Worlds Colliding (Pretty Litt...

By heartofice97

It has been a year since Alison DiLaurentis has disappeared, leaving her friends and her family in her wake... More

characters & outfit links
chapter 1 - Pilot
chapter 2 - The Jenna Thing
chapter 3 - To Kill a Mocking Girl
chapter 4 - Can You Hear Me Now?
chapter 5 - Reality Bites Me
chapter 6 - There's No Place Like Homecoming
chapter 7 - The Homecoming Hangover
chapter 8 - Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone
chapter 10 - Keep Your Friends Close
chapter 11 - Moments Later
chapter 12 - Salt Meets Wound
chapter 13 - Know Your Frenemies
chapter 14 - Careful What U Wish 4
chapter 15 - If At First You Don't Succeed, Lie, Lie Again
chapter 16 - Je Suis une Amie
chapter 17 - The New Normal
chapter 18 - The Badass Seed
chapter 19 - A Person of Interest
chapter 20 - Someone to Watch Over Me
chapter 21 - Monsters in the End
chapter 22 - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Bloopers

chapter 9 - The Perfect Storm

548 23 11
By heartofice97

Outfits in the external link 

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", outside the school, Mara and Wilden were talking.

Emily: (voice over) "Previously on Worlds Colliding (Pretty Little Liars)"

Wilden walked closer to Mara. "You might end up hurting the wrong people. Including embarrassing and hurting yourself."

Mara crossed her arms over her chest, unintimidated. "That threat works both ways, you know. So, you do anything to hurt my sisters, or their friends, or my ex-boyfriend, then you're the one that's gonna end up getting embarrassed or hurt. Maybe even lose your job, your place in this town." Wilden looked nervous about whatever Mara knew. Mara smirked, knowing that she had him beat, walking closer, making him back away from her and her car. "And if you don't leave them alone, I will find a way to make you leave them alone."

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the kitchen of the temporary DiLaurentis House, the girls were talking about the bracelet that Jason had given them.

Pen was weirded out and in shock. "Someone made a copy of Alison's bracelet."

Madison gestured between herself, Pen, Lucy and Peyton. "Yeah, and made sure that the four of us would find it."

From 1.05 "Reality Bites Me", in Ezra's apartment, Ezra and Aria were sitting together.

"Aria, let's get real," Ezra told her. "In theory, we are a lot more wrong than we are right."

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the kitchen of the Marin House, Madison and Noel were talking.

Noel nodded. "A minute ago, when I got you to laugh, I was thinking about going in for a kiss. But now I'll wait."

Madison smiled, nodding.

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the kitchen of the Marin House, Lucas handed the envelope to Hanna. Hanna looked inside, seeing the cash.

Lucas: (voice over from 1.08 Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone) "You put something online, somebody somewhere's willing to buy it."

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the school multipurpose room, everyone was holding the memorial for Alison. Jason and Mara were talking.

"I believe that there is a way to live on even if you have to live on with the pain, and to do that, you have to find a way to move on," Mara told him.

Later, the girls were giving their speeches.

Emily started her speech. "That corner of the park is going to be a safe place. Where you can go and sit, read a book, and just think. You should think about Alison while you're there."

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in flashback at the swimming hole, Alison looked at Emily. "Who do you want to take there?"

From 1.07 "The Homecoming Hangover", in the park, Pen and Evan were talking together.

"My mom thinks it's for the best that either she or my dad move out of the house for a little bit, but they don't know which one is gonna move out yet," Evan told her.

From 1.07 "The Homecoming Hangover", outside the Montgomery House, Ella was getting ready to leave, having packed her things into her car. Byron was packing the rest of her stuff. Once she was in the car, Ella drove away.

Ella: (voice over from 1.07 The Homecoming Hangover) "If you won't leave that house, then I will."

From 1.07 "The Homecoming Hangover", in the foyer of the McCoy House, Dakota and Jean were standing together, facing Chris.

Dakota shook her head, taking a deep breath to add volume and strength to her voice. "I don't want you here."

"You heard her," Jean told him in a sad whisper.

Chris looked as if he would cry. "I promise, I'll be different. I'll change."

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the school library, Spencer and Peyton were talking to Jenna.

"Alison was done with you," Jenna told them. "She said she was afraid of you. Is that why one of you did what you did?"

From 1.08 "Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone", in the park, Someone unseen was walking up to the memorial bench and tiles set up for Alison. Whoever it was started to destroy the tiles with a shovel, then the birdbath, tossing down all the flowers and kicking over all the candles.

---- / -----

Day One

Night - Hastings House - Kitchen 

Spencer and Peyton were studying at their house, sitting at the counter.

"This is insane," Peyton told her. "How many words do they expect me to learn in one night?"

Spencer was holding the cue cards to help her. "Stringent."

"Uh, tough," Peyton answered. "Inflexible. It's not like you're gonna actually use 'em."

Spencer read the next word. "Meretricious."

"I mean, it's not like you go to college and you just start speaking a completely different language," Peyton told her.

"It's about getting into college," Spencer told her. "Peyton, focus. Meretricious."

"Um, phony, flashy," Peyton answered, eating snacks.

"Mm-hmm," Spencer told her. "Uh, Pey, why are you still eating that?"

"'Cause it's here," Peyton answered.

"Put it in the garbage," Spencer told her.

"Then I'd have to stand over the garbage and eat it," Peyton told her.

Spencer gave her a look, moving onto the next word. "Besotted."

"Infatuated, enamored, in love with," Peyton answered.

"See, you're not doing as bad as you think you are," Spencer told her.

"Yeah, but it's not the fact that I don't know it, it's the fact that I hate having to learn it," Peyton told her.

"Another sign that you are an outsider in this family," Spencer told her. "Hello, I am taking the SATs in less than 12 hours, and you are taking the PSATs in less than 12 hours. Can we focus?"

"Okay, Spencer, I do not need to know any more big words," Peyton told her. "You've already taught me to be scary enough to anyone under 50. "

"I'm not scary," Spencer told her. She reconsidered. "Am I scary?"

"A little," Peyton answered. "I am even scarier than you, though."

"Yes, you are," Spencer told her. Peyton's phone was vibrating. Spencer looked nervous as Peyton checked the text. "A?"

"No," Peyton answered. "The smoking hot ball boy at the country club."

Spencer chuckled. "What is going on with you and Alex? Is he back from that tournament?"

"Yeah," Peyton answered. "He's back."

"And?" Spencer asked.

"And it's good," Peyton answered. Spencer gave her a look. Peyton smiled. "It's so good. I want it to last, but I'm afraid I'm gonna blow it."

"So when can I officially call him the boyfriend?" Spencer asked.

Peyton shrugged.

Veronica walked in.

"Hey, Mom," Peyton told her.

"Hi, girls," Veronica told them. "Oh, what smells so good?"

"Garlic bread," Peyton answered. "Want some?"

Veronica shook her head, looking exhausted. "I can't. God, I miss food. Eat some butter for me, will you?" She looked at her phone. "Why do I have so many messages?"

Spencer looked at Peyton. "Hey, maybe you should ask Alex to--"

Peyton whispered to her. "Stop. Not now."

Spencer whispered back. "Mom still doesn't know?"

Peyton whispered. "Like I said, I want it to last."

---- -----

Marin House - Kitchen 

Madison and Hanna were studying, getting ready to call it a night.

"Hey, what did Noel say to you after the memorial?" Hanna asked. "I saw Noel Kahn hug you. And he did not wanna let go."

"Talk about not wanting to let something go," Madison told her teasingly.

"So, are you gonna give him a chance?" Hanna asked. "I mean, he's smart, he's cute... his dad owns, like half of Rhode Island. And he's got great lips."

"His dad?" Madison asked.

"Noel," Hanna answered. "Ew. Seriously, Madison. You and Noel would look amazing together."

