. And with those guys in the jungle? It'll come sooner than you think. So be ready, I'm at your command," he whispers and then pulls back looking back at Jennifer.

"What was that?" Shane asks sharply crossing his arms, "Something secret?"

"Just-," I put my hand up and then drop it, my body is sluggish from the hangover and my head aches painfully. I can't go on like this for much longer.

Samuel walks over to Jennifer and whispers something to her. I sigh and run a hand through my messy hair, "Okay guys, I know it's crazy but we need to get sleep."

"How can we sleep with all of this going on?" Sarah questions putting her hands on her hips.

"If you can't sleep, take the night watch."

She groans loudly and mumbles something under her breath. She crosses her arms and lowers her head. I rub my eyes tiredly, getting extremely annoyed with everyone.

"I'm sleepy," Elliot complains quietly. I realize he was standing there the entire time, he's been so quiet... I wonder if he's doing okay. I turn to him and nod, "Okay Elliot."

He yawns and rubs his eyes with his wrist, still holding his teddy bear, "Sleep with me Daddy," he says sleepily and walks over to his blanket. I sigh biting my lip looking up at everyone.

"Sleep is good," Bree mumbles, her eyes betraying her guilt. What did she do? Or was Ayden being a jerk like always? Everyone mumbles in agreement and starts going back to their beds. Samuel meets my gaze and nods. I sigh not wanting to deal with that right now. I walk towards Elliot's spot to find he's made a bed in the sand. He dug into the sand making a little dip and is curled up inside with his blanket over him. He uses another blanket for the bottom and it goes up and over the small bump of sand from the hole.

He holds his teddy close and stares up at me with innocent eyes. "What's going on Daddy?"

I sigh and just shrug, "Big kid stuff, nothing you need to worry about."

He nods slowly and then move around in his little hole. "I'm going to get my stuff, I'll be right back," I tell him quietly. He nods. I walk back over to my blanket and jacket and scoop it up, dusting sand off them. It's everywhere and it's starting to get on my nerves.

"Levi."

I look up to see Teren. He looks back at the jungle, "I'll be on watch tonight," he says distantly.

I nod, "Thanks Teren, and hey," I pat his arm, slightly smiling, "you got your voice back."

He breaks into a grin, "I can't tell you how happy I am."

"Well you can now," I joke playfully. He laughs and then stops, surprised. Then he smiles wider, "It's been awhile since I've laughed."

"Just wait until you get back to LA, the world will explode when they hear you got your voice back," I tell him, nodding my head.

He nods back, "Yeah, I think the fangirls will die of heart attacks."

"They sure will."

I look back to see Jennifer standing there with a sweet smile. She walks up to us holding her pillow under one arm, "I'm so happy you got your voice back Teren," she says kindly.

He nods, "Thanks Jennifer."

"Oh call me Jenny," she says breezily, then turns to me. "You too."

I nod, "Okay."

"So where are you guys sleeping? Sammy is taking watch so I'm all alone," she explains gesturing to her pillow.

"Oh, well I just asked Levi to take watch," Teren says shrugging, then looks at jungle. I see Samuel sitting criss-cross watching the jungle holding a small stick.

Jenny glances back at him, "He said he wants to."

"Maybe two on watch will be good," Teren says brightly, then nods at me, "I'll go over there and talk to him. You guys get some sleep, I'm wide awake."

Then he runs off towards Samuel. I rub my eyes feeling them drooping already. "So..."

"I'm sleeping with Elliot, he asked me too," I answer her dropping my hands.

She nods slowly, "Could I join you?"

"Sleep with me?" I joke with a smirk.

She gasps and then smacks my left arm, making a sharp knock. She winces and retreats her hand, "Whoa that's solid."

I cringe at those words, "Uh huh."

"So I guess that's why you didn't want us to check you earlier," she guesses.

"Mhm."

"Well, back to my question..."

I shrug, "Sure, if you want."

Then I start walking back towards Elliot worried if he's panicking. I don't know what to expect from him now, he seems calm but then I see the terror in his eyes. I think about his dead parents nervous to tell him. Should I even tell him? Maybe when we get rescued... but then that's cruel.

Elliot sits up and pats next to him, "Daddy sleep here."

I manage to smile and nod at me. I sit down next to him and lay out my blanket and ball up my jacket. Jenny sits down next to me and sets up her bed.

"What's your name?" Elliot asks bluntly.

Jenny smiles sweetly at him reminding me of my own mother, "I'm Jenny."

"Jenny..." he mumbles looking down. Then brightens, "Are you going to be my mommy?"

She stifles a laugh and smiles at him, "Well I don't know."

Elliot giggles, "That means you are married to Daddy."

I freeze at those words. I look at him slowly, "Uhhhh Elliot..."

"Levi," Jenny interrupts giving me a playful look, "just let him."

I sigh giving her a look, before whispering into her ear, "He's getting attached, you can't let him believe that."

She pulls back with a concerned look and then leans in again, "At least he is having some fun with it. He's only a kid, trauma like this is too much for him. Just make it a game and it'll be fine."

I sigh and lean back, leaning on my right arm with my left in my lap. Then I smile at Elliot, "Sure, she's Mommy."