"Can you just drop it?" Madison asked. "Please? I'm not looking for anything more than a friend."

"Why?" Hanna asked. "I mean, don't you have enough on Facebook? Besides, don't you want someone real? Someone you can, I don't know, scratch and sniff?"

Madison laughed. "Wow. I cannot believe you just said that. Can we just go pass out, because we have a big test tomorrow?"

Hanna smiled. "Sure."

---- -----

Fields House - Emily's Room 

Emily was just getting home, covered in mug, taking off her jacket, getting a change of clothes, locking the door. She put her bag underneath her bed, starting to cry. Her phone rang. She pulled it out to look at the text from A.

There's only so much you can bury, Emily. You're not done with me yet.

-- A

---- -----

Opening Credits

(Song:) Secret - The Pierces

A closeup of Lucy's brown eyes showed her applying mascara to her lashes.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Got a secret."

Dakota applied lipgloss to her lips with a small brush.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Can you keep it?"

Spencer fastened her black high heel.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Swear this one you'll save."

Hanna curled a piece of her blonde hair.

Madison painted her nails pink.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Better lock it."

Aria applied eyeshadow to her eye.

The Pierces: (voice over) "In your pocket."

Pen stood next to Alison's coffin, closing her eyes.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Taking this one."

Emily folded Alison's arms over her chest.

The Pierces: (voice over) "To the grave."

Mara, Lucy and Emily closed the coffin.

The Pierces: (voice over) "If I show you then I know you."

The girls were standing around Alison's coffin, all in black funeral dresses.

The Pierces: (voice over) "Won't tell what I said."

There was a closeup of Pen. She put a finger to her lips. "Shh."

The Pierces: (voice over) "'Cause two can keep a secret."

Pen disappeared.

A message appeared in the clouds that had been behind her.

Worlds Colliding (Pretty Little Liars)

The Pierces: (voice over) "If one of them is dead."

(Song Ends)

---- -----

Day Two

Morning - Rosewood High School - Hallway

The storm was still heavy.

Veronica, Spencer and Peyton were walking together.

Peyton looked at Veronica. "You don't have to come inside. If it were cancelled, nobody would be here."

Veronica looked at a nearby teacher. "Oh, excuse me. Hi. Are they actually gonna give this test today?"

"Decision hasn't been made yet," the teacher told her. 

"Well, can you tell me who makes that decision?" Veronica asked. "They're predicting a major storm."

Spencer and Peyton were at their lockers, putting their stuff up. They saw Alex walking into the hallway with his friends.

Spencer looked at Peyton. "You didn't say Alex was taking the test here, too."

Peyton closed her locker, turning to face Spencer. "Why do you think I wanted Mom to drop us off and leave?"

Alex walked up to Peyton, smiling. "Hey, you."

Peyton smiled. "Hi."

Alex and Peyton started to kiss for a long moment.

Spencer was left standing there awkwardly for a moment, looking away to see their mother walking closer, tapping Peyton on the arm to get her attention. "Peyton."

Veronica walked toward them. "Nobody here can make a decision to save their life. It's absurd."

"Um, Mom?" Peyton asked. "This is Alex Santiago. Alex, this is my mother." Veronica and Alex seemed to recognize each other. "Alex, that I went to homecoming with."

Veronica put on a fake smile. "Of course. Hi. From the club."

Alex chuckled nervously. "Yeah."

"It just took me a moment to put it together," Veronica told them. "So, you're Alex."

Alex nodded, looking at Peyton. "Listen, uh, I need to check in." He looked at Peyton and Spencer. "Um, nice seeing you." He looked at Veronica. "Nice meeting you."

Alex walked away.

Aria, Dakota, Hanna, Madison and Pen walked toward the three Hastings girls.

The teacher walked toward them. "Test is on today. Rosewood students should register in the library."

"But like half the school isn't here yet," Dakota told them.

"And may never make it," Aria told them. "We saw this huge tree down on Sawmill Road, and they've already closed off York Street."

Wilden walked closer. "That wasn't because of a tree. York Street's been closed since last night."

"Why?" Hanna asked.

"Somebody decided to pay a visit to Alison DiLaurentis' memorial and destroy it," Wilden answered. "Shattered the tiles, broke the bench."

The girls were in shock.

Pen was heartbroken. "W--when did this happen?"

"We had to cordon off the area, given it's an ongoing murder investigation," Wilden told them.

"Maybe you can spare them the details, especially Penelope," Veronica told him. "They're about to take their test."

"Right," Wilden told them. "Good luck on the test, ladies."

Wilden walked away, leaving the girls who were still in shock.

"We should probably get to the library," Dakota told them.

The girls walked off.

---- -----

Another Hallway

Mara had brought Lucy and Emily to the school for their test, standing with them at their lockers. "Are you guys sure you're gonna be okay to do the test today?"

"Yeah," Lucy answered. "It's not like we have much other choice."

Wilden walked toward them. "Hello, Fields girls." Mara gave him an annoyed look because of their last encounter. "What are you doing here, Mara? Just dropping off your sisters?"

"And they called because they're understaffed," Mara answered. "I'm on the sub list. I have been since I finished college."

Wilden nodded. "Still haven't heard from Toby, huh?

"No," Emily answered.

"Well, let me know when you do," Wilden told them. "Alison's memorial was vandalized last night." Mara and Lucy looked at him in surprise. "And Toby was spotted at a gas station just off the interstate a few days ago, so clearly he's still with us. But why would he run away if he didn't have anything to hide? Any idea where he might be staying?"

"We don't know anything about it," Lucy answered.

Emily looked down at her muddy tennis shoes, closing her locker.

"Well, you should check your basement," Wilden told them.

"And maybe you should let the girls focus on their test rather than an investigation that has to do with two of their friends," Mara told him. "We get it, you're trying to do their job. Now they have to do theirs, too."

Wilden didn't answer, looking annoyed but resigned.

Emily and Lucy smirked in amusement, walking away. Mara followed them.

---- -----

Library 

The girls were registering, gathered to talk. Lucy and Emily weren't there with them yet.

Pen sighed worriedly. "I can't believe it was trashed. Just when you thought that A would give it a rest."

"It's like Toby had to kill Alison all over again," Spencer told them.

"Toby?" Hanna repeated. "What do you mean, Toby? His motorcycle was totaled. Isn't he dead?"

"I hear more from Alison now then when she was alive," Peyton told them.

"You guys, I thought we decided that A wasn't Toby," Dakota told them. "A was happy to have Toby out of the picture."

"How do we know that Toby didn't just send that text?" Aria asked. "And why are we suddenly trusting A? A made fake bracelets to mess with us."

Emily and Lucy walked up to join them.

"Emily, Lucy, where've you been?" Madison asked, eager to change the subject. "I thought we were all supposed to meet here together."

"I know," Emily told them. "I'm sorry. We got held back by Wilden. He told us about Ali's memorial."

"Yeah," Lucy agreed sadly. "Pen, I'm so sorry." Pen nodded sadly. "So, what have we missed?"

"Other than the obvious, not much," Pen answered.

Aria saw Ella walking up to the school with an umbrella through the glass windows. "What is my mom doing here?"

---- -----

Hallway

Ella walked in. 

Evan walked toward her. "Mom, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I tried calling you, but your phone must be turned off for the test," Ella told him. 

"Why are you here?" Evan asked.

"They called and said they needed proctors," Ella answered. "I'm on the sub list, just like Mara."

"You are?" Evan asked. "Since when?"

"Well, since they cut my hours at the gallery and I'm paying rent to live above it," Ella answered. "I filled out an application last Monday."

"What, to teach?" Evan asked. Ella nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, sweetie, I was going to when you came over for dinner, but then you canceled on Monday... and Tuesday, and then on Wednesday," Ella answered. 

"Yeah, this week's been intense," Evan told her. "Those were the three days that Dakota was missing after she got kidnapped on homecoming night, remember? I was hanging out with Pen those days because she was really worried about Dakota, so I wanted to make sure that Pen was okay, too.

"I remember," Ella answered. "And I understand. I just, you know, I would like to see you in the flesh." Evan sighed, looking away. "But you don't really plan on ever coming over, do you?"

"I can't," Evan told her. "Look, if I did, it'd be like saying I'm okay with you and Dad living apart."

"But we are," Ella told him.

"I know," Evan told her.  "Just 'cause you were ready for this doesn't mean that I am. Or that Aria is, or that Mike is." Ella bit her lip, knowing that he was right. "I gotta get to the library and get ready."

Evan walked away.

---- -----

Marin House - Kitchen

(Song:) Never Get Enough - Honeypie 

Ashley was sitting at the counter of the kitchen, on her laptop, listening to music and paying bills online. Her phone rang. She answered. "Hello?"

"Ashley, it's Byron Montgomery," Byron told her. 

"Oh, hey," Ashley told him. "How are you?"

"I'm kinda screwed," Byron answered. He was standing at home in the dark by the window so that he could use the light from outside to see the paper in front of him. "I've got this fax to send, and we've just lost power. Is it out on your side of the street, too?"

"No," Ashley answered. "It's fine. You're welcome to come over here if you need to use the fax."

Ashley stood, walking toward the fridge, opening the doors to get something to eat.

"Really?" Byron asked. "Well, listen, I don't want to disturb you."

"No, it's okay," Ashley told him. "I was just, um... ordering something from a catalogue, but you can come over."

"Great," Byron told her. "Listen, um... Do you mind if I use your toaster, too? I'll bring my own bread."

Ashley smirked in amusement. "Uh, you may also want to bring your own jelly. I'll see you soon."

They hung up.

(Song Ends)

---- -----

Rosewood High School - Library

All of the Rosewood students who were taking the test were gathered in the huge library.

The teacher from before stood in front of everyone. "The test will now begin at 10:00. If this interferes with any plans you've made for the afternoon, I suggest you make some calls." She noticed that Lucas was sitting on a table and typing nonstop on his phone. "If you didn't bring a phone, I am sure this tap-happy gentleman over here would be glad to lend you his."

Lucas turned to Hanna. "What? Was she talking to me?"

"You didn't miss anything," Hanna told him.

"Do you want to borrow my phone?" Lucas asked.

Hanna smirked. "Your brain. Can you do the math section for me?"

Lucas chuckled. "Hey, I'm already your marketing manager. You just got three hits on your leather jacket."

Hanna smiled.

Mona walked in, looking at Hanna. "Hey, there, Lady H." She stopped when she saw Lucas. "I know you also answer to that, Hermie, but I was talking to her."

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Nice bag."

"Listen to you, in touch with your feminine side," Mona told him tauntingly. "So, would that be your right or your left?" Hanna and Lucas were chuckling at something ironic. "What's so funny?"

Hanna shook her head. "Nothing. You need to sign in."

"They know I'm here," Mona told them. She looked at Lucas. "You can go now. This beauty doesn't need a beast."

Lucas looked at Hanna, but she didn't say anything. He stood, walking away.

Lucy was sitting at a table with Spencer, Aria and Emily. Her phone lit up, put on silent. She looked at the text from A.

Hey, Luce. You weren't the only one with Great Expectations. Check it out. xoxo

-- A

Wilden was talking to the teacher. "Who would I speak to about getting into the boys' locker room?"

"I'd have to find a custodian," the teacher told him. "Do you want to follow me?"

"No, that's all right," Wilden answered. "I'm gonna wait here."

Hanna sat at a table with Pen, Madison and Peyton. They were sitting at the table next to Spencer, Aria, Lucy and Emily.

Madison was talking about Wilden. "He's freaking me out. Whose locker is he poking into now?"

"He's desperate," Pen told them. "Mara's got him under her evil eye and Jason's breathing down his neck."

Wilden walked toward the girls. "Sorry about the memorial. I know how hard you girls worked on it. Shocking, though, right, something like that could happen out in the open and nobody saw anything?"

Mara saw that Wilden was talking to the girls, walking up to them. "Well, everybody here was probably studying for the exam that they're about to take, so you might wanna look for eyewitnesses somewhere else."

Wilden was annoyed but unsurprised that Mara was trying to stop him from questioning the girls right then, giving her a look. Mara raised her eyebrows in response, not backing down.

Wilden looked at the girls. "So you were all studying together last night, then?"

"Not together," Spencer answered. "Peyton and I were at home."

"Same with me and Madison," Hanna told them.

"I was studying with Evan at home," Aria told them.

"What about you, Dakota?" Lucy asked.

"I was working at the grille before I went home and passed out," Dakota answered. She looked at Wilden sarcastically. "Check with my boss if you have to."

"Lucy?" Peyton asked. "Em?"

Emily sighed. "Lucy and I were studying in her room."

Lucy looked confused, as if that was a lie.

Mara looked at Wilden. "Satisfied?"

Wilden didn't answer, giving Mara a look that she returned, walking out of the library.

"Mara, seriously, what is going on between you two?" Emily asked.

"It's just an old rivalry that we had going back in college days," Mara told them. "Don't worry about it." 

Lucy stood, turning to go further into the library. 

"Luce, where you going?" Pen asked.

Lucy cleared her throat. "To the restroom. I'll be back soon."

Lucy walked toward the door, making sure they thought she was leaving the library to go to the bathroom, heading back into the stacks, finding the book 'Great Expectations' on a shelf, looking through it. A letter fell out of the book to the floor. She knelt down to pick it up, seeing that it was a letter from Emily to Alison. She took out the letter to read it. 

---- -----

Elsewhere 

The other girls were still sitting at their two tables.

Emily's phone buzzed. She took it out to look at the text from A.

Define 'Desertion'. Lucy found your old letter to Alison. Who are you gonna lose next, Em? 

-- A

Emily looked around worriedly.

---- / -----

Emily was off looking for Lucy.

Pen was sharpening her pencil.

The other girls were sitting at their tables. Mona was sitting at the table behind Hanna, with her back to her.

Evan walked in with other boys.

Pen saw him. "Evan, hey."

"Oh, hey," Evan told her.

Pen walked toward Evan. "Hey. Are you talking the test in here, too?"

"If we ever take it," Evan answered. "Only eight kids showed up from the other school here, and only a few of my friends."

"I saw you talking to your mom earlier," Pen told him. "Is everything okay?"

"Not 'okay' okay, but at least we're talking," Evan answered.

Pen chuckled nervously, nodding. "Yeah. Hey, listen. I know that you ditched going to your mom's because the three days that Dakota was missing, but I hope I'm not the reason that you were blowing off your mom."

"You're not," Evan answered. "You are not. I just... it was an intense few days, you know? Not just for you and your friends, but for my family, too. So, getting a little distance from that... was a little helpful."

"Right," Pen agreed. "Are you okay?"

Evan nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"It's just... you're always there when I needed you," Pen told him. "So... feels like I gotta return the favor."

Evan smiled. "Thanks. But I'm okay."

Pen smiled, nodding. Evan kissed her for a moment. Pen kissed back, but they pulled away when a teacher passed by and gave them a look.

---- ----- 

Elsewhere 

Peyton and Alex were talking nearby the windows, alone, getting ready for the test.

Peyton hesitated. "I don't know what happened between you and my mom at the club. I know she can be kind of a handful. I've seen her send back a napkin because it had, like, a loose thread."

Alex looked awkward. "I think I should look at my math stuff. I can't talk about this."

"Okay," Peyton told him.

Alex walked away to study.

---- -----

Elsewhere 

Mona turned in her seat toward Hanna, seeing that Lucas was in the shelves a distance away, texting and looking at Hanna and laughing. "Okay, what gives? Why is he/she into me?"