Then he lights up and then jumps up quickly. He jumps over my legs and tackles Jenny. She yelps surprised but starts laughing, laying on her back on the floor. Elliot sits on her stomach and leans down hugging her tightly, "Mommy!"

I stifle a laugh and watch the two of them. Elliot looks over at me, his head on her chest, "Daddy come!"

"Yeah Daddy, come," Jenny jokes playfully and kicks me with her foot.

I roll my eyes and scoot closer and put my hand on his tiny back. His blonde curls are tangled together and his blue eyes sparkle with amusement. I never got to have a little brother but I wonder if this is the feeling you get. The sense of protectiveness and love.

I finally convince Elliot to go to bed and I lay down staring up at the beautiful stars. I see streaks of sea green and blue in the stream of stars, the Milky Way. The sky is so endless and vast it makes me feel small. I close my eyes and fall asleep quickly forgetting all my worries for a little while. Now I stare at the ocean line as the sun slowly rises.

I have been sorting all the chaos in my head. Enjoying the silence for a while. My hangover has finally faded which helps. I lay on my right side staring at the ocean. Elliot is right in front of me in his little nest sleeping peacefully, clutching that teddy bear of his. I wonder what he named it. I feel a bit better about things today than yesterday. The shock of the plane crash has worn off completely and all I'm thinking about is guards and supplies. And the funeral.

I smell the strong smell of the salt water and jungle leaves. The wind has fallen silent and the waves are small ripples in the water. The sky is fading into light blue reminding me of baby blue. The sun's halo is seen over the waves but the sun has yet to come up. Streaks of pink paint across the light blues seeming delicate and fragile.

The stars are winking out, one by one. The darkness scurrying away from the bright light and going somewhere else. It's a new day, and it's going to be different. The sand at the shore is damp and is rushed over with white foamy ocean water. The smoke from the back end of the plane has disappeared.

The bonfire still burns but the giant flames has died down. The plane itself stopped burning a while ago which is good I guess. We need to go inside today. I hear Jenny's blanket moving and I hear her moan quietly. Then she falls silent. My head rests on my jacket and I feel my right arm being pushed deeper into the sand because it's under my body.

My left arm is resting close to me, curled up and almost hidden under the blanket. I wish I never told them, but I'm also surprised they reacted the way they did. But then again, how else would they react? It's a matter of pride, showing them my arm is showing my weakness. But then again, it's a metal arm that can probably break someone's jaw if I punch hard enough. My weakness is my strength.

"Levi?" Jenny whispers from behind. I slowly roll onto my back and then look over at her lazily. Her silky blonde hair is a bit frizzy and coated with sand. Bits of sand cover her soft cheeks. Her blue and green eyes are soft with gentle innocence. Her long eyelashes flutter a couple times. I realize she's pretty cute, that most of the girls are.

I give her a small smile, feeling innocent as well, "Good morning," I say quietly hoping my breath isn't really bad right now.

She smiles back, "Good morning."

"How'd you sleep?" I ask, feeling calm for once. I guess in the morning you feel the most innocent. Everything doesn't hit you right away, you have to remember everything when you wake up.

"Good," she answers quietly as she stretches her legs. She's wearing light blue jeans that are rolled up with a white tanktop. Her white chiffon shirt is balled up next to her. Her blanket is shifted letting me see parts of her. Her pillow is under her head, it looks very fluffy. I'm a bit jealous.

"You?"

"I slept like a rock."

She giggles, "That's good."

We fall silent, just looking at each other for a while. I listen for Elliot making sure he's still sleeping. He needs it.

"So you have everything planned out?" she asks curiously, her eyes slowly widening as she wakes up.

I nod, "Yeah."

"Must be a lot of pressure," she says as she rolls onto her side and putting her arms under her pillow.

I smile wryly, "I'm trying not to think about that part."

Her eyes widen, "Oh! Sorry!"

I smirk and shake my head, "It's fine."

She sighs and looks up slightly to see behind me. Then her mouth melts into a beautiful smile, "It's pretty out here."

I nod, "Yeah it is."

"Another day, another mission."

"Mhm."

I look up at the fading black sky and inhale deeply feeling relaxed. I know today will probably be more stressful so I need to relax while I can. I force my mind to calm down but it continues to work at full speed.

Then I feel her soft hand intertwine with mine. I jump and look over at her surprised. She is now laying on her back staring up at the sky. Her hand is so soft and delicate...

"Will we be okay?" she asks distantly.

I don't answer. I'm not sure if I believe me yet.

She looks over at me slowly, "Levi?"

I look over at her, "Yes, we'll be okay."

She smiles seeming a little relieved, "Good."

"Good morning," I tell her making a little joke.

She chuckles softly, "Good morning."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 386 79
Luna Vis woke up one morning, or rather one night, to the dim light of the moon. It was a day that started like any other, but turned out unlike any...
30 1 1
A mysterious world... ... a young orphan girl, alone, adrift on a dangerous ocean... ... an ocean with countless Islands! Will the girl find friends...
10.9K 649 35
❝IT STARTED OUT AS A SIMPLE PLANE TRIP AND IT ENDED AS A FIGHT TO STAY ALIVE❞ Inspired by the Netflix Series "LOST" Cover by iamdaisy2
728 64 19
In the quiet desert village of Dey, living among the sand dunes and mirages, existed an anomaly - me. I was different, born without the ability to re...