"He's not into you," Hanna told her. She pointed at Mona's bag. "Um, he helped me sell that bag. You bought it online, right? Well, it's mine."

"Excuse me?" Mona asked.

"That's not the original handle," Hanna explained. "I broke it on a roller coaster at Jolly Roger's. You bought my bag."

Mona chuckled fakely. "Yeah, I knew that. I bought it as a goof."

"Really?" Hanna asked skeptically.

Mona smiled. "Yes. But forget about me. What's going on with you? You've befriended somebody from a different species and you've turned your closet into a swap meet. What are you, poor now?"

"No," Hanna answered. "I just had to sell a few things to build up a little cash for Dakota's birthday present. After what happened." Mona nodded. "Otherwise I would give you back your money."

"Don't bother," Mona told her. "Take my Andrew Jacksons and introduce them to your Benjamin Franklin. Put it towards my birthday present. I registered at Saks."

Hanna smiled politely but rolled her eyes when Mona turned her back to her.

Aria stood, walking past them, toward the counter. She stopped walking when she saw a picture of the 'Club of the Month' featuring the poetry club, with Ezra as the faculty adviser. 

The teacher from before noticed Aria. "Need something?"

"Uh, no," Aria answered. "If this test isn't happening, are we allowed to leave the room?"

"They just posted a tornado watch in Delaware County," the teacher told her. "No one's going anywhere. Have a seat."

Aria nodded, going to take a seat.

Madison was going through her studies on the floor to have space away from the other girls.

Noel approached Madison, sitting next to her. "Tell me you're a basketball fan."

Madison chuckled. "Why?"

"Got floor seats to the Sixers game Friday night," Noel answered. "They're playing the Celtics."

Madison smiled. "So, took me to a concert on a double date, and then taking me to a basketball game? Either you're trying too hard, or you know how to treat a girl."

Noel smiled. "So, is that a yes?"

"Well..." Madison trailed off, teasing him. "It sounds like fun. So sure."

"Okay, cool," Noel told her. "Hey, for future reference... do you like hockey? Never mind, no girl likes hockey."

Madison chuckled.

Noel stood to leave.

"Wait, where are you going?" Madison asked. "They said we couldn't leave the building."

"There are other rooms around here that are more fun than this," Noel told her. "Wanna come?"

Madison smiled, nodding. Noel offered her his hand, that Madison took so he could help her up. They smiled, walking out of the library together.

---- -----

Marin House - Kitchen

Byron was using the fax machine.

Ashley was making the toast. "So, how do you like your toast? Barely warm, or burnt to a crisp?"

"Uh, whatever's easier," Byron answered. 

The power was flickering, eventually going out.

Ashley turned to face Byron. "Barely warm it is."

Byron chuckled. "Uh, wait, no. Listen, let's just wait a second. The lights will come back on."

They waited, but the house remained dark.

"I better look for some candles," Ashley told him.

"No, no, no, no, don't do that," Byron told her. "The power is gonna come back on. It has to. This was due yesterday."

Ashley started to look for candles as she talked. "What is it?"

"Uh..." Byron trailed off. "Jeez. It's a... it's a permission slip. Mike is on a lacrosse trip, and I forgot to send in his permission slip.  Ella always handled this stuff, and I... I just forgot. I can't keep up."

Ashley walked closer with two small candles. "Can you call the coach?"

Byron sighed. "Oh, I don't know. You know, I'm not doing very well at this... this whole, uh, single-parent thing. Everything is just falling through the cracks."

"You've only been on your own for... less than a week, Byron," Ashley told him. "You should cut yourself some slack."

---- -----

Rosewood High School - Music Room 

Noel was holding a guitar, playing a few chords. 

Madison sat next to him. "Do you play?" 

"Shh," Noel told her. "It's a secret."

"Why?" Madison asked.

Noel chuckled. "My parents have this recurring nightmare I'll bail on college and beg for quarters in the subway."

Madison chuckled.

Noel started to play a song called 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes' by Sandy Denny & The Strawbs.

Madison was surprised but pleased to hear it. "I know that. My parents listened to it. They--they used to." From outside, they could hear the storm getting worse, with lightning and thunder, illuminating in through the windows. "Whoa. So intense."

"I could play louder," Noel told her, starting to play the guitar louder.

Madison waited for a moment, starting to sing. "Across the evening sky / All the birds are leaving."

---- -----

Library 

Lucy was sitting on the floor of the library in between the shelves. Mara and Emily were looking for her until they could find her.

Madison: (voice over, singing) "But how can they know it's time for them to go?"

Lucy was having a flashback of Pen giggling.

---- -----

Flashback

Day - Rosewood High School - Library

Pen was sitting on the floor in the stacks, reading a book, giggling.

Lucy walked toward her. "What's so funny?"

"Their names," Pen answered. "Pip. Mr. Wopsle. Uncle Pumblechook. They all sound like stuffed animals."

Lucy chuckled, sitting with Pen. "I can't believe you already finished it."

"Want me to tell you what happens?" Pen asked. "I can make you a cheat sheet." They both chuckled. Pen trailed a hand through Lucy's hair. "You know, you should really let me braid your hair sometime."

Lucy sighed. "You know how we saw the older girls do with the Jenna Thing, but they don't know that we know about what happened, because we don't want to tell them and have the wrong people overhear. Well, last night, I had a dream about Jenna."

"Lucy, don't," Pen told her. "Okay, stop thinking about that. There's all sorts of operations and stuff they can do."

"I dreamed that she came back and she was fine," Lucy told her, slowly starting to smile. "She could see perfectly, and she forgave the older girls for what they did, and she forgave us younger girls for keeping it a secret."

Pen smiled. "That's why I love you. You're big on happy endings, and you're so sweet."

"I learned it from Emily and Mara," Lucy told her. "Mara taught us to believe that there is good out there even if we can't see it. She taught us to be big on happy endings, because she is, too."

Pen looked at her book. "So is Dickens, by the way. Pip gets Estella in the end. Can I read you something?" Lucy nodded. Pen started to read aloud. "'I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.'" They looked at each other. "Did you get to that part yet?"

Lucy nodded, surprising both herself and Pen when she leaned closer to kiss Pen. She pulled back immediately, ashamed and embarrassed. "I'm sorry."

"Lucy..." Pen trailed off. "It's okay. It's just... you surprised me."

Lucy sighed, looking down, blushing. "I surprised myself. I'm not like that. I swear. I'm not gay. I'm just..."

"I get it," Pen told her. "You're bi-curious. It's not anything to be ashamed of."

"It is when you're in my family," Lucy told her.

"Have you... told anyone?" Pen asked.

"No," Lucy answered shamefully. "Not even Mara, or Emily, or... anyone. I don't want anyone to know because I don't want them to see me like that."

"I get it," Pen told her. "It's just... I have this guy I like, and I don't..."

Lucy nodded. "I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..."

"It's okay," Pen told her. "I don't judge. And I'll keep your secret."

Lucy smiled slightly in relief, still nervous and shameful, nodding.

---- -----

Now

Day - Rosewood High School - Library

Lucy was sitting in the stacks, leaning back against the case, looking over her shoulder.

Madison: (voice over, singing) "I know it will be so until it's time to go."

Lucy picked up the letter and the book that she had found by A's clues in her texts, looking confused.

Madison: (voice over, singing) "So come the storms of winter, and the birds in spring again."

Mara and Emily looked around the stack of the books.

Madison: (voice over, singing) "I have no fear of time."

---- -----

Music Room

Noel was playing the guitar.

Madison was sitting next to him, finishing singing the song. "For who knows how my love grows? / And who knows where the time goes?" As they were finishing the song, they were looking at each other and smiling. "Who knows... where the time goes?"

Madison and Noel finished the song together, finally leaning closer to kiss slowly and softly. They pulled away, looking at each other, smiling a little, kissing again.

---- -----

Hallway

Aria was leaving the bathroom, about to go back to the library. She stopped walking in shock, looking down the hallway.

Ezra was just walking into the hallway, stopping when he saw Aria. They were both looking at each other in silence.

---- / -----

Ezra's Classroom

Ezra and Aria walked into the hallway to talk alone in the dark.

"So, you're back," Aria told him.

"I never left," Ezra told her.

"Well, you were out," Aria told him. "Were you sick? I only ask because you never answered my calls... or my emails."

"I went to New York," Ezra told her.

"Why?" Aria asked.

Ezra sighed. "To... deal with family issues."

"Family issues?" Aria repeated skeptically.

"My issues," Ezra answered. "I needed to clear my head."

Ezra sat down.

"Okay, are you clear?" Aria asked. "Do you know what you want?"

"I interviewed at another school, and..." Ezra trailed off.

"So what you want is to not be here at all?" Aria asked.

"Will you please let me finish?" Ezra asked.

"I'm sorry," Aria told him sarcastically. "I've just gotten used to filling in the blanks myself. You tell me at homecoming that you got a haircut for me, and then you just fall off the face of the earth? I spent days thinking about you."

Ezra stood. "I thought about you every second I was gone. But I also thought about the consequences, the questions from the principal, the school board, your parents."

"My parents?" Aria repeated.

"We just can't go back to the way it was," Ezra told her. "Things need to change."

Aria shook her head. "No, they already have."

Aria walked out of the room, starting to cry when he couldn't see.

---- -----

Marin House - Kitchen 

Byron and Ashley were standing next to six lit candles, drinking wine by the counter.

Byron hung up his phone. "Mm. I think I just lost service."

Ashley walked toward him, sitting down. "Hanna just sent me a text. The girls are fine."

Byron nodded. "Oh, good."

Ashley pointed at his wine. "Do you want an ice cube for that? We should use them before they melt."

Byron hesitated, swishing his wine around in the glass. "Do you know why Ella left?" Ashley hesitantly nodded. "Does everyone on the street know?" Ashley pressed her lips together awkwardly, nodding. Byron sighed. "Well, at least one person's still willing to let me use her fax."

Ashley brushed her hair off her shoulder. "I don't take sides. I know that things are never black and white."

"It's so bizarre, isn't it?" Byron asked. "I mean, you spend this huge chunk of your life as a couple, and then suddenly you're not... a couple. You may as well just disappear. It's almost like you don't exist."

"I had the same conversation with Jean, the other day," Ashley explained. "Talking to her about what went down with her, Dakota, and Chris." She refilled both their glasses of wine. "Compared to them, we have it easy. After Dakota getting hurt, and Chris disappearing from town because Dakota and Jean kicked him out..."

"How are they?" Byron asked. "I mean, really?"

"A lot worse than we are," Ashley answered. "A lot worse than our kids are. The way that I remind myself that we have it easy is looking at what's happening to them, and it makes me want to help reassure them that things will get better."

Byron nodded in agreement and understanding. "See, I've got this faculty dinner to go to next Saturday night, and honestly, I don't think I can do it." Ashley took a drink. "It's at this Moroccan restaurant out by campus. I'm not very adventurous with foods I can't pronounce. Ella was my taste-tester."

"You should call me," Ashley told him. "I'll walk you through the menu."

"Why don't you come with me and make sure I don't eat goat?" Byron asked sarcastically.

"I've been there," Ashley told him. "They do a very nice goat."

They both chuckled.

---- -----

Rosewood High School - Locker Room

The teacher was ushering all the students into the locker room. "Move. All the way in, people. You don't need to touch every locker. Come on."

Lucas looked at Hanna. "This sucks. First time I get to photograph a real tornado, and they shove us in a room without windows."

Hanna smirked slightly in confusion. "You don't want to see a real tornado."

"Of course he does," Mona told her. "He wants to get to Oz so he can ask the wizard for a penis."

"Mona, can I talk to you for a sec?" Hanna asked in annoyance, pulling Mona aside, toward where Dakota was sitting. "Why can't you leave him alone? What has he ever done to you besides remind you that two short years ago, we were him?"

"He bugs me," Mona told her. 

"Yeah, well, I think you're the one who needs a trip to Oz," Dakota told her. "See if the wizard can find you a heart."

Mona glared, while Hanna smirked in amusement.

All the other students sat down on the floor.

Peyton sat down next to Alex, who was studying. "Hey,  I don't think this test is gonna happen today. You can take a break."

"Not all of us sailed through Trig," Alex told her.

"Alex, are we ever gonna get past this?" Peyton asked.

"Past what?" Alex asked.

"Whatever happened between you and my mom," Peyton answered.

"Peyton..." Alex trailed off.

"Look, you don't have to talk about it," Peyton told him. 

"It's not up to me to tell you," Alex told her. "It's up to your mother."

Alex stood, walking away.

---- -----

Library

Emily was standing in the library, gazing off.

---- -----

Flashback

Day - Rosewood High School - Girls' Locker Room 

Emily and Alison were getting dressed, while Emily was mostly dressed, and Alison was in a towel after a shower.

"I need to find a French family that's dying to host a nice girl from Pennsylvania," Alison told her. "Paris would be so awesome." She turned to face Emily, dropping her towel to reveal her naked body while they continued to get dressed. "Roll out of bed, eat a croissant, shop for two hours, take a nap in the Louvre, eat another croissant, shop for two hours." She picked up her white lace bra, showing it to Emily. "Oh, have you seen this? I got it in the French catalogue. They have them in, like, every color." She pulled the bra on, turning her back to Emily. "Do me a favor? Hook it for me, would you?" Alison had her head tilted to the side purposefully to expose it to Emily. Emily nodded, pulling her hair aside, hooking the bra closed, resting her hand on Alison's bare shoulder, kissing her neck. Alison turned to face her. They looked at each other, kissing a little kiss, before Emily kissed her more deeply and passionately. Alison pulled away. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," Emily told her, flustered. "I just..."

"You just what?" Alison asked. "Just because we kissed, Emily, doesn't mean I'm into you like that. A kiss is a kiss. I like boys, and trust me, if I'm kissing you, it's because it's practice for the real thing." Emily was hurt and embarrassed, grabbing her stuff, starting to walk away. Alison was annoyed. "Where you going? You're my ride, remember?"

Emily stopped walking, leaning against the lockers, but she didn't look at Alison.

---- -----

Now

Day - Rosewood High School - Library

Lucy was still sitting on the floor in the library stacks, holding the letter from Emily to Alison.

Emily walked toward Lucy. "You shouldn't be reading that."

Lucy stood, startled and sheepish. "I'm sorry. It's just... a year ago, Pen and I were reading that book, and A sent me a text saying that I needed to read it, and I found the letter, and..."

"I know what happened, because A texted me saying that you found the letter," Emily told her, taking the letter from Lucy. "How much of it did you read?"

Before Lucy could answer, the power went out in the library, startling both Emily and Lucy. They heard noises in the distance.

"Hello?" Lucy called. "Someone here?" Two books fell to the floor from the shelves on either side of Lucy and Emily, making both sisters jump and gasp. Emily and Lucy split up to go into the opposite sides of the stacks to see who was pushing the books, but didn't see anyone. More books feel toward both of them, hitting them, making them jump and gasp. "Oh, my God."

"What is happening?" Emily asked. "Hello? Is someone here?" Lucy and Emily met back up in the first stack, seeing that the book Lucy had been reading was still there, but the letter and Emily's bag was gone. "Where's my bag?"

"I don't know," Lucy told her worriedly, calling out. "Hello?" She walked toward the book on the floor, picking up, flipping through it to make sure that the letter wasn't in there, turning to Emily anxiously. "The letter's gone."

They were both worried and anxious.

---- / -----

Storage Closet 

Ezra was looking around the closet with a flashlight.

Mara walked in. "Mr. Fitz? Hi. Uh, they need first aid supplies, too."

"Is somebody hurt?" Ezra asked.

"No, no, no, no," Mara answered. "It's just a preventative measure. I'm Mara Fields. Lucy and Emily's sister."

They shook hands.

"Yeah, the school told me that they would be calling in names from the sub list," Ezra told her. "Surprised that two students' older sister came."

"Yeah, well, I went to college for teaching, but I was a complete wreck at the time, so I'm amazed that I got this far," Mara told him, chuckling. "To be honest."

Ezra chuckled. "Yeah. Honestly, I'm surprised that I've come this far myself."

Mara pointed at the lights that were on in the room. "Why are these lights working?"

"Uh, emergency fixtures?" Ezra suggested, not sure for himself. "I guess the generator just kicked in."

"Do you think they have anything to eat in here?" Mara asked. "We've got some jangled nerves out there, and I think food would really help."

Ezra looked around. "Well, why don't we take a look under here?" They knelt down to look under a table. Ezra cleared his throat. "Uh, h--how are you doing... with the storm?"

Mara smirked. "Oh, me? I love this weather. As long as I don't have to fly through it." Ezra chuckled. "Which, if we were on a plane right now, I'd probably be in your lap."

"Uh, how many waters do we need?" Ezra asked.

"Uh, I would bring them all," Mara answered. "Can you shine that light over here?"

"Sure," Ezra answered, shining the light over to where Mara pointed.

"You would think they'd have protein bars or something," Mara told him, annoyed at the school. "Did they at least open the school cafeteria this morning?"

"Uh, I don't know," Ezra told her. "I got here late. Drove back from New York."

"You did?" Mara asked. "Wow. In this weather, that's dedication." They stood with the food and the water. "No wonder all the girls talk so highly about you. You know, my sisters, their friends. You know the girls from the memorial."

"Right," Ezra answered. "I missed the memorial, but I know which girls you're talking about. I am grateful to have them in my classes. They're all, uh, very engaged."

"Good," Mara told him. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," Ezra answered.

"Are there any other openings in the school, for like, a full time thing?" Mara asked. "I mean, I know that Ella Montgomery, her hours at the gallery were cut down and she wants to take up substitute teaching. But I wanted to see if there's an actual stand in teacher job in this school. You know, I don't have a job, and I just want to try to get out there on my own, out of my parents' house. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and my dad and my sisters..."

"But it's time to get out on your own," Ezra finished.

"Yeah," Mara answered. "And I don't like any other jobs that I've tried, because I suck at waitressing, and that's pretty much all that there is in this town, and I don't cook, so..."

"Well, you're closer to the students' ages here," Ezra told her. "You can understand them more, and be engaged with the students. Yeah, I think the male students would find you most interesting." 

Mara chuckled in amusement, nodding. "Yeah. I kinda just wanna be around here for the girls, you know. They're all going through a rough time. Aria's parents are splitting up. Madison and Hanna are going through klepto issues that they're trying to solve. Emily and Lucy are trying to figure out who they are. Spencer and Peyton are always fighting with their family about differences and whatnot. Pen had to go through losing her sister Alison, leaving, coming back to finding out that she was dead, making a memorial for her only for it to be destroyed. And Dakota just got kidnapped and saved by guys from her father's past that wanted to kill her if they didn't get their money that they wanted, so she and her mother kicked her father out of town."

"They're troubled girls, yeah," Ezra told her. "I get it if you want to keep an eye on them in school."

"Yeah, there just seems to be something more going on with them," Mara told him. "And I want them to know that it's okay if they have someone there for them. Other than each other. I might have been a drunk, stoner party girl back in the day that couldn't think straight... but I changed. We all had to. And I wanna be there for them."

"I'm sorry," Ezra told her. "I wish that I could do more to help. But as for their grades, all of them seem to be doing exceptionally well, despite everything they're going through. I haven't noticed anything... alarming when it comes to school. They're all very strong."

Mara chuckled in agreement, nodding. "Yeah. But they all put up a good front, and, um, when something's wrong, or when they're hurt... they shut you out. And you could die of frostbite. I know something's going on with them, more than what they're saying. And I don't want to push them on telling the truth about what's happening, because that'll just push them away more, and..."

"So you want to be the cool older sister figure that is always there to listen, whether it's at home or at school," Ezra finished. "It's very admirable, Mara."

"Thank you," Mara told him. She looked up, seeing a box, pointing at them. "Oh, protein bars. Uh, could you grab them? I hate being short."

Ezra chuckled, stepping around her to reach up to the box. "Excuse me."

Mara stepped out of the way. "Sure."

Ezra took the box down, handing it to Mara. "You know, the girls are really lucky to have you in their lives right now. Or, all the time, actually. Having someone that cares so much about them that she'll do anything for them." Mara smiled. Ezra took down another box of protein bars. "It looks like we're gonna have to make a couple of trips."

---- -----

Locker Room 

All of the students were gathered in the dark with the power out.

Noel and Madison were sitting together on a bench.

"You have an incredible voice," Noel told her. "We should do that again."

Madison smiled. "You know, I'd actually really like that. I don't sing often, but I like it when I do."

Noel smiled.

Evan walked past Noel and Madison, toward Spencer, Dakota, Aria and Hanna, sitting down across the wall.

Pen and Peyton saw Emily and Lucy walk in.

Lucy turned to Emily. "So, where were you last night? You said that you were studying with me, but you weren't. If you were hooking up with Maya last night, you can tell the girls. It doesn't have to be this huge secret. It's not like Mara and I fell apart."

"Can we just not talk about it here?" Emily asked.

"Look, I'm just saying you can trust them," Lucy told her. "Em, you know that I get a little curious about things other than boys. You don't mind. And neither does Mara."

Wilden walked in. "Emily, I think we found something that belongs to you. Could you two girls come with me, please? Emily, Lucy, let's go."

Wilden led Lucy and Emily out of the locker room.

Aria, Spencer, Dakota, Hanna, Peyton, Pen and Madison exchanged a look, standing, following them out of the locker room.

---- -----

Library

Wilden led Lucy and Emily into the library, pointing toward where Emily's bag was on the table. "Is that your bag on the table?"

"Where'd you find it?" Emily asked.

"I shouldn't have to tell you that leaving a bag unattended in a public place, not a very smart move," Wilden told them.

The other girls walked in.

"What is going on?" Spencer asked.

"Oh, perfect," Wilden told them. "We can all be together for an update."

"No, we're supposed to be in the girls' locker room," Hanna told him.

"Yeah, well, I'm guessing you girls are used to being in places you're not supposed to be," Wilden told them. He looked at Emily. "Did you tell your friends or your sisters where you were last night, when you weren't studying for the test?" He pulled out his phone. "See, 'cause I got these really interesting photos." He handed the phone to Lucy to show her a picture of Emily kneeling at Alison's destroyed memorial. "Go ahead, Lucy. Pass it around. There's plenty more where that came from at the precinct." Aria took the phone from Lucy to see for herself. The other girls all looked. Wilden looked at Emily's muddy shoes. "And I see you didn't get a chance to clean your shoes, either, huh?"

"That's not why I went there," Emily told him.

"Really?" Wilden asked. "So you didn't go back to the memorial to finish up Toby's handiwork? Or were you just there covering up his tracks?"

"I found it like that," Emily told him. "It was already destroyed."

"Really?" Wilden asked skeptically, reaching into Emily's bag, pulling something out. "Then let me ask you a question." He pulled out a miniature statue from Emily's bag, that were from the birdbath for the memorial. "What were these doing in your bag? Souvenirs? Something Toby asked you to save so he can keep it for his trophy collection?"

Emily pushed his hand out of her face angrily. "This has nothing to do with Toby."

"Em, why do you have those?" Pen asked.

Madison looked at Wilden angrily. "You put those in there, you creep. Emily would never do that. The memorial was Mara, Emily and Lucy's idea."

"Yeah, so I heard," Wilden told them. "Nice cover, huh? What, were you and Mara in on the destruction of the memorial, too, Luce?" Lucy glared at him angrily, but didn't get the chance to speak. Wilden pulled out Emily's letter to show them, causing both Emily and Lucy to freeze. "You want me to share this with them, or would you like to?" Emily tried to take the letter, but Wilden pulled it out of her reach. "Go ahead and tell them about the angry letter that you wrote to Alison." He looked at the other girls, especially Pen. "Which is dated, by the way, three days before she disappeared."

"You had no right to read that," Lucy told him.

"Lucy, what is in that letter?" Peyton asked.

"Emily, tell them," Wilden told her. "Tell them how you wanted to punish Alison for rejecting you. Tell them how you felt relieved at the funeral." Emily looked as if she would cry, and Lucy was upset at how horrible that Wilden was making her feel. "Yeah, she wasn't gonna be around to humiliate you anymore, was she? Tell Penelope how you relieved that her sister was gone."

"No," Emily told them, horrified that he was trying to turn Pen against her. "No, Pen." She turned to face Pen desperately, who looked upset, but not angry with Emily because she knew that this couldn't be true. "I went back to that memorial to say I was sorry. There were horrible things in that letter, and I didn't mean them. Suddenly she was gone, and... I loved her as more than a friend. I just never had the chance to tell her in the right way."

Dakota looked at Wilden angrily, who looked pleased by the way he was making them feel. "Give her the letter back. Give it back to her now, or I swear to God, I will rip your head off."

"Sorry, I can't," Wilden told them. He looked at Emily. "And we're not leaving this room until you tell me what you were doing carting around pieces of Alison's memorial."

"I took them because they were the only things that weren't broken," Emily answered. 

Mara and Veronica walked in, seeing how upset the girls were with Wilden.

"What's going on in here?" Mara asked. Wilden looked nervous. "Why aren't they in the locker room with the other kids?"

Wilden ignored Mara, looking at Veronica. "Who are you?"

Veronica pointed at Spencer and Peyton. "Their mother. I mean, if this is the school's idea of keeping my daughters safe, I'm glad I came back."

Mara walked toward Emily and Lucy worriedly. "Emily, why are you crying?" 

"He accused her of killing Alison, and he said that our idea of coming up with the memorial for Ali was a cover so that we could destroy it," Lucy answered.

Mara looked at Wilden angrily. "What?"

"He went through Emily's purse, and now he's accusing--" Aria started.

"Hold it," Veronica told them. "Hold it." She looked at Wilden. "You're questioning minors without an adult present?" 

"It's not the first  time that he's done it with these girls," Mara told her. "He also accused Pen of killing her sister just because she got jealous and wanted to replace her."  She looked at Wilden incredulously. "What police department do you work for? What century are you in?"

"Mara, I would advise you--" Wilden started.

"Oh, no, I already 'advised' you to back off," Mara told him. "I told you what would happen if you kept harassing these girls."

"Anything that they've said to you is inadmissible in a courtroom, period," Veronica told him. 

"Let's go," Mara told them. "Girls, grab your things." The girls grabbed their things, walking away. Mara glared at Wilden. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"I have a homicide to solve, okay?" Wilden asked.

"Not anymore you don't," Veronica told him. "You're done. You're done with this investigation, unless you want to face me down with opposing counsel."

Veronica walked away.

Mara turned to Wilden smugly. "Told you what would happen if you kept doing what you were doing to those girls, Darren. Luckily I know the right people. And if you went after my sisters that hard because of me, I will make sure that you don't just get suspended. I will make sure that you get fired."

Wilden glared at Mara angrily.

Mara smirked smugly, turning around, walking away.

---- / -----

Locker Room

All the girls were talking to Mara and Veronica in the locker room.

"So what's gonna happen to him?" Hanna asked. "Can they get him off the force?" 

"If he's smart, he'll leave before that happens," Veronica told them.

Mara handed out protein bars to all the girls, including Veronica. "Protein bars, anyone?"

Madison took hers gratefully. "Oh, where did you get protein bars?"

Pen saw Emily sitting down, sitting next to her. "Em. I wish I'd known."

"You don't think that I..." Emily trailed off worriedly.

"No, of course not," Pen answered. "Hey, Alison loved you, and I don't know if it was in the way that you wanted her to, but I know that she did."

The teacher walked in. "Can I have your attention, please? The storm warning has just been lifted, but the test will have to be rescheduled."

All of the students smiled, cheered and clapped in relief, standing up, walking away to gather their stuff, most of them already leaving.

---- -----

Hallway 

Spencer and Peyton were getting ready to leave at their lockers.

Veronica was standing with them.

Spencer noticed that Peyton was looking around. "You looking for somebody?"

"Alex," Peyton answered. "But he might've already left."

"Didn't either of you bring an umbrella?" Veronica asked.

"Yeah," Spencer answered, pulling out their umbrellas, handing one to Peyton. They closed their lockers, turning to their mother. "Mom, why did you really come back?"

"Because Mara knew that Wilden was lurking around the school and knew that he might be trying to come after you girls again, and she was right," Veronica answered. "And I'm glad that she called me to make sure that we could stop him."

"Well, thank you for stopping in," Spencer told her.

"Yeah, seriously," Peyton told her. "Thanks."

"It was pro bono," Veronica told them. "Let's go."

"Wait," Peyton told her. "I--I really can't sit in the car the whole ride home without asking what happened between you and Alex."

"What did he say?" Veronica asked.

"Nothing," Peyton answered. "He won't talk about it."

Veronica sighed, nodding for the girls to follow her, leading them down the hallway.

---- -----

Empty Classroom 

Veronica led Peyton and Spencer into the empty classroom, so that they could talk alone in the dark for the explanation.

"Oh, my God," Spencer told them. "This requires closing a door." She looked at Peyton. "Maybe we should just walk home."

"Remember that weekend when your father took you two and Melissa to DC?" Veronica asked. "I stayed behind."

"Yeah," Spencer answered cautiously.

"I said I had to work all weekend, but that wasn't the truth," Veronica told them. "I spent most of Friday drunk. Sunday I was hung over. Saturday I don't remember at all."

"Okay, I think I actually changed my mind," Peyton told her. "I really don't need to know."

"I started at the club Friday morning," Veronica told them. "It was empty. There wasn't a soul to talk to, so I ordered a sidecar, then another and another." The three girls sat down. "By the time lunch rolled around, I'd walked through a trellis, and couldn't find my shoes. It was Alex's first week there. He kindly listened to me spill my guts,  and later poured me into a cab. With my shoes."

"Why were you spilling your guts to Alex?" Spencer asked.

Veronica sighed. "I had a doctor's appointment before I went there. They removed a lump from my breast." Spencer and Peyton were stunned and concerned. "I was feeling a little overwhelmed... and powerless. After that, I avoided the club for months. The next time I saw Alex, I made him promise that he would never, ever bring it up." 

"Mom, are you sick?" Spencer asked.

"No," Veronica answered.

"Well, why didn't you and Dad tell us?" Peyton asked.

"What makes you think your dad knows?" Veronica asked. "Girls... our family doesn't handle imperfection very well."

"Yeah, I've noticed," Peyton told her.

"Mom, being sick is not an imperfection," Spencer told her.

Veronica chuckled sadly. "Just so you know, I gave up sidecars for spritzers." Peyton and Spencer managed small smiles. "And by the way, Alex is a lovely kid. He's a keeper." 

They all smiled small smiles.

---- -----

Marin House - Kitchen

Byron was holding a lit candle up to the fax machine and a paper that Ashley was holding for him so they could see in the dark. "I'm impressed. You could do brain surgery with those hands."

Ashley chuckled. "No, honestly, I can do  pedicure." The power came back on. "Hey."

"Whoa," Byron told her. "Okay, let's--hey, let's try this again."

"Okay," Ashley told him. They were about to try the fax again when Ashley noticed something. "Wait. I think it already went. 'Transmission received'. There you go."

Byron took the paper from her, sighing. "Fantastic. Well, I owe you big time. All right, you're off the hook for carpool this week. I will drive Hanna and Madison to school every day, and I'll see you for dinner on Saturday night."

Ashley nodded. "Right. Saturday."

"You know what?" Byron asked. "I don't know what I was thinking, actually. I can't have dinner at that Moroccan restaurant this Saturday. Mike and Evan both have a lacrosse and football game late in the afternoon, and later at night, and I promised I would take their teams out afterwards. Ella even said that she would send me money for half the check since there are two teams."

"Yeah, actually, Saturday isn't good for me, either," Ashley told him. 

They both managed small, awkward smiles.

"But w--we'll figure out something," Byron told her.

Ashley nodded in agreement, chuckling. "Definitely."

"Thank you," Byron told her. "For this."

"You're welcome," Ashley told him. "Mm-hmm." Byron walked away to grab his coat. "Bye."

"Yeah, bye," Byron told her, walking out, leaving.

Ashley picked up a candle, blowing it out.

---- -----

Rosewood High School - Hallway

(Song:) Quiet Hearts - Amy Stroup 

The power was back on in the school hallway, too.

Madison was standing at her locker, getting ready to leave, looking over her shoulder toward where Noel was saying bye to one of his friends.

"All right, I'll see you later, man," Noel told him. Madison closed her locker, walking up to Noel. "Hey."

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm excited for that basketball game," Madison told him. She looked down the hallway to see that Hanna was watching them, smiling expectantly. Madison looked at Noel. "I'll see you then."

Noel smiled, nodding. "I'll see you then."

Noel and Madison looked at each other and smiled for a moment, kissing slowly and softly for a moment, pulling away. Noel walked away.

Madison looked down the hallway toward Hanna, who smiled at her proudly.

---- -----

Another Hallway

Alex was walking along, getting ready to leave.

Peyton ran up to Alex, pulling him to a stop. "Hey."

Peyton pulled Alex into a kiss, surprising him but pleasing him.

"What was that for?" Alex asked.

Peyton smiled. "I can't tell you. It's a secret."

They smiled, continuing to kiss.

Spencer saw Peyton and Alex kissing from down the hallway, smiling, shaking her head, walking along.

---- ----- 

Another Hallway 

Pen and Evan were walking along together, getting ready to leave.

"So, when are we gonna go on another date-date?" Pen asked. "I mean, the only official date that we've been together on is when you took me to homecoming. And there's just been a lot of drama since then."

Evan nodded in agreement. "Yeah, tell me about it." They stopped walking, facing each other. "So, you want a date-date, then, huh?" Pen smiled, nodding. Evan was thinking, looking down the hallway to see that Ella and Aria were waiting for Evan to come with them to go home, both of whom looked happy to see that Evan had someone to be happy with, and that Pen could also be happy with him. Evan looked at Pen. "I think I'm having dinner with my mom on Friday."

Pen smiled. "So you're finally gonna stop avoiding her?"

"Yeah," Evan answered. "And Saturday I have a game, and then we're going out with teams to eat with my dad. So... what about Sunday? Dinner, movie."

Pen smiled, nodding. "A date-date on Sunday. Works for me."

Pen wrapped her arms around Evan's neck to pull him closer into a passionate kiss. Evan returned the kiss in kind. Neither of them were worried about who could be watching.

Aria and Ella were surprised but happy to see that they were being happy.

---- -----

Library 

Lucy was looking out of the library windows to see that the skies were clearing up and that the sun was shining, managing a small smile, turning toward the table behind her to see Great Expectations sitting there, picking the book up, turning to put it on the shelf. She walked toward Emily and Mara.

Emily and Mara smiled small smiles at Lucy, who smiled back. The three sisters walked out of the library to go home.

---- -----

Outside 

Dakota walked outside, down the steps, looking around. She found Jean waiting for her by her car, looking at her in relief and a little happiness, walking toward Jean quickly, wrapping her arms around her mother tightly. Jean was surprised but pleased to see this reaction from her daughter. They pulled away, smiling small smiles.

"What was that for?" Jean asked.

"Just needed it," Dakota answered. "After everything."

Jean nodded in understanding, brushing back Dakota's hair. "Are you all right?"

"I will be," Dakota answered. "I just had... had to thank you."

"For what, sweetie?" Jean asked.

"For always being here, and doing everything that you can, even when you can't do much," Dakota answered. "It makes all the difference in the world even if you don't think it does. You know what else does?"

"No, but I know you're gonna explain what it is, and I predict that this conversation will lead to us being very happy opposed to the darkness we've been going through," Jean told her.

Dakota smiled. "You're right. I just wanted to thank you for being so strong, not just for yourself, but for me, too. That's what makes all the difference in the world. Helps me know that this will not be the end, and that things can get better."

Jean had tears in her eyes, touched from the heartfelt confession from her daughter. She pulled Dakota into her arms. "I love you."

"I love you, too," Dakota told her. They pulled away. Dakota looked around the school campus in disgust. "Can we go home now?"

Jean smiled. "Absolutely."

Dakota and Jean smiled, getting into the car, driving away.

(Song Ends)

---- -----

Inside - Hallway

Hanna was going through her locker, about to leave.

Lucas walked up to Hanna. "So, 96 bucks for your leather jacket." He was looking at his phone. "Going... going..."

Lucas turned his phone to face Hanna, smiling. 

"Gone," Hanna finished. "Cool. That was easy."

"Listen, um..." Lucas trailed off, putting his phone away. "I don't know what you or Dakota said to Mona, but thank you. She actually made it through two hours in the locker room without spitting on me."

"Yeah, you don't need to thank me," Hanna told him. "All it took was for Dakota to say that Mona needed to find herself a heart. And of course I would stick up for you. I'm your friend... geek."

Hanna smiled teasingly, starting to walk away.

Lucas turned after her. "Hanna..."

Hanna didn't hear him, walking down the hallway toward Madison. Madison smiled. Hanna and Madison walked down the hallway, out of the school.

The camera panned down to reveal that Lucas' shoes were as muddy and disgusting as Emily's shoes were, revealing that he was the one that really destroyed Alison's memorial.

---- -----

A's Lair 

There was a video of Alison on a screen. She was smiling. "I know you wanna kiss me."

The camera shot pulled back to reveal that the screen was a computer screen, and the familiar black-clad figure was putting the flash drive with the video in a yellow envelope, putting it down. It was revealed that the mailing address was: 

Rosewood Police Department

36 Van Allen Street

Rosewood, PA 19387 

'A' was written in the corner of the envelope where the sender's name and address would be. The black figure changed that 'A' into 'Anonymous' with a black felt marker.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 75 7
𝗺𝐢𝐫𝐫𝗼𝐫𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥 | ivy montgomery has a secret, a big secret concerning a relationship between her best friends brother and herself. after one of...
15K 378 13
Cassandra Elise Adams was always in her sisters shadow. Similar to the Hastings, but ten times worse. The Adams family was perfect in Rosewood's eyes...
853K 20.6K 62
❝I spy with my little eye, a devious little liar. - A❞ Edited as of: UNEDITED An entire year had passed since the disapperance of Alison DiLaurentis...
244K 5.2K 87
I know what you did last summer - A Life for Alison Dilaurentis' four best friends took a turn for the worst when the blonde mysteriously went missin...